Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Man speaking of 2018 ... how fun that run was.  I still remember it so vividly watching Lars Eller score that goal while standing outside of Capital One Arena and how crazy it was outside.  And then when they won, and Ovi going to get the cup and skating around with it.  Wow ... what an amazing time that was.

Yep i remember we beat the penguins the day that I had my last final of college, to advance to the ECF. We won the first two games Against Tampa the weekend i graduated, which made it an even crazier celebration weekend. 

lost the next 2 games the weekend i was at a wedding and i figured our season was over. We then won game 6 the night i got home from New Orleans, and i decided on a whim to attend the first watch party for game 7 at the arena. I thought: well, it’s either gonna be a crappy night, or a memorable night. It was memorable. 

was in Europe for the first 3 games of the Stanley cup finals, so games were on at 2:30 AM for me. Saw the 6-2 game on TV the night i got back to the states, and then was back in CT for the night we won it all. 

great playoff run mixed with personal family fun as well all through it 

• Like 3

Thinking about the 2018 run, I can't remember if they had a bad game. I remember when they lost they were still playing really good hockey and I kept telling my buddies that if they Caps keep playing this way, they will win it all. Just polar opposite from these games. 

• Like 1

Sorry to pull out the eulogy talk while we're still "technically" alive, but just wondering where people would rank this collapse among the many of the current Rock the Red era (since 2008). I think this is Number 1. The first round meltdown vs. Montreal in 2010 and the sweep vs. Tampa in 2011 were bad, as was the gutless first round loss to the Rangers in 2013. But in the aftermath of those, we could still take solace in the thought that better days were ahead, as the Young Guns were still relatively young, and maybe an extra piece or two was all we needed. The losses to the Pens could be easier justified because in each case we lost to the eventual Cup champ.  Even last years loss to Carolina was easier to stomach because of the Cup win the year before, and the argument that we ran out of gas because we had been playing so much hockey.  But this inevitable loss to the Isles feels so different. It exposed us as an old, slow team with no fight, no plan, and no clue. It almost feels like the end of an era.

This isn't a collapse to me. It was kinda obvious this was coming. I want to believe the window can be extended because they do have some really good young players but I just don't trust GMBM to make the changes. He had a couple of good moves to supplement GMGM team to help get the Caps the Cup, but he's also made some really questionable trades, given out some questionable contracts and given away a bunch of draft picks. 

Haglin 4 years $11 million for no good reason. 

Panik 4 years $11 million for no good reason.

Jensen 4 years $10 million is a no show

Kempney 4 years $10 million got benched, but I can maybe understand this contract after the SC

This is throwing away money and the defensive additions haven't helped at all. I'm sure some of it is coaching but the GM picks the players and the coach. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

But this inevitable loss to the Isles feels so different. It exposed us as an old, slow team with no fight, no plan, and no clue. It almost feels like the end of an era.

The window is certainly starting to close no doubt, they are definitely more talented than they are playing, where is goals from veteran players like Hagelin and Panik ?

I think it's probably time for a coaching staff change 

And hopefully a return next season to playing games in Cap One Arena 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This isn't a collapse to me. It was kinda obvious this was coming.

Hersh I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, I've been reading all of your opinions in the Caps and Orioles threads for years. But with the talent the Caps have, and just 2 years removed from a Cup, for them to lay down and die like this, with zero fight at all, to me that's the definition of a collapse.

4 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Hersh I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, I've been reading all of your opinions in the Caps and Orioles threads for years. But with the talent the Caps have, and just 2 years removed from a Cup, for them to lay down and die like this, with zero fight at all, to me that's the definition of a collapse.

That's a fair assessment. They get a pass last year when they looked exhausted in the playoffs after winning the Cup and partying all off-season before. No excuse for this season. I've been pessimistic about aspects of this team so I'm not surprised but I certainly understand and respect your perspective. 

I am nowhere near as focused and involved with this team as all of you, but it seems like they are back to their old ways. Sadly, playoff collapses is how I was always remember the Capitals 😥 Too many to count that eventually made me tune out to avoid the disappointment and pain. 

• Sad 1

My advice to all. Enjoy the Cup run for the rest of time and enjoy Ovechkin playing and scoring goals cause we won't likely see that level again. We've only got a few years left and hopefully he makes a run at the all time mark. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

My advice to all. Enjoy the Cup run for the rest of time and enjoy Ovechkin playing and scoring goals cause we won't likely see that level again. We've only got a few years left and hopefully he makes a run at the all time mark. 

