Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

PFF Rankings: The NFL's top 25 wide receivers ahead of the 2020 NFL season

13. TERRY MCLAURIN, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

McLaurin had one of the biggest surprise rookie seasons in recent memory last year. The former third-round pick earned an 86.5 receiving grade, sixth in the league, but it was also the second-best grade we have ever given to a rookie wide receiver. He is an advanced route-runner who can separate downfield at a high rate — he generated separation at the sixth-highest rate in the league on targets of 10-plus yards downfield against single coverage last year. McLaurin averaged 2.05 yards per route run last year, 14th among wide receivers, and he did that despite seeing the second-lowest rate of accurate targets among rookie wide receivers. If Dwayne Haskins can take that next step forward, McLaurin figures to be a force to be reckoned with in Washington.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-the-nfls-top-25-wide-receivers-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Noone stacks 8 in the box against our run game.

That's true until Bryce Love takes it to the house...then enter Gibson on play action...mix in Simms Jr breaking dig routes...it's all about play-calling and play-makers.  When there's predictable play-calling there's no play-makers. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/08/12/terry-mclaurin-fishing-dwayne-haskins

Good read about Terry.

Talks a bit about Haskins:

“I’ve been around Dwayne since he’s come to Ohio State, so I’ve known him for a while and he’s going to be the first to tell you that he’s not making any excuses for last year. The way he’s attacked this offseason has been different than I’ve ever seen him attack football. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t working hard, it’s just a different kind of focus. He lost some really good weight, he put on some muscle. He just looks really good. Hungry. I feel like coming from Ohio State, everything was great. He was the Big 10 record holder of this and that. It was all peaches and roses and now you hit a little adversity and you gotta step back and readjust. I feel like he’s done that. This offense is going to be great for him and me.”

but mostly about how he got to enjoy fishing during quarantine:

"The most important thing he learned: You can have all the right equipment but until you work the bait the correct way, and master the subtleties of the rod, you’re not going to be able to catch any fish. He thought about this a lot during the offseason, along with the concept of patience and how it relates to both fishing and football. The parallels were pretty obvious. There can be a peculiarity in the defense that forces targets away from you all game before a breakthrough."

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

but mostly about how he got to enjoy fishing during quarantine:

"The most important thing he learned: You can have all the right equipment but until you work the bait the correct way, and master the subtleties of the rod, you’re not going to be able to catch any fish."

"Hold my beer." -- AGG, master of everything he tries.

Edited by GothSkinsFan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mistertim said:

If Haskins continues his upward trend from last season and the offense works well for the players we have, I think Terry will be considered top 5 at this time next year. 

Whoa… That is a take Zombie finds hard to swallow.

The QBs who threw to the top five

Ryan, Brees, Watson, Mahomes, Winston

For the most part, Haskins would probably have to break into the top 10 of QBs to give Mclaurin a chance at top 5 placement.  I love Mclaurin’s prospect at jumping up the list, but I’m not sure I’d go up to 5.

Who do you have getting bumped? Even the players with new QBs this year figure to be featured prominently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Whoa… That is a take Zombie finds hard to swallow.

The QBs who threw to the top five

Ryan, Brees, Watson, Mahomes, Winston

For the most part, Haskins would probably have to break into the top 10 of QBs to give Mclaurin a chance at top 5 placement.  I love Mclaurin’s prospect at jumping up the list, but I’m not sure I’d go up to 5.

Who do you have getting bumped? Even the players with new QBs this year figure to be featured prominently.

That's a fair point, and I guess it depends on how they rank guys. Is it purely based on raw numbers, is it based on more complex metrics like DVOA? 

But even with the crappy QB carousel and the crappy coaching carousel last season, Terry still managed almost 1,000 yards and 7 TDs in 14 games and had more yards than almost all of our other receiving options combined. If Terry stays with that level of focus in this offense, and if Haskins takes a step forward, I could see him with 1200+ yards and 10+ TDs. That plus his really good advanced metrics should put him up closer to the top IMO.

But you're correct...those current top 5 are really good AND have really good QBs throwing to them. (Though I still think Michael Thomas is a little overrated).

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Why on earth would the Browns let him go for a 3rd round pick? 

