Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bryce Love RB Stanford

PCS

On 5/13/2019 at 6:39 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

Listening to many athletes with knee tears, the common response to how long it takes to trust your knee again is 2-3 years.

Oh Jesus that answers my question than...he definitely won't be playing this year...what round did we draft this guy?

On 5/13/2019 at 7:13 AM, cakmoney61 said:

Which would explain why Love wasn't drafted until the 4th round.  IMHO, it's a wise investment even if he's not 100% (physically and mentally) until 2020/2021.  We have seen far too many mediocre RBs leaving far too many yards on the field for this team.  Last season, AP reminded us of the value of having a RB who is capable of making something out of nothing and turning an ordinary play into an extraordinary play.  I love the Love pick!!!!! 

Not sure I agree using a fourth round pick tho..as much as o linemen drop like flies here I would have rather seen a guard drafted..ya.. another one

On 5/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

Listening to many athletes with knee tears, the common response to how long it takes to trust your knee again is 2-3 years.

Man i really believe this has accelerated exponentially in the recent years. The "trust" your knee thing is probably more psychological than physical. There has been plenty of examples of guys that have come back stronger a year after a torn ACL. AP being a great one. Also, being as young as he is helps. There are definitely the cases where things just don't quite heal right as well...and guys re-injure and never quite get back. That risk is why Love was there in the 4th. 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Guise and Love are healthy and rested for the second half of the season, and our line doesn't completely disintegrate again, our ground game is going to be savage.

Wonder if Flanagan can be the dual threat Y type TE.  Otherwise, if Jay sticks to a heavy dose of Duo as for their runs -- the TE is a key component because they have to typically pick up the edge rusher.   The thing about our run game is its odd in one sense IMO since it puts a decent onus on the tight ends to block well albeit our top two tight ends are terrible blockers for the most part. 

Jay even revealed it to be a problem this off season in the context of their TE personnel is a tell for defenses as to pass-run.   Cooley seems sold on Flanagan, hopefully, he's right about him, will see. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if Flanagan can be the dual threat Y type TE. 

I give that edge to Wellman.

I think the only reason we saw Flanagan and Holtz last year was the injury to Wellman.

Wellman I think would have made the team last year if he didn't get hurt. He looked great in preseason. Loved his blocking. I hope and believe he makes the 53.

Just look at this guy. This is Scherff's litle brother.

I can still see some major moves being made at the TE position. I think we're still looking for somebody to come in and beat out Davis or Sprinkle to help the running game, but I really wonder if the Scherff deal is being held up because we're cap tight. That's not really a thought though because in that case I do think they'd easily cut Davis to clear up some room. That being said, wouldn't signing him clear up room anyway? So this is nothing. 

As far as our running game, I wonder if Love would be better of a RB with Davis and Reed. If he excels in space, we could do him like we did Thompson 2 years ago and give him a bunch of draw plays on 3 WRs and a TE or 2 WR and 2 TEs. 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I can still see some major moves being made at the TE position. I think we're still looking for somebody to come in and beat out Davis or Sprinkle to help the running game, but I really wonder if the Scherff deal is being held up because we're cap tight. That's not really a thought though because in that case I do think they'd easily cut Davis to clear up some room. That being said, wouldn't signing him clear up room anyway? So this is nothing. 

As far as our running game, I wonder if Love would be better of a RB with Davis and Reed. If he excels in space, we could do him like we did Thompson 2 years ago and give him a bunch of draw plays on 3 WRs and a TE or 2 WR and 2 TEs. 

Scherff deal or no deal is definitely looming. I think Sprinkle is safe and Davis would be on the chopping block.

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I give that edge to Wellman.

I think the only reason we saw Flanagan and Holtz last year was the injury to Wellman.

Wellman I think would have made the team last year if he didn't get hurt. He looked great in preseason. Loved his blocking. I hope and believe he makes the 53.

Just look at this guy. This is Scherff's litle brother.

I knew nothing of Wellman until your post...I have a new favorite underdog that I am rooting for. That's a guy I want on my team!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, Koolblue13 said:

If Guise and Love are healthy and rested for the second half of the season, and our line doesn't completely disintegrate again, our ground game is going to be savage.

I’m still licking my chops thinking about a backfield of Peterson, Guice and Love. Come mid-season when Love is 100%, he could add such a new dynamic to a 3rd and 4 or 5 as he has legitimate 4.3 speed and should be able to get a couple more yards than CT. I’m also thinking about 3rd and short or goal-line and using 22 personnel. The D will likely assume run but could easily go pass with your two fastest receivers, McLaurin and Richardson, to push the DBs deep and  our TEs, Reed and Davis, legitimate receiving threats to take care of the middle. 

Heck, imagine all three running backs healthy... I’m thinking wishbone!!

• 2 weeks later...

Doing the secret Perine bump

Has any heard anything about Love's progress, or is he likely slated for PUP?

