Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Is he still a head case, since he's asking TMac for advise on how to play better football? Maybe being a #2 on a competitive team with great structure and discipline could be a good spot after a humbling stint with the Browns.

Yes. He's not worth the risk.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes. He's not worth the risk.

So if we're 4-2 and look great, but have an obvious need at WR2 and he's available for a later pick, you don't do it because he's had issues in the past?

I'd rather win games at that point. Can always dump him if he's a problem.

• Like 3

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

So if we're 4-2 and look great, but have an obvious need at WR2 and he's available for a later pick, you don't do it because he's had issues in the past?

When you have a solid locker room, and established culture you make that move. Not after 6 games, coming off a 3-13 season, with a dumpster fire of an organization.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

When you have a solid locker room, and established culture you make that move. Not after 6 games, coming off a 3-13 season, with a dumpster fire of an organization.

I think we have the right kind of coach for OBJ and that we are still a talent starved team. I think the cost of squiring him would be higher than I’d want to pay, but if he was cheap, as a hypothetical, I think he’s worth the risk. 

• Like 4

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

I think we have the right kind of coach for OBJ and that we are still a talent starved team. I think the cost of squiring him would be higher than I’d want to pay, but if he was cheap, as a hypothetical, I think he’s worth the risk. 

If he's cheap, even as a hypothetical, he's either unproductive, psycho, or both. I'd rather give the playing time to what we have.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

One good thing about the new regime is that I'll actually trust RR if we do decide to do something like make a play for OBJ. Rivera won't have him on the team if he thinks he'll be a problem and detrimental to the culture he's trying to build. 

So I personally don't really want much to do with OBJ because I think he's a diva who's going to be a headache. On the other hand if we did get OBJ, I'd trust that Rivera believed he wouldn't be a big locker room problem and he'd be someone he could handle (RR did deal with Cam Newton for years after all). And I'd also trust that Dan wasn't simply telling him what to do and forced him to go get OBJ. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The problem is we are a young, bad team with a new regime, trying to build something. Every new piece has to serve a purpose, from star QB to valuable, hard nosed sp teams guy.

I would rather keep the picks, and continue to build for a dominant long term, then sacrifice them for a great talent, but sketchy personality that would maybe get us to 8-8. It's just not a model to follow if we are truly about change and long term stability. 

He would make sense on a ultra competitive, win-now team, with an established culture, that needs one more playmaker to put them over the top. It's just not a logical fit here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The problem is we are a young, bad team with a new regime, trying to build something. Every new piece has to serve a purpose, from star QB to valuable, hard nosed sp teams guy.

I would rather keep the picks, and continue to build for a dominant long term, then sacrifice them for a great talent, but sketchy personality that would maybe get us to 8-8. It's just not a model to follow if we are truly about change and long term stability. 

He would make sense on a ultra competitive, win-now team, with an established culture, that needs one more playmaker to put them over the top. It's just not a logical fit here.

Today, no it isn't. In the situation I said and we are a winning team, it could make sense. Everyone is on the same page with clear leadership right now. We are currently 0-0 like everyone else. If at week 6 we still have nobody stepping up into the WR2 role, it's a good move. Every team is in win now mode for the most part, until they don't.

There is no  proof that playing bad young players more, makes them or the team better. Having AGG or Cam Sims play less, because OBJ is playing successfully, doesn't make us a worse team.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Today, no it isn't. In the situation I said and we are a winning team, it could make sense. Everyone is on the same page with clear leadership right now.

You sure? That doesn't really get put to the test until you get out on the field and go through the ups and downs of a football season. Ron Rivera already said this season is (to an extent) less about winning and more about figuring out who he can rely on going forward to rebuild this team? And you think bringing in a player known for being moody and disruptive can somehow be a positive, when thrown into this specific scenario?

it could make sense. Everyone is on the same page with clear leadership right now. We are currently 0-0 like everyone else. If at week 6 we still have nobody stepping up into the WR2 role, it's a good move. Every team is in win now mode for the most part, until they don't.

I mean if Odell Beckham fell off a tree and landed in Wash, maybe I can see it being a positive, until he stops getting the ball (or Haskins can't get him the ball).

