Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

Was in the egg aisle this Sunday, and 18 pack was 2 for $4. Meanwhile the older chap across the way was arguing with himself out loud that dog food is 3 times what it used to be. Perhaps he could consider switching over to an egg diet for ole’ Spot…

Edited by Hiz and Herzog
Speeling
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:42 PM, Captain Wiggles said:

Seen me some $2.99 a gallon gas. Why that's equivalent to that 36 cent a gallon gas from 1970 all them boomer continuously drone on about. 👴🏻

excited-comedy.gif

Back when I was in HS in Arlington, I could cruise the ‘69 Dodge Dart Swinger 340bbl all night if I had a fiver in my pocket.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

$4.49 a gallon for regular this morning here at a NorCal Costco. Heading to under $4 by Xmas.

I flew into Sacramento en route to Napa for a conference in April 2022, and couldn’t believe my eyes at the $7/gallon gas.  I actually thought that was MAGA propaganda until I saw it with my own eyes.

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I flew into Sacramento en route to Napa for a conference in April 2022, and couldn’t believe my eyes at the $7/gallon gas.  I actually thought that was MAGA propaganda until I saw it with my own eyes.

The only $7 gas I've ever seen in a remote area (Hana) in Maui. I remember gas around $6.50 but that was the trap placed near the highway. 

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The only $7 gas I've ever seen in a remote area (Hana) in Maui. I remember gas around $6.50 but that was the trap placed near the highway. 

It was in the $6-$6.50 range everywhere, $7 right near the airport.  We had an Armada that required premium and had to fill up for over $7 at one of the stations right outside the airport.  We were expensing it so weren’t real concerned about overpaying.  Still insane.

26 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Someone help me with the math.  When i lived in japan, gas was 115¥ per litre.  The exchange rate was around 104¥ to the dollar.  I drove a 66 gto 389 six pack.  

How much did my life suck per gallon in dollars?

3.78 liters to a gallon.

So about $4.18 a gallon with the exchange rate, I think. 

• Thanks 1

CNN: Jamie Dimon Says to Be Prepared for Recession

Ok buddy!  Maybe I will skip one of my monthly trips to Europe.  And how are you preparing?  Are you going to get a side-CEO gig?  Ask your spouse/partner to get a job?  

It's not even that he said this but also CNN just put this forward and carried the water for him. Thanks CNN!  Even if the economy doesnt have a recession, personal recessions happen every day for Americans. But who cares... becsuse personal recessions don't matter.  

Are the "Lords of Wall St" like Dimon not going to give up their CEO reins like the political class (Trump, Biden, McConnell)?  But hey... I guess their numbers are okay.  

As if the last 15 years of an econony (and people turning 40 wouldn't know any better) are "normal".  Your company hates you, expects you to put in 50 hours a week as normal, wants you to RTO and doesn't actually pay market rate because "outsourcing". But I will just use my eyeballs and say, even in my decent paying job, 1 out of 15 younger co-workers have married, started a family... a handful still live with their parents in their 30s and everyone with kids is superstressed about rising costs of everything.  I have white knuckled for 18 years... but at least I am here for now. 

Must have been nice to grow up in a decent economy where a minimum wage job could pay for college and rent (or both), you could quit a job, backpack thru Europe in your 20s and not have trouble picking up a job.  Didn't have to constantly worry about constant rent increases, and other cost increases.  We will just pretend that the economy of the 90s and before never existed.  

• Haha 1