Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think most Redskin fans would be unhappy with this.  Either Case or Dwayne needs to start.

I just thought of another advantage with Colt in there.

3 out of our first 4 games are against division rivals.

So there's the huge difference among the QB's with familiarity with those opponents. Plus 2 of those 3 divisional games are Away. That's a factor as well.

Everyone knows Colt likely won't be the starter for very long, if he's granted the opening game status. He just has to be the best option for the beginning

of the season. And while people might have justifiable reasons to question his "starter capability", they certainly don't offset the advantages he offers.

So it's important to look at the big picture of what a QB brings. Not just 1 or 2 of his flaws. And also look at the big picture of the season. If Colt starts the

first game or 2, not to look at it as if we're committing to him long-term.

32 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think most Redskin fans would be unhappy with this.  Either Case or Dwayne needs to start.

Colt knows the offense. I'd be fine if he won the gig until Haskins is ready. Neither Colt nor Keenum are going to be lights out starters at any rate, so just start the one that looks best in preseason.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Why?  So we can make the fans feel better??  The player that gives us the best chance to win should start.  Right now, its probably Colt.  Hopefully DH makes a huge leap soon.  But to suggest Jay should make this decision based on the fans happiness level is laughable.  His job is on the line. 

18 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Why?  So we can make the fans feel better??  The player that gives us the best chance to win should start.  Right now, its probably Colt.  Hopefully DH makes a huge leap soon.  But to suggest Jay should make this decision based on the fans happiness level is laughable.  His job is on the line. 

When the lights come on, I don’t trust Colt that much.  Case has at least been a solid starter for more games than Colt.  And in training camp, it’s been well documented that while Haskins is a little behind in scheme, he makes the best throws and has the best arm.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Monday Night, away in Dallas, are as bright as the lights can get.

And he just may be a better QB now, than he was then.

I used to agree. Then we saw that Thanksgiving Night, away in Dallas, was as bright as the lights could get. He is not a better QB now than he was then.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

So it's a wash. And  therefore the Bright Light Study is Inconclusive.

He's inconsistent, and he is clearly injury prone. All that considered, I'd take Case. i recall last year that some of the talk about Case's failures were on him trying to force the ball more often, following the instructions of the coaching staff. Could be those were just rumors, but considering the coaching staff got canned after 1 year, I wouldn't find it hard to believe. Gruden loves to run a lot, so I don't think Keenum would be a bad fit here, especially with his health.

29 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I used to agree. Then we saw that Thanksgiving Night, away in Dallas, was as bright as the lights could get. He is not a better QB now than he was then.

The week of the Dallas game he only had 1 practice with the team.  I think it is unfair to judge him on that game.  He has been injury prone but I would really like to see what he can do with a full camp/preseason and a few games under his belt.  I think people would be very surprised at what he can do.  Kirk was very good at playing within the system but when plays broke down, so did Kirk.  Colt has the ability to extend plays and the better instincts when things break down as well as knowing how to play in the system. 

Colt is a turnover machine most of the time. Also, he won’t make it past first four games without getting hurt. Which is why I think some of the speculation about trading Keenum is so dumb. Unless we are planning on woodrum or some other rando being our backup with Haskins starting early in the season and colt injured, it would be really dumb to say bye to Keenum. 

Additionally, this is another reason I think Keenum should be the starter is injury concerns. If he’s the starter you can trust he’ll be the starter until they’re ready for Haskins. If it’s colt, we’re going to be having another qb decision quick when he gets hurt. 

McCoy's most recent playing sample in 2019 is fairly decent numbers, especially considering what he had to work with at the time.

If he gets hurt, we're prepared ; Keenum comes in. Pretty simple.

Noone is committing to Colt for any long-term basis, or more than a transition/stop-gap anyway, so it's not the end of everything, if he starts and then gets hurt. We're fortunate to have 2 other good options in case of injury.

Bottom line, is any of the QB's can get hurt. That shouldn't decide who gets the start, if they're currently 100% healthy. It's who's playing better overall.

If Keenum hasn't grasped the offense or is shaky for whatever reason, Colt deserves it at the time.

Maybe 2-3 games in, Keenum or Haskins is ready.

18 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Monday Night, away in Dallas, are as bright as the lights can get.

And he just may be a better QB now, than he was then.

He cant live off that forever.  That was 5 years ago and he hasnt been great since in games he started and finished.  The last time he started and finished was in Dallas and he turned it over 3 times.

I envision all 3 guys are going to start this season, so it probably doesnt really matter who starts week 1.  

I just watched last years game at Dallas. Keenum is better than McCoy. But it's all moot if the o line can't run block or give any qb the time to get the receivers downfield and deliver the ball. Also these receivers need to be able to get separation to sustain drives. 

5 minutes ago, Cougarrick said:

I just watched last years game at Dallas. Keenum is better than McCoy. But it's all moot if the o line can't run block or give any qb the time to get the receivers downfield and deliver the ball. Also these receivers need to be able to get separation to sustain drives. 

Again:  It was a Thursday night game in which they only had 1 full practice (no-Pads) to install a game plan against a pretty good Defense.  We still should have won that game though.  From Cooper abusing Norman (****ty play by Clinton-Dix), to non-Pi calls resulting in INTS and the worst helmit to helmit hit I have ever seen (not called), the defense played really bad that game and the O-line was banged up.  No Chris Thompson, P Richardson, I think we can all agree that Jordan Reid was not fully healthy last year. We only gave the ball to AP 12 times.  lol this is what you use to judge McCoy?  Im no McCoy hardcore fan boy but damn lets sit back and see what the kid can actually do with a decent team around him.  Im excited for whoever the QB is.  If I had my choice I would want DH to really take control of the offense in the latter part of TC and Preseason.    

18 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Is Montez Sweat playing tonight?  With all the hype around Haskins, he’s our other 1st rounder who I’d like to hear more about. 

Not sure.

Last I heard, when they boarded the plane to Cleveland, they wrapped him in bubble wrap, and put him in the Fragile section of Cargo...jk.

Not implying he's injury prone either, just that they're trying to protect him.

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

Again:  It was a Thursday night game in which they only had 1 full practice (no-Pads) to install a game plan against a pretty good Defense.  We still should have won that game though.  From Cooper abusing Norman (****ty play by Clinton-Dix), to non-Pi calls resulting in INTS and the worst helmit to helmit hit I have ever seen (not called), the defense played really bad that game and the O-line was banged up.  No Chris Thompson, P Richardson, I think we can all agree that Jordan Reid was not fully healthy last year. We only gave the ball to AP 12 times.  lol this is what you use to judge McCoy?  Im no McCoy hardcore fan boy but damn lets sit back and see what the kid can actually do with a decent team around him.  Im excited for whoever the QB is.  If I had my choice I would want DH to really take control of the offense in the latter part of TC and Preseason.    

All I keep reading is how McCoy knows the offensive so well. What good would a weeks worth of practice gonna do him, he wasn't a rookie. Keenum is better. 

46 minutes ago, Cougarrick said:

All I keep reading is how McCoy knows the offensive so well. What good would a weeks worth of practice gonna do him, he wasn't a rookie. Keenum is better. 

You can ask any coach, and player and they will tell you that reps are pretty much all that matters when it comes to a QB. 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think a lot of national pundit types, draft geeks, power rankers are going to be shocked when this team isn't one of the worst in the NFL next season.  not that I think it swings hard the other way but I think its an 8-8 kind of team again

The old "nobody believed in us" tactic might actually work this time.  I just dont see a 4-12 roster.  We match up pretty well unit by unit for the most part, enough to not be that bad.  

Archived