Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I get what you're saying, but I think McLaurin already is more versatile and dangerous than Garcon, while Sims doesn't have the raw speed, ball tracking or concentration on balls to be DJax necessarily...but he can be something else entirely and have a very important role imo. He's not a take the top off the D type of guy necessarily, he'll do more damage with YAC. I think he can be what we all wished Crowder would grow into IF he reaches his ceiling and gets enough targets/touches. 

Agree. McLaurin is already a bit like a combination of Garcon and Djax. Sims is nothing like the deep threat DJax was. He’s not a similar player at all, IMHO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Agree. McLaurin is already a bit like a combination of Garcon and Djax. Sims is nothing like the deep threat DJax was. He’s not a similar player at all, IMHO

Right. Sims is smaller and short-armed and right now has some concentration drops when he's already thinking about his next move in traffic--and that's because what he DOES have is extremely explosive and instinctual ability after the catch. He doesn't have that elite long speed, but he's a really twitchy athlete in space. He's the jitterbug YAC slot guy we've wanted for years, if he keeps developing and making plays. That's extremely exciting and a different kind of gamebreaker than DJax. He won't be used the same way but he can still stress defenses if used correctly, which is what matters. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He doesn't have that elite long speed,

I'm not sure I'd say that.

He probably can't track a ball in the air like djax can (very few can) and that is why he may never be a huge deep ball threat and certainly not likely to be on his level but I dont think its speed.

Sims didn't go to the combine and I can't seem to find an official 40 time from his pro day but what I did find was an estimate in the low 4.3's

What I do know is when he broke out last year he was gone.

Sims is not only twitchy he's lightning fast in a straight line too.

But obviously there are several other traits that make up the best receivers or they'd all be former Olympic track stars. 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sims ran a 4.5 something IIRC

I cant seem to find anything that lists a 40 time for him other that an article that says this.

• 4.35 40-time (maybe a 4.30 that needs bumped to a 4.35 because of the Pro Day fudge factor)
  • 1.49 10-yard split
  • 6.7s for a three-cone
  • 5’9”/5’10” and 180 +/-pounds.
  • Hoping he has 9”+ hands.

44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sims ran a 4.5 something IIRC.  He's not an open field burner.  He's a short striding jitterbug like Conn described.  His specialty is his creativity after the catch, and he'll get his via the first and second levels and the return game.

Didn't he run back 2 very long kicks - I think one was called back.

He sure looked like he was burning past everyone on those, and not just relying on quick jitterbug moves.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I cant seem to find anything that lists a 40 time for him other that an article that says this.

• 4.35 40-time (maybe a 4.30 that needs bumped to a 4.35 because of the Pro Day fudge factor)
  • 1.49 10-yard split
  • 6.7s for a three-cone
  • 5’9”/5’10” and 180 +/-pounds.
  • Hoping he has 9”+ hands.

Those look like speculative numbers.  He ran a 4.50 and a 4.57 at his pro-day.  His three cone was 7.12 but the 1.49 ten yard split guess was close--he ran a 1.5.  That illustrates the point that he's quicker than fast.  Here's the chart from Kansas's 2019 proday: http://www2.kusports.com/documents/2019/mar/27/ku-football-pro-day-results-2019/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be looking at Sims to stretch the field yet completely... yet, but I don't think it's out of the question

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2pvaG5rZWltcmVwb3J0LmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/ZmUzMWMwMzEtMzQ2Yy00MGE0LWFhNDMtM2M1MTM4N2MxYWUw?hl=en&ep=6

Keim had 'WR guru' David Robinson on who works with a bunch of NFL pros and he likes Steve Sims Jr A LOT.  Here's the description of the podcast:

WR guru David Robinson has been working with Steven Sims and sees him as the next Tyreek Hill. Plus an update on the future of Dez Bryant, Jordan Reed and Antonio Brown.

I really REALLY want us to be using Sims like KC used Hill a few years back, with Gibson acting as our version of Kareem Hunt with a more shared workload.  

I am very excited about the physical speed we have at WR now.  Terry Mclaurin appears to have the talent level to reach ELITE separation skills at this level.  I don't think hes there yet, he's still in the really REALLY damn good category.  I want to see him used the same way Pittsburgh used Antonio Brown where he played basically all 3 wr positions.  I think Mclaurin has the smarts and abilities to execute that.  Sims to me is an x-factor.  Like i mentioned, a Tyreek Hill type.  I want him moved around, put in motion... WR screens, shovel passes, jet sweeps, anything we can do to get him the ball and let him work.  He's got really good vision and change of direction.  The guy in the Keim piece said Sims may not have 4.3 speed, but his 4.5 speed is very consistent which helps his game speed be better... i'm kind of paraphrasing what I remember when i listened to it yesterday.  

