Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Passion of The Jussie (FKA The Smollett Fiasco)

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Therr must be a lot of anger from people about jussie smollett that i’m not seeing... what’s all the rage about? There are a lot of entertainers that do real harm, why is meat bag number three singling out smollet..

I think a lot of it is the same reason people are so pissed about the college admissions scandal. People hate seeing priveleged, connected and/or wealthy people use that status to dodge responsibility that other people wouldn't be able to. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, grego said:

I think a lot of it is the same reason people are so pissed about the college admissions scandal. People hate seeing priveleged, connected and/or wealthy people use that status to dodge responsibility that other people wouldn't be able to. 

Do you think this would be a story that president trump would get including loved in if it was just some random black guy?

I don’t consider loosing your job and jeopardizing your ability to work again dodging responsibility.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

20 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Do you think this would be a story that president trump would get including loved in if it was just some random black guy?

I don’t consider loosing your job and jeopardizing your ability to work again dodging responsibility.

Trumps involvement is a little silly in some ways, for sure. I'm sure he's playing up the potential political angle since that's his MO. But I'm not following how that relates to the outrage or general annoyance. You seemed to be asking about people in general. 

If he loses his ability to work because of this, I don't have much sympathy. But avoiding legal ramifications is something most people would not be able to do. 

• Like 2

Can the city that declines to prosecute you for a crime really sue you for "wasting resources" relating to that crime? This seems ridiculous. The man is "innocent until proven guilty".

This could be a shakedown plot by the Osundairo brothers.... why do we believe their word? Just because the police did.

Everyone is quick to believe their story...

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Therr must be a lot of anger from people about jussie smollett that i’m not seeing... what’s all the rage about? There are a lot of entertainers that do real harm, why is meat bag number three singling out smollet..

I think it’s because cable TV and Twitter are Trump’s daily intelligence briefings...

• Haha 1

Possibly an unfortunate outcome, but not close to the worst Chicago has had to deal with recently.

I look at it this way.  How many crimes and courtroom proceedings end with a fine and community service?  While this may have been on a significantly larger scale, I don't think your average person who files a false police report often sees the inside of a prison cell.

The way it occurred seems shady, but in the end, he paid a fine and did community service is what it amounts to.  Same outcome as 1,000 other things.

Now, if the Feds find him guilty of mailing the letter with the fake white powder to himself, he's going to be in a bigger world of ****.

• Like 2

did Yall see the Chris rock opener at the NAACP awards a few days ago? "No smollet jokes they said..." and then he proceeds to go into a Smollet joke where he basically calls him out for being disgraceful. Lol. 

anyway the deadline to pay the city passed and he didn't pay Chicago so hopefully Chicago takes him to court

How can the PD make him pay for their regular investigation? Doesn't this mean they can do this to any suspect in any crime?

I don't even think they can call it a "civil" case if a government entity is party to it. Civil is typically two private parties. That the city can sue doesn't make sense.

41 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

How can the PD make him pay for their regular investigation? Doesn't this mean they can do this to any suspect in any crime?

I don't even think they can call it a "civil" case if a government entity is party to it. Civil is typically two private parties. That the city can sue doesn't make sense.

Civil is simply which court system, recouping financial damages goes thru civil court or administrative hearings.

the govt can sue you in many ways, related to a crime or just a infraction.

add

https://money.howstuffworks.com/us-government-sue-business.htm

The U.S. federal government, just like any American citizen, has the right to sue in civil court. If the government, or one of its regulatory agencies, believes that a business has broken a federal law or attempted to cheat a federal agency out of money, it can take that business to court.

Edited by twa

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Actor Jussie Smollett found guilty of lying to police in hate crime hoax

Actor Jussie Smollett was found guilty Thursday on five of six felony counts of disorderly conduct for making a false report to Chicago police that he was the victim of a hate crime in January 2019 -- an attack prosecutors said he staged.

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for more than nine hours over Wednesday and Thursday.

Smollett, dressed in a suit and tie, appeared rigid after the verdict was read in court late in the afternoon. He did not move and was seen gazing straight ahead. His fingers were interlaced and his hands were on the table. He didn't look at his family or the judge, instead focusing in the direction of the jury.

A disorderly conduct charge for a false crime report is a Class 4 felony and punishable by up to three years in prison and a $25,000 fine. Cook County Judge James Linn will have discretion in imposing a concurrent or consecutive sentence for each count at a later date.

Special prosecutor Dan Webb said at a news conference that he was proud of the jury.

"Mr. Smollett would not have lost this case as he did today unless the jury found that he lied to them," he said. "The fact that he came up with a completely ridiculous story to explain his misconduct did not apparently have an impact on the jury's verdict."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...