Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

18 minutes ago, Conn said:

They almost have to overpay McLaurin the way they’ve used him as the face of the rebrand. 

That's probably true to an extent in that his comp would tend to be AJ Brown vs DJ Moore.

I'd assume both sides would be good with a 4yr 100M. The sticking points of guaranteed money and signing bonus would be the arguments. 

In theory that deal could get done quickly. That would be my guess, that McLaurin's deal gets done before the Allen deal was completed last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:19 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Probably?

Wentz is unquestionably the best QB he’s played with snd it’s not close. Keenum, McCoy, Haskins (RIP), One Leg Alex, 16 plays of Fitzy, and TH.

Thats awful.

Even if Wentz is the 19th best QB in the league (I thinK he’s better than that) all the rest of the options are 25+ at best.  And a few shouldn’t ever play, they are backups….

Only reason I said probably is because of Alex Smith whom some people tend to think was pretty damn good at times.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

Only reason I said probably is because of Alex Smith whom some people tend to think was pretty damn good at times.

Alex Smith was good at times but was so limited.  He really was just an average game manager in 2020.  He really only had about 3 halves of good football. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, TheShredder said:

That's probably true to an extent in that his comp would tend to be AJ Brown vs DJ Moore.

I'd assume both sides would be good with a 4yr 100M. The sticking points of guaranteed money and signing bonus would be the arguments. 

In theory that deal could get done quickly. That would be my guess, that McLaurin's deal gets done before the Allen deal was completed last year.

I've been using Stephon Diggs as a comp, but AJ Brown or DJ Moore would both work.

Brown got more, but more of it is likely funny money:

image.thumb.png.5ea51e9ba1d0af716cc9e06d400fc618.png

You can see, he has a really low 2022 cap number, but they are paying him $24M in cash.  That's good for both sides.  What sticks out like a sore thumb is the last year the salary jumps 100% from the previous year, is not guaranteed, and he carries a $37M cap hit, but only an $8M hit to release him.  He will NEVER see the 2026 numbers on this contract.  He will be extended or released before then. Without the 2026 numbers, the AAV is not $25M.  If I did the math right, he carries a total base salary of $37.5M, a Signing Bonus of $23.2M, an "Option Bonus" of $10.1M.  Minus 2026, his AAV is ~$17M.

There is no reason the Commanders couldn't give McLaurin this exact same deal.  Like, identical.  

They could do the DJ Moore contract also. The big difference between the 2 contracts, Brown has an extra year in his which is MASSIVELY inflated.  Moore does not.  I'd argue Moore's AAV of $19M over his contract is actually HIGHER than Brown's because there is literally no way Brown plays on the last year of that deal, so you can almost exclude it from the contract.  

Either one of these contracts could be a perfectly legitimate comp.  And I'd be fine with either contract.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They could do the DJ Moore contract also. The big difference between the 2 contracts, Brown has an extra year in his which is MASSIVELY inflated.  Moore does not.  I'd argue Moore's AAV of $19M over his contract is actually HIGHER than Brown's because there is literally no way Brown plays on the last year of that deal, so you can almost exclude it from the contract. 

Yea, I think it's laughable when they inflate contracts like this. Almost like they're playing to the players ego, to the players detriment. Months ago I pointed to DJ Moore's contract as a starting point. Market volatility directly affects market price. This penalizes slow to the table negotiations. They should have given McLaurin the Moore deal as soon as that happened. I'd still stick with 100M 4yr extension in one form or another, but the outlying unknown is if contract length is an issue. McLaurin might want to have an out in 2 years in case Wentz isn't there and WSH is back to square one.

I really wish we know what was going on behind closed doors. The longer this drags out the more our imaginations darken. Hopefully, they are on the phone every day, getting closer. Hopefully, there is already a handshake deal that they are waiting on for some legitimate reason.

If not or if it really is only about liquidity then Snyder if he loves his childhood team needs to bring in partners or sell the team. Mind you, if he loves his childhood team then right now the best thing he could do for it is to sell it for any number of reasons.

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

The Rams looking after another of there own, Aaron Donald gets 65m over next 2 years guaranteed. While Snyder, Rivera and Co are still ******* about with signing McClaurin to a LTD 😠😠😠

This very front office took care of their own just before training camp last year. Two of them. Remember?

Relax. It will get done. 

Would be stupid not to explore all trade options for Terry looking at what KC and GB got for Hill/Adams, both needing new contracts.

Unfortunately this franchise has been worse then stupid in the past and we can all imagine a scenario where Terry walks and we somehow get nothing. 

38 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Would be stupid not to explore all trade options for Terry looking at what KC and GB got for Hill/Adams, both needing new contracts.

Unfortunately this franchise has been worse then stupid in the past and we can all imagine a scenario where Terry walks and we somehow get nothing. 

That was under a different group though. Under this current staff, they’ve re-signed Jon Allen and Logan Thomas (i dont blame them for the Brandon scherff thing, they offered to make him the highest paid guard and he refused) 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I’ll never understand how the salary cap works. We have to pinch pennies for a chance to sign McLaurin, but the Rams can just sign Donald to a massive contract like nothing. 

I agree! Rams gave Stafford a huge extension ($40 mil per)  and now Donald. They signed Wagner and Allen Robinson to big FA deals and we can’t get Terry signed?  WTF?! This delay is sending the WRONG message to the players who’s contracts are coming up. 

Snyder get your finances straightened out and pay the man!

