Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagle FANS are overrated & untested

BoycottEuphemisticFans

I live 15 minutes from Lincoln Financial Field and have lived in Eagle territory my whole life.  I know them.  After this opening game, I thought about that fanbase.  On the positive, their stadium is in fact electric.  Maybe the loudest open air stadium in the NFL.  Their crowd is into football like washington used to be decades ago.  

I was just sent this video about their fans.  And at the end of it, Ray Didinger, the only person I respect related to Philly and the Eagles goes on a long self grandizing compliment about the dedication of the Eagle fanbase.   This is 100% horse CRAP.  And the reason why is because it is nothing more than an UNTESTED THEORY from Didinger.  If you use these basic metrics:

* Average age fan of 35

* Starts watching & comprehending & really appreciating what's happening in a game at age 10

* Has then been watching football since 1994, 25 years.

Since 1994, the Eagles have had one of the best records in all of pro football.  

* 25 seasons.  14 playoff appearances, 15 playoff victories, 2 super bowl appearances and 1 super bowl title, 

* They have had 8 losing seasons in that period, sprinkled in mostly once every handful of years which is one of the LOWEST number of losing seasons of any team during that period.

So, when Eagle fans and their media constantly pat themselves on the back claiming they are such great, dedicated fans, i will ONLY accept that if they run into a period of time where they SUCK FOR A DECADE.  THEN LETS SEE WHERE THOSE FANS ARE!  Because MOST of their fans have experienced non stop winning seasons, playoff victories, exciting football at the very least september through december.   THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROCESS WHAT A LOSING CULTURE would feel like.  You know another fanbase that used to be so rabid about its football team?  The Redskins.  Today, after years of going through what eagle fans have NEVER experienced, consistent losing seasons, a decade plus drought of even winning a single playoff game, that once rabid fan base has dwindled and it isnt even discussed anymore about how great it is.   Eagle fans?  You've never been tested.  

As you said, Didinger is a respected sports guy in Philly, but keep in mind he was also in Philly in the 1960s and 1970s when the Eagles were dreadful, but the fanbase at the time still had a reputation of being passionate.

You are correct that the present-day Eagles fan over the past 25-30 years has had a lot to cheer about as far as winning seasons and, in 2017, finally a Super Bowl title. And of course over the same timeframe, Redskins fans have had very little to cheer about. However, I remember back in 2005 going to the last game of the season at the Linc where the Skins were in contention for a playoff spot and the Eagles, even though they had won the division the previous four seasons (and had gone to the Super Bowl the year before) had been devastated by injuries and were 6-9 just playing out the string. Sure, a decent number of Skins fans showed up, but came absolutely nowhere close to taking over the stadium like Eagles fans did at FedEx when their team was in a similar situation last season.

Fast forward to 2008, to the infamous Steelers game at FedEx. The Redskins had made the playoffs in 2005 and 2007, and were 6-2 heading into the MNF contest here. What does the team get rewarded with? A crowd that included tens of thousands of Steelers fans. Earlier that season the Steelers played at the Linc. I wasn't there, but I can almost promise you that there were not nearly as many Steeler fans at that game as there were here.

I guess my point in all this is that, like Didinger, you've heard broadcasters in DC talk about how passionate the Redskins fans still are.  In recent years, attendance at early season games at FedEx, particularly last season, shows otherwise. Heck, look at the Texans game last season when the Skins were like 6-3 going in, and the club and upper levels were half empty. I feel like the Redskins fanbase is just as overrated. 

The fans where boing them off the field during the 2nd quarter. 

Im not even a fan of the team and I was telling the people around me “Heyyy....chill out. Y’all still have Djax and Wents. Lots of time left and you just have to throw it now”. 

They aint real or tested. Nor do they even understand their own team. 

Were the stands at the Linc packed for the most part, though?

If so, at least the fans were there to boo. Last season the Redskins had 57K at their home opener...….and that was AFTER a convincing week 1 road victory.  Much of the Redskins magnified attendance woes last season I blame on Brian Lafemina, who probably believed too much in the supposed passion of this fanbase and thought that, by limiting supply on Stubhub, fans would pay more money to go. Yeah, not so much. I thought the Redskins really needed to lobby to make Dallas their home opener this season to avoid a attendance disaster off the bat. The first three home games (Dallas, Chicago, NE) should be fairly well-attended, but you are going to have a boatload of visiting fans at all three games.

