Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bryce Love RB Stanford

PCS

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

It seems early to be talking PUP but if true, it may be the perfect storm. The lingering injury lowered his draft slot, and buys us extra time to develop him.  Assuming his bio is accurate and he needs to work on pass pro, a slow approach is not a bad thing. I think we have all learned the hard way that pass pro is very important to coaches. And may be closer to extremely important. It's not just technique; its grasping the playbook and pick ups.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, so I'm kinda hoping for the pup list.  Like you said, give him time to acclimate.   It will also give Marshall some more reps to prove himself, and CT to prove he is vital enough to our offenses success to be brought back in 2020.  If Marshall and/or CT have a poor showing, you can confidently move on if love finishes the year strong.  

After watching some Haskins tape, I am very excited for love and what he can bring.  Not only can he run between the tackles and be a slot receiver, but I think he can also contribute on some stuff I'm hoping the skins steal from Ohio St: jet sweeps, mesh plays etc.  With his speed and big play ability, he could really help the offense.

The ONLY thing I dislike about this pick has less to do with Love and more to do with our philosophy of “stealing” guys because they’re injured. For the past several years we continue to rely on guys coming off injuries as if nothing ever happened then the FO seems shocked when we once again have the most IR’d players and starter combinations. I get the idea of this guy being a Thompson like player but hell, Thompson can’t even make it through a season with a relatively small workload. Is anyone surprised that all the same o-linemen returning from injuries once again missed more time? Love has all the talent in the world and I am happy about the pick. I’m just saying it hasn’t worked out for us all that well over the years using that as a philosophy for a lot of the guys we expect to be key contributors. 

On 4/27/2019 at 3:18 PM, Bonez3 said:

We're on last pick of round 5 and 1 of these guys on the team and another not drafted. Maybe our scouts know more than us

Upon further thought and research on the player and the fact that 2 of the 3 players I was pining for have been drafted, I'm fine with the pick.

My initial reaction was knee-jerk because I was concerned that the Oline was being neglected and I felt more pass-catching weapons were still needed. I still can't believe the Redskins were able to get Harmon in the sixth round!

As for Love, all I knew about him was that he was recovering from a blown tire and that he was a small frame back that I thought could be had in the 5th or 6th. He really was scintillating in 2017 and has huge upside as a change of pace back if he can regain his form.

Chris Thompson won't be around in a couple years and even when he is, he's often hurt himself. I would even contend that Thompson has lost a step, I mean, he didn't look like himself last year when he was playing. 

So, I've been saying this a lot during this draft...I must give this FO credit where credit is due. At the end of it all, this was a terrific draft (on paper). Welcome to the Redskins, Bryce! HTTR

2 things that help a young QB. Run game and a good defense. Love will start on the Pup and be healthy by the time CT isn't. Guise should be hitting 100, when AP starts to slow down. 

If love gets back to 17 form, he could be the steal of the draft and have us divided on which back to keep in a few years.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

2 things that help a young QB. Run game and a good defense. Love will start on the Pup and be healthy by the time CT isn't. Guise should be hitting 100, when AP starts to slow down. 

If love gets back to 17 form, he could be the steal of the draft and have us divided on which back to keep in a few years.

You make some good points, time-line wise but I don't think Love will ever be considered an RB1 due to his diminutive size. At best, he can become an Alvin Kamara change of pace type back.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:20 AM, RandyHolt said:

CT at full health can no longer be assumed. Guice's recovery is slow going, as we heard on draft day. AP ain't getting any younger. Perine sure seems on the outs, more than in. Marshall is injury prone. Bibbs, is gone, which I thought was a mistake.  We need help and Love at 100% can provide an instant injection of life in our offense.  Our gaping hole at WR, is not going to go away, and the remedy for that is to run the ball.  I am convinced, our plan for 2019 to help ease Haskins in, is to remain run heavy/PAP.

Guice would disagree about his recovery.  LOL

19 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Guice would disagree about his recovery.  LOL

Excellent news. We need him at full health.

I think it was the ESPN crew... I cannot recall.  I wonder why a pundit would say that if not true, when the guy that spurred the discussion, Love, was reported in the same conversation to likely be headed to the PUP.  Its not like Love would fill in for him.  I can only presume he had old or flat out incorrect info. 

