Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

11 hours ago, Ghedrick said:

I am glad to formally hear from a creditable source Trent's value is atleast a first. Adam Schefter is the most reliable source in the game. This puts to rest the nonsense that his value was a 4th rounder some on this board thought. 

Players on the Redskins are notoriously underappreciated by the league and the media...until they are no longer on the Redskins.  If Ryan Kerrigan were on the Cowboys he would be first team all pro every year.  Watch, as soon as Trent is gone, he will go from the (incorrectly perceived) third best tackle in his own division, to (correctly) the best tackle in the league

We're a 6 win team. We just won't have the QB play. Further, the rest of the offense is essentially gaining experience (RB, WR, OL) with multiple key players in those positions in their 1st or 2nd year in NFL.

A 1st round pick at this point is a no brainer if we could get it, EVEN IF TRENT WANTED TO BE HERE!!!

Bruce should seal the deal in the next 2 weeks. 

2 first round picks in next years draft (with ours likely in top 10) would really start to chart a course

I just listened to Breer, but only could catch parts of it because I was in the car and others were talking over it. 

His take:

He said he's absolutely sure that its not just the money with Trent, he's explored legal options, he knows its not just the cancer scare but that was just the last straw.  He seemed to get into the trade part of this but people in my car talked over that part so I'll see if I can find that feed.  What struck me the most about Breer is he seemed pretty confident in what he was saying -- a lot of others covering this story use language to hedge.  The part that I could hear from Breer he wasn't hedging. 

Hard No to the "Clowney for TW" rumor... The only acceptable trade for TW would be a respectable draft pick package or a young talent on a rookie deal (I don't know who would make such a trade, so I find that to be much more improbable than a draft pick). Clowney is a 1-year rental who offers no benefit to the future other then the 2021 3rd round compensatory pick and a bit of cap rollover. We already have plenty invested in our D-front, it is our only real strength, this is not the position we need to target in a trade.

Schefter believes TW is worth a 1st, which we would all agree that a healthy TW with no team gripes would easily fetch... but that is not at all the situation that we find ourselves in.

I seriously doubt anyone's dumb enough to give up a 1st rounder for TW.  A second rounder is really pushing it. He isn't all of a sudden going to start playing 16 games.  If Bruce were smart ( which he w/out question isn't)  he'd let everyone know he's open for business. All he has to do let teams know no one is un- tradeable,  If Joe Montana was traded then TW can be traded. If the right offer came he'd consider it. Playing hardball at this point is stupid. You have a always broken down LT who's in his 30's that wants out and you're saying that he's not going to being traded?  I don't get that. 

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If 2-3 years is your timeline then i am not arguing that.   Trent has had multiple surgeries.  The last time he started a full season was 2013.  

Right.  I think he still has 2-3 years left of playing at a high level, when healthy.  That doesn't necessarily mean playing a full season, only that he still dominates when on the field, even when he's not 100%.   That can change at the blink of an eye depending on if he suffers a major injury and what type of injury it is, granted that can happen to any player.

I want to trade him, now though.  The relationship with the team, medical staff, etc. is broken and I don't think it's something that can be fixed with a contract renegotiation or extension.  At this point, if I'm Bruce, I'm not trusting him to not pull some **** next year, or the next after getting more money.  Guys acting like a child.  If someone is willing to trade for him and it's a good haul then pull the trigger.

If it's not, let him loose all that money while he holds out.  I'm not against letting him holdout the next two seasons either, just don't give in to his demands.  I'm wondering what else there is to his story.  

I read an article the other day (ESPN's website) saying that sources in the Redskins say that the issue went on multiple years and they had scheduled appointments over the years and TW skipped them.  

So it sounds like whatever NE offered is now off the table. I have theorized potential offers will be rescinded and its foolish for Bruce to not listen NOW.  Teams are moving on and resolving LT in other ways, and saving their picks.

It's probably lucky for us that Bellichek rescinded because I don't trust Bruce enough to know the difference in a pick from a team competing for the bowl or for a top 3 pick. 

I am now thinking he won't be traded until the spring.

2 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I want to trade him, now though.  The relationship with the team, medical staff, etc. is broken and I don't think it's something that can be fixed with a contract renegotiation or extension.  At this point, if I'm Bruce, I'm not trusting him to not pull some **** next year, or the next after getting more money.  Guys acting like a child.  If someone is willing to trade for him and it's a good haul then pull the trigger.

If it's not, let him loose all that money while he holds out.  I'm not against letting him holdout the next two seasons either, just don't give in to his demands.  I'm wondering what else there is to his story.  

