Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

desertbeagle85

You have to just flat out release him IMO. He is going to get another concussion. There's no way he doesn't, it's a known weakness that will be taken advantage of, like last year.

We really don't want his last hit to happen while he's with us. Even if you trade him, there's still blood on our hands.

I really think Reeds future is going to be very sad. Poster child sad and It would be a hell of a lot better for us, if we tried to convince him to retire and when he wouldn't, we just released him to make his own decision. 

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You have to just flat out release him IMO. He is going to get another concussion. There's no way he doesn't, it's a known weakness that will be taken advantage of, like last year.

We really don't want his last hit to happen while he's with us. Even if you trade him, there's still blood on our hands.

I really think Reeds future is going to be very sad. Poster child sad and It would be a hell of a lot better for us, if we tried to convince him to retire and when he wouldn't, we just released him to make his own decision. 

The wild thing is, this is becoming true for most players, the risk of missing time due to concussion like symptoms. Will be fascinating to see the evolution of concussion protocol, especially with each passing year the stigma of being weak or soft NOT being attributed to it. 

Reed is certainly on the extreme of extreme ends of the spectrum. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not sure if his could ever happen - but I would like to see some forced retirements based on possibly number and severity of concussion. Medical people would have to define the actual thresholds. 

You could include a buyout of whatever contract they have. But instead of the team paying it directly there is a fund specifically to buy out player contracts. Now i know they could go to another league - say the Canadian league or the new league, but that becomes on them. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure if his could ever happen - but I would like to see some forced retirements based on possibly number and severity of concussion. Medical people would have to define the actual thresholds. 

You could include a buyout of whatever contract they have. But instead of the team paying it directly there is a fund specifically to buy out player contracts. Now i know they could go to another league - say the Canadian league or the new league, but that becomes on them. 

I agree with this.  These guys are so competitive and are pushed their whole careers to play through injuries, they don't know what's good for them.  They end up messing themselves up seriously for life and then they wonder why they have CTE later.  If the NFL really wants to safeguard their players sometimes you have to save them from themselves.  It also would prevent any future lawsuits to the NFL for any damages if they are forced out for their own well being.

I don't think it should fall on the teams either, though I think the teams should have a say in it, and then the player would need to be evaluated by a neutral party.  Pay should then be doled out in some form of way or another by the NFL that the teams themselves contribute to.  Kinda like a social security tax.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

The timing is odd here.

One day he's said to still be in the protocol and the literal next day he's not anymore.

We've heard nothing about it for months, and then in two days we get back to back news hits.

Not sure what could be going on. But it's odd coincidence at the very least. 

Doubt they constantly monitor concussed players after the season. He probably just decided to go in and get checked out when the news broke. Nothing more, nothing less.

How does one get cleared by a doctor when they've had 7 concussions?  What's the number before it becomes dangerous and the player's risk of long term effects is almost guaranteed.

The players association and the league should be looking at this, players arent always going to make the right decision and I find it hypocritical of the players not to step in and police themselves.

6 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

Your analogy has not been Reed's reality.  To use it more accurately, Reed has been unavailable to work in the coal mine the majority of his career due to severe respiratory issues with the last 2 years being the worst.   It's considered insanity to keep doing the same thing expecting different results.  The odds are extremely great that he will receive another concussion probably from his first big hit.  Reed cannot help this team if he's not on the field and chances are extremely high that he won't be again this year.

Their decision to release him would be both personal (for his well being) and business (so their money could be better spent).  If he were my son, I would beg him to never play again.  

Oh not disagreeing with most of what you said. The concussion issue is definitely real. But if he's healthy a team is not going to just say, well you might get another one so we're going to let you go, even though you're a beast on the field. Getting through concussion protocol (now that their is one), means that his brain function is working at the healthy state or at least baseline for Reed. I get what you're saying from a parent standpoint as well as his well being. But money better spent is subjective. I could say money could be better spent on a RB because the odds of Guice getting injured is fairly high based on the past. Same with Chris Thompson over the years. If Reed decides to play, I'd rather him be here than anywhere else.

39 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

How does one get cleared by a doctor when they've had 7 concussions?  What's the number before it becomes dangerous and the player's risk of long term affects is almost guaranteed.

The players association and the league should be looking at this, players arent always going to make the right decision and I find it hypocritical of the players not to step in and police themselves.

I don't think its that simple. Some guys go their entire career with unreported concussions. You take a defensive player or a linemen that is hitting virtually every play since he was in little league. Helmet to helmet every down. The guy probably can't count how many times he's had his bell rung. Yet that same guy goes on to be fine after his career ends. On the other hand, you have a player that takes a hit only when they catch the ball. In Reeds case, he's had his bell rung on 7 different plays over his college and NFL career. I'm not minimizing it. I'm just not sure if the players association can quantify what you're proposing. I think you'd have more defensive players getting placed in protocol if that be the case.

A tweet to make it official.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Anddddd just like that, i have no current players jerseys..... **** that 😂😂😂😂😂😂 

Norman-gone, can’t wear that on game days. 

Reed-gone, can’t wear that on game days. 

All this shows is you are an easy mark for Snyder to sell you stuff. :P

Go buy a Haskins Jersey.  It will work out great.  

I had a rule to only buy retired players jerseys.  I have a Monk, Grimm and Jacoby.  All purchased shortly after they retired.  

The only active player jersey I've purchased? Sean Taylor.  Actually did it twice.  I got a ST36 jersey when he was drafted, then traded it for a 21 the next year.  That's the last time I buy an active players jersey.  

Reed will always be the story of "what if". 

What is he was healthy? What could he have accomplished? He's got insane talent, but unfortunately his body couldn't keep up. 

This cut needed to happen, but I like him and hope his long term health is intact. 

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:
All this shows is you are an easy mark for Snyder to sell you stuff. :P

Go buy a Haskins Jersey.  It will work out great.  

These jerseys have been Christmas presents whenever i ask A family member for one, but yeah I think I’m done asking for a jersey until i know the player has at least 4 successful seasons with us 😂 

OH, and i forgot about my desean Jackson jersey i have. Got that for my 21st birthday a few years back. Can’t wear that one either 😂 

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Medical Retirement which should have benefits linked to it and paid for by the NFL as a whole.

I find myself wondering how adequate, accurate and consistent the concussion protocol is. I remember my coach telling us that if we get injured, use the team medical staff because if you use a third party, they'll diagnose you to the enth degree. So a knee that normally runs 6-8 might be 12-18 at an outside medical facility. I'm just wondering if that inconsistency exist with this injury. I'm also wondering that if a player is released from the protocol, does that mean the brain has healed from the trauma (if there is such a thing)? 

https://baselinetesting.com/

Archived