Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES Debating Style Guide - Updated

I wrote this like 7 years ago, maybe?...After all the Scot M/Kirk C/DJ Swear/Doug W/ Reuben F debates over the last few years, I thought it was appropriate now as well. Feel free to add to the list lol...

With so many threads and posts dedicated to debating free agency, the draft, the QB position and too many other things to mention, I thought it would be a good idea to help my fellow ES members in their quest to carve out an Extremeskins debating style. So in that vein, here is a list of common ES debating styles to consider the next time you find yourself discussing RG3  Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Shanahan Bruce Allen, or Daniel Snyder Daniel Snyder:

The Statistician

Characteristics: Believes everything can be proven or disproven using stats; has numerous NFL stat websites bookmarked and at the ready; will use stats to prove that Snyder probably hates asparagus; posts tend to be about as interesting as reading computer binary code.

Commonly used phrase: “Numbers don’t lie.”

Tips to remember: Leave out any stats that start to disprove your point; claim that the numbers need to be broken down to an infinitesimal level in order to “really” understand what they’re saying; have several calculators nearby; quit your job.

The Ultra-Perceptive

Characteristics: Believes their personal perceptions are far more valid than anyone else’s and definitely more valid than any stats; claims to know what’s going on inside the minds of coaches just by looking at their facial expressions; sees everyone who disagrees as either “homers” or “haters”.

Commonly used phrase: "Doesn't pass the eye test" and “Just watch the games!”

Tips to remember: Keep repeating your perceptions as carved-in-stone fact even when others have disproved your statements; claim that “90%” of GMs/coaches/scouts agree with you; stock up on blinders.

The Overly-Sensitive

Characteristics: Can’t understand why anyone would voice their disagreement with one of their posts; takes debates personally; treats threads like their own personal diary entries; inability to grow thick skin.

Commonly used phrase: “Let’s just agree to disagree”

Tips to remember: Become highly insulted when anyone tells you they think you’re wrong; Constantly PM board members to ask “What’s your problem?”; use “Ignore” feature a lot.

The Mini-Mod

Characteristics: 87% of their posts concern the correct formatting of thread titles; breaks out in a cold sweat when a thread is created in the wrong forum; agrees with site moderators on everything; posts in the Feedback and Tech Support forum as much as in the Stadium.

Commonly used phrase: “Why is this a thread?”

Tips to remember: Everyone loves to be corrected over and over again by an anonymous stranger with no authority whatsoever; chicks dig guys with knowledge of the TOS rules; have delusions of grandeur.

The Dissector

Characteristics: Can debate other board members into a coma; responds to each sentence individually in a post; has problems limiting thoughts to less than 5,000 word essays; thinks no aspect of someone’s post is too small to argue.

Commonly used phrase: “I’ll respond when I have more time…” and "To make a long story short..."

Tips to remember: Convince yourself that your words have elegance and importance; view anal-retentiveness as sexy; enjoy listening to yourself talk.

The Schizophrenic

Characteristics: Rarely stays on the same point in a debate; changes viewpoint on a dime to avoid being proven wrong; makes incredibly illogical connections between facts and reaches baffling conclusions as a result; can never remember who is and who isn’t a moderator.

Commonly used phrase: “That’s not what I said…”

Tips to remember: practice spinning your viewpoints so that your words can take on several different meanings; apply conspiracy theories to other people’s motives; have short-term memory loss.

The Insulter

Characteristics: spends more time forming insults than forming intelligent retorts; feels condescension is an adequate rebuttal for any argument; is the reason profanity filter was installed; gets banned a lot.

Commonly used phrase: “*******!!” and "*****!!"

Tips to remember: Use the anonymity of the internet to make yourself seem tougher than you really are; believe that a well-thought-out, intelligent post can be rendered invalid by a really cool put down; create multiple accounts to deal with the inevitable bans.

The Armchair GM - via @corrupt3d

Characteristics: Believes their knowledge of the inner-workings of professional football teams to be over the average posters. Understands every facet of building a team and uses said knowledge to argue with other posters, showing them that they know nothing about judging talent, the draft, or building a team.

Commonly used phrases:Colt Brennan Colt McCoy is a winner”, "Anthony Mix Robert Davis solves our receiver issues", "If we cut Jason Campbell Mason Foster he's out of the league and won't get a starting spot, let along a backup job, anywhere."

Tips to remember: Building a winner in Madden 2012 2019, or in your head, transfers directly to building a team in the NFL. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever.

