Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW - Lurch on The Junkies just said he's got a buddy tight with a few defensive line guys who said Buddy Baker is a really hard agent to work with.  The Junkies think the sticking point is likely guaranteed money, like Cooper Cupp range ($75mil).

As a whole all The Junkies think that report of 65/35% to be traded is bunk. 

Agents are the players’ own worst enemies sometimes. They are greedy, looking for the highest payout because it means a bigger cut for themselves. I understand why, but it has really created an untenable market (the WR3 who is making $20 mill per year in Atlanta).

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW - Lurch on The Junkies just said he's got a buddy tight with a few defensive line guys who said Buddy Baker is a really hard agent to work with.  The Junkies think the sticking point is likely guaranteed money, like Cooper Cupp range ($75mil).

As a whole all The Junkies think that report of 65/35% to be traded is bunk. 

Dont get me wrong I think Terry COULD take a huge jump with better qb play from Wentz this season however Kupp put up record type numbers on the field and they aren't the same type of WRs and as of right now Terrys numbers do not warrant the same amount of GTD dollars as Kupp. I think Terry is more valuable to this franchise than any other in the league but thats way too much 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

To me, this means they just haven't arrived on a comp yet.  The team says one thing, the agent says another. 

True.  That's beyond super obvious, I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.  That's the one point that EVERY reporter seems to agree on.  It's the heart of almost any FA negotiation which is who is the comp? 

I know there is a tremendous amount of swirl about Dan and Cash.  

That likely explains the delay of negotiations but otherwise has nothing to do with the present circumstance.  It's not either the hold up is the comp or Dan's cash situation.   Now, its the comp. But, the cash situation IMO has already played out and at least according to some irritated the Terry side in the negotiation and from our point of view likely cost this team in cap dollars. 

But that's spilled milk that's irreleveant to present circumstance unless as that reporter, Lombardo, suggested the team is still stuck on figures from before the salaries escalated this off season.  Joel Corry, ex-agent, on Standig's podcast said sometimes teams have a hard time readjusting to escalating salaries if they had an original figure in their head at the start of the off season.  He goes he'd have been shocked if Terry would get even 20 million a year at the start of the off season, now he expects him to end up at 22.5.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one (Occam's razor, the simplest solution is often the right one), the sides can't agree on a value. When they agree on value, a deal will get done.  

Sure but it's like saying the sticking point is them not agreeing on how much money he should get.   Yep but I don't see who thinks otherwise -- water is wet and the sun rises everyday, i think we all agree on negotiation 101 stuff that is relevant to every negotiation. You are adding the comp part as if that is some big add but that's part of the standard negotiation, too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Agents are the players’ own worst enemies sometimes. They are greedy, looking for the highest payout because it means a bigger cut for themselves. I understand why, but it has really created an untenable market (the WR3 who is making $20 mill per year in Atlanta).

I agree about agents and the market but I bet if you polled NFL players they all want a "pitbull" agent because in reality they all want that money.  This is likely Terry's last big contract - he's 26 yo.  

Edited by HigSkin

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I agree about agents and the market but I bet if you polled NFL players they all want a "pitbull" agent because in reality they all want that money.  This is likely Terry's last big contract - he's 29 yo.  

He’s 26? 

12 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I said earlier this is on Ron. Period! I’m sure a big contract has Dan’s final say but I think the front office is just not efficient. 

Look at the JD situation. It’s not like the Bills offered him a huge contract but we didn’t offer him anything prior to him committing to the Bills. You can’t blame JD and luckily he changed his mind after we finally offered the same contract. 

This shows me the ineptness of the front office. Ron being defacto GM with Mayhew with the title just isn’t working!

The Bills (a Super Bowl favourite) offered JD a contract. The Commanders (a favourite to go 3-14 according to some) offered JD a similar contract. JD decided to accept our offer, and you conclude that this shows the ineptness of the front office, Ron in particular.