He hasn’t been that OBJ they thought they were getting since he was a 2nd year player imo. Still good but I don’t think he’s in that stud tier anymore. I was just talking out of my ass anyways but I could see him on the move, and for less than they paid, next offseason. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That’s perfect bc he seems like a guy we might trade a 3rd and future 5th for 7 months from now.

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

At first I thought he was talking about us trading TMac for a 3rd, etc. Lol

Because if you look at our history ; Trent Williams, etc...that actually lines up with it.

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I touched on that in another thread a while back. Cliff notes version

-Browns have a lot of money on the books next yr and will likely be well over the shrinking cap

-OBJ’s contract has no guaranteed money remaining. He will want a new deal.

-There is no way the new Head coach can handle all the personalities on that team

-I’ll bet the Browns will dumpster fire again

OBJ looks like a prime candidate to both be cut or traded next year. Should tank his trade value a good bit. I think out of a lot of potential WR targets for Wash, he is high on the probability list. Most of the best WRs hitting free agency are coming from the teams with the most cap space. Our target will likely be via trade, or picking up someone that is cut.

All of this is next yr though. In the meantime we are just pushing up daisies (Zombie Pun)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He hasn’t been that OBJ they thought they were getting since he was a 2nd year player imo. Still good but I don’t think he’s in that stud tier anymore. I was just talking out of my ass anyways but I could see him on the move, and for less than they paid, next offseason. 

That's true in general, but he did put up over 1,000 yards last season...though he only had 4 TDs. This has been talked about before but I don't think OBJ ever took it to that next level when it came to preparation, route running, etc. after he was getting by for his first couple of years on his pure (admittedly crazy) talent. 

32 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I touched on that in another thread a while back. Cliff notes version

-Browns have a lot of money on the books next yr and will likely be well over the shrinking cap

-OBJ’s contract has no guaranteed money remaining. He will want a new deal.

-There is no way the new Head coach can handle all the personalities on that team

-I’ll bet the Browns will dumpster fire again

OBJ looks like a prime candidate to both be cut or traded next year. Should tank his trade value a good bit. I think out of a lot of potential WR targets for Wash, he is high on the probability list. Most of the best WRs hitting free agency are coming from the teams with the most cap space. Our target will likely be via trade, or picking up someone that is cut.

All of this is next yr though. In the meantime we are just pushing up daisies (Zombie Pun)

Yeah I suppose if the Browns are a dumpster fire this year I could see them parting ways with him. When they got him they believed they were on their way then things imploded last season. Also true that they they don't have any guaranteed money in him, but I think they'd take a cap hit if they parted ways with him this season.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing them let him go for anything less than a 2nd + other picks and/or players, seeing as they gave up a 1st and 3rd for him. But I suppose anything is possible. I certainly wouldn't want to part with a 1st for him but I'd probably be ok with a 2nd...certainly with a 3rd. 

Another question is whether we want the headache of having him. He's certainly not AB level of headcase but he's still a pain in the ass diva. Though I'm guessing RR would be able to deal with him as he's dealt with a prima donna for years with Cam. 

19 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Funny thing about Terry’s presser, is that he likes fishing, despite being allergic to seafood.  Never been fishing myself, does seem like something everyone should try.

Could be one of those things he picked up during lockdown. Seems like the perfect hobby under those circumstances.

He and Scherff could be fishing buddies.

• Like 1

If hes bass fishing its strictly the competition aspect of it that draws guys and gals in..catching the most, catching the biggest. If he's tournament fishing...thats just pure skill/knowledge/luck based gambling. Greatest thing mankind has ever invented.....bass tournament

Edited by Gibbit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Funny thing about Terry’s presser, is that he likes fishing, despite being allergic to seafood.  Never been fishing myself, does seem like something everyone should try.

Are you serious?..you mean you have never hooked on to a halibut 300 feet deep in the ocean and got to reel it in?..or hooked on to a steel head salmon and faught it to the bank?..your missing out man

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Are you serious?..you mean you have never hooked on to a halibut 300 feet deep in the ocean and got to reel it in?..or hooked on to a steel head salmon and faught it to the bank?..your missing out man

Well, you're missin out if you never fought over a salmon, with a 600 pound grizzly with MMA skills...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

No headcases--especially on this young team.

Is he still a head case, since he's asking TMac for advise on how to play better football? Maybe being a #2 on a competitive team with great structure and discipline could be a good spot after a humbling stint with the Browns.

• Like 1