Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Wes Martin OL Indiana

PCS

12 hours ago, PlayAction said:

"Wes Martin is limited athletically and fits a power-scheme".  If that's a correct assessment of his abilities and best fit, how does that affect what the Skins can, or should do, with their OL blocking?  From Shanahan to now the Skins have often favored athletic linemen over power blockers.  The Skins OL, when healthy, does everything but not everything well.  Will they have to reduce their reliance on wide zone run schemes?  How will Martin affect the screen game?   

Here’s a decent article on Zone vs. Power blocking schemes. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/05/21/differences-between-the-zone-and-power-running-schemes/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.44a3db47812c

On 5/7/2019 at 4:34 PM, Anselmheifer said:

I think this comes to pass. I don't know how Catalina could have the edge as an UDFA that is coming off an injury. Flowers isn't winning that battle. Bergstrom is JAG. I honestly think we should resign Cooper. I think he'd be the 2nd best option behind Martin. 

Issue with Cooper is he plays just one position. He has value if he starts but this is not the case if we his just depth. There is also a chance too that he will be out there to pick up if we do need him

(Not a shot at you or anyone in particular Ansel) I'm amused by the way some make these absolute predictions. "Flowers WILL suck!" No room for growth, no nothing, it is written in stone. Not even a 1% chance that the kid learned anything, felt slighted at the draft by being someone's second choice, had communication issues or that our coaches might connect with him, nope, he's done, throw his ass away and let him get a job unloading trucks at WalMart.

Me? I dunno, might not work out, probably won't work out but why the hell did they bring him in if it is already decreed by God? 

Now seriously, I don't have a dog in this fight, aside from wanting our O line to improve, but to me, here's a kid that made it and lost it, blew his first big chance and got kicked to the curb. I want to see if he can rise up, learn from that, take that knowledge and admit/accept that the chance blowing was his doing and accept the challenge of it. Moses getting dissed, Trent getting popped with weed, etc, etc, we've seen this before, good guys with good character learn from their mistakes and get better because of that. We're gonna get to follow that subplot this season. How sweet might it be to get the guy cheap that the Giants took when we snatched Scherff right from under their noses and turn him around? 

15 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

(Not a shot at you or anyone in particular Ansel) I'm amused by the way some make these absolute predictions. "Flowers WILL suck!" No room for growth, no nothing, it is written in stone. Not even a 1% chance that the kid learned anything, felt slighted at the draft by being someone's second choice, had communication issues or that our coaches might connect with him, nope, he's done, throw his ass away and let him get a job unloading trucks at WalMart.

Me? I dunno, might not work out, probably won't work out but why the hell did they bring him in if it is already decreed by God? 

Now seriously, I don't have a dog in this fight, aside from wanting our O line to improve, but to me, here's a kid that made it and lost it, blew his first big chance and got kicked to the curb. I want to see if he can rise up, learn from that, take that knowledge and admit/accept that the chance blowing was his doing and accept the challenge of it. Moses getting dissed, Trent getting popped with weed, etc, etc, we've seen this before, good guys with good character learn from their mistakes and get better because of that. We're gonna get to follow that subplot this season. How sweet might it be to get the guy cheap that the Giants took when we snatched Scherff right from under their noses and turn him around? 

Just to clarify, I actually like the Flowers signing. It's a shot in the dark. If he can turn things around and be a long term solution at any spot on the OL, we got something for nothing, kind of like the Foster signing. I haven't really singled him out and watched him play, but the word is, he has sucked thus far. That doesn't mean he will never be good, but I probably wouldn't be looking for an instant turnaround. 

Martin on the other hand has already been playing LG, and has been doing so at a high level in college. I think there is a better chance that he is plug and play. 

@Anselmheifer  I believe Catalina’s shoulder healed up long ago.  Quinn’s also coming off injury and is the closest you can get to UDFA, yet I’m doubting you started penciling in McLaurin as the starter in the slot.  So, forgetting those two factors... my thought process is/was - Catalina is ahead in terms of knowing the system, working against pro caliber dlinemen, and he’s had time in an NFL weight room (spending a lot of time working out with Scherff, he said he feels “five times stronger”).  So I don’t see that as an outlandish take overall.  

To be fair, the more I’ve seen from and heard about Martin, I’m now guessing he’s got a very good shot at earning the LG spot.  

@LD0506  To add to your point (which has some validity, IMO), we need him to compete for the swing tackle spot, not start outright.  Good chance he would be forced to start at some point if he beats out Christian, but they’ll (hopefully) have a chance to develop him a bit more, perhaps fix some things, before that happens.  And they’ll get to know him and what he can and can’t do.  Hopefully they can give him a little help if needed in terms of play calling, chip blocks, etc.

Some people say Wes Martin looks like Brandon Scherff.

Well, I think our FB looks like both of them...in separate pictures.

Both of these pics are of Elijah Wellman.

With hair in the first one, he looks like Martin.