I hope we really utilize our guys to set up matchups, even for the others.  If we can manipulate the defense so that Harmon and AGG are on smaller CBs while slot guys and LBs are trying to keep up with T-mac, Sims, and Gibson.... the mismatches can be awesome for us.  

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Those look like speculative numbers.  He ran a 4.50 and a 4.57 at his pro-day.  His three cone was 7.12 but the 1.49 ten yard split guess was close--he ran a 1.5.  That illustrates the point that he's quicker than fast.  Here's the chart from Kansas's 2019 proday: http://www2.kusports.com/documents/2019/mar/27/ku-football-pro-day-results-2019/

People are seeing what they want to see. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Didn't he run back 2 very long kicks - I think one was called back.

He sure looked like he was burning past everyone on those, and not just relying on quick jitterbug moves.

Someone smarter than me could probably explain the physics of the vectors and acceleration to give you the reason why, but creating space on something like a kick return where the coverage is coming downhill towards a runner with the ball is a different skill set than creating space on something like a deep vertical route where the coverage is running beside you.  Your path is predictable on a vertical pass pattern and it's more of a long distance foot race as the motions you make to fool the coverage are very small and efficient compared to what you can do on an open field run.  Put another way, you don't get as much benefit from being able to do really rapid changes of direction and speed on vertical routes, whereas on a kick return or screen or a run through the middle of a defense after a first or second level catch, that kind of talent is pretty much everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I really REALLY want us to be using Sims like KC used Hill a few years back, with Gibson acting as our version of Kareem Hunt with a more shared workload.  

I can see some room for a Tyreek Hill-like role for Sims, but I think that's too much to put on him.  A pretty big part of what makes Hill so great is that back breaking vertical route element from both the slot and outside alignments.  I'm not sure Sims is best suited for that kind of downfield role. 

One of the cool things that football-reference started tracking in 2018 was advanced rushing and receiving metrics, and you can find this on any ball carrier's individual page on their database.  They keep track of yards before and after contact for rushes, and yards before and after the catch for receptions.  The last two seasons, Tyreek Hill has a ratio of about 2:1 in terms of yards before catch (yards the ball travels in the air before the reception) to yards after the catch.  Last season, Sims actually had a bit more yards after the catch than before the catch, but that's a small sample and my guess is his ratio will normally be a little over 1:1 with a proper season's worth of stats.

That speaks to them having meaningfully different roles/skill sets.  Sims's role could be something a little bit more like JuJu Smith-Schuster I think.  Sims as more of a make-you-miss quick slot than a run-you-over big slot in the JuJu comparison, as he doesn't have JuJu's size and power, but the acceleration and creativity after the catch and the ability to pile up production from the slot as a first and second level target is similar.

This might be a little crazy, but it could be interesting to line him up in the backfield as a pass catching running back too.  I could see him being good in a James White-like role in addition to playing in the slot.  Could be another good way to get him the ball with room to run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can see some room for a Tyreek Hill-like role for Sims, but I think that's too much to put on him.  A pretty big part of what makes Hill so great is that back breaking vertical route element from both the slot and outside alignments.  I'm not sure Sims is best suited for that kind of downfield role. 

One of the cool things that football-reference started tracking in 2018 was advanced rushing and receiving metrics, and you can find this on any ball carrier's individual page on their database.  They keep track of yards before and after contact for rushes, and yards before and after the catch for receptions.  The last two seasons, Tyreek Hill has a ratio of about 2:1 in terms of yards before catch (yards the ball travels in the air before the reception) to yards after the catch.  Last season, Sims actually had a bit more yards after the catch than before the catch, but that's a small sample and my guess is his ratio will normally be a little over 1:1 with a proper season's worth of stats.

That speaks to them having meaningfully different roles/skill sets.  Sims's role could be something a little bit more like JuJu Smith-Schuster I think.  Sims as more of a make-you-miss quick slot than a run-you-over big slot in the JuJu comparison, as he doesn't have JuJu's size and power, but the acceleration and creativity after the catch and the ability to pile up production from the slot as a first and second level target is similar.

This might be a little crazy, but it could be interesting to line him up in the backfield as a pass catching running back too.  I could see him being good in a James White-like role in addition to playing in the slot.  Could be another good way to get him the ball with room to run.

I agree completely, i don't think he IS Tyreek Hill, i just want to use him that way, not confining him to just the slot.  I agree, i wouldn't mind him shifting him back into the backfield to get him isolated on an MLB, but i think Gibson is likely going to be that guy.  