I read an article the other day (ESPN's website) saying that sources in the Redskins say that the issue went on multiple years and they had scheduled appointments over the years and TW skipped them.  

I want to trade him.  I don't want a stand off.  As for the Trent versus medical staff stuff, I can't really take either side, yet.  The Redskins side obviously will make their case.  Trent's side will make theirs.  tough for me to take either at face value.   Breer said his issue with the medical staff isn't purely centered on this incident but a series of things.  He's not the only one who says that.  It's possible that Trent was wrong at every turn?  Maybe the medical staff was wrong?  Something in between?

I don't really care though at this point aside from does this effect the trade aspect of this situation -- I am just bottom lining the situation of lets trade hm and help the rebuild.

Sheehan made a good point on the medical grievance, if it were valid and he had data to back up his claim he could then voice his concerns but the fact he hasn't makes me think its more emotional and not something that he can prove.

Bottom line if he says he received poor or inadequate treatment to the media he has to prove it or he exposes himself to litigation.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Sheehan made a good point on the medical grievance, if it were valid and he had data to back up his claim he could then voice his concerns but the fact he hasn't makes me think its more emotional and not something that he can prove.

Bottom line if he says he received poor or inadequate treatment to the media he has to prove it or he exposes himself to litigation.

Breer is saying what some of us have been saying all along...

There is much more to it than the cancer scare, which served as the last straw.

It never made any sense for a guy who has stuck with this team through his entire career, serving as a leader, to just up and decide he’s pissed to the extent he appears to be over any one situation.  Just like a marriage, it’s rarely any one event that leads to divorce.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It never made any sense for a guy who has stuck with this team through his entire career, serving as a leader, to just up and decide he’s pissed to the extent he appears to be over any one situation.  Just like a marriage, it’s rarely any one event that leads to divorce.

That's the narrative that multiple reporters have shared which it's just not one thing.  I want to trade Trent but it has nothing to do with what I think of the situation or him as a person.  We've heard to death that he's the leader in the locker room, the guy that many look up to.  It's hard for me to believe he either fooled everyone or he has turned into some clown overnight. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can buy that but players don't keep quiet these days, if they have a problem they call out whoever it is that is creating the problem.

I think it's odd he's being so quiet, the only reason to be quiet is that he either doesnt want to burn that final piece of the bridge with the Redskins in case they extend him or he's worried about being held accountable for saying something that's anecdotal.

Why else would he say nothing if he's been wronged, he should feel like he needs to expose the situation to protect his teammates, right?

The other upside of trading him is getting out of the contract which I presume happens because of the lack of guaranteed money?  If they can get out of it, it would change the dynamic below.  It's pathetic that we arguably have one of the weaker offenses in the league yet it's the most expensive offense in the league. 

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

I

Why else would he say nothing if he's been wronged, he should feel like he needs to expose the situation to protect his teammates, right?

Finlay said that's Trent's personality.  He also said Trent's agent is an odd duck on this front because he doesn't like to talk normally.  Finlay said Trent is cooperative after a game if you are looking for an interview otherwise he's a quiet dude who doesn't like to talk especially in the off season.

As soon as Trent talks, I'd presume it adds to the firestorm.  In his shoes, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to court the drama to the degree where he is speaking about it -- if he wants out, then get traded and move on. 

Or maybe it is contract centered and even on that front the players don't typically negotiate it out on the open with some exceptions. 

36 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Probably because he's being advised not to say anything.  Plus Breer doesn't say it's necessarily all medical related.  It could be a lot of things, it's a Bruce Allen led FO after all.  

I love Trent to death and he’s one of my favorite Redskins and will continue to be one of my favorite Redskins long after he leaves here and long after his career is over. But come on, unless there’s legitimate malpractice (something I seriously seriously doubt considering there has been no grievance filed) this is a lame move. Joe Thomas played his entire career with the Cleveland Browns. He had seasons where the team didn’t win a single game and many others where they finished top 5. I’m sure that was frustrating as hell too. When you’re the leader of the team, you’re counted on to lead through adversity, not disappear and never show again unless you get more guaranteed money. You signed a contract, a very handsome one at the time of signing and there’s two years left. It’s super lame IMO. Love the guy but calling a spade a spade here. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One league source said they'd get at least first.  Another a 2nd and 3rd-4th range. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/redskinswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/adam-schefter-trade-compensation-redskins-trent-williams/amp/

"ESPN’s Adam Schefter, for example, sees the Redskins getting back a first-round pick and change for their star left tackle."

