Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bryce Love RB Stanford

PCS

8 hours ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Head-scratcher pick for me. Why Love in the 4th? With FS Dionte Thompson, OG Ross Pierschbacher and WR Kelvin Harmon all still on the board and they go small, injured RB in the 4th? Yuck. First pick I hate by the Redskins so far.

This aged well...

We have needed a 2nd hands back for.... ever.   Whenever CT went down, our offense was grounded. He is cut from the scat back mold and wonder if they envision him serving in the hands role.  But as we all know he will have to work on his pass protection, but from this scouting report, it would seem like his hands have potential.

Receiving Ability -Usage has been highly limited after a promising freshman season in 2015. Has all the needed quickness to win out of the backfield in match-ups against linebackers, although will need a lot of reps to catch up for limited development in this area.

Pass Protection -Is not physical enough in protection. Will get pushed around by defenders looking to get into the face of the passer, Love simply lacks the anchor needed to drop down and hold his ground effectively. 3rd down reps would be better served as a receiver.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/bryce-love

I'm shocked how many people seem surprised/upset by this pick. I'd just point out a few things:

(1) RB is/was a need. Outside of Guice, not sure if any RB currently on the roster will still be there in 2020. Peterson is old. Thompson is getting older/may leave. Perine hasn't proven to be particularly good. Most everyone else hasn't shown much;

(2) Love is/was one of the best RBs in the class. Maybe the best;

(3) While Love is unlikely to produce in 2019, most 4th round picks don't produce as rookies. if you look at the Skins recent history, only guys like Crowder (2015) or Breeland (2014) made any real impact (maybe Nicholson as well). You also have guys like Apke, Kouandjio, Philip Thomas, rookie Kirk Cousins (started 1 game), etc... Most 4th round rookies are depth guys that barely play. And some people act like taking a guy who's awesome but injured right now is such a problem. 

don't really get it

16 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I'm shocked how many people seem surprised/upset by this pick. I'd just point out a few things:

(1) RB is/was a need. Outside of Guice, not sure if any RB currently on the roster will still be there in 2020. Peterson is old. Thompson is getting older/may leave. Perine hasn't proven to be particularly good. Most everyone else hasn't shown much;

(2) Love is/was one of the best RBs in the class. Maybe the best;

(3) While Love is unlikely to produce in 2019, most 4th round picks don't produce as rookies. if you look at the Skins recent history, only guys like Crowder (2015) or Breeland (2014) made any real impact (maybe Nicholson as well). You also have guys like Apke, Kouandjio, Philip Thomas, rookie Kirk Cousins (started 1 game), etc... Most 4th round rookies are depth guys that barely play. And some people act like taking a guy who's awesome but injured right now is such a problem. 

don't really get it

Yeah I don't get the hate either. Filling needs is important but drafting BPA has been the proven method. Not sure how many GMs need to be quoted about that before it's clear.  What I liked about this pick is not only did they get an explosive player, a real difference maker assuming he comes back fully, but it showed that they were taking talent over reaching to fill a need.  Something they appeared to have done with the next pick.  

One of my favorite players during the 2017 college season who I touted in the draft thread back then when I thought he'd be coming out in 2018 but then he didn't come out so I switched to Guice as my man crush back then.  Loved Barkley too (who didn't) but it was clear we'd have no shot at him

The dude IMO if healthy is beyond just good.  He's maybe the most explosive RB I've ever seen in college at least in my estimation.   He's elusive, quick fast, vision, contact balance, home run hitter if he breaks loose.  For a smallish running back he's tough as heck.  He wasn't a pure outside zone type runner.  They ran him inside zone and gap.

He looks like you are watching a video game.  His size makes you worry though.   2017 version was insane, 2000 plus yards, 19 TDS, 8 YPA.  The year before he had 7.1 YPA.  Last year he played through ankle injuries and wasn't the same.  In that sense the narrative was similar to Guice.  Guice played banged up in 2017 but was insane in 2016 when he played healthy.

I just watched 3 2018 Love games from this year -- seeing his lesser version.  His lesser version still looked pretty darned good to me.  But if he can recover from the ACL and return to form from 2017, IMO they got a super star.  But it's a risk too since not every player is Adrian Peterson coming off an ACL, some take a year or so to regain their form.  But a gamble worth taking IMO. 

I attached some 2018 clips from the games I watched.  His bad game in the mix was SD State, they really loaded the box on him and bottled him up.  For a short guy though he is over 200 pounds they don't hesitate to run him in between the tackles and IMO he's not bad at it, I attach a clip on that front.  But IMO he's special if you can get him in space and with outside zone.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

@RandyHolt you see the post earlier where he talks about loving to pass block? I think dudes gonna ball out.

That's good to hear, that he is embracing it.  He will have the effort part. The size will be what it is.  Perhaps more than physical ability, is the importance of knowing where to go.  Like always, his reps will come down to coaches trust. I suspect that trust may only come from a year on the PS/PUP(?). I have learned to temper enthusiasm for 4th round scats.

WRT BPA vs need, this pick reflected both. Even without injuries decimating the position, we needed a change of pace/home run (COP/HR) back, and I think all teams now simply need 2 hands backs.

No back will ever share the passion for pass pro like one Clinton Portis, until we see otherwise.  He had to be the most violent pass pro blocker in the modern era of the game. Maybe ever.

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@RandyHolt you see the post earlier where he talks about loving to pass block? I think dudes gonna ball out.

