Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

I've been sort of over it for a long time now.  I used to be die-hard in attitude, but after the Giants came into FedEx in 2008 and easily handled a lifeless Skins team on the first anniversary of ST21's death, something snapped in me and going into the next game (a Sunday night one in Baltimore), I had no expectations of the Skins winning. Of course Zorn's second season was a clown show, and Shanny's first two here were putrid. RG3 got me jazzed again, but then that crash and burn happened and its hardly been the same. When Green Bay blew past us in the playoff game following the 2015 season, I kind of just shrugged. 

I think watching the Skins games is always going to be a ritual of mine, and I'm curious to see how Haskins will fare...….I think his era will start in week 6 in Miami after the Pats boat race us at FedEx. But I also think its at the point where the waning interest to me is also just being sick of the shenanigans of the league. Too many ticky tack penalties really ruin the enjoyment of the game, particularly the fact that you can't even breathe on the QB anymore.

As for the stadium, the most recent comments I paid attention to of Bruce's more and more put the timetable of the new place as associated with the lease expiration at FedEx, so I don't expect a new home for the Skins until 2027. 

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think the Skins were a unique situation for 40 years. DC was a pro football town in a non-football region. This isn't Rust Belt/Big 10 country or Texas. The Redskins were good to great for a long time in a major city with no baseball team, a mediocre pro basketball team - save a few years in the 70s - and a hockey team, which really doesn't count. DC Metro is still not a football area. Maryland and Virginia don't exactly garner huge ratings either.

20 years of Snyder plus a whole bunch of sports options have turned DC into LA - except LA actually likes football.

I heard some old dude correct me once a few years ago when I claimed DC was a football town...and it made perfect sense: 

"DC was never a football town, it was a Redskins town." 

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think the Skins were a unique situation for 40 years. DC was a pro football town in a non-football region. This isn't Rust Belt/Big 10 country or Texas. The Redskins were good to great for a long time in a major city with no baseball team, a mediocre pro basketball team - save a few years in the 70s - and a hockey team, which really doesn't count. DC Metro is still not a football area. Maryland and Virginia don't exactly garner huge ratings either.

20 years of Snyder plus a whole bunch of sports options have turned DC into LA - except LA actually likes football.

Spot on. People are choosing to spend their sports entertainment dollars elsewhere. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I heard some old dude correct me once a few years ago when I claimed DC was a football town...and it made perfect sense: 

"DC was never a football town, it was a Redskins town." 

Yea, I used to go to one or two games a year at Byrd Stadium, because it was a cheap way to kill an afternoon. I honestly think football is behind lacrosse in Maryland high schools. I think there is more passion in the deeper Virginia suburbs and exurbs, but there is no place in the area where I feel like people live and die with high school or college football.

2 hours ago, CTskins said:

Finally, a location change would probably bring with it a name and moniker change and if a franchise were to be relocated back to Washington, the chance it would be called "Redskins" hover between slim and none.

I'm shocked, honestly, that Snyder hasn't considered changing the name at this point

1) Could you imagine the extra $$ it would bring in?  With a new name comes new logos and new jerseys.  Look at every year there is an expansion team... people JUMP all over the newest merchandise.  How many of those anniversary jerseys from (was it 2002? 2003?) do you still see around.  People gobbled them up

1a) And they will sell.  Despite the current depression, we are still a great fanbase.  If you haven't read this think piece, it makes a great argument that we are a loyal, tested fanbase and not a bunch of bandwagoners like some franchises just north.

2) It may be a spark to bring people back to the team.  A new identity, a new QB and a new stadium down the road. As much as it would suck, it could revitalize the fanbase.

Anyways, sorry for going off topic there, that point just jumped out at me.

Another thing... if the skins DID move and 8 years later a new team came to DC.... who do our current fans root for? Our relocated franchise with all of its history or the new start up in our back yard?

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Yea, I used to go to one or two games a year at Byrd Stadium, because it was a cheap way to kill an afternoon. I honestly think football is behind lacrosse in Maryland high schools. I think there is more passion in the deeper Virginia suburbs and exurbs, but there is no place in the area where I feel like people live and die with high school or college football.

