Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think teams intentionally hold their Training Camps away from their "home city area", and do that for multiple reasons.

So I don't envision moving TC to Ashburn any time soon.

I think it's just old school thinking.  Whatever perceived benefit there was to traveling for camp, it is evolving.  Probably a third to half of the league has TC at or near their regular facility now, rather than shipping folks hours away to some inferior location.  I think that number is just going to increase.  

9 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

And I've always wonder why..the Patriots have practice right there where they play..the whole 9 yards all in one 

That's probably the way to go if you can arrange it. Practice in the place where you actually play the games.  Cant help but think it at least helps a little that 85-90% home winning percentage the Pat's have.

55 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That's probably the way to go if you can arrange it. Practice in the place where you actually play the games.  Cant help but think it at least helps a little that 85-90% home winning percentage the Pat's have.

Bingo!

18 hours ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Ryan Anderson reminds me a lot of Phillip Daniels but at another position. Always just "solid". I'll take that every day of the week...

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not me aside from Daniels was strong against the run and so was Anderson last year.  Daniels was a freak in terms of his build -- he was like a DT playing end.  Daniels emerged as a starter for part of his career - and that hasn't happened for Anderson, yet.

As long as he doesn't fail at scooping up a loose football on the goaline like PD then I'm happy... Amirite? Can't get that bad memory out of my head. I don't even remember who we were playing.

9 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

As long as he doesn't fail at scooping up a loose football on the goaline like PD then I'm happy... Amirite? Can't get that bad memory out of my head. I don't even remember who we were playing.

Was that week 3 Vs giants in 07? I remember a play like that happening in that game 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

All of those stats are skewed by Tom/Bill. 

When you kick ass all of the time with one of the greatest if not greatest QB and ditto for coach your stats will match up.

Jay Gruden unplugged: Redskins coach exclusively talks Trent Williams, depth chart, camp standouts

https://theathletic.com/1119876/2019/08/06/jay-gruden-unplugged-redskins-coach-exclusively-talks-trent-williams-depth-chart-camp-standouts/

The first unofficial depth chart provided by the Washington Redskins is trash.

“Yeah it’s early, and I was forced to make it,” Jay Gruden admitted to a room of reporters Monday. “It’s names on a piece of paper and an order that means nothing at this point.” With that negative endorsement, I won’t bother wasting time analyzing the order of those names. Instead, after 10 days worth of practices, I created my own Redskins depth chart — with Gruden’s help.

Hold that thought.

The Athletic touched on several topics with Washington’s head coach during an exclusive interview following Monday’s practice. Gruden did not reveal every lineup secret. His statements provide plenty of insight into several vital position battles — and Gruden’s role with Trent Williams’ holdout.

Quarterback: Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Dwayne Haskins

This is the one unit where some bias creeps in. One league source believes McCoy, the option fluent in Gruden’s offensive system since both arrived in 2014, is the clear leader and has been for weeks. If true, that’s unfortunate.

Not that Keenum is miles better (he’s not), but the ex-Viking showed in recent years the ability to help lead a team to a special season. McCoy’s time on the field in Washington confirmed the ability to provide instant offense in relief or fill in short-term for an injured starter. Those are great qualities for the primary backup — which is how Washington should view McCoy.

Running back: Derrius Guice, Adrian Peterson, Chris Thompson, Samaje Perine, Byron Marshall, Justin Wilson, Craig Reynolds

Guice, Peterson and Thompson will dominate the workload when healthy, but only one provides playmaker ability on every down. Lining up a back with zero NFL regular-season snaps in the backfield behind a rookie quarterback demands Maalox. If we’re removing Haskins from the starter’s competition — editorial comment — Guice’s inexperience matters much less. That means we can focus on the playmaking more. The preseason work will show us how much of that speed and power combo Guice offers one year after his season-ending knee injury.

Wide receiver: 

X: Terry McLaurin, Kelvin Harmon, Josh Doctson, Jehu Chesson

Z: Paul Richardson, Cam Sims, Robert Davis, Brian Quick

Slot: Trey Quinn, Steven Sims, Darvin Kidsy, T.J. Rahming

Gruden loves what he’s seen from McLaurin. Loves.

“I think the addition of Terry has been a wow factor for me personally and I think everybody who has seen him run on a daily basis,” Gruden said.

Washington selected the former Ohio State player in part because of the offense’s need for speed. Listening to Gruden gush, it’s clear the coach thinks McLaurin could be the team’s top gun sooner than later.

“He’s powerful, he’s smart, and he’s physical. That’s a combination that’s rare,” Gruden said before breaking into amazed laughter. “ He’s been exciting.” It’s worth noting this McLaurin joy came in response to a question about Doctson and Richardson’s starting status.