Agreed.  I'd give anything to go back and watch one more live game with Peter Bondra or Mike Gartner or even Dino Ciccarelli, and those guys weren't half the player Ovi is.  We can talk all we want, but we have no idea how much we're going to miss #8 when he's not around.  

20 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Sorry to pull out the eulogy talk while we're still "technically" alive, but just wondering where people would rank this collapse among the many of the current Rock the Red era (since 2008). I think this is Number 1. The first round meltdown vs. Montreal in 2010 and the sweep vs. Tampa in 2011 were bad, as was the gutless first round loss to the Rangers in 2013. But in the aftermath of those, we could still take solace in the thought that better days were ahead, as the Young Guns were still relatively young, and maybe an extra piece or two was all we needed. The losses to the Pens could be easier justified because in each case we lost to the eventual Cup champ.  Even last years loss to Carolina was easier to stomach because of the Cup win the year before, and the argument that we ran out of gas because we had been playing so much hockey.  But this inevitable loss to the Isles feels so different. It exposed us as an old, slow team with no fight, no plan, and no clue. It almost feels like the end of an era.

I mean its easier to stomach losses after you just won a Cup(two years I know but still). Also, we've been outplayed this series so its meh. The meltdown vs. Montreal is still the worst because we were loaded that year, up 3-1 and lost in just the most random stupid way possible all because Halak became the greatest athlete in sports history for four games. Second would be the Pens loss in 2017 when they were a shell of their former roster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hersh said:

That's a fair assessment. They get a pass last year when they looked exhausted in the playoffs after winning the Cup and partying all off-season before. No excuse for this season. I've been pessimistic about aspects of this team so I'm not surprised but I certainly understand and respect your perspective. 

Last year they still had Brett Connolly and Matts Niskanen. AND they played lowly Carolina in RD 1. AND Pittsburgh won back to back in 2016 and 2017 (even though their 2017 team wasn't even that good). 

They get no pass from me, this year or last. 

3 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Last year they still had Brett Connolly and Matts Niskanen. AND they played lowly Carolina in RD 1. AND Pittsburgh won back to back in 2016 and 2017 (even though their 2017 team wasn't even that good). 

They get no pass from me, this year or last. 

To each their own. I didn’t care one bit about last season 😂

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean its easier to stomach losses after you just won a Cup(two years I know but still). Also, we've been outplayed this series so its meh. The meltdown vs. Montreal is still the worst because we were loaded that year, up 3-1 and lost in just the most random stupid way possible all because Halak became the greatest athlete in sports history for four games.

And because of a stupid disallowed goal.  I'm sorry, but coming out of your crease and putting your glove into an opposing player does not constitute being interfered with.

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean its easier to stomach losses after you just won a Cup(two years I know but still). Also, we've been outplayed this series so its meh. The meltdown vs. Montreal is still the worst because we were loaded that year, up 3-1 and lost in just the most random stupid way possible all because Halak became the greatest athlete in sports history for four games. Second would be the Pens loss in 2017 when they were a shell of their former roster.

In terms of pure disappointment, the 2010 loss to Montreal does take the cake.  As you mentioned, we were stacked that season, blowing through everyone.  I probably ate 300 free wings at Glory Days Grille that year because they seemingly won every home game and scored 5 or more goals doing it (hence the promo kicking in).  Longtime Caps fans had never seen anything like it.  Watching the Caps that year, with a core of young studs who weren't even in their primes yet, we all were thinking of an Edmonton Oilers-type dynasty.  Me and my buddies who had followed the Caps forever all altered our spring and early summer plans that year around the thought that we were going to playoff games into June.  And then we blew a 3-1 lead in the first round to a team that didn't even qualify for the playoffs until the last day of the regular season.  Brutal.

But for me, this loss to the Isles is the biggest collapse.  Unlike 2010, I wasn't expecting them to win the Cup this year.  But also unlike 2010, we can't point to just one or two things (a hot goalie, unlucky bounces).  And we can't take solace in the fact that we're a young team that will only get better.  We're a veteran club with guys who just won it all 2 years ago (and hence should know what it takes to win in the playoffs) and yet we're just getting our butts handed to us shift after shift and unbelievably still taking entire periods off.  Barring major changes behind the bench AND on the bench, it will be the same thing next season and the season after, and in that regard this feels like the end of an era.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Sad 2

crazy that there's a good chance that tonight is Holtby's last game as a Cap. No matter if it's right or not to move on from him (doesn't really matter anyway due to the salary cap situation), I'm going to miss the guy. Great person on and off the ice, and he got us a Cup

• Like 1