Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

On 4/28/2019 at 8:22 AM, DMVLeGenD said:

Anybody that watched Maryland extensively knew that Diggs was going to be an impact player out the gate. I was completely astounded he fell to the 6th round. He only fell because of injuries and poor QB play.

Well two things....

One - that's not really what I was talking about.  He didn't fall in the draft from being a possible 2nd rounder.  He was always a late round guy.  

Two - Scouts get it wrong.  I'm sure if they re-do that draft Diggs goes in the first round.  It wasn't because they didn't watch his tape, it MAY have had a little to do with poor QB play, they just got it wrong.

I guess I'm more talking about the Leonard Hankerson's of the world.  They could've gone early but they didn't until late and then when they get to the team they are just about "contributor," status.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:17 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Keenum needs more than a good defense.  He needs a good supporting cast.  If the O line falls apart with injuries like it has in the last 2 seasons I do not  think he survives it.  I am probably one of the top cheerleaders here for both Harmon and McLaurin and was so before the draft -- Harmon being a late man crush in the process before the draft.  but I like to give rookie receivers  a break in year 1 so I wonder if they hit the ground running in a big way albeit I think it is possible. 

There are a lot of ifs for me about this team.  And I do not mean that in a negative way.  i like this draft a lot and am patient to wait for some of these prospects to bloom.   

I feel a little bit like I did last year.  If I recall I said if they catch some breaks and get some luck they would be 11-5, if they do not then 7-9.  

I thought some overrated the defense heading into 2018.  I liked pieces of it but I thought they had some missing components for it to be great.  I saw the defense as good.  the two main things i thought were missing then was a killer MLB and a killer push rusher.  and in theory we got both now.    So I can see this defense potentially being great.  But I need to see the movie play out with both Sweat and Foster before I count my chickens.  But I am more jazzed about the potential of this defense than any era I can recall post Gregg Williams.   

Jay Gruden needs to set a culture that is super aggressive and a take no prisoners mentality....He is the key. Understand what kind of roster you have and put the pressure on your opponent...If we lose go down swinging and attacking. I wanna see the same kind of team where Sean Taylor attacked on defense and Portis set the tone on offense. We have those kind of players in the same positions. I don't see much of of a difference between Brunell and Keenum. Lets go.

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Jay Gruden needs to set a culture that is super aggressive and a take no prisoners mentality....He is the key. Understand what kind of roster you have and put the pressure on your opponent...If we lose go down swinging and attacking. I wanna see the same kind of team where Sean Taylor attacked on defense and Portis set the tone on offense. We have those kind of players in the same positions. I don't see much of of a difference between Brunell and Keenum. Lets go.

Let me re-phrase that before I get totally ripped, there is no one like ST21, but you all know what I mean.

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If im not mistaken I believe they had DH as their 10th rated prospect overall.

Yeah those numbers don’t seem right at all. I think I saw somewhere that Haskins was their 10th overall player (there’s no way he was 10th among QBs). But the rest can’t be overall rankings. They seem way too high to be positional rankings though. :shrug:

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Noone on our offense is as good as prime Clinton Portis and noone on our defense is even in the same universe as prime Sean Taylor.

1 hour ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Am I correctly interpreting this to mean PFF had Haskins ranked as the 10th QB in the draft?

It says ranked by overall college grade. That means Sweat was ranked as the 11th best DE in college last year, Haskins was ranked as the 10th best QB in college football. That includes players that aren't in the draft.

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Noone on our offense is as good as prime Clinton Portis and noone on our defense is even in the same universe as prime Sean Taylor.

I agree, but the mentality of the defense and offense can be the same as when we had those two tone setters. Collins can bring the wood and our stable of backs can pound the rock. I wanna see Jay setting a tone in the preseason of physical, high flying, attacking defense and a smash mouth offense. Back to the formula that won us rings. Set up the pass with a good running game.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:46 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Sweat to me will elevate that defense.  I thought the one thing missing including last year is an elite level speed rusher.  Granted we do not know if sweat is a great player, yet.  But I think he could be and if that goes down that more than anything I think can elevate the defense.  You add Collins who I do think is an upgrade over Swearniger that should help, too.  Loved the Alabama version of Reuben Foster.  I do not  know about the pro version of him.     Some of the SF reporters say he slipped last year from his rookie season.  And he does tend to get injured.  So he to me is a wild card.  

Sweat doesn't have to be a great player on our defense. That's part of what I like about the pick. If he is solid in his role as a rookie, we should be much better. Kerrigan is a year older, but Jonathan Allen is entering his 3rd year, Payne his second, Settle his second. Ioannidis is in his Prime. Even if Foster isn't as good as he could be, he's a massive upgrade. Collins is solid. Sweat just has to get some pressures and be solid against the run and we should be much, much better. 

I love the Jimmy Moreland pick. I think He could really excel as a ball hawking slot by his second year. We can move Moreau outside with Dunbar, and at least be competent at CB. 