1 hour ago, Wyndorf25 said:

You make some good points, time-line wise but I don't think Love will ever be considered an RB1 due to his diminutive size. At best, he can become an Alvin Kamara change of pace type back.

Hes the same size as ray rice and bigger than warrick Dunn, Barry Sanders and Michael Westbrook.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes the same size as ray rice and bigger than warrick Dunn, Barry Sanders and Michael Westbrook.

Ok, fair enough. First of all I didnt realize Ray Rice was that small, but the Warrick Dunn comp is accurate. I wiil say though, those are some pretty special players you have cherry-picked. Most 5'9" 200lb backs are just not lead RBs in the NFL. But your point is taken.

4 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Ok, fair enough. First of all I didnt realize Ray Rice was that small, but the Warrick Dunn comp is accurate. I wiil say though, those are some pretty special players you have cherry-picked. Most 5'9" 200lb backs are just not lead RBs in the NFL. But your point is taken.

I had to look into it. I assumed he was a small CT scat back replacement type, until I was corrected.

He was slated top 15 if he didn't go back to school last year and we easily could of drafted him over Guise. Dudes talented and a very hard worker. One of those two is going to be special. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I had to look into it. I assumed he was a small CT scat back replacement type, until I was corrected.

He was slated top 15 if he didn't go back to school last year and we easily could of drafted him over Guise. Dudes talented and a very hard worker. One of those two is going to be special. 

Yeah, I've read he's on his way to becoming a friggin doctor. That, alone, implies he is a special individual.

4 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Yeah, I've read he's on his way to becoming a friggin doctor. That, alone, implies he is a special individual.

He legit has the tools to get through the tackles and the speed to hit a home run on any play. This is an exciting draft pick.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Like many, I too was wondering why the steep drop in stats between 2017 and last season. I only watched three games each season but I think I have a reasonable understanding. First, there was no injury between the seasons. Second, Love showed me he is just as fast. What I saw was a tad more indecisiveness in 2018 that was attributed to poorer line play. 2017 Stanford OL was tremendous. Lots of pulling guards and tackles creating usually two holes to run through. So, on the surface, it looks like Love has great vision and is making great cutbacks, great decisiveness. But I submit he had more choices, more lanes. Now, Love is not the back I thought he is based on the stats. He tends to hesitate in the backfield and when the line gives (2017 and 2018), Love can lose yardage - a lot more in 2018. Even though Stanford used him as a primary back between the tackles, he’s more of a feast-famine type of a runner. You want him to be in space. 

He is nothing like Guice who will rarely have negative yards despite a defender getting into the backfield. Mostly because of Guice’s decisiveness but also because of his size and strength. Love to me would be a good third-down back, not because he can catch, which he can, but because he needs space to excel - like a draw play or a swing pass. I think if we use him between the tackles, he just wont hold up - just like he didn't hold up at Stanford - lots of minor injuries until the ACL in December. 

Love is fast but he’s not a 4.3 guy. DraftScout has range as 4.34-4.52 for an average of 4.43. That sounds about right as he would be caught from behind by a corner or safety regularly. And sometimes he’d get caught running out to the flat by a LB. I figured a 4.3 guy would easily beat a trailing LB or safety but Love does occasionally get caught from behind. Love excels as a change of direction guy, which to me is a more important quality for a RB. 

I like the addition to the team but because of the ACL, I didn’t and still don't like him in the 4th. If 9 months is the minimum recovery time, then it’s August before we see him taking snaps. Plus, I see him as a back who needs more space to be the threat we want him to be. I do see him as a nice offset to Guice. LBs and DL will be punished by Guice straight ahead for the most part - then they’ll have to move laterally to chase a greased pig when Love comes in. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Excellent news. We need him at full health.

I think it was the ESPN crew... I cannot recall.  I wonder why a pundit would say that if not true, when the guy that spurred the discussion, Love, was reported in the same conversation to likely be headed to the PUP.  Its not like Love would fill in for him.  I can only presume he had old or flat out incorrect info. 