Even though the Skins have been bad to mediocre for 25 years, each new season springs hope eternal. What does it say about the passion of the Skins fanbase that we can't get good crowds for early season games, or even when the Skins have a good record at midseason like last year?

They just won the Superbowl and are expected to be a challenger for it again. Meanwhile we are expecting 6 wins for the 15th time this decade. Not really a fair comparison. That and you living that close must have some idea of how much easier it is to get in and out of that stadium. Cannot be overstated. Takes me 2 hours to get out of fedex and back to the highway when everyone is leaving. Sunday we were out of there and on the highway in less than 30. Literally everything about that team gives them the advantage as far as fan support. Its really not a comparable situation. 

And Philadelphia is how big compared to the entire DMV? I have to drive an hour to fedex and 2 and a half hours to Linc. Thats ridiculous lol. 

39 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They just won the Superbowl and are expected to be a challenger for it again. Meanwhile we are expecting 6 wins for the 15th time this decade. Not really a fair comparison. That and you living that close must have some idea of how much easier it is to get in and out of that stadium. Cannot be overstated. Takes me 2 hours to get out of fedex and back to the highway when everyone is leaving. Sunday we were out of there and on the highway in less than 30. Literally everything about that team gives them the advantage as far as fan support. Its really not a comparable situation. 

And Philadelphia is how big compared to the entire DMV? I have to drive an hour to fedex and 2 and a half hours to Linc. Thats ridiculous lol. 

I have been to well over 100 games at FedEx since it opens. For an average 1 pm game (and we have rarely left early), I exit the stadium, drop my mother off at New Carrollton train station, and without fail am normally home in Woodbridge, VA by 6 pm.  I don't know what all the people who claim it takes them 2 hours to exit the stadium are doing.

I agree that Philly does have a better parking setup with all the lots around the stadium due to having the entire complex there. My biggest frustration going to FedEx is, once you get into the lots, finding a spot between all the folks occupying spaces with their chairs, grills, cornhole games, whatever. I know a lot of folks are all about the tailgating experience, but, aside from creating that RedZone lot, the Skins really have done nothing to help the situation in the main lots to help the flow. 

Love that pic of Mike Scott in full Kareem Abdul Jabar vs Bruce Lee pose.  😂. I got one hoped he kicked those Jersey goombas arses. Those types of drunk pipe fitters are what gives Eagles fans a bad name. 90% of us are professionals with kids that barely drink at games and are there to watch a good game and have laughs with friends. These types have no life outside sports and take their personal hate into the game.  Ending in this exact situation.  Losers. 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:16 PM, hail2skins said:

Were the stands at the Linc packed for the most part, though?

If so, at least the fans were there to boo. Last season the Redskins had 57K at their home opener...….and that was AFTER a convincing week 1 road victory.  Much of the

I appreciate you taking the time to read and then reply to this subject I wrote about, but I don't think you followed anything I wrote.  The two replies from you can be summed up as:

'Is the Eagles stadium full?'  and  'yeah, but, redskins, redskins, redskins, brian lafeminina, stubhub .....'  (???????????????????????????)

First , and I can't stress this enough, none of this has to do with the redskins and their fanbase.  So it should not be mentioned.  Or the Giants.  or the Cowboys.  Or any other team.  I wrote absolutely nothing on the subject matter you either purposely or accidentally attempted to transition this to, which can be described as a deflecting game of whataboutism in the form of eagles fanbase vs. some other fanbase.  (i.e.   yeah but skins stadium was empty last year).    No S.  So was my high school's.  Neither is relevant to this.  

Secondly, the whole point of this subject is to consider the common Eagle fan's perspective on themselves.  Watch that video again.  The NFL network doesn't make videos about Chief fans where local Kansas City radio personalities brag about how loyal the city is to their team.  Eagle fans know their reputation and they also love to tell how much better of a fanbase they are then everyone else.  And I know better.  I live RIGHT here.  In the heart of their fan territory  my whole life.  Currently 15 minutes from their stadium. 

(The following is me attempting to re-explain this again, for you).   

