Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Yeah again if Miami offers 18, 25, their 2nd and a 2nd in 2021 for #2 I am pulling the trigger on that

18 - Ruggs - WR

25 - Kristian Fulton CB

2nd (Miami) - Xavier McKinney S

Something like that seems way more efficient to improving our team. I have no problem leveraging a "Can't Miss" guy for multiple high impact players

That’s a horrible trade.

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

Let's try a different approach here, since the first rounder seems moderately set...

And don't answer with, "durr, that's not gonna happen because durr".

If Young decides to stay in school... What do we do at #2?

Trade back is a scenario. Or do we look at Okudah and Simmons and say, "now's our chance to pull the trigger on a guy that changes the D..." and take one of them?

I think I look for a close trade back, so they both don't get picked ahead of us and let the league sort out which we get while acquiring more picks. Though I'd have a real hard time passing on Simmons.

I've said for a while the Chargers could be a team to look to jump for a QB. They sit at #6. Panthers at #7 also have a Decision to make with Cam, although the did draft Grier last year and Allen looked solid...for a while.

Either way, not sure I would want to go back past further than that. Assume a couple of QBs were picked, another pass rush might drift into top five, OT, WR maybe, so I think that impact defender just and so lasts through the top seven.

6 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm with you on Simmons, I think he would be perfect for our defense.  I wouldn't even try to get too cute and trade back, I'd take him at 2 if young returns to osu.  Okudah is the other one I really like, and jeudy too but not as much.  Okudah is going top 5 no doubt, and I bet Simmons stock skyrockets after the combine. If we trade back a few slots, and okudah and Simmons come off the board, then we really, really screwed up a great opportunity to land a game changer.  And I'd rather have 1 game changer than 2 guys in lower tiers.

"And I'd rather have 1 game changer than 2 guys in lower tiers."

I agree with this 100%

Yeah. I agree. I’m not sure I see a scenario where we’re going to trade back. I was fairly in favor of a trade back (though still favored picking the BPA at our draft spot, but it was like a 52/48 split) before. The closer we get to the draft the more I lean towards not trading back and finding other ways to acquire draft capital (I’m probably 75/25 in favor of staying put and I think that’s going to keep rising). 

I don’t think you can pass on Young, Simmons, Okudah, Jeudy or maybe even Lamb. I think they’re difference makers in the sense they have to be game planned and paid attention to. Dropping and picking up guys fills holes, but the early rounds of the draft, aside from maybe LT and QB shouldn’t be about filling needs. 

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

In any case, with the high likelihood that Chase Young is going to declare and that the Bengals take a QB, discussing what we will be doing with the 2nd overall pick is getting less and less interesting. I love Okudah, Simmons and Jeudy. But we are taking Chase with that pick. If Chase Young and Montez Sweat pan out, a DL of Sweat, Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, and Young could be better than any line recently seen in the NFL. At least, against the pass. 

I'd need quite the bounty to trade down.  The dudes that get me excited (but less exited than Young) are the same players you mention but I'd add Lamb to it.  I think they are all going to be studs.

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't know whether it was Mcqueen or SIP that put me onto Najee Harris, but if he's there for us in the 3rd, I think he very well could be BPA. 

It was Mcqueen but I agree with him.  The dude is a bowling bowl.  There are other potential players though I might like in the third, too.   

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was Mcqueen but I agree with him.  The dude is a bowling bowl.  There are other potential players though I might like in the third, too.   

I'm not stuck on a particular guy in the 3rd, I'd be happy with BPA within reason. I mean, if we draft Chase Young, you have to think we aren't drafting DL, probably. Who else do you like in the 3rd? I think this isn't a good draft for TE or CB depth. there may be a WR that drops and is a great value there. 

Also, what is the board consensus on Tee Higgins as a player, and where does he project to be drafted?

11 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't know whether it was Mcqueen or SIP that put me onto Najee Harris, but if he's there for us in the 3rd, I think he very well could be BPA.

Me too.  I think he's a first round talent that is flying way under the radar.  Absolutely agree with you about him having wide receiver skills.  The hands and body control are unusual for such a tall running back.  Reminds me quite a bit of LeVeon Bell in that way.  Similar upright, flowing style with a comic-book like build.  He's got palpable physical superiority out there on a field full of SEC athletes.