How could you possibly come to that conclusion? You asserted that he only changed his mind due to luck. How could you know that? and what does it even mean?

The front office have done a lot of dumbass things over the years, but signing McKissic, when he had an offer from the Bills on the table is not one of them.

Edited by London Kev
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Yeah I dont buy this at all. Yes Ron is in charge and head of football operations. And yes Ron has final say in all decisions. However, he also has two legitimate GMs in the building. One of which despite the Commanthers jokes built a roster that went 15-1 and was in the super bowl. Its not like the F/O is run by a bunch of idiots that have no clue whatsoever what they are doing despite what some would have you believe

I vary from you in that I do think there’s a chance they don’t really know what they’re doing in a roster construction sense, I just don’t think that specific Lombardo report about the FO wanting to pretend the FA WR contract didn’t happen makes any sense. 

24 minutes ago, London Kev said:

The Bills (a Super Bowl favourite) offered JD a contract. The Commanders (a favourite to go 3-14 according to some) offered JD a similar contract. JD decided to accept our offer, and you conclude that this shows the ineptness of the front office, Ron in particular.

How could you possibly come to that conclusion? You asserted that he only changed his mind due to luck. How could you know that? and what does it even mean?

The front office have done a lot of dumbass things over the years, but signing McKissic, when he had an offer from the Bills on the table is not one of them.

You are forgetting the context of that entire contract situation. The reason we look incompetent and the reason the Bills were pissed JD went with us is because we didn’t give him even a hint of a heads-up that we were actually interested in re-signing him. He had no idea we wanted him back and no offer was made until there was a contract to compare against. That’s ****ing stupid. It’s one thing to say “hey JD we’d love you back, why don’t you go see what you’re worth on the open market and if we can work it, we’ll match it if you’d like to stay with us. We really want you back”. That isn’t what happened and it was silly. Just another example of these arbitrary timelines our FO uses. They couldn’t even let the guy or his agent know that we wanted him back, even if there were no numbers involved?? Makes us look unorganized and stubborn. JD and his agent had no idea we wanted him back until we offered to match the Bills offer. That’s not how it’s supposed to work, you’re supposed to have the “home field advantage” of year-round communication with your in-house FA’s and we threw that away. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, dyst said:

Pathetically inept organization. What is the point for any player to devote themselves to this team

At least they're getting paid and living out the dream of playing in the NFL. I find myself more often wondering what is the point for any fan to devote themselves to this team. 

Other than being a glutton for punishment, of course. 

Looking at the bigger picture around the league regarding WR's I'm starting to think that signing Terry to a long term deal is far from a slam dunk. Tyreek Hill, Devonte Adams and AJ Brown have all had to change teams to get their big checks and that tells me something. Maybe teams don't want to commit that kind of money to WR's? If KC, Tennessee and Green Bay can let their stud WR's go we may wanna brace ourselves for that happening here if Terry's agent asks for the moon and stars. 

• Like 1

I don’t want to rehash the JD McKissic thing, but it’s one of the reasons why I think the big criticism of the FO is they can only do one thing at a time.  

What you heard from Martin was they were not going to re-sign their guys until after the QB situation was compete, but they wanted them to stay in touch and keep them informed.

So my guess, they told all the agents that, then forgot about them and turned their attention to QBs and the draft.  

And they were  caught off guard when JD agreed to a deal without checking with them first.

I agree with @Conn .  It made us look like fools.  

It’s also one of the reasons why I’m entertaining the off season schedule is entirely set by Ron.  

It might not be.  But there is evidence to suggest it is. 

Ron and this FO don't seem to sweat this stuff, which is a huge problem. 

I don't think Ron, in particular, feels like he has any sense of urgency. He's wrong and should be wrong. This is year three and something bigger is (or should be) expected. He seems far too comfortable with the actual player and playing side of things, which is supposed to be his biggest concern. The entire coaching staff is already suspect enough, but there is a lack of talent, they can't prioritize keeping the talent they have and he just seems to chill about all of it in his third year. He's way too comfortable for someone in his position.