Sims strikes me as someone who has really good vision, real quick feet, and gets to top speed very fast.  He may not have 4.3 speed, but if he's able to get to 4.5 speed faster than the defender, and stay at 4.5 speed longer, then it can really create some space and options.  I went back and looked at his highlights a little bit and the game vs Chicago we ran a few plays where Sims was basically in the backfield.  1 play he was put in motion, then reversed as he approached the middle of the line and the ball was snapped, he exploded out into the flat and caught the ball with room.  There was another play that he was basically lined up as an RB.  He also took a jet-sweep to the house in the preseason vs the Pats.  That's the kind of stuff i like to see from him.  It also will allow us to give Haskins a bit more time if the LBs and DEs have to hesitate knowing that if the ball is going to Sims, it's coming out FAST.  

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I am very excited about the physical speed we have at WR now.  Terry Mclaurin appears to have the talent level to reach ELITE separation skills at this level.  I don't think hes there yet, he's still in the really REALLY damn good category.  I want to see him used the same way Pittsburgh used Antonio Brown where he played basically all 3 wr positions.  I think Mclaurin has the smarts and abilities to execute that.  Sims to me is an x-factor.  Like i mentioned, a Tyreek Hill type.  I want him moved around, put in motion... WR screens, shovel passes, jet sweeps, anything we can do to get him the ball and let him work.  He's got really good vision and change of direction.  The guy in the Keim piece said Sims may not have 4.3 speed, but his 4.5 speed is very consistent which helps his game speed be better... i'm kind of paraphrasing what I remember when i listened to it yesterday.  

I hope we really utilize our guys to set up matchups, even for the others.  If we can manipulate the defense so that Harmon and AGG are on smaller CBs while slot guys and LBs are trying to keep up with T-mac, Sims, and Gibson.... the mismatches can be awesome for us.  

In terms of McLaurin, I don't know that he needs to play all 3 positions, but I think he'll play both outside positions and hopefully we do a good job of moving him around to exploit matchups. 

I think that given Turner's history, Sims is going to eat in the slot. You should be right. We can expect WR screens, shovel passes, jet sweeps, slants and short crossers. Nobody will confuse Sims with Tyreek Hill. Sims isn't going to run away from a defense at 23mph and nobody is ever going to ask themselves if Sims might be the fastest player in the NFL. He just doesn't have ELITE deep linear speed. He can still be very good for us, but a big part of what makes Tyreek Hill so good underneath IS his elite long speed. You have to give Tyreek some cushion and that gives him more space to work underneath. Sims isn't going to get as much space and doesn't have as much speed to run away from tight coverage. I have to say though, that I LOVE some of Sims' route running. He's going to be a very tough cover as he puts it all together. 

I don't think Kareem Hunt is a good model for Antonio Gibson. IMHO, Gibson should never be a work horse RB that runs the ball 272 times in a season. Especially not on a team with Guice. Guice, I actually could see in a Kareem Hunt role. I think Guice is a much better receiver than given credit for. 

The best case scenario for Gibson is that he's a rich man's Chris Thompson. In Thompson's only 16 game season he ran the ball 68 times for 356 yards and cought 49 balls for 349 yards. In the following season, Thompson nearly doubles his ypc going for 510 yards on 39 catches. Gibson doesn't have the injury history that Thompson did, and is much bigger, which hopefully will also lead to better durability. I'll also say that I think Gibson is more explosive than Chris Thompson, if anything. The other area that Chris Thompson was excellent however was in pass protection. Who knows how Gibson will look there. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I agree completely, i don't think he IS Tyreek Hill, i just want to use him that way, not confining him to just the slot.  I agree, i wouldn't him shifting him back into the backfield to get him isolated on an MLB, but i think Gibson is likely going to be that guy.   

He strikes me as someone who has really good vision, real quick feet, and gets to top speed very fast.  He may not have 4.3 speed, but if he's able to get to 4.5 speed faster than the defender, and stay at 4.5 speed longer, then it can really create some space and options.  I went back and looked at his highlights a little bit and the game vs Chicago we ran a few plays where Sims was basically in the backfield.  1 play he was put in motion, then reversed as he approached the middle of the line and the ball was snapped, he exploded out into the flat and caught the ball with room.  There was another play that he was basically lined up as an RB.  He also took a jet-sweep to the house in the preseason vs the Pats.  That's the kind of stuff i like to see from him.  It also will allow us to give Haskins a bit more time if the LBs and DEs have to hesitate knowing that if the ball is going to Sims, it's coming out FAST.   

