Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

24 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I just wish people would post their receipts when these claims are made. 

Yep. That's a hashtag waiting to happen too. Call out the liars and be read for the person who posts a receipt from Costco when what they bought is a 4x size box claiming thats the $8 box. 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Passing costs on to the consumer for the win...

The funny thing is it doesn’t matter. 

All sellers of goods in a capitalist market will sell their thing at the price that makes the most revenue. This is purely about supply and demand. The cost of inputs, including labor, is not part of that calculation. This is like week 3 of a college microeconomics course. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The funny thing is it doesn’t matter. 

I don't remember that in my micro or macro economics classes, but I went to ITT Tech, so maybe that's why.

If Collective Bargaining doesn't matter, why does Corporate America do everything they can to squash it?

Does the math really say if we raised the national minimum wage to $15 that no business that sells goods will raise prices to maintain or continue to grow their revenue numbers so they don't cause their stock price to drop?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't remember that in my micro or macro economics classes, but I went to ITT Tech, so maybe that's why.

If Collective Bargaining doesn't matter, why does Corporate America do everything they can to squash it?

Does the math really say if we raised the national minimum wage to $15 that no business that sells goods will raise prices to maintain or continue to grow their revenue numbers so they don't cause their stock price to drop?

Whether companies want to spend less on labor and how they set the prices of their trucks are two separate things was the point.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In a free market, ideally raising prices would be limited if consumers behave rationally.  Now how many of our markets actually behave like free markets because of large corporations and consumers act rationally (e.g. brand loyalty and advertising influencing consumer behavior might limit the rationality of the consumers/markets) is questionable.

Let's simplify.  Let's imagine two fast food restaurants after an increase in labor costs:

1.  increases prices to try to make up income and maintain the same revenue.

2.  the other maintains their prices even if it means a loss of revenue.

Ideally (in theory), consumers would leave the 1st to go to the 2nd.  The share of the market of the 2nd would increase and while they are making less per a burger they'd sell more burgers and would come as close if not closer to their same overall revenue as the 1st.  The end result is you only need one fast food restaurant to hold their prices and for consumers to behave rationally for the prices of all fast food places not to go up.  Now if your market is dominated by a few large chains then you might not really have a free market where that happens (especially if said chains are colluding at a higher level) or if your consumers don't act rationally and remain loyal to #1 despite the price increase.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

😯  Tell me more......

Not sure if serious, but I was referring to Dunkin', Taco Bell, Wendy's, McD's, Domino's, etc. all have "rewards" points for free future purchases.  People think it's a good deal, but they're spending their money on crap to get free stuff later (to the detriment of their health).  My point is that there are better deals to be had. 

• Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not sure if serious, but I was referring to Dunkin', Taco Bell, Wendy's, McD's, Domino's, etc. all have "rewards" points for free future purchases.  People think it's a good deal, but they're spending their money on crap to get free stuff later (to the detriment of their health).  My point is that there are better deals to be had. 

Ahh.  I thought there was going to be an app I didn't know about where restaurants give free food.  I was REALLY excited.  

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

WeWork Files for Bankruptcy Amid Glut of Empty Offices

WeWork, the real estate company that offered start-ups and individuals sleek quarters to pursue their entrepreneurial dreams, filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States on Monday after years of struggling to find its footing.

The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in New Jersey, as part of what it described as a “comprehensive reorganization” of its business.

The company said creditors holding 92 percent of its secured debt had agreed on a restructuring plan that would include reducing its portfolio of office leases.

“As part of today’s filing, WeWork is requesting the ability to reject the leases of certain locations, which are largely nonoperational, and all affected members have received advanced notice,” the company said in a statement.

In September, WeWork said it would begin to renegotiate all its leases and exit certain locations. On its website, it lists 660 locations in 37 countries, down from the 764 locations in 38 countries it had about two years earlier. The company was renting nearly 20 million square feet of office space in June, more than any other company in the United States. Monday’s actions will not affect WeWork franchises outside the United States and Canada, the company said.

WeWork’s demise is a blow for landlords who have leased a large proportion of their space to the company. Many landlords have accepted lower rents from WeWork in recent years, and some are struggling to make payments on the debt tied to their buildings. Since the pandemic, fewer employees have been going into the office, causing one of the worst crunches in commercial real estate in decades.

Click on the link for the full article

WeWork’s valuation was always nonsense. They got SoftBank as an investor early on, and when SoftBank wanted to start a new fund, they wanted to show the fund with the WeWork investment as an example of their success. They accomplished this by investing further into WeWork with an absurd valuation to make the whole investment look good— “I just invested $100,000 for 0.01% of WeWork, so it’s worth $1B. Also I happen to own 10% of it from a previous investment, so that investment is worth ‘$100M. Wooooo!”

Free food ap?

Do you know where your local food banks are that grocers can give food that will expire soon?  We have one a half mile from our house at a church every Thursday and Saturday morning.  We can usually get a couple meals for the week along with snack foods for our family of 6.  The local grocery stores get a tax write-off and locals who want it can get free food.  At least near us, there is no requirement to be poor or show poverty, and the people in the lines are mixed income levels.  .The requirement is not to be too proud to take, use or freeze food that will otherwise go bad.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, gbear said:

Free food ap?

Do you know where your local food banks are that grocers can give food that will expire soon?  We have one a half mile from our house at a church every Thursday and Saturday morning.  We can usually get a couple meals for the week along with snack foods for our family of 6.  The local grocery stores get a tax write-off and locals who want it can get free food.  At least near us, there is no requirement to be poor or show poverty, and the people in the lines are mixed income levels.  .The requirement is not to be too proud to take, use or freeze food that will otherwise go bad.

That is fabulous! 

Being in the restaurant biz, I know all too well how much food is wasted.  Grocery stores being willing to help is great. 

• Thumb up 1