“I think both of those guys are doing fine,” Gruden said before immediately shifting his focus toward McLaurin and others.

“Obviously, Rob Davis coming off his injury, Cam Sims coming off his injury have shown flashes of being pretty darn good as well. Then you add Harmon into the mix, a big physical receiver. Steven Sims and T.J. (Rahming) in the slot have done a nice job. Brian Quick shows some veteran experience as well. Kidsy also doing a good job in the slot.” For the moment, Quinn is the only definite starter, though Richardson should be in the clear. The Athletic’s latest 53-man roster projection put Doctson on the outside. Sims, Harmon, and Davis keep making plays in camp. Chesson could sneak on as a seventh WR if Washington views McLaurin as a starter and therefore uses him less on special teams.

Tight end: Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle, Matt Flanagan, Donald Parham, J.P. Holtz

If I select an MVP to date of training camp, congrats to Jordan Reed and his speed game. There’s always the fear of injury with this particular tight end, but the former Pro Bowl selection looks poised for such consideration based on this form. We’ll see in a few weeks if there’s any real momentum for keeping a fourth tight end, which seems more plausible than last year because of the need for blocking help. If so, Flanagan has the edge over “Tree” Parham and Holtz.

Offensive line:

C Chase Roullier, Tony Bergstrom, Ross Pierschbacher

G: Wes Martin, Brandon Scherff, Ereck Flowers, Zach Kerin

T: Donald Penn, Morgan Moses, Geron Christian, Corey Robinson, Timon Paris

Defensive line: Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Matt Ioannidis, Tim Settle, Caleb Brantley, JoJo Wicker, Austin Maloata, Ryan Bee, Jonathan Bonner

The team’s strength is only gaining oomph with Settle’s stepped up play in camp. He crushed his matchups at times Monday in what was no an isolated performance.

Brantley’s Lisfranc foot injury, deemed mild by Gruden over the weekend, looms large from a depth chart perspective. Should Brantley miss ample playing time, Washington would need to find a fifth and perhaps sixth defensive lineman.

Linebackers:

Outside: Ryan Kerrigan, Montez Sweat, Ryan Anderson, Jordan Brailford, Cassanova McKinzy, Marcus Smith, Garrett Sickels, Andrew Ankrah

Inside: Jon Bostic, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Cole Holcomb, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Marquis Flowers, B.J. Blunt

Cornerbacks:

Outside: Josh Norman, Quinton Dunbar, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Greg Stroman, Adonis Alexander, Danny Johnson, Deion Harris, D.J. White

Slot: Fabian Moreau, Jimmy Moreland

Alexander’s quad injury further puts the second-year corner further behind and is expected to keep him off the field for approximately the next two weeks. He joins Danny Johnson (PUP/knee) on the sideline while Rodgers-Cromartie provides energy and longshots Harris and White flash in spots. Assuming Stroman’s groin injury does not linger, it becomes a challenge for the hulking Alexander to earn one of the projected six CB jobs.

Safety:

Free: Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, Jeremy Reaves

Strong: Landon Collins, Deshazor Everett, JoJo McIntosh

As I wrapped up the interview with Gruden, I asked him to identify players that stood out most in camp while I acknowledged he surely loves them all to various degrees. He responded with McLaurin — and Collins, Washington’s top free-agent addition this year.

The reasons with the veteran defender involve tone as much as performance. Those high-priced newcomers can alter a team’s precious ecosystem with diva behavior like limiting his practice work or not connecting with others. Not Collins. “He’s been awesome,” Gruden said. That the former Alabama standout is more focused on football business than show business connects with what some view as the most organized, professional training camp under Gruden.

9 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If Keenum can't make it out of camp as the starter; then we probably should trade him for a player or draft picks.

This absolutely makes no sense to me. Did you not see the QB carousal last year? I am just going to...  :kickcan:

14 minutes ago, zskins said:

This absolutely makes no sense to me. Did you not see the QB carousal last year? I am just going to...  :kickcan:

You can always sign another QB.  If he's so bad he can't win the starting job here, then he doesn't have much value here.  Might as well go through the growing pains with Haskins now.  Keenum can be traded, based on what he did in Minnesota, for either a player we may need or draft picks.  As for another QB; you can bring someone else in. 

If we have another 2018 situation, then it really won't matter. The team will be cleaning house in 2020.  

I fully expect either Mccoy or Keenum will be starting the season and once we start out 1-4; the switch will be made to Haskins. 

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You can always sign another QB.  If he's so bad he can't win the starting job here, then he doesn't have much value here.  Might as well go through the growing pains with Haskins now.  Keenum can be traded, based on what he did in Minnesota, for either a player we may need or draft picks.  As for another QB; you can bring someone else in. 

If we have another 2018 situation, then it really won't matter. The team will be cleaning house in 2020.  

