Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Derrius Guice and the Skins Synergy of Suck

Lombardi's_kid_brother

3 hours ago, TK said:

He's not a 

He's a 

The wife got a major kick out of this..gonna change my profile in her phone now lol

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

God bless your soul. 

One day it’s all gonna fall right for us. Keep fighting that good fight son. 

lol

Can we do a live Q&A with you and Cooleyfan? 

I have so many questions 

You have my number lol

42 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What was wrong about what i said?? I said “Tell us something new”. Because all of this stuff about the team sucking, you already know. I already Know. Everybody else already knows (well.....everybody except for bakedtater :P

i was done fighting the good fight LONG ago regarding this team. I KNOW we suck. Why do we need countless new threads to tell us what we know already 😂 

Unless......YOU think we’re ever going to be a good team again? If so....get your brain checked 😂

Totally agree here man...this too is my angle on the team...hows this confusing cooleyfan?

25 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

The wife got a major kick out of this..gonna change my profile in her phone now lol

You have my number lol

This guy REALLY wants people to call him - you’d think with a wife and a bunch of kids he’d be busy , and not so bored that he publishes his address and phone asking for calls and letters.  Send out your debit card and PIN while you’re at it.  I’ll send you $10 in the mail if you do.  I guarantee it.   

2 minutes ago, Cantankerous said:

This guy REALLY wants people to call him - you’d think with a wife and a bunch of kids he’d be busy , and not so bored that he publishes his address and phone asking for calls and letters.  Send out your debit card and PIN while you’re at it.  I’ll send you $10 in the mail if you do.  I guarantee it.   

Are you serious right now?!..nice stain on your shirt btw..

3 minutes ago, Cantankerous said:

People don't know how to talk to people any more..conversation on the phone goes alot further than the eagles in the superbowl trophie counting contest....mean while thousands of hackers have all yalls **** on the internet and ya laugh at me calling it not smart...and I'm supposed to be afraid of giving my number and address out on this site..haha haha 

11 minutes ago, Cantankerous said:

****ing serious?..to busy to look at my phone if it rings?..who is this guy!?

Never forget Barry only got a DC job because his father-in-law was the coach.  I thought he was winless but that I guess that one win lured Bruce in. 

You almost cannot make this stuff up.  We had IIRC Wade Phillips basically hanging out in Ashburn for a year and dumbass couldn't hire him.  Instead we took our retro special teamer instead. A name that Dan remembered dammit.

Icing on the cake was that we didn't address the D line properly, and then switched to a 3-4. Death blow we never had a nose. So we have FINALLY given up on finding a traditional 3-4 340 Ngata grade NT, and started drafting DL.  There is only one missing piece. A proven DC.

I do wonder how much of what we see is Jay's directive. Only blitz one guy - got it!?

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Completely agree here. 100 till snyder is gone we're ****ed as fans..other than a few players here n there...there ain't **** to look forward to with this ****ty franchise.

Doesn't look like you followed your own advice below, only took an hour lol. 

So what if everyone..not trying to tell yall how to live ur lifes..focused more on the now then the future?..that's confusing to me honestly..we know theres no future..till you know who Is out of the picture focus on the now..this sundays game for example...if ya feel the skins are gonna get blown out than that's how ya feel..vise versa..I know this is a topic forum..ya have discussions on different topics..I just wonder if a.stupid ass fantasy football didnt exist and b.if supposed skins fans focused on the now if things wouldn't be different.

More seriously, it's 2019. Fans know way too much about the game, X's and O's, and how the cap works/how rosters can be built to just passively absorb the game week to week and trust mediocre or worse organisations. You keep talking about fantasy football. It's not about fantasy football. Fans have too much good information at their fingertips to accept bull**** nowadays. In the 80's you'd see your local team's games and a couple national games every week, and that was your exposure to the entire game of football. Now fans can watch All-22 footage of every NFL game every week, and the analysis is endless.

You seem to be yearning for a bygone era filled with dumber fans who just accept what teams sell them because they have no choice. That's not where we are anymore and it's not just because of fantasy football that you demonize for whatever reason. 

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

all i can say is it’s more than sad when your first rounder rob suffers an injury significant enough to be placed on IR and your like “i’d rather the 34 yo backup play anyway”.

Wait Rob what am I missing here?

Okay I think we're talking about RG3 here. Not sure how it went there.

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Doesn't look like you followed your own advice below, only took an hour lol. 

More seriously, it's 2019. Fans know way too much about the game, X's and O's, and how the cap works/how rosters can be built to just passively absorb the game week to week and trust mediocre or worse organisations. You keep talking about fantasy football. It's not about fantasy football. Fans have too much good information at their fingertips to accept bull**** nowadays. In the 80's you'd see your local team's games and a couple national games every week, and that was your exposure to the entire game of football. Now fans can watch All-22 footage of every NFL game every week, and the analysis is endless.