The Lurker

Characteristics: Has posted two times in the last 7 years; mostly sticks to the Bubba9497 & HapHaszard's Redskins Breaking News forum; can’t remember their password.

Commonly used phrase: “What’s my password again?”

Tips to remember: Don’t log in.

I hope this helps you in forming your ES debating style 👍

Why is this a thread?

19 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The Armchair GM - via @corrupt3d

Commonly used phrases: "If we cut Jason Campbell Mason Foster he's out of the league and won't get a starting spot, let along a backup job, anywhere."

Okay, yeah, but he sucks and I don't like him. Watch the ****ing film because the numbers don't ****ing lie, if you still like him after seeing his stats on screen passes from third and 8.5 yards, you're a homer.

20 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Why is this a thread?

Okay, yeah, but he sucks and I don't like him. Watch the ****ing film because the numbers don't ****ing lie, if you still like him after seeing his stats on screen passes from third and 8.5 yards, you're a homer.

Not even homers can see good in Mason Foster.  I think if there’s a common opinion amongst all of us, it’s Mason Foster blows.  Made even more glaringly obvious when there’s nothing beside him.

First thought:

giphy.gif

Second Thought: After we debate correctly have we then earned our victory gin?

Serious Thought: The same type of people whom 'debate' outside of the rules will never read rules. I'd add, for each wack-job that goes off and gets banned there are quite a few legit posters who add to the conversation and help expand it. I completely understand being a mod is not easy and that this is a Washington Redskins owned message board, but if anyone becomes fearful for giving their opinion isn't this whole thing pointless? 

34 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

We don't get good "Hi There"'s like we used to.... 

@TK might be getting soft these days as he grows wiser 😂😂😂

::::ducks and runs out quickly:::::

Attention, you pay it not Hmmmm.....

On 6/27/2019 at 4:04 PM, Califan007 said:

It's called

The Califan...

Characteristics: Is unphased by insults; sticks to the point; is pretty much always right.

Commonly used phrase: “lol”

Tips to remember: Never be wrong. 😎

Gee, you forgot "humility" 😁

On 6/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

What's the term for the guy with the "heavy lol usage" ?

Ummm... it is called the Joker. Just look at his avatar! lol

The Joker...lol

Characteristics: Just look up the definition of the joker already.. lol

Commonly used phrase: “lol” regardless of if it isn't even funny... lol

Tips to remember: Never be wrong. You will be dealt with in The Joker style if you think I am wrong. Batman doesn't even stands a chance against me. ... lol 

On 6/27/2019 at 7:42 PM, Califan007 said:

The Lurker

Characteristics: Has posted two times in the last 7 years; mostly sticks to the Bubba9497 & HapHaszard's Redskins Breaking News forum; can’t remember their password.

Hey it's perfectly fine if they stick to BHRBN!!!

On 7/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, bakedtater1 said:

I guess I put my self(unfortunately)in the insulter category..on a count of how many accounts I've had to start...after being around for 15 years no sence in giving up now. 

I need to come up with some debating styles named after ES members, I think lol...all in good fun of course, no insulting descriptions (well, not intentionally anyway lol)...

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We need a name for this one, which I see once a while...

Someone who responds to posts without quoting them, yet the posts are so old, that other people have posted since then, so you have no idea who the person is responding to.

The "Out Of Contexter", maybe?...

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Califan007

i think we one for what just about everybody turns into in the game day threads.  Sort of a combo of  schizophrenic, multi-personality, exasperated, emotional and at times inconsolable.

So, basically your average 15 year old girl... (with no offense intended to 15 year old girls...)

I was looking for "The Despairing" on the list thinking of exactly that scenario.  Redskins lose and suddenly everything is just the worst.  There's also the select few that crack, losing their composure entirely, requiring a temporary (or not) muzzling. 

edit: 

The Despairing

Characteristics: A recent Redskins loss has robbed their world of all laughter and joy.  Sadness has taken root inside them and begins growing rapidly until it feels like venting is the only thing that will keep them from detonating like some sort of emotional grenade.  

Commonly used phrase: “This trash organization will never win" and "Fire the QB/Coach/Everyone!" 

Tips to remember:  Get a hold of yourself.  Breathe.  Have a drink.  Maybe, throw one of those decorative pillows that seem to show up on their own, and then multiply.  You should be used to losing by now, so there's really no excuse for falling apart at this stage.

Archived