You're right. I'm out in Loudoun and football is a relatively big deal there. But growing up in the 1980s and 1990s in Fairfax County (the peak of "Love Them Hogs" time), I still think high school basketball was more exciting in the region. We flocked to South Lakes to watch Grant Hill when I was a kid and there was never a draw like that locally with football. 

3 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm shocked, honestly, that Snyder hasn't considered changing the name at this point

1) Could you imagine the extra $$ it would bring in?  With a new name comes new logos and new jerseys.  Look at every year there is an expansion team... people JUMP all over the newest merchandise.  How many of those anniversary jerseys from (was it 2002? 2003?) do you still see around.  People gobbled them up

1a) And they will sell.  Despite the current depression, we are still a great fanbase.  If you haven't read this think piece, it makes a great argument that we are a loyal, tested fanbase and not a bunch of bandwagoners like some franchises just north.

2) It may be a spark to bring people back to the team.  A new identity, a new QB and a new stadium down the road. As much as it would suck, it could revitalize the fanbase.

Been rooting for the Redskins since the 60s.  The day they change the name is the day I become a Ravens fan.  

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

Been rooting for the Redskins since the 60s.  The day they change the name is the day I become a Ravens fan.  

Thank you for your response.

To be clear, I wasn't advocating it in any way.  I'm suggesting that I'm surprised Snyder has not thought to do it yet for $$$ and revitalization reasons.  Per your post, if anything, it would further drive the fanbase away.

Which means he'll probably do it.

4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I mean, I think there is some truth here.

Do people really miss the old Patriot or Buc logos? Any success either of those franchises have ever had has come after a total rebranding, including a new stadium. It's also totally forgotten now, but Kraft was going to move the Patriots to....Hartford, I think. Was it Hartford?

At what point does the name Redskins lose all the alleged value it contains? There's an entire generation that doesn't know Tony Kornheiser used to write and that do not remember the Redskins ever being good. Anyone who remotely remembers the last Gibbs playoff game is in their late 30s at this point. To everyone under that age, the Skins are a team that wants to be as successful and relevant as the Cardinals.

5 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Of course, the Boomers will always be with us.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Do people really miss the old Patriot or Buc logos? Any success either of those franchises have ever had has come after a total rebranding, including a new stadium. It's also totally forgotten now, but Kraft was going to move the Patriots to....Hartford, I think. Was it Hartford?

At what point does the name Redskins lose all the alleged value it contains? There's an entire generation that doesn't know Tony Kornheiser used to write and that do not remember the Redskins ever being good. Anyone who remotely remembers the last Gibbs playoff game is in their late 30s at this point. To everyone under that age, the Skins are a team that wants to be as successful and relevant as the Cardinals.

Of course, the Boomers will always be with us.

No.  They don't "miss" it.

But they will shell out $250 for a Mitchell and Ness throwback.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Good post...and I agree. 

You can still trot out the white-over-burgundy uniforms for our Homecoming games...

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post...and I agree. 

You can still trot out the white-over-burgundy uniforms for our Homecoming games...

I feel like Snyder has been catering to a rich old white fan base for 20 years. That's the type of fan that feels good about itself when you have the grandson of a Navajo code-breaker as an honorary captain or whatever BS he does.

And that has gotten him a 3/4 full stadium and low tv ratings. Because 1. That fan base is literally dying, and 2. Eventually, they are going to stop dragging their 60 year old bodies into that stadium to watch the team lose by 17 to Dallas.

He needs to replace his fanbase with younger fans. I mean, the Sports Junkies and their fans are all approaching 50.

I'm not even sure a winning season or two fixes things at this point.

It used to be, even in the early years of snyder, that people would get up for games. Now it's not worth spending time and money to go to games or plan your day around watching them, and it hasn't been for some time.

Most of the diehard fans are pretty apathetic at this point and I don't blame them. The team never does things right and will be quick to dash any hope when promising scenarios present themselves. 

