Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

In my dreams Montez Sweat is Wilbur Marshall ll.....If he can come in here and become a disruptive force opposite Kerrigan, with the inside push of Ionaiddis and the Bama boys, we are gonna give offensive lines trouble. 

How can you not get excited about the team we have assembled across the board, especially the speed and athleticism? Sweat, Foster and Collins are three huge adds to this defense.

• Like 3

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/montez-sweat-washington-redskins/amp/

By the sounds of it, Montez Sweat has made an immediate impression on his new Washington teammates.

The 16th overall selection in the 2019 NFL Draft out of Mississippi State is currently going through his first camp with the Redskins and already he’s being compared to one of the best players in recent NFL history — at least physically.

Washington’s veteran linebacker Ryan Kerrigan was a recent guest on the John Keim Report and when asked about Sweat, the longtime Redskin defender could not hide his excitement when discussing how impressed he was when he first met the team’s rookie defender. Here is what Kerrigan had to say when Keim asked him to share his initial impression of Sweat.

“Just his size, he’s an imposing dude. I mean, the one person that came to mind – and this isn’t a playing thing, but like, Julius Peppers,” Kerrigan said on the show. “I remember meeting Julius Peppers and seeing how big he was in person. I’m like, ‘Oh my gosh, that dude is big!’ That was kinda my first impression of (Sweat), in terms of size. And then to know how fast and athletic he is too, it’s pretty remarkable.

“One thing I respect about him too, he has the production to match. You see a lot of guys that get drafted and you see their clips and you are like, ‘Oh, you only had a couple of sacks in his career? Why is he getting picked so high?’ Montez has the production to match his freakish athletic ability, which I think is key.”

Kerrigan has certainly done his homework on the former Bulldog as Sweat was a revelation for the Mississippi State defense in recent seasons. In just two seasons on the field, Sweat registered 30 tackles for loss and 22.5 sacks with 101 overall tackles. If he comes close to matching that level of production early during his first two seasons in Washington, the next rookie sensation coming into the league may get compared to Sweat instead of soon-to-be Hall of Famer Julius Peppers.

• Like 6

On 5/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, Anselmheifer said:

...that’s crazy. 

He is jevon kearse level freakish, and got sacks too. And he has worked at his game too, he isn't one of those guys who the game "just comes easy" to, he has had to really learn skills to play defense, and it looks like he is. fingers crossed

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

He is jevon kearse level freakish, and got sacks too. And he has worked at his game too, he isn't one of those guys who the game "just comes easy" to, he has had to really learn skills to play defense, and it looks like he is. fingers crossed

You’re right, but I’m going to give him time. Five to six sacks this year, but with some very impactful plays in clutch situations mixed in, and I’m happy about his rookie year.

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

You’re right, but I’m going to give him time. Five to six sacks this year, but with some very impactful plays in clutch situations mixed in, and I’m happy about his rookie year.

Im actually expecting a few speed clean up sacks, nothing too huge yet - I'm much more excited about his weakside runsupport, he is a demon chasing down RBs who cut back. With the big guys pushing up front and him bursting from cross sideline I expect a lot of plays made that preston just never did. 

His weakside runsupport was easily his most impressive thing on tape last year imo

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Im actually expecting a few speed clean up sacks, nothing too huge yet - I'm much more excited about his weakside runsupport, he is a demon chasing down RBs who cut back. With the big guys pushing up front and him bursting from cross sideline I expect a lot of plays made that preston just never did. 

His weakside runsupport was easily his most impressive thing on tape last year imo

I’m with you.  I don’t need to see a ton of sacks this season for me to appreciate his rookie year. As you mentioned, the ability to chase down RBs backside will be big too, not to mention he’s a good run defender on the strong side as well. But the thing I’m anticipating most with him is the ability to chase down Dak, Wentz, and to a lesser extent, Jones when he starts. I can’t even count how many times I would shake my head in disgust as Carson and Dak effortlessly eluded our pass rushers on crucial downs to pick up key first downs with their legs or throw back-breaking deep balls when our guys just miss getting them on the ground. That now becomes much more difficult for them with Sweat chasing them down. Even if they try to roll out to Kerrigan’s side, Sweat should be hounding them backside. 

I might legitimately shed a tear the first time I see him chase down either of those guys on a roll-out for the sack. 

• Like 4

On 5/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, Anselmheifer said:

I was just lamenting our lack of team speed and it occurred to me that Montez Sweat is our fastest defender other than Fabian Moreau. Sweat would be the second fastest player in our secondary...that’s crazy. 

You got McLaurin who runs like a 4.3 also.

14 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

You got McLaurin who runs like a 4.3 also.

I meant on defense, but, you are correct. 

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I actually disagree with this. Sweat doesn’t have a lot of refined hand moves and counters, but he is going to overwhelm at times with his length and speed and power.

He put Tytus Howard on his butt in the Senior Bowl, and did the same thing to Dalton’s Risner. When you are pancaking high draft picks with power and are also super long and run a 1.5 second 10 yard split and a 4.41 fourty, you’re a lot harder to defend than someone who doesn’t yet have much power, like Brian Burns. I think Sweat collects at least 8 sacks this year and looks good doing it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I meant on defense, but, you are correct. 

I actually disagree with this. Sweat doesn’t have a lot of refined hand moves and counters, but he is going to overwhelm at times with his length and speed and power.

I remember reading something about him working with a guy for months now, to address this issue. Hopefully, he comes into his rookie season surprising people.

