Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So this is first time on field with a press pass.  Alex smith in a seat 10 feet behind me sitting with crutches in hand and what looks like an air cast.  

Would it be bad press conduct to ask for a picture or autograph?

I hope you meet him.

If it were me, I'd hold up a sign that says, "I'd love to have A. Smith's autograph." Then conveniently point it in his view.

Much less intrusive than getting in his face :)

Seriously though, if you approach him respectfully and slowly, and not abruptly or in too close of a proximity, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope you meet him.

If it were me, I'd hold up a sign that says, "I'd love to have A. Smith's autograph." Then conveniently point it in his view.

Much less intrusive than getting in his face :)

Seriously though, if you approach him respectfully and slowly, and not abruptly or in too close of a proximity, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

I was advised against it.  Was told I can be media or fan, not both.  But was given some gouge on another opportunity where I can have both statuses. 

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

@Fresh8686 nice to see what Davis continuing to do, based  on that tweet. He is quietly having a great camp. And like the commentary said, he not getting the publicity that deserves, probably because there's so many other storylines at the WR position.

Definitely and I wonder if he’s even fully recovered yet. I hope he continues to ball out because he has the physical tools. The last spots for WR are gonna be a fierce battle this year. 

Also, happy to see Steve Sims doing well and maybe breaking into the 2nd string spot for slot receiver according to Standig’s depth chart. Ive had my eye on him since we picked him up after the draft. 

24 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No reason Guice should get preseason carries less than a year removed from the ACL tear, but he will starting next week, I'm sure. 

It literally will be 12 months exactly on Friday.  I think he probably needs to be out there in live game reps.  Cant bubble wrap him, if he's ready, he's ready.

55 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No reason Guice should get preseason carries less than a year removed from the ACL tear, but he will starting next week, I'm sure. 

20 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It literally will be 12 months exactly on Friday.  I think he probably needs to be out there in live game reps.  Cant bubble wrap him, if he's ready, he's ready.

Jay said he's not even sure he'll play Thursday. In fact, it could wait another 1-2 weeks.

Also said it would be a "group decision"

40 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Absolutely can bubble wrap him lol, but we won't. RBs are the easiest position to come in off the couch and play well, easiest position to transition from college.

I get that he looks great, and needs reps. Especially in pass pro if he's ever gonna play with Haskins. But that won't be week 1 so imo, we could preserve him if we wanted and allow him to learn on the job splitting with AP and playing with the vet QBs that we don't care about. 

We won't and that's a fair call since he looks and feels healthy. I just disagree, specifically with a RB who is pushing himself coming off an ACL. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was advised against it.  Was told I can be media or fan, not both.  But was given some gouge on another opportunity where I can have both statuses. 

So, there is a line of professionalism, but as someone who did it at a pretty high level you can cross the line. It's okay to have fun and be in the moment. You oughtn't fan boy because it will be hard for the person to take you seriously if you interview them, but you certainly can celebrate the moment. One of my regrets in reporting was when working for WAMU 88.5 I managed to swing a 1:1 with Joe Gibbs. It probably my third professional story and I was so concerned with being professional that I never took the camera off my neck, hand it off, and have someone take a picture of me interviewing him. Years later, I got to cover the White House. Did I learn from my mistakes? I asked permission and then got a White House staffer to take a picture of me behind the Presidential seal in the briefing room. For the longest time, it was my facebook photo.

It's okay to recognize how lucky we are to do this. Just be unconscious of their time and be respectful of their position. Also, be okay with no or I don't have time for you. Worse comes to worse, reporters do ask for autographs for their children or their "children" all the time.

Went to training camp today, pretty cool to see our offense and our defense up close :D woodrum had a nice drive to end practice, and colt and case looked good. Haskins as well. 

Stopped by The Hof Garden (a rooftop bar) on West Broad Street for lunch and a couple beers before making my way back to the greyhound bus station. Great day! So pumped to watch the team Thursday night!! 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Went to training camp today, pretty cool to see our offense and our defense up close :D woodrum had a nice drive to end practice, and colt and case looked good. Haskins as well. 

Stopped by The Hof Garden (a rooftop bar) on West Broad Street for lunch and a couple beers before making my way back to the greyhound bus station. Great day! So pumped to watch the team Thursday night!! 

A greyhound bus?..ya mean more like 5 large draft beers and a couple 3 shots 

9 hours ago, skinzplay said:

The team should've never gone into the season with only two active QBs on the roster. That was about as brain-dead a move as one could imagine, particularly given the history/concerns about injuries and the reliance on backups along the OL. Having to resort to Sanchez was embarrassing from a team planning standpoint, or at least it should've been.

