Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Herbert can run and throw. He is good mechanically but needs to work on reads and decisions. He has everything you want in an NFL QB physically and mentally. But he struggles a little reading defenses and trying to make things happen a little too much. He doesn’t throw the ball as often as you’d like at the top of his drop due to it.

He needs to improve that. But he’s a guy who can develop with some extra coaching and prep.

130:1 to be wr1

NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
DENZEL MIMSWR, COLLEGE PLAYER
14890.jpg

One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn he believes Baylor WR Denzel Mims is "better than CeeDeel Lamb and maybe better than Jerry Jeudy."

"He can really go up and make acrobatic plays on the ball.  He showed at the Senior Bowl he can beat press coverage and get open at the top of routes," the scout continued.  "He’s bigger, faster, longer.  You’ve got a chance to really hit on Mims."  Opinions were split on Mims among the 17 executives/scouts McGinn interviewed, as Mims was voted the second-most likely wideout to become a bust, behind only Colorado's Laviska Shenault.  “He’s an outside receiver.  He’s going to need a lot of work on how to run routes.  He has tight shoulders. Better high-ball catcher than low-ball catcher.  More of a 400-meter guy.  He’s got inconsistent hands. He’s going to need work on how to get off press.  He’s just got average body control," said a different scout.  "I got him in the second round.”  Mims flew up draft boards after a strong Senior Bowl and Combine.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 15, 2020, 12:05 PM ET
  •  
NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
JERRY JEUDYWR, COLLEGE PLAYER
14888.jpg

One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn that he believes Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy has "more of that superstar potential than anyone" else in this year's class of wide receivers.

“Just a phenomenal route runner. Explosive. Just makes things happen," the same scout continued.  In a poll of 17 NFL executives, Jeudy was just narrowly edged out by Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb as the draft's top receiver talent, but Jeudy did receive several first-place votes.  Jeudy posted an ugly score of 9 on the Wonderlic, but he "was good in the interview with us," a different scout said. “He really understands football.  He’s lived life in the ultimate football playground."  Jeudy is Rotoworld's Hayden Winks' No. 2 wideout and a slam-dunk first-round pick.

Apr 15, 2020, 11:47 AM ET
  • NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
    LAVISKA SHENAULTWR, COLLEGE PLAYER

In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Colorado WR Laviska Shenault was voted the likeliest wideout to be a draft bust.

Shenault received eight of the 17 votes, Baylor's Steven Mims got four, and Clemson's Tee Higgins received two to round out the top three in that poll.  Shenault underwent core-muscle surgery in late February after the Combine, and with the COVID-19 pandemic, teams haven't really been able to get their medical eyes on him.  “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.”  Another scout compared Shenault to Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of his future NFL role.  "Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” another scout said.  "He’s a power guy, and those guys play.”

Apr 15, 2020, 11:34 AM ET
    • NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
      CEEDEE LAMBWR, COLLEGE PLAYER
      58436.jpg

In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb edged out Alabama's Jerry Jeudy as the top wide receiver prospect in the 2020 draft class.

McGinn has been conducting this series for 36 years now.  He surely has ties to the inside.  Execs were asked to rank the wideouts on a 1-through-6 scale, with first-place votes getting six points, second-place getting five, and so forth.  Lamb accrued 87 points, and Jeudy came in at 86.  While none of those polled view any of the 2020 wideouts in the same light as Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, everyone considers it to be the deepest class in recent memory.  As for Lamb, scouts are comparing him to Chad Johnson and Anquan Boldin.  "You throw the ball up, he’s coming down with it," one scout said.  “Just a competitive and strong guy,” said another scout. “Almost a Boldin-type of receiver.  I don’t think he’s a superstar.  Lamb kind of maximizes what he has.”  Lamb (6'2/198) is our Hayden Winks' No. 1-ranked wideout.

Apr 15, 2020, 11:25 AM ET
      •  

I 've been calling him a boom-bust prospect for awhile.  Draft geeks had him early on almost unanimously as a first rounder.  I disagreed.   Now, I see him slipping to the 2nd-3rd in many mocks.  I wouldn't hate Shenault in the third where you can mitigate the boom-bust risk.   But no way I'd take him early.  I don't see what the big difference is with him then lets say versus Gibson.  To me Shenault is raw as a receiver and is a dude that you got to get the ball in his hands from the backfield or on short throws in the flat to maximize his strengths.  He could end up a star.  But conversely, I can see him being the next Cordelle Patterson as the scout mentioned about him (I used the same reference to Patterson weeks back) where he ends up basically a gadget type player and nothing special.