Did you really wonder out loud why a pundit would say something untrue?

Uh, almost everything they say is untrue.   Shefter lost his Redskins contacts when Shanny left.   You think anyone on the team is calling him telling him anything about anyone on the team, much less Guice?   Lawd.   People really need to understand just become someone writes a thing doesn't make it so.   Presume what you're seeing is false.   Until it's clear it is not.   And you'll be better for it.

This is the pick that excites me the most, we could have 2 young studs in the backfield by next year.

I would play it safe and shelf him this year, that way he has plenty of time to get healthy and get his confidence back.

We don't need him this year and putting him in mid-season with limited reps isn't smart IMO.

We have a chance to get 1st rd quality out of a 4th rounder, protect your asset and get him ready for next year.

1 minute ago, Art said:

Did you really wonder out loud why a pundit would say something untrue?

Uh, almost everything they say is untrue.   Shefter lost his Redskins contacts when Shanny left.   You think anyone on the team is calling him telling him anything about anyone on the team, much less Guice?   Lawd.   People really need to understand just become someone writes a thing doesn't make it so.   Presume what you're seeing is false.   Until it's clear it is not.   And you'll be better for it.

Interesting take - you are almost alleging that sports reporting is so consistently wrong, that we'd be better off assuming the opposite.

But it sounds like you were watching the same report, implying that it was Shefter.  If true, your post begs the question, why were you watching?

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is the pick that excites me the most, we could have 2 young studs in the backfield by next year.

I would play it safe and shelf him this year, that way he has plenty of time to get healthy and get his confidence back.

We don't need him this year and putting him in mid-season with limited reps isn't smart IMO.

We have a chance to get 1st rd quality out of a 4th rounder, protect your asset and get him ready for next year.

If he's a full go by the medical team than let him get his beak wet in the final few games. He's gonna be chomping at the bit and 6-8 touches a game will be good for him. 

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Interesting take - you are almost alleging that sports reporting is so consistently wrong, that we'd be better off assuming the opposite.

But it sounds like you were watching the same report, implying that it was Shefter.  If true, your post begs the question, why were you watching?

Most reporting is fiction, yes, and as sports reporters have decided to report sports like news, they also generate more fiction.   Traditional sports writing remains pretty straightforward and hard to get wrong though.   I'm not sure how to answer the question about why I was watching the NFL draft during the NFL draft other than to say I watched the NFL draft cause I enjoy it.   It doesn't mean I sit there presuming every word they come up with is factual.   Or that I agree they need a 10 minute segment on a draft pick who hit a girl in high school and why that's ok/not ok.   But the draft is fun to watch.   So are sports.   I'm just blessed not to think each utterance is true as I appreciate people who are never in D.C. don't actually have a ton of contacts in D.C.   Exchange city as you wish.   

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

If he's a full go by the medical team than let him get his beak wet in the final few games. He's gonna be chomping at the bit and 6-8 touches a game will be good for him. 

I'm all for it but I'm just basing my initial thoughts on the reports that his knee is stiff or didn't feel right during the medical evaluations, he may need another procedure or more time than usual to get that knee loose.  I don't know what the specifics are but let's make sure he's healthy and if he is I'm with you, get him out there but don't be dumb about it.

I mostly agree about your take on sports reporting, @Art  especially in the age of the internet and more specifically Twitter. For example, @Skinsinparadise will frequently give us a nod as to who he thinks is a more reliable source. Obviously Kiem but occasionally Sheehan. It took me a while to connect the dots but I discovered he is the Ed Sheehan I graduated HS with. Super great guy that played football all his youth but never grew tall. He’s a freelance photographer who also covers the Nats. Bit all of a sudden, he gains a twitter following and is now a quotable source?  Certainly he’s way more connected than me but I’d go more with what Kiem or Finley say - guys who are salaried reporters. 

Back to this ESPN stuff. I was listening to ESPN radio on Saturday while driving my kids to music lessons and the radio guys were glowing about the Love pick. Not sure what the TV guys were saying. 

But, yeah, consider your sources. I think many of these twitter “insider”  guys are actually tools used by the FO like Schefter and JLC. 

Archived