Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Cowboys

KDawg

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I know this wasn't really even your point, but even 3 TDs over 2 games is a pretty nice pace. That works out to 24 TDs over 16 games which is right in the Cousins territory of 2015/2016 (which was clearly some of the best QB numbers we've had in a long time). 

Oh, God, you know its bad when we are comparing any QB to Cousins.  There are plenty of QBs that would be worse then Cousins and still had best stats weve had in years, thats how bad our QB play has been this century.

59 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Dwayne Haskins is going to get his drvier's license eventually and he'll be handed over the keys.  In the meantime, Case Keenum's success only delays the inevitable.  Dwayne is stuck with his learner's permit that much longer. 

Just as long as we're prepared to be even worse with Haskins starting...at least for now. Keenum hasn't been a world beater, and the posts about him getting a decent amount of yards and a couple TDs in garbage time when the game was basically over are legit, but IMO he's been pretty decent and hasn't been a reason we're losing. I put that on the defense, awful run game, and poor ass coaching/play calling by Gruden.

I wouldn't mind seeing Haskins at some point during the season if we end up with a horrible record for the first half of the season, but he's probably going to throw more picks than Case, won't have much of a run game to lean on, and he's going to take a while to get up to speed in regular season games. Not that it would change the fact that we'd be one of the worst teams in the NFL, but we might end up losing games by 20-30 points instead of 5-10. Obviously the end result isn't different but it would be pretty painful. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Oh, God, you know its bad when we are comparing any QB to Cousins.  There are plenty of QBs that would be worse then Cousins and still had best stats weve had in years, thats how bad our QB play has been this century.

I wasn't using Cousins as the gold standard, simply saying that 2015/2016 created some good QB numbers. If Keenum approaches those numbers at $3.5M then I'd say he's doing just fine. And, I'm removing garbage TDs for the sake of discussion. Keenum is actually on a 40-TD pace (though he clearly won't stay on that pace). 

Anyway, it's a moot point...I would trade Keenum to the Steelers today (for anything) and let Haskins get after it. 

2 minutes ago, illone said:

To me that shows more of the deficiencies in the game plan, and what the coaches are asking these guys to do.  Sweat looks dazed and confused on most plays, perhaps just rookie jitters, but the coaching is exposed more than the talent IMO.

Think thats his point that rest of the back 7 and coaching is canceling out what Sweat and Kerrigan could or should be bringing to the table.  Its not fair, but the way they are being used is making them part of the problem.  I agree Collins is gettjng a bad rap because the comment when we got him was if we would use him to his strength or expose his weaknesses. Two weeks in, that question has been answered.

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Payne, Allen, Matt L and then adding Sweat along with a Kerrigan was a solid reason to believe we could rush the passer with consistency.

The problem is Sweat looks terrible and Allen is hurt, I was hoping Sweat was that explosive piece you mentioned but theres no explosive in him, at least not yet.

Sweat has played slowly, but I’m not concerned about him at this point. 

Payne, Allen, Sweat, Matt, Tim & Kerrigan are all better 1 gap than 2 gap guys ... though Allen is really great at either, I’d like to see us just let them go each snap, but that’s nearly impossible with inexperienced/unproven LBs behind them. 

When we play 2 gap, we eliminate all of our explosive pieces. You can see Payne’s ability to rush, which is what he was supposed to lack ... he’s a problem when he can just get up the field. 

1 hour ago, Tuck28 said:

Hello all, long time reader of this forum.  Long time Redskins fan and will always be no matter how mad they make me.  With that said, my Duds are the coaching staff.  How can Jay Gruden not adjust his scheme to fit Adrian Peterson?  This man is still a well above average running back.  All other offensive lines get push running power type runs, but we try to finesse all of our runs.  

Defensively, Manusky should be gone yesterday.  Totally inept.

Welcome aboard!

We'll never know the scheme for AP. He could never get into a rhythm because of having to keep coming out on 1st and 20's and 2nd and longs. 

just like last week I'm still surprised Flowers isn't the problem at the Oline.  He surprisingly works at guard.  I've always felt Moses was overrated and the only reason he starts for this team is probably because his backup is even worse.

Looks like everything on the defense isn't working but the offensive passing games shows bright spots here and there.

What’s crazy is that my friends who are cowboys fans used to **** with me when they beat us....they didnt even even text me yesterday. I ain’t heard from them after a beating for years. Know why? They are tired of picking on us. That’s how sad it is lol

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Sweat has played slowly, but I’m not concerned about him at this point.