People forget, but Najee was like the second best recruit in his class.  He's the most naturally gifted player on this Alabama team, more so even than freaks like Moses and Leatherwood and Jeudy and Surtain.  I think draftniks kind of got down on him when he didn't produce all that much his first two seasons, but just getting carries as a true freshman in that unbelievably deep Alabama backfield speaks to how good he is.  No other school has to juggle carries between five NFL running backs on its depth chart at once plus a running quarterback.  I think if he'd gone to a lesser program in the Pac-12 he'd have been one of the faces of CFB the past couple of seasons and be considered a first round lock.

I love the idea of adding him to a backfield with Guice and Love.  I don't think it will happen because I think we're going to ignore the RB position in the draft this year.  But Harris-Guice-Love is an obscene amount of running back talent.  Get the blockers in front of those guys and you will be getting high level carries all game every game.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love the idea of adding him to a backfield with Guice and Love.  I don't think it will happen because I think we're going to ignore the RB position in the draft this year.  But Harris-Guice-Love is an obscene amount of running back talent.  Get the blockers in front of those guys and you will be getting high level carries all game every game.

My only hope with all of this is that we have a new coach and are presumably going to have a new GM. They aren't going to have ties to the players signed and drafted by the old regime and they are going to take a hard look at everyone on the roster. We could have an incredible 1-2 punch in Guice and Love. But, we could also have nothing, based on injury history. It would be foolish not to have a backup plan there, but maybe the backup plan could be Peterson, or a later round guy. 

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm not stuck on a particular guy in the 3rd, I'd be happy with BPA within reason. I mean, if we draft Chase Young, you have to think we aren't drafting DL, probably. Who else do you like in the 3rd? I think this isn't a good draft for TE or CB depth. there may be a WR that drops and is a great value there. 

Also, what is the board consensus on Tee Higgins as a player, and where does he project to be drafted?

I'm hoping that the DB depth ends up being better than expected.  The third and fourth round has been a productive place to find developmental guys at that position.  There is a chance guys like Jaylon Johnson and AJ Terrell could be there at the beginning of the third, for example.  I wouldn't grade them ahead of Najee Harris, but the reach wouldn't be egregious.  I've seen big boards putting Leatherwood in that range too.  Mekhi Becton would at least be interesting.  Justin Jefferson too.  I think there will be some really good options there.

For Higgins, I think he's a first round pick.  I like him in the top 25.  The size is special and he doesn't really seem to have any weaknesses.  Super tall with a long stride that eats into cushion quick.  Huge hands.  Lanky and lacking strength right now--much like a young NBA player--when he gets his strength he's going to be overpowering.  His team is just going to have to be patient with his development.  I could see him becoming a star in the NFL.

We were robbed of two fascinating and epic Tee Higgins match ups.  That should have been Bryce Hall out there covering him in the ACC championship game, not that poor guy Grant.  And getting hurt in the Ohio State game robbed of us probably the premier WR-CB battle in this year's class.  I wanted to see if he could still run by Okudah and Hall and beat them for all those 50-50 chances.  Hopefully he's healthy again and gets a ton of man coverage from either Fulton or Stingley.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We were robbed of two fascinating and epic Tee Higgins match ups.  That should have been Bryce Hall out there covering him in the ACC championship game, not that poor guy Grant.  And getting hurt in the Ohio State game robbed of us probably the premier WR-CB battle in this year's class.  I wanted to see if he could still run by Okudah and Hall and beat them for all those 50-50 chances.  Hopefully he's healthy again and gets a ton of man coverage from either Fulton or Stingley.

Do you think Bryce Hall will fall very far due to the injury? He is a lock down CB with first round potential.

Saw this article and thought I'd watch one of them.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tuls--takes--senior-bowl-cb-sleepers

Saw two of Michael Ojemudia's games.  Michigan and Wisconsin.  I'm not seeing what that article says about Ojemudia.