With his head shaved in the 2nd, he's Scherff's twin.

link to first pic

https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/elijah-wellman/

2nd pic wouldn't load, so here's the link

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/5/18/17334852/washington-redskins-udfa-profile-elijah-wellman-fb-west-virginia

265813.PNG

Elijah.jpg

Interesting to see Martin taking reps at right guard. No mention of Piersbacher getting reps at center with Roullier absent. Not much OTA news after Day 01. From Redskins.com:

The offensive line is a bit confusing right now. Without tackles Trent Williams in town and Morgan Moses fully healthy, the Redskins are going through some shuffling. Protecting Keenum to start the day included left tackle Tyler Catalina, left guard Ereck Flowers, center Tony Bergstrom (Chase Roullier was absent), right guard Brandon Scherff (who rotated frequently with Wes Martin) and right tackle Timon Parris.”

https://www.redskins.com/news/practice-news-and-notes-2019-otas-day-1

From the video, it looks like Pierschbacher is roughly the same size as Martin.  Martin is a little on the small side for a guard, but he can play it at the NFL level.  Hopefully Pierschbacher can play it too because that's his ticket into the roster.  He's not going to make it as a center only player.

Really hope we found out LG and C of the near future with these two.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

From the video, it looks like Pierschbacher is roughly the same size as Martin.  Martin is a little on the small side for a guard, but he can play it at the NFL level.  Hopefully Pierschbacher can play it too because that's his ticket into the roster.  He's not going to make it as a center only player.

Really hope we found out LG and C of the near future with these two.

Solid eye. Martin is an inch shorter and 4 pounds heavier with just slightly longer arms. They are very similarly sized. I think Martin could easily gain 10 pounds and at that point he's be a very solid 320 and strong as a bull. 

I don't see it with Piersbacher. I just don't think he has the athletic tools to make the jump. Maybe I'm wrong. I do hope you are right about him as a prospect. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ross-pierschbacher?id=32195049-4560-1339-f6ec-b8948fb7afcd

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/wes-martin?id=32194d41-5276-3142-cf04-a9d5c3a3b08b

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't see it with Piersbacher. I just don't think he has the athletic tools to make the jump. Maybe I'm wrong. I do hope you are right about him as a prospect. 

Pierschbacher was a good player at Alabama in 2018.  He's a super smooth player with a good first step and a very calming style of play.  Always in control.  I like that.  Perhaps his upside isn't great, but he's a good player today.  As a move blocker playing center, he has a future in the NFL.  I see him as already having developed that skill to an NFL level.  And he's not going to wet his pants in pass pro against a gap power.

it honestly wouldn't shock me if he won the starting job at LG.  He's reliable.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What that means, is we've doubled our chances of finding our right left guard !

Actually, triple the chances because Eric Flowers is penciled in as the starter as of today. However, I have high confidence that a guy like Martin can be a quality starter come Sept. 8.  Watching the cut-ups, Martin has surprisingly quick feet where he can maneuver his body quickly to counter moves - hence no sacks. He still is able to move his feet when bull-rushed and not give up ground unlike most other OL who dig both feet in the turf and essentially become the phone booth. His upper body strength is something to marvel. And we also have to love that Martin is healthy. 

Piersbacher, on the other hand, will push more for the center position than LG but will be a quality and equally healthy backup in the short term. 

Just a reminder that Chase Roullier is one of the best pass-blocking centers in the league.  He was able to do well last year even with the bums at guard he was surrounded by when Scherff went out. 

And in 2017:

The Redskins also got a nice rookie season from center Chase Roullier, who ended the campaign with a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.4, the highest rating recorded by a rookie center since Nick Mangold (99.4) in 2006. If they can stay healthy, the Redskins have the making of one of the better offensive lines in football as we look ahead to 2018.

^^^ I guess I owe Chase a little more respect than I have been giving him. I knew he had been both consistent and healthy but didn't realize he'd graded out that well. He still lacks some in the rushing game but wow if you can get a healthy Scherff and hopefully Wes who has some serious potential. 

The problem with Chase has always been that we've moved him too much. I'd like to see him start and stay at center all year. Martin can be our starting lg and Ross our backup interior guy. It helps that he played all three positions in college. I hate losing one guy (Kory) and having it impact two positions. 

But for some reason I'm not too excited about Alabama OL. Didn't we just have one buddy on us a few years back? 

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could this literally be the steal of the draft ?

I mean if I'm not mistaken this is a guy who wasn't even on any other teams' draft boards, and a lot of people never even heard of him.

Yet, he is one good preseason showing away from possibly being a Week 1 Starter, if not, soon thereafter.

Maybe pump the brakes a little on steal of the draft.

Just because he wasn't on many if any draft boards doesn't make him a steal, we did draft him in the 4th round so outperforming that would be the barometer for whether he's a steal or not.

And right now flowers is the starter so we dont know what we have quite yet and one outing in a totally meaningless 4th pre season game probably won't change my mind much on that.

I like what I've seen of him so far but i think its probably a little early to think he may be the steal of the draft.

Archived