Edited by ntotoro

43 minutes ago, Conn said:

You are forgetting the context of that entire contract situation. The reason we look incompetent and the reason the Bills were pissed JD went with us is because we didn’t give him even a hint of a heads-up that we were actually interested in re-signing him. He had no idea we wanted him back and no offer was made until there was a contract to compare against. That’s ****ing stupid. It’s one thing to say “hey JD we’d love you back, why don’t you go see what you’re worth on the open market and if we can work it, we’ll match it if you’d like to stay with us. We really want you back”. That isn’t what happened and it was silly. Just another example of these arbitrary timelines our FO uses. They couldn’t even let the guy or his agent know that we wanted him back, even if there were no numbers involved?? Makes us look unorganized and stubborn. JD and his agent had no idea we wanted him back until we offered to match the Bills offer. That’s not how it’s supposed to work, you’re supposed to have the “home field advantage” of year-round communication with your in-house FA’s and we threw that away. 

But the fact that JD came back to Washington over going to a Super Bowl contender says something about this front office doesn't it?

59 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Looking at the bigger picture around the league regarding WR's I'm starting to think that signing Terry to a long term deal is far from a slam dunk. Tyreek Hill, Devonte Adams and AJ Brown have all had to change teams to get their big checks and that tells me something. Maybe teams don't want to commit that kind of money to WR's? If KC, Tennessee and Green Bay can let their stud WR's go we may wanna brace ourselves for that happening here if Terry's agent asks for the moon and stars. 

I don’t think there’s a chance we trade him. But at the end of the day, (it’s night, but also) Terry's massively valuable to the team for football and be in-football reasons. 

And, a team out there would have to be able to cough up a first round pick and sign Terry to the huge deal he wants. That seems to be unlikely.  The teams who could have done that have done it already.

Also, Metcalf and Deebo are both still out there.  Which is going to drive down the trade market.

I think the issue is McLaurin’s side is asking for top 5 WR money and the commanders are more comfortable with top 10 money.

Nothing I’ve heard indicates it won’t happen.

If Terry’s side honestly thought there was no chance, they would have asked for a trade.  Deebo asked for a trade months ago.  Metcalf is also holding out.

This class is tough because none of these guys were first rounders, they’re all very good but they aren’t Jerry Rice either.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

But the fact that JD came back to Washington over going to a Super Bowl contender says something about this front office doesn't it?

It says something different about it, yes.  It doesn’t cancel out what the rest of the situation says about how they could be conducting business more efficiently. Players like to play for Rivera, that’s one of his biggest selling points. It isn’t going to make me stop seeing flaws in the FO when they show up 

56 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

As much as I love Terry, he is by no means “untradeable”.  If a fair offer comes in…

53 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Ron and this FO don't seem to sweat this stuff, which is a huge problem. 

I don't think Ron, in particular, feels like he has any sense of urgency. He's wrong and should be wrong. This is year three and something bigger is (or should be) expected. He seems far too comfortable with the actual player and playing side of things, which is supposed to be his biggest concern. The entire coaching staff is already suspect enough, but there is a lack of talent, they can't prioritize keeping the talent they have and he just seems to chill about all of it in his third year. He's way too comfortable for someone in his position.

I'm not sure that's a fair criticism of Ron.  He came out and said this had to be a "big step forward" year, just like in Carolina, and said it right after the season.  He has put a lot of pressure on himself, through both his actions and his words.

Look, it comes down to this:  He believes, rightly or wrongly, they basically had no chance to be the team they wanted to be once Fitz went down. He really likes the team they have.  He said over and over they weren't going after FAs because they like the guys they have.  They are young and developing.  

