Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

5 minutes ago, carex said:

the people who expect us to win 4-6 games are clueless.  We won seven last year, we did not step back

What are your expectations? 4 might be low, but I don't think 6 is unreasonable at all. We won 7 games last year and 3 of those (Carolina, Dallas, and Jacksonville) were so narrow that we were pretty close to being a 5-6 win team as it was. 

But, even if you believe we can match last year's 7...so what? With Trent done, a bridge QB, and a team that isn't going to contend for anything more than a .500 record, my point remains the same - now is the time to play the young guys who you believe might start for you some day. I'd rather Martin take his lump blocking for Case Keenum in September of 2019 than blocking for Haskins in 2020. 

13 hours ago, carex said:

two plays.  The rest of the half he was fine

Four plays- 3 whifs (one with a hold that nullified the TD) and an additional holding that called back a good run early in the game.  (Those were the obvious ones - there may have been plays that he didn't do well on that just didn't get the same attention).

14 hours ago, volsmet said:

We had a decent run in the first, right through his lane, and he could have easily been called for a hold on it. Hopefully there are some positIves in there, it seems he’s won the job at lg. 

Well there was one decent run early to the left that was called back for holding by him.

24 minutes ago, carex said:

the people who expect us to win 4-6 games are clueless.  We won seven last year, we did not step back

Hmmm the best player on the team is not with the team and probably won't ever be and you don't think this was a step back?

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But, even if you believe we can match last year's 7...so what? With Trent done, a bridge QB, and a team that isn't going to contend for anything more than a .500 record, my point remains the same - now is the time to play the young guys who you believe might start for you some day. I'd rather Martin take his lump blocking for Case Keenum in September of 2019 than blocking for Haskins in 2020. 

You're talking reality to the wrong guy there, TD.

How many times have we played the "we won X games last year and we got better" game in years past?  Only to not match or win more than the year prior?  It's a year to year league, and last year we were very fortunate to even get to 6-3.  I see an improved defense and a worse offense.  And since this is a Trent Williams thread, we can make this about him.  I realize he's getting up there and has missed some games, but the dude makes a difference.  A big one, particularly on a shaky line to begin with.

i agree with you 100% that this should be a season about seeing if guys have it or not, and I include Martin in there.  Unfortunately, for Jay - he must win and for Bruce - he should have to win, to remain employed.  So I don't think we'll get what we want to see.

21 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What are your expectations? 4 might be low, but I don't think 6 is unreasonable at all. We won 7 games last year and 3 of those (Carolina, Dallas, and Jacksonville) were so narrow that we were pretty close to being a 5-6 win team as it was. 

Lets be real, we won 7 games last year finishing the season off with our 4th QB and 18th offensive guards. There were games I had no idea who was playing OL for us lol, and yet we were still competing. There were also a couple of games, Houston and Tennessee off the top of my head, that were very narrow losses. 

The defense is going to be really good I think. Like Top 8 good. As troubling as the offense has looked in pre season, since that first drive against Cleveland in game 1, the defense has been just about as stout as you can be. They have demonstrated the ability to stuff runs, cover, put themselves in position to create turnovers. I think Nicholson has looked fantastic. We are pretty deep at corner. Collins is going to be awesome. And our Front 7 will just be overwhelming, and the front 3 is going to make the jobs of everyone behind them so much easier. Sweat/Kerrigan/Anderson/McKinzy is a damn good rotation at pass rusher as well. 

Now to the offense. Definitely a work in progress and that’s putting it mildly. But there have been some encouraging signs that our run game is going to be more than OK, and still think we have yet to see close to the best from a Gruden coordinated pass game. The left side of the OL is obvious a huge ? and really does have the ability to derail our offensive capabilities. Though I think and hope once Penn and Martin find their way into the starting lineup it will be serviceable. We’ll see.

The team is starting to remind me a bit of those Seattle teams from a few years back. Good intimidating defense, strong run game, questionable weapons and pass protection.  The difference? We don’t have a Russel, who even when his stat line wasn’t pretty could make some throws in situations that others just can’t. So sadly we won’t be them.

