Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think there will be a season this year so it feels like we're all playing a form of fantasy football

I made a decent chunk of change playing dfs, now I’m trying to find Russian ping pong to handicap.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos are two teams which are "very high" on Baylor WR Denzel Mims.

"The Raiders are expected to take receivers early and often in the draft’s opening rounds," Pauline writes. "And while the consensus has Denver taking (Henry) Ruggs if he’s available, I’m told the team is just as high on Mims." The Eagles, Cowboys, Rams and Jets are among the teams which have checked in on Mims via FaceTime meetings and the like. While there is all kinds of buzz around Mims as a first-round selection, Pauline hears that if he gets past pick No. 26 (owned by the Dolphins) he could potentially end up sliding to early in the second round. Which would make for killer value.

Apr 15, 2020, 1:54 PM ET
  • An NFL scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn that it would be "foolish" to select a receiver in the teens on Day 1.

"You can get another wideout in the second or third, a Bryan Edwards, a Michael Pittman, a Lynn Bowden … it’s a real deep pool but it’s shallow at the top," the scout said, voicing the opinion that "[t]here’s nobody that’s super elite, height-weight-speed freakish (like) Julio, Calvin Johnson." While this particular scout would hold off on taking a receiver, Day 1 should see several wideouts off the board relatively early on. In his most recent mock draft, NFL.com's Bucky Brooks had four off the board in Round 1, including two -- CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy -- nipping at the top-10 (to the Jets at No. 11 and Raiders at No. 12, respectively).

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Apr 15, 2020, 1:11 PM ET

2 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

Madden simulated season, lol.

Just kidding. Here is a good article and you nailed it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/5132261002

A fine scenario for us.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Think there will be a season but it will be cut in 1/2 versus a full season.  Just a guess. :)

They should just have the 8 teams of the East, central, north & west each play one another twice. 

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think there will be a season this year so it feels like we're all playing a form of fantasy football

I find it harder to imagine a multi-billion dollar operation like the NFL not finding a way to play the games. Keeping the players in absolute quarantine with constant testing and distancing and playing in fewer, empty stadiums so there's less travel involved could happen. The owners will do anything for that big TV advertising money. 

Not saying no season is impossible--it might even end up the smart/correct choice.

I just don't see the NFL accepting that. They'll find a way or do everything possible to try. Some people (including some politicians) are already done taking this seriously, they think they did their part or never had to in the first place and are bucking the systems put in place. You think this lasts until the Fall? We've barely made it 4 weeks and people are acting stupid. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I find it harder to imagine a multi-billion dollar operation like the NFL not finding a way to play the games. Keeping the players in absolute quarantine with constant testing and distancing and playing in fewer, empty stadiums so there's less travel involved could happen. The owners will do anything for that big TV advertising money. 

Not saying no season is impossible--it might even end up the smart/correct choice.

I just don't see the NFL accepting that. They'll find a way or do everything possible to try. Some people (including some politicians) are already done taking this seriously, they think they did their part or never had to in the first place and are bucking the systems put in place. You think this lasts until the Fall? We've barely made it 4 weeks and people are acting stupid. 

I agree. But what happens in a scenario where they decide to play without fans (telling players they have to take a pay cut to make it work because of lost ticket revenue) or a shortened season and ONE player on ONE team gets sick. Now they have to shut everything down. Much like the NBA did.

One scenario that I could see happening is that the players. coaches, refs and employees get an emergency vaccine. An emergency vaccine they're saying might be available this fall for those doctors, nurses, etc. on the frontline. The NFL is certainly powerful enough.

1 minute ago, NYSkins21 said:

I agree. But what happens in a scenario where they decide to play without fans (telling players they have to take a pay cut to make it work because of lost ticket revenue) or a shortened season and ONE player on ONE team gets sick. Now they have to shut everything down. Much like the NBA did.

One scenario that I could see happening is that the players. coaches, refs and employees get an emergency vaccine. An emergency vaccine they're saying might be available this fall for those doctors, nurses, etc. on the frontline. The NFL is certainly powerful enough.

I don't know, I don't think this is the thread for getting into the science but I don't think there's going to be an exclusive but effective vaccine by September. Also using it in that way would enrage people and the NFL may be stupid, but I doubt even they are that stupid.