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW -

I am not in love with any of those players.  Having said that beggars can't be choosers when it comes to hoping a good tackle drops that far.

Peart has the right dimensions, long arms, looks the part.  I wished though I loved what I saw from the games I watched of him.  

For me of the dudes who can fall that far, I like Jack Driscoll, good feet, nimble, I wish he were stronger though in the run game and might be more of a guard in the NFL.  And maybe I'd take a chance on Saahdiq Charles who I think is a mile better than those tackles mentioned, just don't know about his character.  

I would do cartwheels if Diggs fell to our pick in the 3rd. I'm not worried about making this team great this year. If we need WR, OT and TE going into next year, and most of the team is shored up, that is super manageable. We could go from a top 10 pick in 2021 to a playoff team that same year. 

32 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I don’t think he’s a superstar.  Lamb kind of maximizes what he has.”  Lamb (6'2/198) is our Hayden Winks' No. 1-ranked wideout.

I found this comment interesting.

If the top rated guy in an almost historically deep WR class isn’t a superstar in the making, have we basically got a raft of excellent prospects, by and large with an extensive group of them quite closely ranked. Doesn’t that mean the smart move is potentially getting better value in say the second round, for these teams on the hunt for a wideout?

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Could be a run on TEs late third round. Ideally we can hold and wait until the 4th to add one.

Kmet is going to be gone in the 2nd. 

In terms of high bust potential WR's, I think Reagor is one also. Does anyone have a feel for how he gets off the jam? I don't know about his route running against NFL caliber CB's. 

It's interesting to see Tee Higgins with a higher max speed than Brandon Aiyuk. Aiyuk is more about maintaining high end acceleration throughout his route rather than top-end speed, but still. And for the people worried about Tyler Johnson's long speed, he topped out faster than Aiyuk. Depending on how accurate those are, these speed measurements are super helpful.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'd be okay with that as my number one preference is taking Chase Young. I'm also open to someone going Mike Ditka or Bruce Allen (RGIII) in our favor, but if the end result is that we get the consensus best player in the draft and a guy who could be a great pass rusher... I'm not going to complain.

I am also in the stay at 2 camp.  I just got annoyed at sports writers who just assume if they Redskins want an arm and leg for their pick, they snap their fingers and they got it.  There have been some instances of big haul offers over the years.  But is far from a given. And the buzz right now, granted it all could change is no one is beating at their door right now for their pick.   Stuff like that could change on draft day.  But if a team wants to trade up to #2 or #1 they can do it in advance no need to play it coy.  The Eagles traded up to #2 by this time in their juncture in 2016 and we traded weeks in advance of the draft in 2012

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Wr from Hopewell, he’s got round 1 potential, but some injuries & games he disappeared in... the life of an Edge these days... particularly when your team rarely has a lead. 

I was going through the edge class again to do the rankings, and this was pretty much how it was for everyone except Chase.  The class kind of breaks down into two types: worker bees with mediocre traits like Lynch, Weaver, Willekes, Anfernee Jennings, and Marlon Davidson who do a ton of winning off of motor and aggression and will to compete.  And the athletes with awesome traits who don't have it all put together and don't show up every game like Epenesa, Gross-Matos, Okwara, Chaisson, Uche, Taylor, and on the super raw side, Terrell Lewis and Nick Coe.

This is a pretty traitsy group of edge players with a lot of high upside raw clay.  I see what you meant about it back when we were arguing about the quality of the edge class vs the IOL class, and I concede that you were right.  I think there is going to be a big run on the position starting at the back of round one and lasting throughout the second and early third.  Some of the really good teams of the league, drafting late in the order, are going to have access to edge athletes they wouldn't necessarily get in other years.  Some teams are going to look like total idiots when some of these raw players inevitably don't pan out.  But some of the better teams with a strong record of player development are going to look like geniuses when they pick something like a Julian Okwara in the mid second round and turn him into an All Pro.

Archived