Him asking Terry McClaurin for advice really is irrelevant,  when it comes to predicting how he would fare statistically and emotionally, when placed in a live-fire situation. He is an unpredictable person with years of evidence to back that up. He does not care about anything but himself.

"Win now" in a traditional sense, is a team that is, or believes they are on the cusp of championship material, needing one last explosive piece to add to that puzzle to put them over the top.

We aren't that team. And no, not every team makes trades and signings that reflect that mindset. Its usually a one-way ticket to unemployment, and this teams history (Sanders, Carrier, Smith, Jason Taylor, Haynesworth, Duckett, DJax, Norman, Hall, etc are living proof of that.

There is no  proof that playing bad young players more, makes them or the team better. Having AGG or Cam Sims play less, because OBJ is playing successfully, doesn't make us a worse team.

I disagree. Sacrificing a pick that you specifically chose because you thought they could add value to your team, on a rookie contract, for a guy who is explosive, but getting older, is mouthy and emotional, and may require a massive contract  down the road,  absolutely makes you a worse team.

There is no point at all in trying to "Go for it" when you dont have what it takes to get there (yet).

Now if Haskins doesn't suck, the defense is awesome, the line is performing well, etc, and then you want to being on Beckham,  then fine, but you're talking a ton of what-ifs. And I would not hitch my wagon to a guy like him. Maybe if we went back 10-12 years in time and nabbed Fitzgerald. But a guy like Beckham destroys teams. They're not there to build anything

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Today, no it isn't. In the situation I said and we are a winning team, it could make sense. Everyone is on the same page with clear leadership right now. We are currently 0-0 like everyone else. If at week 6 we still have nobody stepping up into the WR2 role, it's a good move. Every team is in win now mode for the most part, until they don't.

I think it's only a good move IF Rivera is fully on board and IF we truly believe OBJ could be a long term solution for us and won't end up being too much of a headache. Otherwise, hard pass.

His history suggests that's unlikely. But who knows, Rivera had to deal with Cam Newton for 9 years.

• Like 2

Im moody and disruptive and I can run the **** out of a restaurant more than most people. A coach like Ron has proven he can handle those personalities and if they're an issue, they're gone like Guice. 

OBJ isn't old either. Its not like he's APs age. Dudes prime and maybe he knows its now or never for him. I mean, nothing humbles you more than being thrown to the Browns and not even being the #1. He could have a DHall like career turn around. I dont know. Hes good and WR2 might be an enormous hole for us and that could **** up Haskins development. Thats a little more important than a 4rth round or undrafted guys future.

• Like 1

We aren't in a position to acquire someone like OBJ just yet. He wouldn't help us win that many more games. You don't acquire a piece like that, baggage/volatilty and all, unless you're already a good team and just need that piece to get you over the edge. Think someone like Baltimore or San Francisco.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We aren't in a position to acquire someone like OBJ just yet. He wouldn't help us win that many more games. You don't acquire a piece like that, baggage/volatilty and all, unless you're already a good team and just need that piece to get you over the edge. Think someone like Baltimore or San Francisco.

Agree here...let's see what we got with what we have than maybe...but that's where I think he could go..him and Jackson could be fun...hehehe kickers net 1 obj 0 lol..NEVER FORGET

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think this is sometimes true. Other times, teams like ARI are lauded for doing what they have to do to get their franchise QB a great veteran weapon, especially while the QB is on his rookie deal, toolsy, and developing. Sometimes you need to do what’s necessary to give your young QB the weapons to break out or show they aren’t the guy. Not saying this is that move, but like KB13 I can see a potential future where it could be. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think this is sometimes true. Other times, teams like ARI are lauded for doing what they have to do to get their franchise QB a great veteran weapon, especially while the QB is on his rookie deal, tools, and developing. Sometimes you need to do what’s necessary to give your young QB the tools to break out or show they aren’t the guy. Not saying this is that move, but like KB13 I can see a potential future where it could be. 

Oh god d hops and obj on the same team...I'd watch

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Think someone like Baltimore or San Francisco.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think this is sometimes true. Other times, teams like ARI are lauded for doing what they have to do to get their franchise QB a great veteran weapon

I think Conn hit the nail on the head. Being an elite team is not the only reason to bring in talent, even if they come with baggage.