From an X's and O's standpoint what are we trying to do with Sweat, I'm no expert in breaking down film but I see him engage and get caught on blocks.  Why isn't he trying to break off of those blocks and why isn't he trying to use his speed to get around the edge rather than take on guys that weigh 50 lbs more than him?

Its almost as if someone is telling him to play a specific way and its uncomfortable to him.

Any thoughts?

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

From an X's and O's standpoint what are we trying to do with Sweat, I'm no expert in breaking down film but I see him engage and get caught on blocks.  Why isn't he trying to break off of those blocks and why isn't he trying to use his speed to get around the edge rather than take on guys that weigh 50 lbs more than him?

Its almost as if someone is telling him to play a specific way and its uncomfortable to him.

Any thoughts?

With our DC and defensive scheme I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sweat was being asked to play in a way that more or less completely negates his best attributes. This is Greg Manusky we're talking about here, who seems to regard blitzes and stunts as bizarrely foreign concepts and who's motto seems to be "Find out what's not working and keep doing it".

A guy who runs a 1.55 second 10 yard split, has a 36 inch vertical at 260 lbs, along with a 126 inch broad jump doesn't suddenly lose that athleticism overnight. IIRC there were quite a few reports about how explosive he looked during camp. That being said, it's also possible that he's still thinking a lot during plays and adjusting to the NFL game so his explosion might not be on full display yet. 

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a combination of the above two issues. 

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What’s crazy is that my friends who are cowboys fans used to **** with me when they beat us....they didnt even even text me yesterday. I ain’t heard from them after a beating for years. Know why? They are tired of picking on us. That’s how sad it is lol

This was the eagles game last year, surrounded by them, they eventually stopped talking trash and started making comparisons to whem they were done with Chip Kelly.  There were still Dallas fans being asshats at the stadium yesterday, but on facebook Dallas fans are getting cooked for braggin about stomping the giants and redskins...by other dallas fans.  Too low a bar to judge apparently, youd think in a rivalry game itd be all good, but it borderline doesnt count to some of them now, on to bigger fish before the schedule came out

I haven't posted in a long time, so hello to everyone.    I'm trying to move forward and stay positive about MNF against Chicago.  We all know our track record is not good in regards to primetime games, but something has to give.   Hopeful we get Dunny, Fabian, Reed and J Allen back.   That should provide a spark.   If we can't figure out our run problems, teams are going to tee off on us.   Loving Case to Scary Terry.   Get Harmon and Quinn more involved in the passing game.   Week 3, teams already know they have to put more than 1 DB on Scary Terry.   Paul Rich is playing healthy, so this could be his big week.

HTTRFL

My worry about Keenum is that he seemed to be a little more aggressive down the field this week and was throwing some seriously errant passes. With the poor run-blocking, the Skins are going to have to be able to loosen up the defense with some deep passing. I don't see that being a likely possibility with Keenum. I'd grade him as "meh".

AP's game this week showed me that he wouldn't have made any difference against Philly. He was running into the same wall of defenders that Guice was last week. Maybe young AP could have made something out of nothing, but 34-year-old AP isn't going to.

The defense is atrocious. I'm not going to repeat all the good points made by those more knowledgeable than me, but will just point out that not many teams are going to overcome giving up 30+ points every week. You'd have to have a 2018 Chiefs or 2007 Patriots offense to make up for that.

Probably not the right spot, but these past two games emphasized an important variable in the 'Snyder Synergy of Suck' - We don't beat good teams. 

If a team is average or bad then we have a chance. If they are good we will constantly look over matched. Sure, we've won the division a few times, but that's only because the other teams in the division were average to bad. If anyone in our division is good then we'll just hand the title over to them. 

ok, so if you would've asked me yesterday after the loss, our season is over. However, after watching the highlights, I don't feel so bad. Lets look at the whole picture:

Redskins: We knew we would suck, we just happen to be sucking worse than we thought we would.

Giants: They suck worse than we do, not that all surprised.

Eagles: Favored to go to the SB and win again (for some reason). They beat us, but we knew they would. However, did anyone see them losing to Falcons? Thats with the Falcons having at least 3 turnovers that I can remember. The Falcons got pressure to Wentz and he threw like it while taking some hits as well. As I said before, no Nick Foles to save the Eagles this year.

