Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Some Keith guy on twitter said tonight “you didn’t hear it from me but trents going to be inking up soon”. Most of the 10 comments are “when’s he getting this new tat?” 😂😂 

im not trusting this random guy, just thought I’d share in case anyone else also saw this guy’s tweet. 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, Unbias said:

Not sure I agree. When it comes to positional cap spending for the QB position we are #5 in the league! Here's how the top 10 look like: 

Patriots = $31,149,028 

Lions = $30,880,000

Vikings = $30,880,000

Colts = $30,615,000

Redskins = $30,391,202

Packers = $28,484,189

Steelers = $28,371,114

Chargers = $27,709,655

Saints = $27,090,000
Seahawks = $26,931,766

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we are the only team that doesn't have their 'franchise' QB. Even if Smith was healthy he'd be the worst QB among those teams. 

Why are we allocating more cap space towards band-aids at the most expensive position in pro football? 

If Keenum gets on the field and balls out I'm obviously wrong. If he holds a clip board or gets in and flops then he's not he's probably not worth the space. 

Not sure how anyone can still see the Keenum trade as a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Bruce and Dan bashing as well as anyone - but when they deserve it. Swapping a 6th and 7th rd draft pick and paying Keenum $3.5M may have been one of the best moves by this team in a while. At the time there were no QBs on the roster that you could suit up outside bringing someone like Josh Johnson back (yikes!). 

Even if Alex has a miraculous recovery there is no way he starts the season And while they are talking a big game with Colt's recovery he is still even at this point not certain for the start of the season. And when they did this they had no idea they would land Haskins. The fact that they did not trade up for Haskins means they were perfectly willing to miss him. Any other QB would have been even more of a developmental QB than Haskins. 

They got an experienced starting QB for almost nothing as an insurance policy. I know it's sexy to value 6th and 7th rd draft picks as if they are gold but the fact is for every one player that pans out, there are 1000s that do not. 

The Redskins could be #1 on the list above - let's make it $50M CAP space devoted - and it's still a great move. Not sure there is a logical path to we have X devoted to a specific position that will not contribute, so we will make it worse by not devoting anyone more resources because......? Nothing good comes after because. 

There are plenty of things to get after this FO for, but trading for Case is not one of them. This was a job well done even if Case never sees the field or does and bombs. It was a chance you had to take and was the least cost way to try and protect our team from having no experienced QB to turn to. Well I guess we could have brought back Mr. Butt Fumble. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure how anyone can still see the Keenum trade as a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Bruce and Dan bashing as well as anyone - but when they deserve it. Swapping a 6th and 7th rd draft pick and paying Keenum $3.5M may have been one of the best moves by this team in a while. At the time there were no QBs on the roster that you could suit up outside bringing someone like Josh Johnson back (yikes!). 

I agree with this.  IMO they blew both the QB position and WR position royally in recent years.  We once (not that long ago) had one of the most prolific passing offenses in the league.  Now its punchline status bad.  I recall like yesterday Bruce's smirk in an interview about them letting Garcon and D. Jax go with a quip of yeah but we got Quick and Pryor for even less money and they had similar production.  To me its an underrated forgotten gem in the series of Brucisms. 😎

Having said that, Keenum IMO was a good move.  I don't think much of him as a QB.  But to get a QB that cheap isn't easy to do.  Keenum to me is just a guy.  But in today's league at QB you got to really pay a premium for any starting caliber QB including the just a guy types.  The FO has dug this hole on offense.  But I'll give them some leeway that maybe they can dig themselves out at QB with their recent moves and WR.  I am not confident that they pulled that off.  But I am not confident they failed either.  I got no idea.  But I am willing to see the movie.  

I suspect the receivers are going to be better than most expect.  I also suspect the O line will be a bigger problem than most expect.  And I hate to quote Casserly because he's a dude i don't always agree with but he had a good line before last year saying the Redskins are limited because some of their bigger stars are injury prone players.  I've come around to that point in a big way especially on offense:  Trent, Thompson, Reed are the key guys IMO.  Maybe Guice emerges and that script changes.  Ironically I love both Guice and Love but both of them are coming off of major injuries so who knows.  I noticed now its entered sort of mainstream conventional talk even nationally about the Redskins which is can they stay healthy. 

Sorry for the tangent but to me this point is pertinent to Trent who is about to turn 31 this month.   He's not as injury prone as Thompson and Reed.  But he's up there.  I just wonder how far any offense can go if arguably their three top players are health question marks from the jump of every season.  And losing Trent for the token 4 games or so is the toughest loss from among that group considering how many teams have a really good LT on the bench?  We were lucky that we had Ty who might have been the best backup LT in the league.  But now we got Flowers who is a national punch line -- where someone who watched him in training camp said he might be the worst training camp player they've ever seen.  And Geron Christian who came off of a rough rookie year and is coming off of an injury. 