It was interesting to hear Jay giving everyone's favorite RB some love. Saying Perine was the best back in camp may be more about injuries to others than anything else, but I couldn't have been the only one to take notice.  Was Jay just blowing smoke because he has been working the hardest?  I became a fan after seeing Perine make a few tough catches, but know he may be forever in the doghouse for his 2 fumbles his rookie year. It's a bummer IMO that Jay refuses to use him in the formations he dominated at in college - pistol IIRC.  If he was a free agent, sure suck it up buttercup.  But when you spend draft capital on a back, I thinks it prudent to find a way to make them useful.  I don't see the big deal in adapting an offense to a player, but some coaches want all the players to adapt to him, and that is his prerogative.

I know we have seen Guice working out at the gym. Does that mean he is 100%?  I figured he would be the one grabbing the camp back headlines. AP is an old battle tested guy that will not do anything of note in OTAs.  CT is presumed at 100% but think he has learned to not go balls to the wall in camp after some major injuries.  I imagine Marshall is still slowed from injuries last year, or is just taking it easy in camp. 

I think this kid Reynolds is slated to be our preseason 'workhorse looks great but we are cutting yer ass' back.

I just read that Guice is not yet practicing. I feel like some here saw the work out video posted the day after the draft (after we heard comments about his complications)  and assumed he was at full health.

While Love still seems slated for PUP, I wonder how much longer Guice needs.  After a plethora of setbacks we only heard about in December, I assume he hasn't had any others, but was sure hoping he would be available by now. 

Gruden: "Perine has done an excellent job. He’s been one of our top performers on offense, really," Gruden said. "Perine has continued to get stronger and stronger in the weight room. He’s a powerful running back and he has not had the opportunities that he probably deserves or needs. But we just have to figure out a way to make the competition fair and play the best player, no matter whom they are or where they’re from."

Damn he is even stronger, which he already had in spades.  Without some injuries or PUPs, he seems like a cut candidate. I feel like Marshall is the likely 4th back kept, if any, as a presumed better hands back backup.

52 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I just read that Guice is not yet practicing. I feel like some here saw the work out video posted the day after the draft (after we heard comments about his complications)  and assumed he was at full health.

While Love still seems slated for PUP, I wonder how much longer Guice needs.  After a plethora of setbacks we only heard about in December, I assume he hasn't had any others, but was sure hoping he would be available by now. 

Gruden: "Perine has done an excellent job. He’s been one of our top performers on offense, really," Gruden said. "Perine has continued to get stronger and stronger in the weight room. He’s a powerful running back and he has not had the opportunities that he probably deserves or needs. But we just have to figure out a way to make the competition fair and play the best player, no matter whom they are or where they’re from."

Damn he is even stronger, which he already had in spades.  Without some injuries or PUPs, he seems like a cut candidate. I feel like Marshall is the likely 4th back kept, if any, as a presumed better hands back backup.

Hasn't even been a year yet. Even without the setbacks wouldn't expect him practicing within 12 months of the injury.

No reason for Guice to be here now, it seems they have been shooting for camp the whole time.  I think Love is out of the mix this year, but he and Guice will be the guys next year (if healthy).  If Perine has found the college version of himself, Guice is 100% and AP feels better than ever we could have a pretty potent backfield this year.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, RandyHolt said:

Doing the secret Perine bump

Has any heard anything about Love's progress, or is he likely slated for PUP?

It was interesting to hear Jay giving everyone's favorite RB some love. Saying Perine was the best back in camp may be more about injuries to others than anything else, but I couldn't have been the only one to take notice.  Was Jay just blowing smoke because he has been working the hardest?  I became a fan after seeing Perine make a few tough catches, but know he may be forever in the doghouse for his 2 fumbles his rookie year. 

Every time I hear Jay talking about how Perone is the best running back, and that we need to use him more.  I become even more convinced that he is an idiot.  We have a hall of famer on the roster and a Chris Thompson.  I’m almost ready to say Guice is better than Perine too, but he’s been limited to stretching and drills.

Is anybody else concerned about this!!?  

JP and the others on their podcast did a segment where they list the percent chance a player is on the field day 1 of Redskins training camp and Guice was at 80-90% for them and Geron Christian was around like 70-80% (for those wondering).

I think Guice will be ready, but on a strict snap count up to and into the beginning of the season. If we keep 4 running backs it'll most likely be AP, Guice, Thompson, and Perine with the final spot over Byron Marshall. Love will be on PUP, but might be available mid-season if something happens to Thompson, god forbid.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Every time I hear Jay talking about how Perone is the best running back, and that we need to use him more.  I become even more convinced that he is an idiot.  We have a hall of famer on the roster and a Chris Thompson.  I’m almost ready to say Guice is better than Perine too, but he’s been limited to stretching and drills.

In coach-speak, every player is the greatest player at his job, unless he's a UDFA bubble player. Then he's merely a "great kid". If the coach weren't willing to praise him in broad strokes, he'd have to really, really suck.

5 hours ago, Vanguard said:

No because that's not exactly what Jay said. Jay said that Perine was one of the top performers on offense. That's it. And to put that in context, Love is not playing. Guice is not playing, they are babying Thompson as he rehabs and also limiting Peterson. Perine got a lot of work since the RBs in front of him are either injured and not practicing (Love and Guice) or were injured and rehabbing (Thompson) , or have a lot a carries in their career and do not need a lot of work in June (AP). 