Cowboys: As of right now, I guess we have to crown the turds as the best team in the NFCE. However, look at who they played: a terrible Skins team and an even worse Giants team. Personally, it says more about the losers of those games than the winners. I really didn't see anything spectacular that Dallas was doing, the other teams were just too inept to do anything.

Anyways, I think this division is still up for grabs, not like it matters...no one in the NFCE will do anything in the playoffs.

Keenum's individual stats for me are irrelevant if the ceiling for this team is 6-8 wins.  I understand the reasons for going with a Veteran to start the season if the coaches actually thought this team had a chance to get to 10 wins and a wildcard spot, but after the first two games, unless they come out and look very different next week on MNF against the Bears, then you are 0-3 and any chance of a wildcard is pretty much gone regardless of how well the team plays from there on out.  So at that point, what does it matter how good or bad Keenum does because he likely isn't going to be here past this season, does nothing towards building for the future.  Mine as well get Haskins in there and get educated on the NFL in a season where losing games is expected and doesn't really make much of a difference for now.

As far as the defense.  Do the Redskins currently have anyone on the Front 7, either starting, or in rotation that we could use the way Trent Murphy was, the way Preston Smith was, or hell, even the way Junior Gallete was?   A pure pass rush guy who's mission every single time he is on the field to find a way to get to the QB?

I loved and hated the PAP deep ball to TMC to start the game.  Love that Jay tried to do the obvious.  Hated that he was blanketed. 

Maybe next time save that play for the first 2nd and short, or pump fake and hope to catch the CB cheating a peak.

I think Jay has to roll the dice and starting targeting TMC heavily.  It's called using your only best playerS.  Force the D to adjust, and play off of that. If it fails it fails but its pointless to throw at him to start the game, and then when down 3 scores.

2 hours ago, jbird said:

No love for Keenum?

Raise your hand if you anticipated a 70% completion rate for 604 yards, 5 td, and 0 INT's over the first 2 weeks.

No love this week whatsoever.

Off target on the first play which could've gone the distance.  Off target all day making receivers jump or slow down, costing us yards.  Completely ****ed up the throw to Thompson on 4th and 3 which led to the icing on Dallas's win.  Risky throws into closed windows all day.

I was super unhappy with him.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

I loved and hated the PAP deep ball to TMC to start the game.  Love that Jay tried to do the obvious.  Hated that he was blanketed. 

I wish for that play, that it would have been designed for McLaurin to run a similar route to the one he did against Philly.  I liked that better because Keenum was throwing to a spot on the field and  McLaurin ran away from the defender to track it down and take it to the house.

The route against Dallas was more of a straight vertical route where the throw has to be a lot more precise, perhaps even forcing McLaurin to slow down to try and track the ball. 

Also, Keenum missing Paul Richardson wide open with zero defenders around him was bad. That was a College Football style laugher of a TD if Case just sees him instead of throwing underneath to a covered player.

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I wish for that play, that it would have been designed for McLaurin to run a similar route to the one he did against Philly.  I liked that better because Keenum was throwing to a spot on the field and  McLaurin ran away from the defender to track it down and take it to the house.

The route against Dallas was more of a straight vertical route where the throw has to be a lot more precise, perhaps even forcing McLaurin to slow down to try and track the ball. 

Also, Keenum missing Paul Richardson wide open with zero defenders around him was bad. That was a College Football style laugher of a TD if Case just sees him instead of throwing underneath to a covered player.

Nice add-ons.

I loved in week 1 throwing laterally away from the defender. It made TMC even more wide open.  Anyone that has played knows it's much easier to catch a deep ball running laterally versus away from the ball. Looking directly over ones back at full speed is super awkward let alone track and catching it.

Yesterday, he actually led TMC towards the defender more than not.  He was covered well, regardless.

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

Probably not the right spot, but these past two games emphasized an important variable in the 'Snyder Synergy of Suck' - We don't beat good teams. 

If a team is average or bad then we have a chance. If they are good we will constantly look over matched. Sure, we've won the division a few times, but that's only because the other teams in the division were average to bad. If anyone in our division is good then we'll just hand the title over to them. 

Good observation...since 1993, we have basically made noise when one or more of our division rivals are having a transition or down year and it happens to coincide with a decent season of ours (good by our standards). That explains 1999, 2005, 2012, and 2015...

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good observation...since 1993, we have basically made noise when one or more of our division rivals are having a transition or down year and it happens to coincide with a decent season of ours (good by our standards). That explains 1999, 2005, 2012, and 2015...

We specialize in beating teams that typically beat themselves.

Archived