Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#REDSKINS Post Game Comments - Gruden, Keenum, Haskins

TK

I really like Haskins, especially as I was watching this Q&A.

Seems like a very level headed guy who knows he's got a lot to learn.  It will be interesting to see the next preseason game to watch his development after a shaky first outing.

8 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

1st off I'm a Haskins supporter and have been from the time we drafted him. I don't care about the INTs last night either. With that being said is it me or does he seem like he has a attitude in this interview? 

I think he was just feeling pretty down. The guy has not had to face the nation after a poor performance yet. As a Buckeye it was almost always a happy presser.  🙂

At around 6 minutes in, I gotta know who the reporter is who gave us this amazing moment:

"When you have a pick-six like that, is it just kind of like heartbreaking, or do you, 'Oh well, this just is a learnington'? You know?"

A learnington. I smell Pulitzer. 

36 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

1st off I'm a Haskins supporter and have been from the time we drafted him. I don't care about the INTs last night either. With that being said is it me or does he seem like he has a attitude in this interview? 

I feel like hes generally like that. As in, sounds like he doesnt care, but hes just trying to be "medium". Thats his "I had a bad day but im a professional" face, if anything. 

38 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I would agree. He's clearly a very confident guy, which is great. But yes, I do see your point to be honest.

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I feel like hes generally like that. As in, sounds like he doesnt care, but hes just trying to be "medium". Thats his "I had a bad day but im a professional" face, if anything. 

I hope that's all it is. Either way he just needs to just learn and move on. Hope he improves next week. To be fair this team has a lot of improving to do. I personally wasn't impressed with any of this game. Yeah it's preseason, but damn the defense looked bad on that 1st drive. 

That's the least happy I can remember Jay ever being.

It looks like he was just eliminated from the playoffs, but as the first preseason game, it was the complete opposite.

Maybe he's just tired of all the press after the last couple weeks, or maybe he takes a preseason game one loss seriously because he's really taking the season serious ?

Maybe Jay sees the writing on the wall that this will be a rough season for the offense.  Inexperienced/marginal QBs.  Injured backs.  JAG receivers.  Trash offensive linemen.  There isn't an inseason fix for the offense because the problems are with personnel.  The breakdowns are happening because the personnel just aren't good.

3 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I think he was really disappointed, you could see him on the sidelines acting the same way.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Maybe Jay sees the writing on the wall that this will be a rough season for the offense.  Inexperienced/marginal QBs.  Injured backs.  JAG receivers.  Trash offensive linemen.  There isn't an inseason fix for the offense because the problems are with personnel.  The breakdowns are happening because the personnel just aren't good.

I will make a sig bet with you, that the offense this year will be better than last year.  I guarantee it.

We didn’t see Jordan Reed

No Scherff or Moses

QB still getting familiar with the playbook

No McLaurin (very telling of his potential)

No Guice ( who has looked better than Peterson according to Casserly)

No Adrian Peterson

I get to pick what your sig says. Deal?

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Some merit in this. Jay needs a **** load of cards to fall his way. Could end up just about good enough.....literally just about good enough...or it may turn ugly fast.

But, and I'm not a naturally naive person I hope :nono:..but  holding our own this season, getting Haskins in prep for #1 QB and drafting well in 2020 would leave us looking, erm....dare I say pretty solid

36 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I will make a sig bet with you, that the offense this year will be better than last year.  I guarantee it.

Way to go out on a limb with that prediction, given the fact the offense was bottom barrel last season.  If besting that MASH unit is your bar for success, then I agree with you that you won't be disappointed.

How about setting the bar at top 16 offensive DVOA?

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

For all the crap he gets, the reality is we arwnt getting him what he needs to run his offense at its potential.  The one time we came close we made the playoffs, now that QB and two 1000 yard receivers are gone.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Way to go out on a limb with that prediction, given the fact the offense was bottom barrel last season.  If besting that MASH unit is your bar for success, then I agree with you that you won't be disappointed.

How about setting the bar at top 16 offensive DVOA?

Done.  Could you be more sarcastic?

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

For all the crap he gets, the reality is we arwnt getting him what he needs to run his offense at its potential.  The one time we came close we made the playoffs, now that QB and two 1000 yard receivers are gone. 

I don't necessarily think he maximizes his talent either, like the best offensive coaches do.  Like an Andy Reid, for example.

Our running game has never really looked right under Jay.  And it really feels like we have to labor to create easy throws and get the passing game in rhythm.  We were better with Kirk at QB, but not exceptional.

Jay is also part of the decision making process on personnel.

It kind of feels like the same situation as with the Wizards, where we've got a B coach and a bunch of B personnel when we need some guys who are A level staff/personnel to get up there and compete with the contenders.  That's kind of the natural result of picking in the middle of drafts every year.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I actually think there is enough talent on this offense that if it’s well coached, well called and well prepared then it can be ok.  It’s not going to be the greatest show on turf.  But the OL should be “ok.” Between Reed, CT, Guice, and some of the young receivers, you can have some positive momentum on offense.

The question is, can Gruden/O’Connell and company put these guys in position to maximize their talent.  

50 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't necessarily think he maximizes his talent either, like the best offensive coaches do.  Like an Andy Reid, for example.

Our running game has never really looked right under Jay.  And it really feels like we have to labor to create easy throws and get the passing game in rhythm.  We were better with Kirk at QB, but not exceptional.

Jay is also part of the decision making process on personnel.

It kind of feels like the same situation as with the Wizards, where we've got a B coach and a bunch of B personnel when we need some guys who are A level staff/personnel to get up there and compete with the contenders.  That's kind of the natural result of picking in the middle of drafts every year.

Agree about the running game. It could just be me, but it's never seemed like our running game has ever really had an identity. It's sort of a frankenstein of various zone and power schemes, all called way too predictably or at the wrong time and with the wrong personnel. But that could have more to do with the talent that's available as well. IIRC Callahan has a decent amount of input in the run game as well. Not sure what the deal is, but it's frustrating. 

At the 2:00 mark

Reporter:  Was there a reason that player didn't play?
Jay:  He was in there for one play, wasn't he?
Reporter:  Yes, I think one play.
Jay:  Then he played.  NEXT!

Badass moment.

I know he's not Gibbs, but I really like Jay.  If you just gave me pictures of his faces after games, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's after preseason game one or a playoff game.  He's never satisfied.  I like that.

Anyone have a list of who didn't play last night?

I think it'll be handy to keep in mind who the coaches think is a tier above the rest of the roster.

I'm counting 2 TE's, C, RG, RT, 3 WR, and 3 RB on offense.  Not including Colt, as he was limping recently so health is in question.

I'm counting 2 Edge, 3 IDL, 3 CB's, FS, SS on defense.  Linebackers all played.

So the coaches seem to think either linebacker is still an open competition, or the talent level there to begin with isn't so hot.  I think we all know that Doctson, Richardson, and the rookie McLaurin aren't an amazing trio.  But that also means the guys the coaches think are a tier below them, are considerably worse.

Archived