Honing his pass-rushing skills

It's not just about the measurables -- Sweat wants to refine his pass-rushing skills, too. Former LSU standout DE Arden Key (now with the Raiders) referred Sweat to pass-rushing coach Chuck Smith of in Atlanta. Sweat has been meeting with Smith since the summer of 2017. Sweat is from the Atlanta area, so he works with Smith two or three times a week when he's in town.

Smith has been working to improve his hand placement and movement. Like Callaway, Smith loves Sweat's work ethic. He also thinks Sweat asks good questions and takes coaching well. His voice lit up when he described some of the things they are working on -- including a new addition to Sweat's pass-rushing repertoire.

"We worked on something called the 'long-arm ghost.' It's a move that Von Miller kind of invented. You use the long arm, then go to the ghost. First you long-arm the guy, then you fake like you're going to long arm him and bend underneath. We added that so he's coming into the league with an arsenal. He's going to be one not to mess with in his rookie year."

The long-arm move is natural for Sweat thanks to his 35-plus-inch arms. A defensive lineman's length can be a plus on the field, but offensive lineman can also use it

low is very important," Sweat said. "The biggest thing you can give an O-linemen is your chest and upper body. It's easy for a tall guy to come out of his stance and be tall because that's what he's comfortable doing. You have to keep repping, staying low out of your stance."

"Staying low is very important," Sweat said. "The biggest thing you can give an O-linemen is your chest and upper body. It's easy for a tall guy to come out of his stance and be tall because that's what he's comfortable doing. You have to keep repping, staying low out of your stance."

After a nine-year career as a defensive end with the Falcons and Panthers, Smith knows what it takes to be a successful pass-rusher and believes Sweat has it.

"Tez is going to outrun guys, and he's only getting better. He's still learning. Tez uses his moves, and he's the prototype -- tall and shredded. I think Tez is going to be a great NFL player."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26432393/how-montez-sweat-team-molded-freak-elite-prospect

Nice breakdowns. I like that Wyatt focused on that Iowa game where someone opined that he didn't play well, addressed the concept and not the commenter. Iowa's O line is no joke, WE draft outta there, right? And correct me if I'm wrong, but Wirfs? Haven't I been hearing that name mentioned as a top prospect for next year? 

But yeah, it's hard to watch college play and prognosticate on how it translates in the pros. One thing I keep seeing is that Sweat stays aware of the play, I see him breaking off a block to pop a RB, stagger step on PA to follow the ball, that kind of situational awareness where he isn't just intent on being driven around the play by being too tunnel-vision about the man in front of him. Wyatt makes a good point vis-a-vis the way his play allows teammates to get there, as opposed to the fantasy football tards that only see the individual stats and then want to regale others with their prescience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Nice breakdowns. I like that Wyatt focused on that Iowa game where someone opined that he didn't play well, addressed the concept and not the commenter. Iowa's O line is no joke, WE draft outta there, right? And correct me if I'm wrong, but Wirfs? Haven't I been hearing that name mentioned as a top prospect for next year? 

It is an nice breakdown. Regarding Wirfs, Volsmet has been crushing on him for a while and posted vids. I believe he is expected to be a RT. I have seen him go between the mid first round to the third in mocks, so probably the second. 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DWinzit said:

It is an nice breakdown. Regarding Wirfs, Volsmet has been crushing on him for a while and posted vids. I believe he is expected to be a RT. I have seen him go between the mid first round to the third in mocks, so probably the second. 

Wirfs will be a first rounder, imo. He is likely to grade out better than any OT from the 2019 class, this OL class is loaded with huge nasty humans.

This freakin guy — feet, hands, size & attitude, he’s a potential top 10 pick. 

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2

Wirfs does have that nastiness you want your OL to have.Love watching him finish his blocking assignments lol!

Underclassmen Little (Stanford) and Thomas (Georgia) seem to lead as you state LOADED OL class. 

Haskins is going to need all the protection he can get.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 12:36 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

I just watched this video. Wirfs is a stud and will likely be a top 15 pick next year. As powerful as Wirfs is, this video made me feel even better about Sweat next year. At no point did Sweat seem overwhelmed. In fact, if I was drafting Wirfs, this video might give me a little pause. There were multiple instances where it looked like Sweat was overpowering Wirfs and driving him back, or converting speed to power. 

If Sweat plays like that all year this year, he is going to have 8-10 sacks and will also be borderline dominant against the run.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

In fact, if I was drafting Wirfs, this video might give me a little pause.

Wirfs was 19 years old when that game was played against a 6ft 6 freak who runs a 4.1 & has nearly 36 inch arms. 

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Wirfs was 19 years old when that game was played against a 6ft 6 freak who runs a 4.1 & has nearly 36 inch arms. 

Maybe so. But, Wirfs’ game seems power based and I hate to see those guys get out muscled. 

Perhaps it should just make me feel better about Sweat’s power game. I’m starting to think that as Kerrigan wears, we could just play Sweat at LDE and draft another speed rusher for the RDE spot. Looking at tape, it looks like Sweat often played LDE in college anyway, so he must be comfortable there. 

Edited by Anselmheifer

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Maybe so. But, Wirfs’ game seems power based and I hate to see those guys get out muscled. 

There may be 1 19 year old alive that could have handled Sweat at all - and he’s that one. He’s a better pass blocker than a run blocker at this point, because he’s athletic & still growing into his frame, because... he’s 19. At ... 19 years old he gave up 15 pressures & zero sacks.

• Thanks 1