He plays almost exclusively Off coverage.  He's almost always in Zone.  He wasn't really involved in run support, the few times I saw him come in for a tackle he looked average.  Maybe it's just a bad sample of two games, but there wasn't much he could've done either way.  A lot of inside runs when he's the outside corner.

The writer talks about his abilities in Press-Man, but that's gotta be in other tape than those two games.  As for Off coverage, I don't think he's got the feet/acceleration for rapid reaction and closing on stuff underneath.  There are times he does it well, but there are also times where someone runs a decent run against him and there's enough space that Ojemudia can't catch up to prevent a 1st down.

Thakarius Keyes is someone I want to follow for the Senior Bowl.

Variety of coverages.  Press Man, Press Zone, Off Zone.  Usually plays outside.  He gets beat on occasion, but sometimes that's the nature of Press.  He shows potential in all of the coverage types, I think he's got the athleticism and length for any of them.  He flashes talent at disrupting the ball at the catch point.  He can get aggressive coming downhill against the Run or against Screens.  He'll throw his body into a tackle attempt, which immediately puts him into the above average category as your average corner won't.

He feels like the type of guy we'll be hearing about at the Senior Bowl.  He's got swagger, and he wants to make plays.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yeah. I agree. I’m not sure I see a scenario where we’re going to trade back. I was fairly in favor of a trade back (though still favored picking the BPA at our draft spot, but it was like a 52/48 split) before. The closer we get to the draft the more I lean towards not trading back and finding other ways to acquire draft capital (I’m probably 75/25 in favor of staying put and I think that’s going to keep rising). 

I don’t think you can pass on Young, Simmons, Okudah, Jeudy or maybe even Lamb. I think they’re difference makers in the sense they have to be game planned and paid attention to. Dropping and picking up guys fills holes, but the early rounds of the draft, aside from maybe LT and QB shouldn’t be about filling needs. 

I dont think it happens but if we can move back and stay in the top 5 while still adding another 1st and a 2nd... we need to consider it.  If we could come away from this draft with Simmons, a first round LT and an early 2nd WR it could be big

On 12/31/2019 at 3:37 PM, PartyPosse said:

No. You mentioned those three teams having multiple all pros. I’m just wondering how many were on the defense. 

For the record. I’m merely playing devil’s advocate. I am fine with us drafting Chase. I can see the arguments for both sides though. Hindsight will always be 20/20 

The All-Pro teams were just announced. Here are the players on defense from the 3 teams you mentioned (Baltimore, KC, Saints):

First Team All-Pro:

- Demario Davis

- Marcus Peters

- Tyrann Mathieu 

- Marlon Humphrey

Second Team All-Pro:

- Cameron Jordan 

- Marcus Peters

- Tyrann Mathieu

No Redskins, except for Tress Way, who made 2nd Team All-Pro. 

I know a lot of people here love Ceedee Lamb.  He seemingly operates best against zone defenses, and should go to a team that's 1) WR Needy and 2) faces a lot of Zone defenses.  Arizona at #8 fits that.  Kyler Murray legs make it so you want more eyes on him than a normal QB, which means Zone.  8th pick could be Lamb's floor.

I think the only trade back I'm taking is with the lions or dolphins. The other teams need to have overwhelming trade offers to justify the move. 

The lions would be a preferred trade partner because you could essentially trade back again and still get a player of choice at your position. 

Going on the basis/assumption we take Young at #2 , leaving us with a wait until the top of the third then fourth...

Jordyn Brooks and Kyle Dugger, have any of you draft expects got an opinion on these two prospects and where they are slated to be drafted?

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feeling vindicated in my complaints about the Landon Collins contract and wish that we had signed Mathieu instead.

Yeah, I’ve always loved Mathieu’s versatility.  Of course I don’t know that Manusky would have known what to do with him... but still - don’t love Landon’s contract, especially not for a SS.  

You mentioned AJ Terrell - I think he’s going to be a really nice corner in the pros.  Sticky coverage and I love how aggressive he is vs the run and short passing game.  

Semi-related, but I really like Moreland’s potential.  He plays the run and screens well (a little like Fuller did for us), and we haven’t even seen his ballhawking skills yet.  Breeland and Fuller both had a big jump in year two, so I’m hoping we see the same with Moreland.  

Archived