19 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@hatchetwound no news doesn’t mean ****. It’s entirely possible the front office is fixing this issue during the time between mini camps and training camp, and not letting anything go public. I’m with the guy above ^, at this point you’re speculating. 

I hope so.  But all we got is "I know what the true story is" not "We are working dilligantly with Trent".  That didn't sound promising to me.

The fact that nothing of real substance has come out (from Trent or anyone else) during this whole thing makes me think he is going to show up. Csn't ever recall a contract holdout/trade request being made without a clear reason or several, so the ball then goes in the teams court to decide what to do.

Was listening to Finlay and Russell.  They said they heard the main thing with Trent is money.  Finlay thinks Trent ends up reporting though regardless.  They talked about the Scherff contract ultimately might be an issue -- they had their own thoughts about it and citing Sheehan hearing that the first offer to him was insultingly low and might have set a bad tone. 

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Even if Alex has a miraculous recovery there is no way he starts the season And while they are talking a big game with Colt's recovery he is still even at this point not certain for the start of the season. And when they did this they had no idea they would land Haskins. The fact that they did not trade up for Haskins means they were perfectly willing to miss him. Any other QB would have been even more of a developmental QB than Haskins. 

They got an experienced starting QB for almost nothing as an insurance policy. I know it's sexy to value 6th and 7th rd draft picks as if they are gold but the fact is for every one player that pans out, there are 1000s that do not. 

The Redskins could be #1 on the list above - let's make it $50M CAP space devoted - and it's still a great move. Not sure there is a logical path to we have X devoted to a specific position that will not contribute, so we will make it worse by not devoting anyone more resources because......? Nothing good comes after because. 

There are plenty of things to get after this FO for, but trading for Case is not one of them. This was a job well done even if Case never sees the field or does and bombs. It was a chance you had to take and was the least cost way to try and protect our team from having no experienced QB to turn to. Well I guess we could have brought back Mr. Butt Fumble. 

Keenum is a 31 year old career back up that had one good year. The team he had that one good year loved him so much that they decided to spend big dollars on someone else the following seasons. After that 'good year' another team gave him starter money, then benched him, then traded him for next to nothing. I know we are only 2 years removed from that 'good year', but it's fair to say that he's no Ryan Fitzpatrick... Yuck. 

To me that type of player is very replaceable. In terms of how this will help the team I see him in the same way I look at McCoy or Johnson (last year). They are journeymen QBs who are fine holding a clip board. One may be slightly better than another, but overall they are rarely thought of as a 'need'. Adding in that we have limited cap space and it's just an area that's not a priority. 

Does this move the needle on what this team will do in 2019? I don't think so. Does it take away from future resources like cap space? Yes it does. 

I'll rephrase what I said earlier, is this the type of move Bruce is burning the midnight oil on? These moves seem to have minimal upside, but somewhat distract from other questions like: 

- That Smith contract was and still is horrible. Who gave that out? 

- Why did Cousins leave again? Who in the building carries blame for how that went down? 

I look at this move similar to the Cravens trade. Some are applauding Allen for that deal, but I'm left wondering why we aren't talking about a 2nd round bust that never suited up a single game? He's done a great job at covering up his own errors with meaningless moves. 

You can spin that Keenum is a decent backup and we didn't give up too much. That's a cute story to tell, but in all honesty for this season we'll give Haskins as many reps as he can take to keep developing. If Keenum/Colt/FA are in there that suggests we are just trying to get through the season. If we are running with Keenum/Colt/FA I'd prefer they make those moves preserving as much cap space as possible for future contracts. 

Well this took a turn. 🤣

What I'm saying is that just because you don't hear from someone doesn't mean something bad happened.  That's a personal relationship.

If you have a fan relationship and haven't heard anything, then it means absolutely nothing.  Even if the last thing you heard was clickbait and speculation a news story, we as fans aren't gonna get any info.  

The good thing is, though, that we're not getting any info.  That means that they're keeping it in house and not leaking everything.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

they had their own thoughts about it and citing Sheehan hearing that the first offer to him was insultingly low and might have set a bad tone. 

Not surprised, I've been worried about this for the last couple of months, did they mention the amount of the offer?

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

At the time it was awful because it indicated that we were, indeed, still delusional about our chance of competing this year. Now that we have DH, I like it. I always want a Keenum for 3 million, a rookie, or a Peyton... nothing else; it’s got to be cheap or transcendent but we’ve been farting around with expensive Matt Moore adumbrates for years. 

13 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

What I'm saying is that just because you don't hear from someone doesn't mean something bad happened.  

That’s comforting. I haven’t heard from my wife since she downloaded tinder, but you have put my mind at ease. Thank you.