A long quarantine before being isolated all together, guaranteeing everyone is healthy before coming together, seems more likely. That combined with frequent testing, which should already be available for everyone but isn't (except for sports leagues so that's already taken care of).

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Hypothetical question: would you rather have the 2020 season get cancelled if it meant the skins get the #2 pick again in 2021, or have the season be played like normal and the skins go 8-8, miss the playoffs and pick in the middle of the pack.

Imagine if the skins get chase and some decent depth in midrounds this year, then get LT penei Sewell at #2 in 2021 and another starter at #34 overall.  That's a pretty solid group of young talent.  

I'd rather have the season.

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Re: Burrow - How would he show what they think under this particular situation?

A lot can be learned once a guy is in the building. He can’t show it on the field but you can have an idea of what he has.

4 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I'd rather have the season.

I'd rather have the season simply bc it would reflect that life is almost back to normal, but that aside, it's a close call for me.  I'd probably choose the season bc life is too short and enjoy it while you can, but with so many mediocre to terrible seasons lately, a couple drafts with top 2 picks would give us hope that we haven't had in a long time.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Only if it’s #1. There’s no guarantee there’s no season, there’s no guarantee Cincy is the worst team in the league if there is a season, and if there is no season there’s no guarantee there’s not a draft lottery.

And there would be no guarantee Lawrence will enter the draft.

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't know, I don't think this is the thread for getting into the science but I don't think there's going to be an exclusive but effective vaccine by September. Also using it in that way would enrage people and the NFL may be stupid, but I doubt even they are that stupid.

A long quarantine before being isolated all together, guaranteeing everyone is healthy before coming together, seems more likely. That combined with frequent testing, which should already be available for everyone but isn't (except for sports leagues so that's already taken care of).

I get its excessive and was half joking but I wouldnt be surprised with the power they hold. I agree, it wouldn't be a good look.

They are most definitely working and seem pretty confident they will have some sort of emergency vaccine for essential frontline workers in the fall.

Im not sure that the isolating until season start and testing preseason/pre game will work. What if say Lamar Jackson or Ryan Tannehill and Derrck Henry test positive in Week 2 or Week 3? Do you just chalk it up to injury and fold up the tents as a franchise?

43 minutes ago, volsmet said:

They should just have the 8 teams of the East, central, north & west each play one another twice. 

That makes sense.  Needless to say an interesting 2020 season starting with the draft awaits us.  

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That makes sense.  Needless to say an interesting 2020 season starting with the draft awaits us.  

Far less travel (for teams, staff, & fans), good regional rivalries, should make things simple & create/*maintain plenty of interest. 

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline hears that Wisconsin C Tyler Biadasz "has slipped into the late part of Day 2, and some teams feel he may drop into the fourth round."

"The reason (for his slipping)? I’m told Biadasz was red-flagged for previous knee and hip issues," Pauline writes of the 6-foot-2, 318-pounder. The analyst reported last winter that a hip injury was what ultimately caused Biadasz to return to school for the 2019 campaign. And apparently that hip remains problematic for some teams. Even despite these concerns, Pauline hits Biadasz up with a second-round grade and believes that  health permitting, he'll develop into a starter in the pros.

Apr 15, 2020, 5:28 PM ET
  •  

I wish Geron Christian was at least somewhat of a promising player at OT. It's very hard to tell what we're going to do in that round, I think OT and TE are our biggest needs. I'm counting out Trent here, but these are the positions where I feel we have the most replaceable players. OT is just a much more valuable position in my eyes, it's crucial to get that filled, TE isn't as desperate of a need and you can get by without having a good to great one. 

Who's everyone's favorite prospects OT that should be available in late round 2/early round 3?

Tua is falling for me. Not talent wise... but the more I listen to and hear from people the more I think he’s going to fall because of the hip. GMs put their careers on the line to draft a guy... and while Tua is special, his hip... if it winds up with necrosis... is a career killer.

Drafting him is a huge risk. Though, to be honest, it could very much wind up worth it. I strongly feel someone will get a steal if he falls. 

To be clear, I’m not down on Tua’s talent. He’s special. I’m down on his draft stock.

I’m up on Hurts. I think he may be QB4 off the board. 

Archived