Not really sure what you'd expect from a third string QB. Sure, it's virtually certain anyone would be better than Sanchez. But it's matter of comparing bad QB play to horrific. It is what it is. I'd rather keep Cam Sims, or whomever you believe was the 53rd player on the roster, rather than waste a spot on a bad run QB.

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not really sure why not. It's not like there's a medical reason against it. Players have come back from ACL tears in half the time in various sports. And it's not like Guice is at some heightened risk of injury because he tore his ACL a year ago. There may have been an injury risk of coming back too fast, but that went bye months ago. A tthis point, Guice just needs reps more than anything.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not really sure why not. It's not like there's a medical reason against it. Players have come back from ACL tears in half the time in various sports. And it's not like Guice is at some heightened risk of injury because he tore his ACL a year ago. There may have been an injury risk of coming back too fast, but that went bye months ago. A tthis point, Guice just needs reps more than anything.

This...is not true at all. Players coming back from an ACL are at higher risk for compensation injuries to other areas of their legs, even if it's "just" hammy pulls and such.

But it doesn't matter because my post wasn't about him having a higher risk of injury. It's just about the injury risk period. 

I know it's just me and that my opinion doesn't matter, I'm just personally satisfied with his recovery and don't see the need to risk anything in a preseason game. Unlike many positions, a talented RB can often just slot in and pick right up where they left off in college, no biggie. 

I don't really care that they're not gonna do that. I'd just protect our best offensive weapon (imo) in preseason because he's got that reckless Portis gene in him where he'll go 110% no matter what. Now that gene is also probably why he's recovering like AP did with complete trust in his knee, which is important, so I can't hate on it. It's why he'll be a stud if healthy.

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I know it's just me and that my opinion doesn't matter, I'm just personally satisfied with his recovery and don't see the need to risk anything in a preseason game. Unlike many positions, a talented RB can often just slot in and pick right up where they left off in college, no biggie. 

So I think you're right when it comes to running the ball, but I think the pass-protection and receiver out of the backfield elements could take some reps in real games to get right.  it's new verbiage.  New assignments.  And if you zig when you're supposed to zag, the QB could get killed.   

I wouldn't actually mind if Guice got work in the second half with the real backups (maybe Woodrum at QB) and never actually had a carry, just worked on pass protection and receiver things. 

I also agree, however, that you don't want to over-work players coming back from serious injury, because there's no question that the mountain of statistical evidence points to the fact once you've been injured, you're MUCH more likely to get injured again. 

The question is just how do you balance getting the necessary work (and again, I agree, carries are not the thing I'd be concerned with for a RB), but also be cautious so you don't push it too hard in a meaningless situation.

I almost view it as part of the recovery process, to be honest.

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Jay said he's not even sure he'll play Thursday. In fact, it could wait another 1-2 weeks.

Also said it would be a "group decision"

The "Group Decision" should be:

Jay (Coaching staff)

Surgeon or designee.  Did Dr. "beenie  hat" Andrews do this surgery as well?

Training/strength and conditioning staff

Guice himself

It SHOULD NOT include el Presidente Bruce Allen or Owner Dan Snyder.  

Having said that, I've started to read  when Jay says "Group Decision" to actually mean "unilateral decision by Bruce that I'll go along with because I don't have a choice." 

My take on Colt not playing in the first preseason game is this:  

1.) Colt is (right now) the opening day starter.  Tooting my own horn here but I called this :)

2.)  I heard that Dwayne was getting a lot of first team reps.   This could mean that he starts or plays most of the game on Thursday.  This is super exciting, getting an extended look at him agains 1s and 2s will tell us a lot about where he is.  

3.) Im super excited for Thursday!

4.) Hail!

3 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

My take on Colt not playing in the first preseason game is this:  

1.) Colt is (right now) the opening day starter.  Tooting my own horn here but I called this :)

2.)  I heard that Dwayne was getting a lot of first team reps.   This could mean that he starts or plays most of the game on Thursday.  This is super exciting, getting an extended look at him agains 1s and 2s will tell us a lot about where he is.  

3.) Im super excited for Thursday!

4.) Hail!

I think they wanna give the other two every chance to take that job.  In their heart of hearts, they may love Colt, but they know starting him outta the gate is probably not gonna end well, for anybody.  We wouldnt have Alex Smith if they truly thought he was viable.

Archived