The best example of this is actually OBJ himself, who was dealt to a team with a losing record, but they had a young QB who they wanted to give every chance to succeed. Its not like they didn't already have weapons (Landry) but they chose to double down and force their Young QBs progression.

We have a young Qb. We have Turbo. If the opportunity presents itself to offer Haskins and Terry a security blanket, you take it. It does not have to be OBJ, but the front office has made it very clear they strongly value another wing presence and there are not a lot of those available. We threw 22+ at Cooper, they WILL do what it takes to get somebody, just gotta wait to see who.

In the meantime, Zombie feels the urge to take a little dirtnap (Zombie pun)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think this is sometimes true. Other times, teams like ARI are lauded for doing what they have to do to get their franchise QB a great veteran weapon, especially while the QB is on his rookie deal, toolsy, and developing. Sometimes you need to do what’s necessary to give your young QB the weapons to break out or show they aren’t the guy. Not saying this is that move, but like KB13 I can see a potential future where it could be. 

They got Hopkins for basically nothing though. That trade was ridiculous. Of course if we get someone like OBJ for a junk offer like that you take it but that ain't happening.

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They got Hopkins for basically nothing though. That trade was ridiculous. Of course if we get someone like OBJ for a junk offer like that you take it but that ain't happening.

I think most people here would be extremely torn if we sent a high 2nd and a (washed) RB for a WR of that caliber. Part of the deal was a contract dump on Johnson, so hard to compare directly, but most have already said they wouldn’t want to pay that much for OBJ. I think Hopkins is better and safer than OBJ so it’s slightly different. But still. Most here wouldn’t call that “basically nothing”.

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think most people here would be extremely torn if we sent a high 2nd and a (washed) RB for a WR of that caliber. Part of the deal was a contract dump on Johnson, so hard to compare directly, but most have already said they wouldn’t want to pay that much for OBJ. I think Hopkins is better and safer than OBJ so it’s slightly different. But still. Most here wouldn’t call that “basically nothing”.

I'd trade a 2nd and Adrian Peterson(closest thing we have to washed up RB but even he's better then David Johnson right now) for a WR like Deandre Hopkins in an instant. I'm normally in favor of keeping picks, especially 2nds, but Hop is the best(or easily top 3) WR in the league. You pair him with McLaurin and suddenly you have a potentially lethal passing attack.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd trade a 2nd and Adrian Peterson(closest thing we have to washed up RB but even he's better then David Johnson right now) for a WR like Deandre Hopkins in an instant. I'm normally in favor of keeping picks, especially 2nds, but Hop is the best(or easily top 3) WR in the league. You pair him with McLaurin and suddenly you have a potentially lethal passing attack.

I don’t really get what you’re arguing then. So we’re not even disagreeing? You said if we could get OBJ for a “junk deal” like ARI did with Hopkins then it would be fine. That would be a 2nd+, which most people who have commented on it here would not want to pay I gather, but you would. But you also said we aren’t in a position to acquire him as a team and roster, which prompted my original response, so...which one is it? lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I agree with this. Getting some weapons for Dwayne could really accelerate his learning curve. We’ve built the DL. We need to solidify the secondary, but prioritize protecting Dwayne and getting him some weapons. 

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I couldn’t disagree more. The DeAndre Hopkins trade was widely, and rightly, considered a steal for the Cardinals. They got one of the best 5 receivers in the league for a second rounder. Think of what we’ve gotten out of our second rounders. Or how much OBJ or Diggs or even Amari Cooper cost. The board would have been over the moon happy if we’d gotten Hopkins for a 2nd. 

• Like 2

A big difference for me is that Hopkins isn't a headache like OBJ is; yeah he apparently had some issues with O'Brien in Houston but other than that I haven't really read much bad about him and he seems like an ok guy and good teammate. OBJ seems like a diva who can become a pain in the ass if he isn't fed the ball enough. 

So when it comes to trading a high pick I want to be sure that it isn't for a guy who may become a hassle and we may end up jettisoning after a season. I want trade like that to be for a guy who will be on the team for years.

• Like 2