I have my standard interest at the beginning of the season which drains away after a few games. However, my interest is continually on a shorter leash. Pretty soon I won't care to watch at all. 

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

It's a real shame that this franchise has sunken to such lows. For some strange reason, we're in year 6 of the Gruden experiment, and experiment that proved early on that it wasn't going to work. Not sure what logic or reasoning has led the powers-that-be to keep him on as HC. It's frustrating to watch him on the sidelines during games. Sure he can design plays, but that's as far as it goes; it's his ceiling. He would NEVER be hired as a HC in this league by any other team; not going to happen. His ineptitude, over 6 years, just continues to suck the life right out of this fanbase. We all have a strong disdain for the team president, and for obvious reasons.........but this franchise deserves a competent HC. When he's out-coached by Flores, who's actually trying to lose, then that'll tell you all you need to know; not that you didn't know it already.

I mean seriously we have said the same thing pretty much about every single HC with the exception of Gibbs 2, and even he, a HOF coach, could not resurrect this dumpster fire of a franchise. It is a disease known as Dan Snyder.  And until he sells this team, and we know he won't, we are stuck in mediocrity.   

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

I mean seriously we have said the same thing pretty much about every single HC with the exception of Gibbs 2, and even he, a HOF coach, could not resurrect this dumpster fire of a franchise. It is a disease known as Dan Snyder.  And until he sells this team, and we know he won't, we are stuck in mediocrity.   

His second tenure did make me appreciate him more and what he did with his festering franchise, though.

Just now, ntotoro said:

His second tenure did make me appreciate him more and what he did with his festering franchise, though.

Agreed.   I was ecstatic when he came back. And as an aside when we experienced the tragedy Sean Taylor's death there was no one I would have rather seen as a HC.  Gibbs is all class and in fact he rallied them so much that year, I will always remember them getting  into the playoffs.  

It truly is sad.  It feels like losing part of your childhood or having to say goodbye to a dear friend.

Apathy has set in.  

Not only is the stadium empty or taken over by opposing fans and the TV numbers dropping but even the action here on ES has dropped significantly over the years.

Consistent winning will cure it but we don't see that immediately on the horizon and the front office refuses to comment and we are stuck with poor Jay delivering coach speak loss each and every week.

I took my family to IKEA yesterday to shop for bedroom furniture for my stepdaughter.  During Dallas week.  I was near the stadium and had 2 sports bars within spitting distance and I was shopping...during Dallas week.

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

There's not enough Redskin fans in the stadium to actually be heard. 

Plus there's the highly likely chance that thin-skinned Snyder will start banning those fans who do chant from the stadium. Remember, he once sued an old lady.

And why do some folks think the team would never move? Everyone thought that about the Browns, Colts, Chargers, etc. They all moved because at the end of the day it is the owner's team...and he's not making any allies in the stadium-funding efforts...and his flunky Bruce Allen may actually be harming the cause judging by how much hatred he has earned with his underhanded tactics and habit of attacking the reputations of employees once they've left.

8 minutes ago, max21 said:

I get what Guice is saying here in a way but 20+ years of mediocrity will do that to us fans. 

0B2DF569-60E2-4B3C-AFD0-1CB5771904F0.jpeg

I do feel a bit for cats that have only known winning their entire lives up until now... Coming from places like  Baton Rouge, which might as well be the football version of Ancient Greece in terms of tradition, excellence, pageantry and fandom, only to get dropped into this war torn hellscape.

Thats quite a dose of reality, even  by pro standards. We truly are uniquely awful.

6 minutes ago, max21 said:

I get what Guice is saying here in a way but 20+ years of mediocrity will do that to us fans. 

He's seeing first hand how Twitter is a haven for low lifes and I bet most of those people trashing the players aren't Redkins fans.

I think he's still shaken by the guy who tweeted him that he hopes he tears another ACL, that was the night before the Philly game.

2 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Some Eagles fan tweeted that to him?  NO CLASS!!!!   :eagles_suck:

Actually I think it was a Texas fan, Guice was smack talking during the LSU vs Texas game when it happened but regardless it should give the players pause when deciding to directly interact with fans.

Archived