Knowing them well, friends with many, and a lifetime spent listening to them on their radio airwaves, Eagle fans LOVE to view themselves as this unbreakable unit, with a ceaseless spiritual connection with their beloved football team that will endure till the end of time, while snarkily intimating that because of their specific team loyalty to 'the birds' they are somehow made of superior material than other citys' fans, and the connection between team and fan, fan and team reverberates in the hearts and minds of Philadelphia that other towns just don't know....   Listen to Gagaldi gush about this in the video.  Didinger.  I've heard this nonsense for the past decade by the way to no end on their sports talk shows.   It's all BS.    Because THEY don't know. 

A modern day Eagle fan, not the handful of old fogies  who may have sat in the stands at Connie Mack stadium in the days Chuck Bednarik, but the average 40 year old fan whic makes up the vast vast vast majority of birds fans today, comfortably make this god-like claim THAT  their love for the team will never die is based on ZERO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER.    That team, as I have documented, is one of the winningest organizations in the sport for the past 2 decades. They HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED AS A FANBASE.  To see if a fanbase would erode to a point to challenge Ray Didinger's claim is not MERELY have a down season like you mentioned that they had in 2005 and check the stadium attendance in some game at the end of that season.  How about they have a down DECADE!!  Then Eagle fans, come to me, and show me how passionate you are about your team, when you've averaged 6 wins per season for a decade.   Then, and ONLY then, would we really be able to test the eagle fans, and their chest pounding radio personalities of their true resolve.  until then, they're just talking S.  And THAT is actually the longest tenured pastime in the city of brotherly love.

8 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

Knowing them well, friends with many, and a lifetime spent listening to them on their radio airwaves, Eagle fans LOVE to view themselves as this unbreakable unit, with a ceaseless spiritual connection with their beloved football team that will endure till the end of time, while snarkily intimating that because of their specific team loyalty to 'the birds' they are somehow made of superior material than other citys' fans, and the connection between team and fan, fan and team reverberates in the hearts and minds of Philadelphia that other towns just don't know....   Listen to Gagaldi gush about this in the video.  Didinger.  I've heard this nonsense for the past decade by the way to no end on their sports talk shows.   It's all BS.    Because THEY don't know. 

A modern day Eagle fan, not the handful of old fogies  who may have sat in the stands at Connie Mack stadium in the days Chuck Bednarik, but the average 40 year old fan whic makes up the vast vast vast majority of birds fans today, comfortably make this god-like claim THAT  their love for the team will never die is based on ZERO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER.    That team, as I have documented, is one of the winningest organizations in the sport for the past 2 decades. They HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED AS A FANBASE.  To see if a fanbase would erode to a point to challenge Ray Didinger's claim is not MERELY have a down season like you mentioned that they had in 2005 and check the stadium attendance in some game at the end of that season.  How about they have a down DECADE!!  Then Eagle fans, come to me, and show me how passionate you are about your team, when you've averaged 6 wins per season for a decade.   Then, and ONLY then, would we really be able to test the eagle fans, and their chest pounding radio personalities of their true resolve.  until then, they're just talking S.  And THAT is actually the longest tenured pastime in the city of brotherly love.

First BEF, I appreciate the discussion.

The thing is that when people think about the most famous (or infamous) NFL fanbases, Oakland and Philadelphia are always mentioned, many times for unflattering reasons (such as the jail at the Vet). However, the reputation these fanbases have has been built up over a long time. My first in-person NFL regular season game was at the Vet in 1982, and I've been to 16 Redskins/Eagles games at the Vet and Linc since.  Some of those seasons were dreadful ones for the Eagles, but the stadium was just as loud then as it is now. It is true that the younger Eagles fans have not been tested with a long stretch of losing. Howver, you even admit that the Linc is electric and might be the loudest open air stadium in the league. That alone means that the Eagles fanbase is certainly not overrated.

