Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you pay to go to Training Camp

Burgold

Would you attend training camp if you had to pay for it?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend training camp if you had to pay for it?

I just heard that the Eagles are practically closing training camp down to fans. They are only having one session open and that one fans have to pay to attend. The Redskins, conversely, will have thirteen free sessions open to fans... for now. The question of this thread is simple: Would you pay to go to training camp?

I wouldn't. They would have to offer me incredible access or bells and whistles to make it worth my time. I've been to training camp twice (once as a fan and another time as a reporter for NPR) and both times were quite fun, but they were also really hot and crowded in such a way that your sight lines weren't always great. Moreover, about a third to half of the time was wasted watching the athletes stretch or stand around doing nothing.

So, to me it is not a "pay for" experience. Is it for you? If not, what would they need to offer to make it worth your while?

@Burgold please make this a poll.

No, I would not.  The field at Richmond is always muddy and smells like ass plus its hot as hell every year.  I love seeing my team in person, gone to a couple already including first one, it is not like this franchise is hurting for money they just don't know what to do with it.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

but they were also really hot and crowded in such a way that your sight lines weren't always great. Moreover, about a third to half of the time was wasted watching the athletes stretch or stand around doing nothing.

So, to me it is not a "pay for" experience. Is it for you? If not, what would they need to offer to make it worth your while?

Burgold, I agree.  Although I would love for my grandkids to have a good experience at camp, the 3-4 people deep at the sidelines is another downer, so I won't be back.

Make it Worth Paying For:

I did enjoy when they had scrimmages against the Patriots, but not enough to pay to attend.

A signed items guaranteed with every ticket? Getting better.

Free water.

Shade.

Pictures with the cheerleaders.

NFL experience activities for the kids.

All those might do it

I guess it also matters, what the cost is.

:229:The Rook

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Burgold please make this a poll.

No, I would not.  The field at Richmond is always muddy and smells like ass plus its hot as hell every year.  I love seeing my team in person, gone to a couple already including first one, it is not like this franchise is hurting for money they just don't know what to do with it.

Is there a way to make this a poll post facto?

God no. That would be some seriously misguided positive reinforcement of poor performance and behavior. 

I hate that I pay to see one game per season with my buddy as a tradition. At least we alternate stadiums so it's only every other year that Snyder is getting my money. 

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

I just heard that the Eagles are practically closing training camp down to fans. They are only having one session open and that one fans have to pay to attend. The Redskins, conversely, will have thirteen free sessions open to fans... for now. The question of this thread is simple: Would you pay to go to training camp?

We have better fans than the Eagles.  And our team hasn’t been that great.  It should be free.  If i were close and had the time, yea I think I might pay.  But i would like to know where the money goes.  I don’t believe Dan needs more spending money.

I would think not. If it was truly an “experience”, certain guaranteed things (VIP privileges) maybe.

I think with a franchise that continues to let the fan base down you best not consider a move like this until you win a Super Bowl first...

It costs a dollar to park at Kettler to watch the Capitals Development camp, which is happening right now if you are looking for something to do this week/end.  Totally worth it, and world class air conditioning to boot for the rather persperitian ESers. The spiral car ramp is worth the dollar too.

Skins camp? Requisite...

I live in Delaware now and would not go because the team lacks decent receivers to watch and slow linebackers based on last year.

If they paid me to go to camp I would take a day off work and go.   Snyder has a yacht and was in Southern France last week so he wins

as long as fans keep pumping money into his bank accounts.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

That make me a bit sad. I never went to many games, but you were a mainstay at the ES Tailgate. Them losing you is pretty telling.

I’m pretty much signed out till Snyder is gone. ONLY thing I miss is the people at those tailgates. Good times. 

3 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If camp is free opposing scouts can't attend. If you charge, they can. That's the way it was about a decade ago when we charged for training camp and was the primary reason given for ending the experiment. Not sure if that rule is still in place.

That sounds just ****ed up enough to be true. Of course it would also be the only time ever that Snyder passed up easy money in favor of a competitive advantage. 

8 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If camp is free opposing scouts can't attend. If you charge, they can. That's the way it was about a decade ago when we charged for training camp and was the primary reason given for ending the experiment. Not sure if that rule is still in place.

That's true.

I think it was the year 2000 when Snyder charged people to attend traing camp? Not sure about the year though.

There were reports of scouts from other teams watching. Something that can't be done when training camp is free.

Depends on how much and if the players were willing to greet the fans after practise. One year I took my boys to a Falcons camp. It was free but the players kept their distance. My sons were bored(they were young at the time). The only interesting part was watching them run through drills(the players, not my sons).

Archived