I fully expect either Mccoy or Keenum will be starting the season and once we start out 1-4; the switch will be made to Haskins. 

Colt is starting since you can't take a job away from someone who got hurt last year and is now back. It is Colt's job to lose. There is no indication that Keenum will not be the starter or DH for that matter. 

32 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Cuz signing out of work QBs worked out so well for us last time. 

Our 3rd QB last year was Mark Sanchez.  I'll take Case Keenum over Mark Sanchez any day of the week.  

The team should've never gone into the season with only two active QBs on the roster. That was about as brain-dead a move as one could imagine, particularly given the history/concerns about injuries and the reliance on backups along the OL. Having to resort to Sanchez was embarrassing from a team planning standpoint, or at least it should've been.

Wide receiver: 

X: Terry McLaurin, Kelvin Harmon, Josh Doctson, Jehu Chesson

Z: Paul Richardson, Cam Sims, Robert Davis, Brian Quick

Slot: Trey Quinn, Steven Sims, Darvin Kidsy, T.J. Rahming

Are Doctson and/or Harmon a lock to make the team?  If you assume Mclaurin, Richardson, and Quinn are locks for being active on gameday, who are 4 and 5?  And 5 might be inactive depending on what's going on in a given week.

Feels like if Sims maintains his level through the preseason, he may have played his way on the team. He might not last on the PS for long.

I already have 2019 pegged as a lost year because I fully expect Gruden to be fired either during the season or after the season.

So, my preference is to let Haskins play from day one.   See, what he has and let him go through his growing pains.

Assuming he's on the roster in 2020; he will be better for it.   Why do I say assuming?   We will have a new head coach in 2020

and it's possible, he will have a high draft pick.   Who's to say that new coach likes someone in next years draft and decides to

go after him instead and then trade Haskins.  

You are dreaming if you think the Redskins are doing jack this year.  At best, we go 7-9 for the third straight year.  More than likely 5-11 or 

6-10 is on tap for 2019.

Then 2020 baby and our savior head coach- well in my dreams anyway.  In reality it will be to the next 4-5 year era. One or maybe 2 playoff births

and then it all falls apart the coach gets fired.  Then's it's to a new era in 2024 or 2025.  Rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I already have 2019 pegged as a lost year because I fully expect Gruden to be fired either during the season or after the season.

So, my preference is to let Haskins play from day one.   See, what he has and let him go through his growing pains.

Assuming he's on the roster in 2020; he will be better for it.   Why do I say assuming?   We will have a new head coach in 2020

and it's possible, he will have a high draft pick.   Who's to say that new coach likes someone in next years draft and decides to

go after him instead and then trade Haskins.  

You are dreaming if you think the Redskins are doing jack this year.  At best, we go 7-9 for the third straight year.  More than likely 5-11 or 

6-10 is on tap for 2019.

Then 2020 baby and our savior head coach- well in my dreams anyway.  In reality it will be to the next 4-5 year era. One or maybe 2 playoff births

and then it all falls apart the coach gets fired.  Then's it's to a new era in 2024 or 2025.  Rinse and repeat.

I will bookmark this post, and repost it frequently if the Redskins exceed your expectations this year.  I, myself, have not counted them out this year.

You can always sign another QB.  If he's so bad he can't win the starting job here, then he doesn't have much value here.  Might as well go through the growing pains with Haskins now.  Keenum can be traded, based on what he did in Minnesota, for either a player we may need or draft picks.  .  

I'm skeptical about his value.  The Broncos received the value of moving from a 7th round pick to a 6th round pick two years into the future for what Keenum did in Minnesota.  I don't think loosing a QB battle to Colt McCoy is going to significantly increase his value.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not good for our Edge depth.

McKinzey is looking good and Anderson is adequate.  I'm not sure we'd be keeping 5 OLB and they're ahead of Brailford I think.  I see him on the PS, or if he can go directly to IR at the end of camp then maybe he ends up there

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Cuz signing out of work QBs worked out so well for us last time. 

Our 3rd QB last year was Mark Sanchez.  I'll take Case Keenum over Mark Sanchez any day of the week.  

The only way I see them keeping only two QB's is if it's Keenum and Haskins. No way you can go with Colt McCoy as one of only two QB's on your roster with that injury history. I think after last year's disaster we're almost certainly keeping all three.

56 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So this is first time on field with a press pass.  Alex smith in a seat 10 feet behind me sitting with crutches in hand and what looks like an air cast.  

Would it be bad press conduct to ask for a picture or autograph?

No please do and mail it to me and ask him to look me up next time he's in town visiting his wifes family..

Sounds like to me you might as well just stop following and posting on ES then. You will be able to get lots of honey-do-lists done on Sundays now. 

Archived