Second, even though your focus was to discuss the Eagles fanbase, and I know this is the ATN section, but it is a Redskins message board and a lot of Skins fans post in this section, so you can't expect a comparison with the Skins fans to not be made. And truthfully, I'm still pissed off from the atmosphere at a half-empty FedEx last season.  Look, unlike the other sports, we have to wait from early February until early September to see meaningful games every year. Which means hope should spring eternal at the beginning of each season. If a fan's team is 3-6 or worse at midseason and they just want to mail the rest of the campaign in, that is more understandable. But the attitude of "well, we've sucked for so long, I'm not even going to watch this season" is frankly pathetic. And I just don't think you would see it manifest itself in Philly  in similar circumstances in terms of empty stadiums at the start of a season or when the team is still very much competitive mid-season, as it did in DC last year. But that's just my opinion. 

Same story with Seahawks fans.  They were non-existent on the "Diehard fanbase" radar prior to 2012.  Yes they had a spike in fandom during the Hassleback/Alexander era, but once the team became a Superbowl contender and won, suddenly it's all about "The 12th Man" and their fans became super obnoxious and conceded.  

That is just how sports fandom goes.  Most people are casual fans, they love when their team is winning and act in-different or can't be bothered to care when the team is losing.  

The 'Skins fanbase is currently at an all time low morale, and it is justified, but the truth is it took a long time to get here. I am a year shy of 40 and this team has not been a consistent winner since I was in my first 10 years of life. They last won a Superbowl prior to my 12th birthday.  They have been mediocre all through my teens, 20's & 30's.   The 'Skins being awful is a way of life for me at this point. Every time the new season is about to kickoff, Eagles & Cowboys fans try to involve me in their trash talking, but to be honest I just have no interest because I already know the 'Skins will likely be the last place team and irrelevant by Thanksgiving.  It is sad, but it's the truth.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

The 'Skins fanbase is currently at an all time low morale, and it is justified, but the truth is it took a long time to get here. I am a year shy of 40 and this team has not been a consistent winner since I was in my first 10 years of life. They last won a Superbowl prior to my 12th birthday.  They have been mediocre all through my teens, 20's & 30's.   The 'Skins being awful is a way of life for me at this point. Every time the new season is about to kickoff, Eagles & Cowboys fans try to involve me in their trash talking, but to be honest I just have no interest because I already know the 'Skins will likely be the last place team and irrelevant by Thanksgiving.  It is sad, but it's the truth.  

I hear you NoCal and I also have been a very cynical fan of this team for well over a decade. But I also look at the fact that the part of football season where games are actually played is short, only five months. So when the season does arrive, embrace it and dream of the possibilities, regardless of the bad/mediocre recent past. I just don't understand people who say they are going to tune the team out, even early in the season.

The Redskins haven't had an 11-win season since 1991. I think when we reach that mark (or better) again, its going to come when we least expect it, and not as a buildup from 7 wins one season to 9 wins the next, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

During the game today at halftime the Eagles fans were booing their team.  I enjoyed watching them lose to the Lions today.  Just like the Skins their defensive line has no pass rush.  I listen to Eagles sportstalk radio during the week on my way to work and they were convinced this year would be another Super Bowl season.   I think Desean Jackson will underperform for them this year and he will be their bad luck charm as well.   I cannot wait to turn on the radio tomorrow morning to hear their fans whining along with their radio sportstalk guys.   Now watching the Eagles post game show.  This Thursday night they play Green Bay Packers.  The Lions double covered the Eagles tight end which was smart.  Our defensive coaches have never done that before and should be fired for being stupid.

16 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Unbelieveable!  You would NEVER hear that in FedEx.  Their fans are so spoiled they do not appreciate their team!!!

I’m hoping that you meant to put this in sarcasm font because I’ve seen plenty of the minimal number of Skins fans that show up to games boo after pathetic displays of play.  How many games have even attended then?  Philly fans are always rated some of the best in passion for their team and thus they let you know it when you’re not playing up to the standard that is expected of a top franchise.  Skins fans are like beaten down orphans - they just sit there are cry these days. There is no expectation of excellence- thus no hard core booing.   It’s different in NY and Chicago too.  Now go find some other Eagles tread to vent about them some more - you heavyweight chick from Denver.  Or go crochet yourself a tissue to cry in , of course you will continue to think highly of your basement dwelling franchise every year as being good. ( looked at every year you’ve made predictions. Horribly wrong and I can tell you’re young and dumb when it comes to talent and scheme evals and look down on other teams,,, question is Why? ). You’re franchise is viewed as a “ get right game” to every other team. Why are you so fooled vs others ?   Young , fat and stupid is no way to go through life”. Oh by the way your win total after next week will still be. Zero, point , zero...   or I’m sure you’re like bakedtater and think the Skins will beat NE 😂

Rated by who?  Other philly's fans?