But overall, I see similar to last year. 6-7 wins is the floor, meaning as many injuries as last year pile up, OL is a sieve, defense not as good as expected. I think 10 is the ceiling, meaning the opposite happen. I’m going to settle on 9. I think defense and running game along with a ball control offense with Guice and Peterson will be enough for 9. And if we’re able to Recoup a 1 for Trent, next year we’ll be going in with Haskins as the QB with a year of growth, 2 ones in a crazy strong draft, and the buzz around here will be quite a bit different. I think 2020 is when things start getting exciting and 2021-2023 is the window. 

40 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not expecting us to finish 12-4 but the only games I'm really writing off are New England, both Philly and one Dallas.  Anyone else we have a chance

23 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Hmmm the best player on the team is not with the team and probably won't ever be and you don't think this was a step back?

I looked up are record without him the past three years, turns out we're .500

I wonder if there is thinking in the front office that they should go ahead and let the season start with Trent on the roster, and see how the team does without him.  If somehow they surprise and say are .500 about at the 8 week mark, maybe it would help coax Trent back into the fold to give them a big boost.

Can't help but think this team being mediocre the majority of his years here is helping motivate him to want to turn the page and start new somewhere else.  Trent doesn't have many elite seasons left, once that athleticism goes, the decline will be fast, perhaps something he isn't sharing is his awareness of this and wanting to go to a winning team before he isn't of use to those kinds of teams. 

22 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd take a 1st from New England, that's a good gamble. I don't care how great Tom Brady is, he's very old for an NFL QB and there will be an inevitable decline. Unfortunately nobody in that division is even close to being ready to dethrone them, so at best the pick is probably in the early 20s. Which is still way better than I imagined we would get for Trent. 

Even if the pats win the super bowl and it ends up being the 32nd pick, I think that is the best offer we will see for Trent.  Hope I'm wrong and skins get a better offer, but I think Bruce should've pounced if he was offered that. 

Since the rumor of the pats offering the 1st is out there, the skins will probably use that as a starting point since they won't want to look bad by accepting less, but we won't get offered more than that, which makes it more likely Trent just rots on his couch til his value is nil.  

I just ordered my bumper sticker WWKSHD - what would Kyle Smith have done?

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I wonder if there is thinking in the front office that they should go ahead and let the season start with Trent on the roster, and see how the team does without him.  If somehow they surprise and say are .500 about at the 8 week mark, maybe it would help coax Trent back into the fold to give them a big boost.

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching guice run vs the falcons.  Maybe the strategy is to not say or do anything for now, maybe wait until the skins have a good showing in the regular season, then go to Trent and say "hey, we've got some good young talent and are doing well as is, but if we get you back, we could make a run for the division this year". Maybe by that time Trent will realize that both the skins aren't going to trade him, and that the team is in better shape than he thought.  At that point, making 10 mil and having a last chance to win something might be motivating enough to move past his beef, instead of never playing football again and losing the opportunity to make tens of millions of more dollars.  I just don't have faith the Redskins won't bungle this all up.

And my 2 cents, even if the skins get off to a promising start and Trent is willing to come back, I still hope they trade him if they can get a 1st and or multiple day 2 picks.  Turn the page, build for the future.

24 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Can't help but think this team being mediocre the majority of his years here is helping motivate him to want to turn the page and start new somewhere else.  Trent doesn't have many elite seasons left, once that athleticism goes, the decline will be fast, perhaps something he isn't sharing is his awareness of this and wanting to go to a winning team before he isn't of use to those kinds of teams. 

I think at this point Trent doesn’t give a **** how we are doing and in fact he’d probably be even more pissed off if we’re succeeding without him. He obviously has issues with the FO so I can’t imagine he’s rooting for them to be successful at this point.

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

With the Panthers getting a scare over Newton's injury could they be added to the list of potential trade partners for Williams? Seeing lots of articles/complaints about his protection as an ongoing problem floating around.

They just drafted Little in I believe the 2nd so I don’t think they’re interested.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He'd take a job and promotion with the Rams.