I watched some highlights of James White and their running styles seemed similar to each other.  Little guys with tremendous balance and start-stop ability.  White is a little bigger and sturdier, but he's not as fast as Sims to my eye.  Sims runs with low pads and he's really hard to see behind lead blockers.  I think it's a great idea to get him opportunities to run behind lead blocks either by aligning him as a back or running sweeps/reverses and stuff like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

In terms of McLaurin, I don't know that he needs to play all 3 positions, but I think he'll play both outside positions and hopefully we do a good job of moving him around to exploit matchups. 

I think that given Turner's history, Sims is going to eat in the slot. You should be right. We can expect WR screens, shovel passes, jet sweeps, slants and short crossers. Nobody will confuse Sims with Tyreek Hill. Sims isn't going to run away from a defense at 23mph and nobody is ever going to ask themselves if Sims might be the fastest player in the NFL. He just doesn't have ELITE deep linear speed. He can still be very good for us, but a big part of what makes Tyreek Hill so good underneath IS his elite long speed. You have to give Tyreek some cushion and that gives him more space to work underneath. Sims isn't going to get as much space and doesn't have as much speed to run away from tight coverage. I have to say though, that I LOVE some of Sims' route running. He's going to be a very tough cover as he puts it all together. 

I don't think Kareem Hunt is a good model for Antonio Gibson. IMHO, Gibson should never be a work horse RB that runs the ball 272 times in a season. Especially not on a team with Guice. Guice, I actually could see in a Kareem Hunt role. I think Guice is a much better receiver than given credit for. 

The best case scenario for Gibson is that he's a rich man's Chris Thompson. In Thompson's only 16 game season he ran the ball 68 times for 356 yards and cought 49 balls for 349 yards. In the following season, Thompson nearly doubles his ypc going for 510 yards on 39 catches. Gibson doesn't have the injury history that Thompson did, and is much bigger, which hopefully will also lead to better durability. I'll also say that I think Gibson is more explosive than Chris Thompson, if anything. The other area that Chris Thompson was excellent however was in pass protection. Who knows how Gibson will look there. 

Yeah maybe not the best apples to apples comp.  I did say Kareem Hunt style with a more shared workload.  I don't want him carrying the ball 272 times.  I do agree that i want to see him be what we all wanted Chris Thompson to be... i don't think we used him the right way nearly often enough.  Gibson is another guy I want in space.  Something I wanted to see, but never go to, was multiple-rb sets.  I'm dreaming of Haskins flanked by Guice and Gibson on 3rd down.  The attention needed to be devoted to the backfield COULD be something scary... Gibson will obviously have to become a weapon, and he hasn't done anything... yet.  Plus Guice will need to be healthy.  That all said, defenses could seriously have trouble diagnosing who to focus on.  Mismatches, mismatches, mismatches.   That's the name of the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't think Kareem Hunt is a good model for Antonio Gibson. IMHO, Gibson should never be a work horse RB that runs the ball 272 times in a season.

Why not?  He's bigger than Hunt.  He has exceptional contact balance like Hunt.  He has more burst and shiftiness than Hunt.  If he proves he has the vision Hunt does, I see no reason why he should "never" be a work horse back.  Just because he hasn't yet been given the chance to prove he can do it, doesn't mean he can't do it.  

I don't expect to ever fully be able to rely on Guice, so I would love if Gibson proves he can be a work horse back in this league.

I think the comp not many are making with Gibson is David Johnson. Both 3rd round picks with workhorse size and great athleticism for their height/weight and BMI. In fact Gibson is a better athlete. But DJ caught 141 passes in college and yet still wasn't seen as an obvious workhorse candidate.

The big difference is that DJ had a ton of touches in college, at RB. He was much more of a known quantity and yet he was undervalued 6 years ago. Gibson is a late bloomer. I also think DJ was a bit more of a slasher than Gibson is, Gibson is more elusive and even faster, which shows in the insane efficiency he squeezed out of the limited touches he did receive.

So stylistically I'm not comparing their exact skill-sets. It's more about being 3rd round pedigreed athletes, big strong fast dudes of similar measurements who were known for being more dangerous and reliable in the passing game than most college RB prospects. 

I think partially this is bc DJ has fallen out of favor and has looked pretty washed after some injuries so he's no longer a sexy comp to make. But he's the closest comp I can think of for a freakishly athletic 6'1 nearly 230 lb receiving RB who can make plays on the ball downfield who nevertheless fell to the 3rd round. Gibson's "fall" can be blamed on a puzzling lack of usage in college, but really he should be looked at in the opposite way probably, as someone whose raw traits and big play ability made him a riser against all odds, rather than a faller. 