News flash:  Every fan base thinks their the best.  But only one is almost universally hated by everyone else due to their snowball chucking, injury cheering, horse s*** eating (literally) fans.  

To even THINK that Philly has "good fans" is laughable.  

The rest of your post I'm ignoring because it was rude, unecessary and quite frankly exactly what I would expect from a low life eagles fan

You wish you could carry yourself with the dignity and class that our fans and Gibbs has

2 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Rated by who?  Other philly's fans?

News flash:  Every fan base thinks their the best.  But only one is almost universally hated by everyone else due to their snowball chucking, injury cheering, horse s*** eating (literally) fans.  

To even THINK that Philly has "good fans" is laughable.  

The rest of your post I'm ignoring because it was rude, unecessary and quite frankly exactly what I would expect from a low life eagles fan

You wish you could carry yourself with the dignity and class that our fans and Gibbs has

1. USA Today - June 2019 Article attached. Eagles fans are not what you heard for the majority. It’s the 10-15% young drunk or uneducated idiots that you keep referencing.  Most can’t afford to go to games these days.  Oakland and SF fans are worse these days - outside of some Ass**ole chants. Can’t handle that. You’re a snowflake then 

2. Really - Do Skins fans? After reading every single post, going to games in MD and seeing stadium taken over and fans leaving early. Not even close.  Apathy and hate are the only things felt for this franchise in last 3 years plus. 

3. Must of hit the nail on the head if you’re saying that. Truth hurts.  FYI - I was raised in the South so I’m not some Jersey goomba - like you’re trying to orchestrate as representing all Philly fans. It’s not even close.  15% of the idiots don’t represent the other educated, successful, family oriented fans that go to games these days. 

4. Your over abundance of Eagles hating posts over the years, show that you had some Eagles fan do something to you personally possibly. , or you buy into old stereotypes and stories from the 1960-1970s.  Either way you’re pathetic with the self created biased hatred towards the “ boogie man “ fans you speak of. Sounds uneducated and simple.  Again you don’t know 99% of the fans and what type of people they are.  I also can tell you this -  I HAVE my own Admin Assistance. I’m not one 😏 so maybe reassess how you “ think” every fan is and come to your senses if you possibly can. 

5. Stop predicting wins and records.  You don’t sound like you know anything about football other than what your daddy and brothers taught you. And that your horrible team is actually good. Their not. Eagles aren’t winning SB this year - but we will still care about games when are kids are trick or treating. You , no.  

63445597-936D-4A62-B8D5-4F45ECB70F6A.jpeg

giphy.gif

Seriously, its really sad that you like to follow me around these boards and hurl personal insult after personal insult.  You can cherry pick any article you want, but you KNOW that eagles fans are disgusting belligerent jerks.  Heck, your behavior here just reinforces it.  So good job.  and lol @ you thinking that "10-15" percent is a small number. That means one in every 10 of you are the WORST.  That's not a fringe, that a minority base right there.

And you seriously think you are going to the superbowl this year?  lol.  Doesn't THAT prove the point of this thread... that you are spoiled, fair weather fans.  You keep forgetting how we took over your stadium in 2005, one year after the superbowl.  Hardly tested.  BTW, who is starting at corner this week.  You?

Notice nobody called you a jersey goomba.  You are the one that hurls insults at people much like the rest of your fanbase.  Our fans have too much class thus why I haven resorted to calling you a jersey goomba.  So if your not from the area, then you are like an out of market Dallas fan.  But substitute antagonistic contrarian with wanna-be tough guy.  You picked the team with an image that best suits your own personality defect.

Yeah I don't think they are overrated at all, but Seahawk fans are for sure.  The year before they went to the SB against the Steelers in 2005 they actually threatened to blackout a HOME playoff game against the Rams because three days before the game it wasn't sold out.  THAT is the definition of fair weather fans.  Eagle fans are nowhere near that level.  Stop it lol.

Archived