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Agreed. We even got the Broncos to pay the other 3.5m of his gtd money due in 2019, plus a 500k restructure bonus. 

5 hours ago, Unbias said:

Keenum is a 31 year old career back up that had one good year. The team he had that one good year loved him so much that they decided to spend big dollars on someone else the following seasons. After that 'good year' another team gave him starter money, then benched him, then traded him for next to nothing. I know we are only 2 years removed from that 'good year', but it's fair to say that he's no Ryan Fitzpatrick... Yuck. 

If he was a pure backup then yes it's too much money. But at the time we literally had NO healthy QB on the roster. And, for him to be a veteran placeholder for Haskins so we're in no rush to ruin him, 3.5 mil is a steal. 

Why did Cousins leave again? Who in the building carries blame for how that went down? 

Ask Minny fans if they're thrilled with Kirk's production compared to what he's making. IMO you get more value out of Keenum's production at basically 15% of the cost. 

I look at this move similar to the Cravens trade. Some are applauding Allen for that deal, but I'm left wondering why we aren't talking about a 2nd round bust that never suited up a single game? He's done a great job at covering up his own errors with meaningless moves. 

I'm confused about who you're talking about because Cravens played 11 games and had a sack and a very key INT against Eli Manning to seal the win. He was a bust, but at least get the facts right. 

@JSSkinz

They didn't mention the figure that was offered to Scherff.  I do recall Cooley once talking about Bruce's style from his own experience where he said he found Bruce's style is to come really low with his first offer, ridiculously low and Cooley said you just got to shrug it off and not feel insulted by it and understand that's just his style.

I heard a bunch about Bruce's negotiation style in the context of another negotiation.  And that played into the same thought.  I gather it might be one of the reasons why agents voted him the least trustworthy GM in the league and if I recall the third least prepared.  It seems like we've gone from one extreme in negotiation style to another.  Vinny-Dan seemed to bid against themselves and overpay.   Bruce on the other hand has the reputation of being cheap and certainly not a dude that comes in high with his first bid.  And yeah there are exceptions both with Vinny and Bruce.  But I think by and large it sums up both well. 

I recall reading an article on MMQ about the perspective of an agent negotiation for a player poised to hit FA the next year.  He gives the behind the scenes run down of a negotiation without saying who the player was and what teams were in mind.  The rundown of that transaction didn't give me the vibe it was the Redskins.   In that case, the agent got a low ball offer from the player's current team.  The agent said at that point he got enough feelers from other teams who strongly hinted they'd pay market price for this player if he hits FA.  So he essentially blew off the player's team after the low ball offer and decided not to counter.  He decided to hit the open market and figured if the player's current team wanted his guy bad enough they'd come up with a much higher offer but he was going to let that team do it on their own and come to him versus negotiate from the low offer.  In the end that player did hit FA and got big pay from another team. 

Cooley's point is if you really want to be with the team then shrug off Bruce's first offer and push your agent to counter offer.  I actually agree with that point.  But speaking about this team specifically how many players would we guess think its Redskins or bust or for that matter any team or bust?  Unless you are NE or some team where you'd be nuts to want to be anywhere else -- I'd presume they'd have no problem hitting FA for a bigger payday.   If you are a premium player like Scherff the floor is market value and the ceiling is becoming the top paid guard in the league.   So in his agent's shoes, I wouldn't counter the Redskins offer if Sheehan was right and it was a low ball offer. 

As for Trent, I'd be with Bruce if he wants to play hardball on the contract.  I am all for players getting what they can on the open market.  But if they signed an actual contract, I think they should keep to their word and play on it.  Trent has made a ton of money.  He's already been the top paid player at his position.   As for him not always being the top paid player at his position -- heck well that's what happens when you sign a 6 year contract.   As for Scherff.  The dude is young.  Hopefully Scherff's agent negotiates or Bruce budges -- if what Sheehan said is correct.  I think there is a shot he is at least somewhat correct considering Finlay who is arguably the most friendly among the beat guys to this FO -- also suggested he's concerned. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@JSSkinz

As for Trent, I'd be with Bruce if he wants to play hardball on the contract.  I am all for players getting what they can on the open market.  But if they signed an actual contract, I think they should keep to their word and play on it.  Trent has made a ton of money.  He's already been the top paid player at his position.   As for him not always being the top paid player at his position -- heck well that's what happens when you sign a 6 year contract.   As for Scherff.  The dude is young.  Hopefully Scherff's agent negotiates or Bruce budges -- if what Sheehan said is correct.  I think there is a shot he is at least somewhat correct considering Finlay who is arguably the most friendly among the beat guys to this FO -- also suggested he's concerned. 

I don't like them playing around with Scherff.  What more can you ask of a player than for them to be young and good.  That's it, that's all you want.  He hasn't even reached his prime yet right?  They should pay him.

Archived