11 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I’ll never understand how the salary cap works. We have to pinch pennies for a chance to sign McLaurin, but the Rams can just sign Donald to a massive contract like nothing. 

They've just perfected the Snyderatto build plan from 20 years ago. It'll work if you know what you are doing. Naturally, Vinny and Dan were amateurs.

3 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

We don't have to.  We have plenty of space.  

However, let's look at the Aaron Donald contract real quick, it's illuminating:

image.thumb.png.e47192229b3c4efd21830a948214cff9.png

1. he gets $31M cash money this season, which is his entire signing bonus ($25M) + roster bonus +  base salary.  However, his cap his is "only" $24M. 

2. biggest cap hit of the contract is next year, $38M.  

3. If he plays out his contract, the Rams will take 2 $11.6M cap hits in 2025 and 2026 when he's no longer on the team.  

So, they're punting $22M of his salary cap hit into voided years.  You can tell they are voided (they automatically void the last day of the 2024 league year) because they have no salary.

This has become the trend for the Rams and the Saints.  Maybe some others.  Punt cap hits into 2025 and 2026.  All of the new Saints contracts I looked at (except Jarvis Landry) have cap hits in 2025 and 2026 when the players are no longer on the team.

Now, should we be doing that?  I say "not yet."  

Two reasons:

1.  The Ram's window to win the SB is now.  Evidence: they just did.  They know they can't keep the band together forever, Stafford will get old, and at some point, they're going to have to tear the whole thing down and rebuild.  But that's probably 2-3 years away.  So, punt everything out to when you're going to suck, and compete now.  

We're not in that boat.  IF we go 11-6, 12-5 this year, then sure, start back-loading contracts into 2026 20207 and start loading up.  You WILL have to pay that bill.  But you don't have to do it now.

2. They want to sign Terry, maybe Payne, Holcomb, Curl (next year), Sweat and Young to extensions.  Those extensions will start to kick in next year and into 2025/2026.  So, spending that money now means it's harder to get a Chase Young deal done in 2 years.  

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

They've just perfected the Snyderatto build plan from 20 years ago. It'll work if you know what you are doing. Naturally, Vinny and Dan were amateurs.

That's actually not entirely the right criticism. 

Eric Schaffer did all the contract stuff and was a master of it. ( Also, the rules have changed with subsequent CBAs)  So let's not throw poor Eric Schaffer under the bus.  It would break Chris Russell's heart.  

The problem isn't the 'Skins didn't know how to manipulate the cap, they absolutely did.  In fact, some of the principals Schaffer used first are still being used. He was widely seen as revolutionary in this regard.  

That wasn't the problem.

The problem is the players they picked to use it on.  THAT is where Vinny and Dan screwed up.  They signed ARE, Adam Archuletta, and AH.  (To name a few debacles.)

The Rams signed Stafford and Aaron Donald. (And a whole bunch of others)

I'd argue the Rams are no better at manipulating the cap than we were.  We just picked the wrong players.  And yeah, you can absolutely pile on Vinny and Dan for that.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's actually not entirely the right criticism. 

The problem is the players they picked to use it on. 

I said it in several fewer paragraphs (:P), and I thought it was obvious what I meant.

Archuleta, Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, Deion/Carrier/Smith, Trotter, etc are not even close to Ramsey, Miller, Stafford, Donald, Robinson/Beckham. Snyderatto just threw darts at the wall of former Pro Bowlers (hence why they were called Fantasy Footballers by some of us). Rams seem to know wtf they are doing by signing those guys who continue being great. The Redskins just got Fletcher, Springs, C Grif, and a few other good ones over the years while wasting 1/2 their cap on garbage.

Remember that Portis contract? He probably got paid almost 20 years ago more, or close to it, than RB's make now in 2022. 

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I said it in several fewer paragraphs (:P), and I thought it was obvious what I meant.

Archuleta, Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, Deion/Carrier/Smith, Trotter, etc are not even close to Ramsey, Miller, Stafford, Donald, Robinson/Beckham. Snyderatto just threw darts at the wall of former Pro Bowlers (hence why they were called Fantasy Footballers by some of us). Rams seem to know wtf they are doing by signing those guys who continue being great. The Redskins just got Fletcher, Springs, C Grif, and a few other good ones over the years while wasting 1/2 their cap on garbage.

Remember that Portis contract? He probably got paid almost 20 years ago more, or close to it, than RB's make now in 2022. 

Ok, fair.  I thought you were saying they didn't know how to manipulate the cap. Which, Eric Schaffer did.

What they didn't know how to do was pick the players to do it on.  The roster construction was ridiculous.  They just picked pieces with names and thought they would all work together like a fantasy football team.

Btw, you forgot Bruce Smith and Jeff George 

31 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/06/daniel-snyder-roger-goodell-requested-to-testify-at-house-oversight-committee-hearing

I wonder if Synder possibly having to testify in front of Congress will delay Terry signing. Obviously there’s rumors of Synder being pushed out so that could complicate any huge signing probably. 

At the end of the day, sadly, Snyder won't be pushed out and the congressional hearing will have nothing to do with Terry's contract.  

And Snyder won't testify unless he's subpoenaed.  Nor will Rodger.  

57 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think Roger might. He has before. I don't think Snynder will unless forced.

Hopefully they Debartolo his ass!!!

They even kinda look related.

Just another reason!

Debartolo's "**** Please" face

920x920.jpg

Snyder's "I got more Vanilla Ice Cream" face

OIP.iqeVDvk8P4Q-GEDLNE2piwHaEK?pid=ImgDe

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1