I respect schefter, and I can't believe the skins would get a first rounder, let alone a first rounder and change.  If that's the case, cash out!!!  I have a feeling this might be BA saying, "oh yeah, you want to make demands and trash our staff, we are going to make sure you dont see the field for anyone, and the last few years you could earn a decent contract will disappear".  Even though getting a nice haul like that would be such a help for the Redskins long term.

i agree with those saying to at least listen to trade offers, in an effort to create a bidding war, and get maximum value for him.  Now!  There will be players getting cut and traded soon, and as time goes on, some of those potential trading partners will find other ways to upgrade LT at a much cheaper price.  It won't be for someone as talented as TW, but considering the less assets it would take some teams may choose that as a better alternative.  He needs to be traded now before those opportunities present themselves.  Hanging onto an aging, disgruntled, oft-injured, expensive, one hit of weed away from a long suspension player so he can help us achieve a 7-9 record is completely foolish, especially when we can get some nice draft capital out of it.  Come on Redskins, just once look competent in a situation like this.

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Who’s value was higher when at odds with the organization:

Kirk Cousins 

or 

Trent Williams

**Just for a little spirited debate on this off day of sorts. 

Trent is the better player at his position, Kirk's value was higher.  Although left tackle is probably right behind QB as far as scarcity.

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Kirk Cousins 

or 

Trent Williams

Cousins value was higher.

Cousins plays the most important position, was younger, in his prime, more durable, no suspensions on the horizon.  He isn't an elite QB, but he was above average in many ways, and those do not come available often (remember, we are gauging his value when he was still a Redskin, and before his less than stellar first year in Minny). 

Williams has been one of the best LT in the league for years, but his prime is mostly behind him, he is on the wrong side of 30, oft injured, and has gotten zinged for weed and his next suspension is for a full year I believe. 

Williams is better at his position than Kirk, but considering all factors, I'd say cousins had more value at the time, without a doubt. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As soon as Trent talks, I'd presume it adds to the firestorm. 

I guess my thing is why would he care about that firestorm if he was mistreated?  Wouldnt coming out with his story of mistreatment put a nail in the coffin and pretty much force the team to trade him?

3 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True but not LT. I've read to death in the S Florida papers that they are rebuilding.  So the combination of the two points make me wonder.  Also I've read enough how much they are excited about their first rounder that I think there is zero chance they will offer it.  It doesn't seem lost on them that it could end up a top 3 pick.  they do have two 2nd rounders. I'd bet the ceiling in a deal with them is one of those two 2nd rounders and change. 

If we were smart - which we are not - we would start the asking price in round 1 of the 2021 draft. It’s been shared that we have been asking for enough to make teams not want to listen at all.

Every gm, scout, & cheerleader has been looking to the 2020 draft class for a bit, it’s the most loaded class any sport has ever seen ... the value of next year’s picks is inflated right now, we should get a lottery ticket or two in the Trevor Lawrence class... perhaps get one from Miami, they aren’t giving us their #1 in 2020, but they’d obviously love to have Tunsil/Trent protecting Rosen/Tua or Herbert. Let them. Patience is the most exploitable currency in the league - let everyone enjoy the studs they’ll land in 2020 & plan around taking advantage of the 2021 draft. 

Trent for a solid player & a 2021 first is certainly a fair asking price. If we pick early in 2020, trade down for an additional 2021 first +, and we head to the Lawrence draft with 3 #1 picks ... who knows who ends up with pick 1, but if it’s us, & we love DH, we could get any collection of football playing humans we want. 

2020 is overvalued today, 2021 is undervalued. Always pursue undervalued commodities. Jmho.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Loved Danny Skipper & Wynn both as HS recruits & college prospects. Dan committed to the mighty Vols before a change on the OL staff took him on to Ark. That’s one imposing human.

24 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Kirk Cousins 

or 

Trent Williams

Still difficult to believe we didn’t ship off Kirk. 

39 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Kirk Cousins 

or 

Trent Williams

Williams not even close and i loved Kirk and still think we made a mistake despite his shortcomings in Minnesota..... Although i wonder if Williams is considered old ? He's been in the league awhile now so....

Listen a premiere , Pro-bowl left Tackle in my opinion is a guaranteed Home Run. Unlike the QB position  i can't think of a single premiere LT who was traded and flaked out for his new team. QB's on the other hand are notorious for being 50/50 when they arrive at their new destination

Just look at how the Shroeder - Jim Lachey trade went back in the day 

Last time we came out winners in a trade that for dam sure

Left tackle is the cornerstone of your franchise

Related image

Archived