You seem to be yearning for a bygone era filled with dumber fans who just accept what teams sell them because they have no choice. That's not where we are anymore and it's not just because of fantasy football that you demonize for whatever reason. 

I'm sorry man.. once again I've gotten out of line and again sorry for stepping on anybody's toes or being disrespectful... and for what it's worth I was not drinking not drunk at all lol

I'm sorry man.. once again I've gotten out of line and again sorry for stepping on anybody's toes or being disrespectful... and for what it's worth I was not drinking not drunk at all lol

Don't apologize to anyone, you did nothing wrong & I enjoy your posts & positivity around these parts. If people are going to go to pieces after a week one loss to a division rival in their home stadium then maybe either their expectations are too high about the Redskins or perhaps the game of football is a tad bit too emotionally intense for them.You seem to take things alot lighter then most, which is GOOD and nothing to apologize for 

We know what we get with this team year in and year out, I'll do my fair share of ****ing like anyone else but at the end of the day we know what this team is,what it will be and what it has always been and we know why.  Hi Dan !🖕

7 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

all i can say is it’s more than sad when your first rounder suffers an injury significant enough to be placed on IR and your like “i’d rather the 34 yo backup play anyway”.

?

If you are referring to Guice he was a second round pick.   I see you edited to remove the "Rob", that's what desert was referring to when he mentioned Griffin.

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Never forget Barry only got a DC job because his father-in-law was the coach.  I thought he was winless but that I guess that one win lured Bruce in. 

You almost cannot make this stuff up.  We had IIRC Wade Phillips basically hanging out in Ashburn for a year and dumbass couldn't hire him.  Instead we took our retro special teamer instead. A name that Dan remembered dammit.

Icing on the cake was that we didn't address the D line properly, and then switched to a 3-4. Death blow we never had a nose. So we have FINALLY given up on finding a traditional 3-4 340 Ngata grade NT, and started drafting DL.  There is only one missing piece. A proven DC.

I do wonder how much of what we see is Jay's directive. Only blitz one guy - got it!?

Barry may have been winless, I could be mistaken.

There were actually a couple of coaches out there who had a far better resume' than Barry; when he was hired the first thing that popped in my head was Gruden didn't want a DC who performed better than he did on offense for fear of losing his job if/when things went south. Its a far-reaching concept but it seems to fit the narrative thus far.

The deal with Gruden is him wanting his fingers in everyone's ice cream; maybe he doesn't trust his assistants with doing their job so he feels he has to put in his 2 cents in.

Gibbs was successful by assembling very good assistants, and a lot of them; he had more coaches and assistants than any other team in the league, and that led to more accurate coaching techniques, teaching the little tricks in the fundamentals, and the players responded well. Hec, Darrell Green had a book on every WR, that's how he absorbed the teachings of a brilliant head coach.

Gruden's guys are the Jamaican workers in "In Living Color", they have so many jobs they cannot get detailed in one aspect.

I am sort of in between both points being argued on the thread.  I do agree that last Sunday's game is just one game and nothing about it makes me want to throw in the towel.  I took some positives out of that game. But I do understand the fan discontent.  Dan has done sort of a death by a thousand cuts approach and it finally wore some fans downs.  You got some debates between more homer types and more critical types -- with the homer types touting the improvement of how they go about things so just be patient and hang in there.  I get that point.  But I get the other side a bit more on it considering some of the holistic reasons why this team has become stagnant still exists and we got a owner who comes off like he's got his head in his sand on those variables yet supposedly he's confused about fan sentiment and what it takes to turn it around. 

In the book GM, the ex-Giant GM highlighted the Redskins fans for being the best in the NFC East, talking about how they had a packed stadium for a home closer when they were already mathematically eliminated, etc. 

Personally, I don't think the idea that Redskins fans were among the best in the NFL is fools gold.  I've watched games on the road with Redskins fans, and we travel well and are into it.  

As for the home stadium stuff, TV ratings.  IMO Dan has presented multiple challenges that frankly other bad teams haven't had to experience.  I challenge the idea that Browns fans have had it worse.  I think we have.  To me its not all about the record.  Yeah 7-9 feels better than 3-13 but that's not enough.  In the NFL if you aren't winning, you need to sell the fan base on the future or something exciting in the mix of the present and Dan has not been friendly on that count.

With Dan you got:

A.  For almost his whole tenure you've had GMs who are punch lines around the NFL.  That's insane.  For almost the whole 20 years you had both Dan and his lieutenant both mocked around the league as being the loserville version of Batman and Robin.  Whether that is deserved or not, is a different discussion.  But that absolutely is the perception according to most.   And the GM has become a really sexy position from a PR stand point around the league.   This seems to totally escape Dan.

B. No star power.  Not a single first team ALL Pro.  Trent arguably deserving of it.  But fans don't go to games to watch a LT.   We have the next tier type of good players but no Adrain Peterson in his prime types, no Beckham's, Von Miller types, etc.  