Nobody is talking about the Brailford pick, snd I think it was great. He's 23, but his combine numbers were very good. He was very productive with 10 sacks and 17 TFL this year. I really like his tape. He's physical against the run and quick off the ball as a pass rusher. He's also scheme diverse. Look at him lined up at MLB and making the tackle at 2:27 of the video below. Brailford in the 7th is so much better than Jachai Polite at the top of the 3rd, that it isn't even funny. It's a Baltimore Ravens type pick. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-brailford?id=32194252-4143-9937-a42d-be30771b4671

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jordan-brailford-1.html

I think in 2020 we have the potential to be a truly elite defense. I don't trust our ILB situation. SDH has basically not played a full season in recent history and Foster also has a history of being banged up. If both are out at the same time, it could really tank our defense.  I think we are a CB1, a solid FS, and another very good ILB away from having a perennial top 5 defense. That's achievable in a year, I think. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm happy we had such a good draft, but I disagree that we had the best draft. The Cardinals killed it. KILLED IT. They probably had the best draft. 

1. Kyler Murray

2. Byron Murphy

2. Andy Isabella

3. Zach Allen

4.Hakeem Butler

5. Deionte Thompson

6.Keesean Johnson

6.Lamont Gaillard

7.Joshua Miles

7.Michael Dogbe

7.Caleb Wilson

How does everyone here feel about our middle round picks? Someone posted that we should have moved up for AJ brown with our two 3rds. I would have loved that, but I don't think we had the ammo to get there. We probably could have gotten up to pick 56, given the draft trade value chart, and I didn't love anyone at that point. I'd rather have Love and McLaurin, than DK Metcalf. Probably. 

I really didn't like the Wes Martin or Ross Pierschbacher. Nobody had Wes Martin ranked in the top 1 million guard prospects and Pierschbacher is small, weak and non-athletic. He has 32 inch arms, was 307 pounds, only benched 225 20 times and his vert was 22". Extremely non-explosive. I understand that he is a smart and versatile technician. I do not want to see him going up against Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, or any other really athletic or powerful DT. The team hasn't done a competent enough job drafting and developing OL for me just to trust them out of hand.  Anybody else think we could have done better with those picks? 

24 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm happy we had such a good draft, but I disagree that we had the best draft. The Cardinals killed it. KILLED IT. They probably had the best draft. 

1. Kyler Murray

2. Byron Murphy

2. Andy Isabella

3. Zach Allen

4.Hakeem Butler

5. Deionte Thompson

6.Keesean Johnson

6.Lamont Gaillard

7.Joshua Miles

7.Michael Dogbe

7.Caleb Wilson

How does everyone here feel about our middle round picks?   Anybody else think we could have done better with those picks? 

I'm glad we didn't trade up.. we, for the most part, let the draft come to us in what i consider a pretty strong draft where positions of need fell to us. I did feel a little off about the middle round picks (though I didn't study their tape pretty draft).  

I sense a little Josh lerebius in martin.. in that he wasn't very highly regarded and that fans are gonna latch on to him and pump his value. 

It was nice in that we have a serious weakness at guard and he will have a chance to fill an immediate need. 

The kid from Bama played a lot. And he played consistently over the last couple years against elite defensive tackles and again't even the guys we've got on our team. He might not have the numbers or flashy stats but he must have something to be able to hang with those guys yearly, while also starting at multiple positions. 

Also, his versatility could be a big bonus, especially for our oft injured oline. 

Well just have to see how they play out but we should know pretty quickly.  

I think we had the best draft, but Murray is going to kill it when kingsbury tailors his scheme to his qb's strengths. 

On 4/28/2019 at 6:42 PM, The Consigliere said:

Case was fantastic in college, saddled with Jeff Fisher's inept Rams coaching that nearly caused Gurley to retire, then got in an ideal situation in Minnesota before he left for Denver where the run game depended on two rookies, an iffy OL, and two AARP WR's in Dem Thomas and Manny Sanders who both suffered potential career ending injuries midseason (though Dem Thomas was traded by then) , so he spent half the season throwing to rookies (Hamilton and Sutton) and no TE worth a damn. I don't think he's great, but I think there's reason to believe he'd be at least solid w/a quality line (we have that when healthy), and reasonable weapons to play with (we do not have that, yet anyway). I think Keenum could end up doing A LOT for Doctson if he wins the starting job and they don't move on from him. Doctson prorated was basically a 50-750 guy in year 2 w/a limited QB taking shots in Colt McCoy, Keenum will take bigger shots and is more capable of doing so. Considering that was basically Doctson's second year, if he was healthy and Case was healthy, I'd fully expect a 55-70 catch season in his third full season. 

Case is also fine for our objective which should be to tank for the '20 draft (loaded with talent, especially on offense). We have the schedule necessary to land a top 10 pick, possibly top 5 next year. 

I wasn't commenting on the probability that Case is good but on the probability that Smith comes back. If Case is good and Haskins is a fail, that is the worst scenario for us.

57 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Considering they had the first overall in every round plus an extra mid 2nd because of Rosen they had a good draft but in terms of quality across the board, I think we have em beat. 

I find myself really liking the back of our draft again. There are players I would have loved to have grabbed, but I think Jimmy Moreland and Jordan Brailford were steals. Last year, I absolutely loved Settle, Stroman and Quinn. When you aren't missing in the first, and you are getting production out of rounds 5-7, you can really remake a team quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The players at 2 and 3 are dream picks for us. God I hope we dont pick in the top 5 next year. We haven't even been in the top 10 since 2015, so it doesnt make sense to have us here. We've been steadily average for a few years now 

Matt Miller has us with the #1 pick in the draft.  The highest I've seen is Standig has us at 13.

Archived