Like you I want a Y TE. A threat in the pass game and could block too.  That didn't happen but it was obvious they couldn't fill all their needs in one draft.   If you like blocking, watch Harmon and McLaurin.   Harmon in particular is a real physical player in every way including his blocking. 

Love's blocking IMO looked decent in the games I watched but they didn't leave him back to block that much at least from what I saw, he usually darted into space when the pressure came to give the QB a lifeline for a short pass.  

loveblock2.png

loveblock.png

46 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I don't get the hate either. Filling needs is important but drafting BPA has been the proven method. Not sure how many GMs need to be quoted about that before it's clear.  What I liked about this pick is not only did they get an explosive player, a real difference maker assuming he comes back fully, but it showed that they were taking talent over reaching to fill a need.  Something they appeared to have done with the next pick.  

I actually saw this pick as filling a big need.  Like most all of our picks, actually.  Sure it's amateur hour at GM but I saw needs addressed. Heavily, including Love.  And they are getting good grades for our draft.

CT at full health can no longer be assumed. Guice's recovery is slow going, as we heard on draft day. AP ain't getting any younger. Perine sure seems on the outs, more than in. Marshall is injury prone. Bibbs, is gone, which I thought was a mistake.  We need help and Love at 100% can provide an instant injection of life in our offense.  Our gaping hole at WR, is not going to go away, and the remedy for that is to run the ball.  I am convinced, our plan for 2019 to help ease Haskins in, is to remain run heavy/PAP.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Portis was a ****ing gem of a blocker. Will always miss that.

No way does BLove last on the PS for a minute. Its IR or AR.

Or PUP.  From what I heard on draft day, he is a PUP candidate. 

About my PS suggestion, I think I have assumed every scat back we have drafted wouldn't make it to the PS at the close of camp. I think I have been wrong every time. So now i assume PS and work backwards and try to keep more reasonable expectations for myself, over decades past.

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No way does BLove last on the PS for a minute. Its IR or AR.

Agree.   In 2017 before Love decided not to enter the draft, if you recall we all were talking in the draft thread about Love being a first rounder maybe even top half of the first.  And I was arguably the most obnoxious guy on the thread as for wanting Guice and pumping him as the guy we should pick.   So even for me my take is if Love can heal and get back to being the running back he was in 2017, he actually is even better IMO than Guice albeit I'd start Guice because he'd hold up better over the course of a season.

The 2017 version of Love would be much more IMO in the NFL than a RB that spells the starter on third down.  The Bears have used Tarik Cohen often as their primary weapon on offense and he's a handful.  IMO Cohen would be the poor man's version of Love.   Ditto Chris Thompson.   If again its the 2017 version.  Love isn't the threat in the passing game that Cohen is.  But he's trying to develop that part of his game and did catch 20 balls last year.  But Love is more explosive IMO than Cohen as a runner and a weapon in the open field -- if he regains his 2017 health.

Videos that juxtaposed Love and Barkley was actually a thing in 2017.     The highlights here are fun. 

Picking any RB at that point in the draft was definitely a surprise, but because it was Love, I was very excited about the pick.  He is an absolute stud and a threat from anywhere on the field.  Having a fully healthy Guice and Love means there will be no rest for opposing defenses not to mention they are each other's insurance policy.

It would be great if he gets on the field this year.  If not, he will be 100% ready to go in 2020 and the understandably disgruntled Redskins fans will understand why this first- to early second-round talent was too good to pass on.

Love the upside here and the forward thinking approach by the managment. 

This is a classic buy low approach. Dude was outstanding in previous years and we would've had to use a 1st to get him. Now we give him some time to get healthy while we rely on what's left of AP and chris thompson. 

Keep in mind that AP is the prototype for being a star running back, getting injured badly, then making a miraculous recovery. 

Both young guys could learn a lot from him. If even one of guice or love make a full recovery then we've got a dangerous weapon on our hands for the future. 

25 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Posting last night thinking he'd be on IR this season. Great to read he may be back much sooner. No need to rush the rehab but we sure have a dynamic stable of backs on the roster.

Yeah, I'm definitely excited about the depth, the quality depth we're building with that running game. And you said it, we've got a dynamic stable of backs. Let's just hope that Gruden fully utilizes the weapons at his disposal at this position. I almost threw everything in the living room at my TV when he abandoned the run so early against the Colts in that second game last year. Did AP even have 10 carries in that game? Man, I was steaming. As the season went on, it seemed like whenever AP would get hot, Gruden would send Kelley or somebody else out there. Drove me insane.

It seems early to be talking PUP but if true, it may be the perfect storm. The lingering injury lowered his draft slot, and buys us extra time to develop him.  Assuming his bio is accurate and he needs to work on pass pro, a slow approach is not a bad thing. I think we have all learned the hard way that pass pro is very important to coaches. And may be closer to extremely important. It's not just technique; its grasping the playbook and pick ups.

yeah ... that ACL thing ...

Peterson - 2011 (first ACL tear)

- Redskins '18:  1,042 yards, 7 TDs ... 4.2 yd/carry ... 12 year vet

Allen - 1993 (second ACL tear)

- Redskins '95:  1,309 yards, 10 TDs ... 3.9 yd/carry ... 4 year vet

- Redskins '96:  1,353 yards, 21 TDs ... 3.9 yd/carry ... Pro Bowl

- Redskins '97:  724 yards, 4 TDs ... 3.5 yd/carry

- Redskins '98:  700 yards, 2 TDs ... 4.7 yd/carry

Archived