So no, I am not concerned at all. it's June not late August or September and Jay just said Perine had an nice camp. Nothing about him being the best RB. 

No need to rush back Guice. There's still 6 weeks left until camp. Let him rehab and get stronger. I imagine he'll be on a limited snap count until the regular season starts, however, which I'm ok with.

At any rate, good to see Perine looking good. Hopefully he can put it all together. At this stage, he still might be our 5th best RB. AP, Guice, Thompson, and even Love, have much more talent and explosiveness. I'm not expecting Perine to make the cut for the upcoming season.

Maybe the best thing Perine has going for him, is durability. Yes I know he had injuries and barely played in between fumbles, but Freakazoid AP aside, health has been a MAJOR issue at back for us. Even AP had his share of injuries, albeit not enough to make him miss time.  The problem with a back off the street, pickups, brainfarts in the new O, etc. Plus, street guys are just that. Yes, AP aside.

Ironically Bibbs seemed the most durable of the bunch.... but bye bye bibbs.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Jay always seems to find a way to get a soundbite in for Perine, almost as if he knows it stings the fans when we have to hear about how this is the year Perine removes head from arce.

Doesn't hurt to say nice things about him this time of year, just in case anyone is dumb/desperate enough to trade for him.

34 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Doesn't hurt to say nice things about him this time of year, just in case anyone is dumb/desperate enough to trade for him.

Are we also dumb enough to trade him on the cheap, and ignore our glaring injury issues at RB?   Our only durable back is 34 years old. Let that sink in. I guess we could always bring in Larry Johnson and Willie Parker, or Frank Gore.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Are we also dumb enough to trade him on the cheap, and ignore our glaring injury issues at RB?   Our only durable back is 34 years old. Let that sink in. I guess we could always bring in Larry Johnson and Willie Parker, or Frank Gore.

I remember posters saying similar things about Matt Jones...

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I remember posters saying similar things about Matt Jones...

We could sell him for the same amount we sold Matt Jones for.

Code for, why bother.  Until we have a healthy or better 5th or 6th back, I hold. The worst thing to do is selling him for peanuts or release him like Jones, before we get healed up. 

A healthy back knowing the offense has to make him worth more to us than other teams. We presume he can block which seems to be an issue with many otherwise fringe backs. If he can block, it helps. Sure the best case scenario is for him to dominate in preseason, all the backs including Love are at full health, and then sell Perine for a kings ransom to a team that runs out of pistol and losses their shiny new draft pick on the 3rd carry of preseason.

8 hours ago, goskins10 said:

No because that's not exactly what Jay said. Jay said that Perine was one of the top performers on offense. That's it. And to put that in context, Love is not playing. Guice is not playing, they are babying Thompson as he rehabs and also limiting Peterson. Perine got a lot of work since the RBs in front of him are either injured and not practicing (Love and Guice) or were injured and rehabbing (Thompson) , or have a lot a carries in their career and do not need a lot of work in June (AP). 

So no, I am not concerned at all. it's June not late August or September and Jay just said Perine had an nice camp. Nothing about him being the best RB. 

Well then I apologize to you and whoever else corrected me.  

But there were times last year, where I certainly heard him say that we needed to run Perine more.  I’m like, does he want to turn the ball over more, does he want to squander the o lines hard work? Or does he want to put that 230 pound ice wagon on the field that runs like a scat back with no moves?

7 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Well then I apologize to you and whoever else corrected me.  

But there were times last year, where I certainly heard him say that we needed to run Perine more.  I’m like, does he want to turn the ball over more, does he want to squander the o lines hard work? Or does he want to put that 230 pound ice wagon on the field that runs like a scat back with no moves?

Squander the o-lines work? With all due respect, I kind of laughed out loud on that one.  Per Football Outsiders (not perfect but at least have some solid metrics), last year the Redskins were 26th in run blocking. In 2017 they were 21st. In 2016 they were 6th but that was an anomaly as 2015 they were 21st. Much of that was injuries but not all. This oline has not been good at run blocking for some time now. Pass blocking? Yes, they are decent. But run blocking? They are mostly ****. At one point late in the season they either led the league or were close to the top of RBs getting hit before the line of scrimmage. 

Jay and the coaches know something the fans either don't know or ignore, to be really successful you need to develop players. That means living through some bumps and bruises to get them to a better place. By all accounts Perine has worked his ass off to get stronger and faster. He had a nice mini-camp. If, and this is a big if, he continues then why shouldn't he get more touches? AP cannot handle a full load anymore. Love will be on PUP if not end up on IR (he was an investment in the future). Thompson will be injured at some point and Guice is an unknown - although if healthy I do see him getting the bulk of the touches. If you can develop a guy already in house why not? If he still shows fumble issues you cut him. That will show itself in TC and preseason. But in the meantime why not talk him up a little, at least publicly. 

I like the idea of him being a fullback type guy - show some 2 back sets with him and Thompson on passing downs and open the possibilities. 

The main point here is that Jay and the coaches are working to develop guys. If they can get production out of Perine why not. And in the meantime talking him up a bit may help you if someone has a RB need but it doesn't hurt you in any case. 

Archived