I'll just say it's rare that a guy with his size, speed, health, and receiving ability falls to the 3rd round and it's totally due to the fact that it's equally rare for someone with those plus traits to go so underutilized in college. That makes him a risk, but also RB is the position that requires the least experience to make an impact so I'll take the nearly pristine tread he's working with and just hope his college coaches were dummies who didn't totally realize what they had until it was too late.

Edit: Kenyan Drake more recently may be another interesting look at the way he could be used in the NFL, but I like how Gibson's built to hold up in the NFL.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

IIRC Gibson was a JUCO transfer.  That would explain why he doesn't have a ton of college snaps.  He also transferred to a school with a couple of NFL RBs in front of him on the depth chart in Darrell Henderson, Tony Pollard, and Patrick Taylor plus Gainwell is on track for the NFL.  Hard for a JUCO to crack the lineup at a school that has multiple guys with NFL ability who've been there since freshman.  That's why he probably had to get his snaps at receiver.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:36 AM, OVCChairman said:

Sims strikes me as someone who has really good vision, real quick feet, and gets to top speed very fast.  He may not have 4.3 speed, but if he's able to get to 4.5 speed faster than the defender, and stay at 4.5 speed longer, then it can really create some space and options. 

I'm pretty sure Sims ran a 4.3 forty, he's pretty fast. I see I missed some posts saying that as well. Just watch him play and he is blowing by people, he is not a 4.5 guy, people cannot catch him.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

50 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I'm pretty sure Sims ran a 4.3 forty, he's pretty fast. I see I missed some posts saying that as well. Just watch him play and he is blowing by people, he is not a 4.5 guy, people cannot catch him.

I don't doubt he ran a 4.5 40, but some guys are just much faster in pads than they are in shorts, relative to everyone else on the field.  Antonio Brown is a good example: ran a 4.56 at the Combine, but was blowing by defenses on a regular basis.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 12:25 PM, MisterPinstripe said:

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1006399&DraftYear=2019

Steven Sims Jr., DS #98 WR, Kansas  Bookmark and Share
nopic.jpg

Name: Steven Sims Jr. 
College: Kansas     Number: 11
Height: 5-09   Weight: 184
Position: WR  Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2019

40 Low: 4.50
   40 Time: 4.56
  40 High: 4.61
Projected Round:   Stock: same.gif  High: PFA  Low: Tryouts

This is the only 'official' listing of a 40 time i've ever found of him... and if you listen to the clip of the interview Keim had with David Robinson on Friday, he actually references the fact that Sims doesn't have that 4.3 type speed.  What sets him apart is he's running 4.5 speed THROUGH his routes because his feet are so quick.  Most WRs cant maintain that level of speed through cuts and change of direction, but Sims is unique because he can, allowing him to really create separation.  .

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/08/06/undersized-and-underrated-steven-sims-jr-talks-about-his-mission-to-make-an-nfl-roster/

This article he kind of mentions he doesn't have 4.3 speed, but he has the ability to do it through his route. 

“Just playing full speed throughout my whole route. A lot of guys can go 4.2, 4.3, but they can’t run their routes at 4.2, 4.3. So I’m taking my route at 4.4, I’m running at that speed the whole time throughout my route. You can’t cover that.”

I also agree with @HTTRDynasty that Sims plays faster than he tests.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a BIG Sims guy.  I like him and I am excited with what he can do.  4.5 is still really fast, and it's even faster when he's between the hash marks and he's running against LBs and Safeties.  He's blowing by people because of how fast he changes direction, as well as how fast he gets to top speed. 

Watch the first actual highlight with the catch vs Dallas.  He is able to pivot and explode up the middle of the field, then gets caught from behind.  4.3 speed doesn't get caught from behind.  Tyreek Hill and Desean Jackson don't get caught here. 

Again, this is not a detriment to Sims, just an understanding of his talent.  He's really good at changing direction, he's got high level burst.  He's got plus vision, and he's absolutely got a place in this league, likely in the slot.  These things coming together are why I want to see us move him around and find different ways to get the ball in his hand in space.  I originally mentioned a Tyreek Hill type, but maybe more of a Percy Harvin. 

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 5

I remember watching that Dallas game and thought to myself, how did he get caught there?  I thought the player may have just had the angle on him.  I’m surprised he runs 4.5, because he looks extremely fast when he runs.  But he, himself said Terry is faster than he is.  Terry’s legs don’t appear to move as fast as Sims, but he’s covering more ground.  Terry said he’s never been caught from behind.