Last year, they went out and got Samuel and WJIII.  Samuel was a wash for health reasons, and WJIII looks like a complete mis-fire at this point.  Logan Paulsen has said he hasn't looked great in OTAs yet this year either. so THAT is a concern.  But they can't really do anything about that at the moment.  

Ron believes they were a QB and maturity issue away last year from having a really good team.  He is comfortable with the coaching staff.

This year, they have a much better QB than the one who played all of last year.  They should have a lot better continuity on defense.  Baring any news today, they should have Samuel back, and they have a whole bunch of weapons on offense.

Ron feels like he has the team to win.  Is he right?  I don't know. But it's clear they weren't just going to go out and do things to do things.  (As an aside, do you know who used to go out to do things just to do things?  Dan Snyder.)

I posted this earlier, we've been screaming for YEARS for the team to build through the draft and be measured in FA.  Well, we've done that:

(Notable players we've drafted who are either starters or primary backups)

RB: Gibson, Patterson, Robinson

WR: Terry, Dotson, D.Brown, Cam Sims

OL: Rouiller, Cosmi, Lucas

TE: Bates, Turner, Reyes (if he makes the team)

DL: Sweat, Allen, Payne, Young

LB: Holcomb, Davis

CB: Fuller (Granted, they re-signed him), St. Juice, Danny Johnson

S: Butler, Curl, Forrest

Notable FA/Trades:  Wentz, Samuel, WJIII

Other FA which have worked out but weren't big dollar acquisitions:  Logan Thomas, McKissic, Lucas, Leno, Norwell, Wes Schweitzer

I'm forgetting some folks, I'm sure. But the point is, we've been doing a pretty good job bringing folks in and building the team. Some of these guys were here before Ron, others after Ron.  

But it seems like everybody is panicking because they want the team to dump the guys they have brought in to develop and go bring in other guys to replace them.  

Sure, there are nits to pick.  They could have done more in different spots.  

But overall, they're doing what we have said we want them to do, and they're being crushed for it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

As much as I love Terry, he is by no means “untradeable”.  If a fair offer comes in…

He’s the closest thing to untradeable on this team.  There’s a huge whole there without him.  A top 12 or so player at his position is a big deal.  And the only reason people are skeptical about his talent is because of the QB’s he’s played with.

5 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

I'll say it again..

You don't rebrand and then trade away your star of the rebrand. Not only is it bad for business it makes you looking freaking stupid. No way in hell he gets traded.

BUT....making themselves look stupid is exactly what they do best.  They're at Maven-level proportions on that front.  No one in the all of WORLD SPORTS does it better than Danny's disOrganization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

If that is exactly how it all played out and there was absolutely no communication with JD until after the Bills offer, then you've made some fair points and I may have been a little harsh towards @skinsfan93.

Obviously, if it was communicated to JD in any way that we would like the opportunity to match any offer he receives, then the situation looks a little different.

To get this back on topic, thankfully they've let Terry know that he's wanted and they want to work out a deal, so hopefully it gets done soon.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think we forget what this organization is and get carried away talking about it as if it's normal.  I get it, we all do it - but all of our opinions, criticism, etc. should be colored by what we know about the state of this franchise.

Should Ron's seat be hot?  In normal places, yeah.  Here? Hell no - we are dealing with drama of epic proportion, the last thing anyone needs is Dan Snyder firing and attempting to overhaul this joint again.

Is Terry tradeable? I guess everyone is if the price is right - but I don't see what sense it makes to avoid paying him big $ and gamble on drafting a comparable player and waiting for them to develop.  As to how this is handled differently 'because Ashburn', this team is in the middle of a very ho-hum branding change - the last thing they can afford to do is let one of the only face of the franchise go.  Beyond that, Ron needs Terry now, not a hope and a prayer to develop a player like him later.  

It's silly to discard any narrative that points back to Dan's ineptitude playing some role in what ails us.  He's the common denominator in all of our failures in the past, just because we can't see his problems, doesn't mean they aren't prevalent in Ashburn.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1