Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Washington Capitals sign former Bruin Chara to one year deal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30625731/zdeno-chara-announces-boston-bruins-exit-14-seasons-signs-1-year-deal-washington-capitals%3fplatform=amp

not sure how I feel about This. The man is 43 years old. Atleast he’s Anthony mix tall.

oh sorry just saw it had been posted already. 

Edited by SkinsFanRob

9 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Ovi and Chara with PP bombs....that's going to be interesting

I've been hearing Chara's shot has gone downhill and that he doesn't bring much to the PP anymore.  We'll be better off sticking with Carlson for PP1 and Orlov for whatever's left, and save Chara's minutes for PK and D-zone faceoffs.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Next is Jagr.  Calling it.

One of my doctors last year was from Romania, wore a Penguins tag.  When I first met him was during the women's soccer final, and he asked if he could hang out for the last few minutes for the end, (of course, right? You're saving my ****in' life!).  Then I told him I had 3 Jagr rookie cards in a photo album and he said, "You're now my favorite patient." 

• Like 1

Lol. I spent a few years of college in Western PA in the mid 90s. One weekend we went to a Pens game at the old igloo. After the game (Pens lost...sweet), us frat boys went to Hooters. There we saw a yinzer who rocked the Jagr haircut while wearing the Jagr jersey. We still crazy jokes on that. 

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yeah, if Ilya is washed up at 37...

Kovalchuk is a complete different player. It’s interesting to see why the Bruins let him go at that price. Chara will be a fine bottom pairing d man, he’s not fast and will struggle against quick wingers and centers but his reach, physical presence and leadership is still sought after. He provides no offense at all but he’s valued for his net effect. It’ll be an interesting year 

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don’t even know what to think about that signing. I like it but it’s gonna be weird seeing that guy in a caps uniform. 

I will add that GMBM hates playing your players/rookies 

Yeah that’s kinda dumb. Not playing rookies. We all know that speed is killer and Chara, Ovechkin and the older folk are just slow af.

• Thanks 1

Maybe Chara will step up later in the season and during the playoff run, kinda like Orpik did in 2018, he was sometimes criticized for being kinda old and slow during the regular season, but during the playoff games in 2018 he actually really stepped up and played well, maybe they thought that was missing last season , a veteran stay at home type defender 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Next is Jagr.  Calling it.

😂 Nice, but not a chance in hell. I've heard that Ted absolutely hates that guy, and for good reason. Traded for him in his first big move after buying the team, gave him a bloated contract before he played his first game for us, got everyone's hopes up as this was the most high-profile acquisition in team history up to that point, and then the jackoff just totally mailed it in, and admitted so a couple years later after he was traded to New York. He was truly the Caps version of Albert Haynesworth. 

The 98 Stanley Cup run core was still mostly in tact and I think they were thinking that Jager would be one of the players who could push them over the hump ,in the Capitals defense of the signing, there were a couple season's I believe where the addition of himself and Robert Lang would be at the front of the season scoring sheet, 

What in my opinion killed Jager and his Capitals career was the playoff series against Tampa Bay, where they lost the chance to go up 3-0 in the first round series by loosing game 3 in overtime , if I recall correctly?, not defending Jager and his performance as a Washington Capitals player, just not being able to pull that series out against Tampa,  definitely soured a few Caps fans on him 

8 hours ago, c slag said:

The 98 Stanley Cup run core was still mostly in tact and I think they were thinking that Jager would be one of the players who could push them over the hump ,in the Capitals defense of the signing, there were a couple season's I believe where the addition of himself and Robert Lang would be at the front of the season scoring sheet, 

What in my opinion killed Jager and his Capitals career was the playoff series against Tampa Bay, where they lost the chance to go up 3-0 in the first round series by loosing game 3 in overtime , if I recall correctly?, not defending Jager and his performance as a Washington Capitals player, just not being able to pull that series out against Tampa,  definitely soured a few Caps fans on him 

Caps were division champs in 2000 and 2001, but lost both years in the first round to - you guessed it - Pittsburgh.  Olie was establishing himself as a top goalie, Bondra and Oates were still producing, they had one of the best shutdown lines in hockey (Kono-Dahlen-Halpern), and Gonchar was one of the top offensive d-men in the league (as long as he was paired with someone who could clean up his messes in his own end).  They were a fun team to watch, but as was the case throughout their history, they didn't have a dynamic star to put them over the top.  Enter Jagr, the NHL's biggest star and reigning scoring champ.  McPhee didn't want him, but Ted was in his honeymoon phase as an owner (going on all the sports talk radio shows on a daily basis, standing on the concourse at games to shake hands and answer every fans email, fresh off trying to court Michael Jordan as part of his ownership group) and he was foaming at the mouth to make a big splash.  I don't blame Leonsis for making the move - for the first time in team history, Caps fans saw they had an owner who truly wanted to win and was willing to put his money where his mouth was.  Adding the NHL's scoring leader to an already solid team without giving up anyone from the roster should've worked, but it didn't as Jagr put in half-assed efforts on a nightly basis, showed zero leadership on his new team and made it obvious he didn't want to be here, and spent most of his time sulking about being dumped by his model girlfriend and dealing with legal troubles stemming from 7-figure gambling debts.  Yes he led the team in scoring - a player like him can do that on skill alone - but his output was 50% less than in his final years in Pittsburgh.  The Tampa series you mention - the one playoff series we went to with him - was the low point.  We were outplayed and thoroughly outcoached, and Jagr in particular showed the whole league how he had zero heart.  Ted went ballistic in the media after that series loss, calling out the team for their flat performance, the fans for not even being able to sell out the building during playoff games, and even Abe Pollin's management group for continually giving the shaft to the Caps on things like arena scheduling.  The whole organization was just completely defeated at that point, and after a horrendous start to the following year (where Jagr looked as disinterested as ever) Caps management hit the nuclear button and traded everyone short of the beer vendors to begin the rebuild that led to the Rock the Red era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Jagr is awesome. If not for him being such a disappointment and selfish prick as to be the catalyst for his team blowing itself up to begin a long rebuild and even paying a ton of money for him to go away and play for a rival club, the Caps may not have Ovechkin. 

Sorry Hersh, but if you're going to give that jackoff credit for anything it needs to at least be put into proper context 😁

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Like 1