C.  We have one of the worst stadiums in the NFL. 

D. No seasons where they've won over 10 games.  This point seems to set off a FO homer type who likes to say what's the difference between 10 wins or a higher win total, etc as long as you get in the playoffs.  Well to me the difference is huge.  If let's say you win 12 games, you've had a blow the doors off type of big season.  And we've not experienced that since 1991.  That's insane.  Every other team in the NFL has had a season where they've won over 10 in the last 20 years plus.

E.  The comically inept way they have screwed up the Qb position.  It's been a hall mark.  They've thrown money, draft picks, you name it.  

F.  This one to me is the key -- fans are burnt out on the new beginnings narrative.  We've had the hall of fame type coach, the college guru. offensive genius, QB guru -- on and on.  So what are you going to sell this time and why should fans buy into it?

G.  Dan doesn't do reboots.  I am close with many Dolphin fans.  They've been frustrated like us over the years but are digging that the Dolphins are starting over.  Dan doesn't start over.  I am not saying I like what the Dolphins are doing in total but at least they have a sell built into their approach.  I gather Dan thinks fans care a lot about whether they finish 7-9 or 4-12 and like him can't tolerate a reboot.  I think he's wrong. 

Some of the other bad teams have had some of these variables.  But not all of them.   The Browns have been a worse team than the Redskins during that span.  But at least they've seen actual ownership changes.  Changes in the FO.  Changes in approach.  Dan on the other hand seems stuck on neutral.  And it's tough for fans to get excited about a dude like that.  

Having said that I do think they can eventually get lucky.  So I get the more homerish view on one take of the team.  What if Haskins develops.  Then you escape the QB dungeon.  That's huge in the context of Dan's tenure.  And while I don't love this roster without a franchise QB.  I do think it would be a good roster with a franchise QB.  Baseball is different than football (no cap among other things) but Steinbrenner seemed stuck in the mud too but eventually he got lucky.  It could happen here, too. 

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

No need to apologize for your opinion man, we're just having a discussion. You're good. No disrespect or stepping on toes, we just disagree on some stuff. 

The roster construction and overall philosophy of how to build a team continues to trend in a positive direction. Comparing teams 20, 10, or 5 years ago doesn’t hold a lot of value, IMO. Yes, the owner and president remain, providing an easy 1 + 1 type conclusion as to why the team is average, but this philosophy employed by the FO is relatively new to the team. The team is full of youth with arrows pointing up on both sides of the ball and a elite talent at QB chomping at the bit for an opportunity. 

If argument is culture within the organization, then you have no argument from me. The FO appears to not understand or value this enough or maybe the ability to do so. Scott M assisted with moving the arrow up with consistently discussing variables related to culture, but we know how that ended (nothing to do with success of his drafts, just the culture and how he communicated this to the fans/players). 

Coaches and players can play a significant role in establishing and BRAND of football contributing to an overall culture. One reason why I was excited more than most about Alex Smith (an average QB with elite leadership/intangibles) helping to cement a brand of football— providing an opportunity to separate from the average or middle of the pack, then handing it off to a young QB. A brand about winning, nothing else, while hoping the overall culture would be positively impacted for a period of time. 

I agree 100%. Trading back into the 1st round to draft Montez Sweat goes hand in hand with your line of thinking.  A guy with a questionable medical diagnosis that nobody else wanted to touch falls in the round and it seems like a great value pick HOWEVER in my humble opinion the Redskins aren’t the organization that can afford to make “luxury” picks that need to be fully developed.  The Redskins have NEVER under Snyder really developed anybody particularly well!

30 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I agree 100%. Trading back into the 1st round to draft Montez Sweat goes hand in hand with your line of thinking.  A guy with a questionable medical diagnosis that nobody else wanted to touch falls in the round and it seems like a great value pick HOWEVER in my humble opinion the Redskins aren’t the organization that can afford to make “luxury” picks that need to be fully developed.  The Redskins have NEVER under Snyder really developed anybody particularly well!

Nobody else wanted? We did jump back into the first to beat the Raiders to select him, it was reported at the time Sweat was thier next pick in the first round.

Not sure that's a good thing, but nevertheless not wanted?

I find this thread interesting.  I joined ES many years ago but rarely posted.  Just too many delusional fans who attacked those who saw the Redskins for who they were and voiced our displeasure. Too many fans ready to anoint Devon Thomas as the next Art Monk, the homerism was over the top and anyone who disagreed had their fandom questioned.  But the tide has turned and negative comments are now the norm, interesting development.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, RandyHolt said:

I have seen nothing to suggest that Payne and Settle are not traditional NTs.  Now they may not quite as big as your Ted Washington's but you don't have to be clones of the ideal player to still live up to it

On 9/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Skins are not rotted as an organization. They are molded. Rot you can fix with some beams. Mold requires either tearing everything down and starting over. That or incredibly long, arduous, and maybe not entirely successful clean up work.

Best description I’ve ever heard for the state of the Redskins. Well done. 

Archived