It hurts to even envision.  Imagine if that happened and Bruce remained on board.  ES would explode.

And it's not a stretch to see that scenario play out within the next 12 months.

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think at this point Trent doesn’t give a **** how we are doing and in fact he’d probably be even more pissed off if we’re succeeding without him. He obviously has issues with the FO so I can’t imagine he’s rooting for them to be successful at this point.

They just drafted Little in I believe the 2nd so I don’t think they’re interested.

I don't think that would preclude them from going after TW.  if I were hurney, and in that situation with a 30 year old mobile franchise QB, with the offense predicated on the ground game, and some aging players on that def line keuchly, McCoy, short, etc, I'd throw out an offer of a 2nd round pick, maybe even a 1st.  If he is convinced they can make a run at a title, which would make the pick back end of the round, it might be worth a shot.   TW at LT, move either Williams or little to guard for the time being, that could really improve your team overnight, plus give you the peace of mind that your franchise QB is better protected.  You never know what is going thru a GMs head.

4 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Wes Martin is coming for that job unless Flowers really cleans up the situational issues. Like you said, 90% of the time is great but that 10% is an issue.

Doesn't help that Jay is obsessed with that bunched formation bull**** that defenses are really good at stopping unless you have an elite OL.

Spread → It → Out

Dead on. There was one play we ran in a short yardage situation where we were heavy on the left, two TEs on the line if I remember correctly and we sent Cam Sims in motion to the left and then he motioned back to essentially the position of the FB. Who the **** doesn't know that we're about to run it to the left!? Not only was it telegraphed, but when we have six guys bunched and they have six on their side, it just becomes a rugby scrum at the LoS and we really like to lose those. 

I apologize for the worst description ever of a football formation.

3 hours ago, carex said:

the people who expect us to win 4-6 games are clueless.  

There has got to be a nicer way to say that. Maybe clue-deficient.

I’m amending my prediction, I expect us to win 6.3 games. 

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This is the year we either go like 11-5 or the bottom completely falls out.

My current fear is that the team is going to have a losing record most of the season but never so lopsided that Gruden pulls the trigger on Haskins.  Something like 3-5, then 4-6.....the math is always going to justify "staying the course" but the reality is the team is going nowhere. 

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How many times have we played the "we won X games last year and we got better" game in years past?  Only to not match or win more than the year prior?  It's a year to year league, and last year we were very fortunate to even get to 6-3.  I see an improved defense and a worse offense.  And since this is a Trent Williams thread, we can make this about him.  I realize he's getting up there and has missed some games, but the dude makes a difference.  A big one, particularly on a shaky line to begin with.

i agree with you 100% that this should be a season about seeing if guys have it or not, and I include Martin in there.  Unfortunately, for Jay - he must win and for Bruce - he should have to win, to remain employed.  So I don't think we'll get what we want to see.

What I want to see is wins and a winning culture again. If that happens with Donald Penn and Eric Flowers starting over rookies who are raw I'm down with that. I get what you're saying though but I'd wait til playoffs are out of reach to throw the kids in there. Don't underestimate how far our defense can take us. 

24 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

My current fear is that the team is going to have a losing record most of the season but never so lopsided that Gruden pulls the trigger on Haskins.  Something like 3-5, then 4-6.....the math is always going to justify "staying the course" but the reality is the team is going nowhere. 

Depends on how far out we are. If Philly or Dallas is 7-3 or so then it would be best to look ahead to next year.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

really?  Cause I've been saying we're around .500 for years and we're a game off, half a game off while others keep predicting us as around a 4-12 team at best and who's been right?

6 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Wes Martin is coming for that job unless Flowers really cleans up the situational issues. Like you said, 90% of the time is great but that 10% is an issue.

Doesn't help that Jay is obsessed with that bunched formation bull**** that defenses are really good at stopping unless you have an elite OL.

Spread → It → Out

You're asking Norval Gruden to make adjustments to his game, because he's had such an amazing track record of adjusting. That's so cute... 😆

Archived