Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, alwaysaskin said:

The problem is that they’ll either whiff in the draft on a WR or overpay for some team’s #5 receiver. They haven’t had good receivers since Garçon and DJAX left

NFL WR's take 2+ years to develop in most cases.  Antonio Brown had a good sophomore year, setback in year 3, then went off.  Draft Position...6th rounder. 

That's the thing about having WR issues.  You've got to add one in FA and hit one in the draft that supplants the FA. 

Skins don't have enough options at WR to make CK the QB he was in 2017 without WR's like Diggs and Theilen.

41 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yea, @clskinsfan so by my calculation Earl Thomas should get some variation of 3 yrs/$48 mil and is priced out of the Cowboy's range!  😂

Collins first 3 yrs/$45 mil

Mathieu 3 yrs/$42 mil

At that price the Cowboys can't afford him

Interesting nugget on ESPN today (Will Cain). They were discussing who the next 'Antonio Brown', meaning a player who should be hosting their current team hostage for an extension, should be. 

Their thoughts were Zeke should be next. This year the Cowboys, who don't have much cap space, have to lock up Dak, Cooper, Byron Jones and Lawrence. The year after will be Zeke. I tend to agree. He's got 2 options: 

1 - Be a good soldier and get 350+ touches the next 2 seasons, then hit free agency a RB with little tread left on the tires. 

2 - Complain now, force your free agency and get paid in the next year.  

Just now, Art said:

First, who are the corners in free agency you'd give even $10 million to.   Go.   Done?   Agreed.   I'll ignore your thoughts on Gilmore, who, a year ago, was ranked as one of the worst signings in free agency.   

Second, you're suggesting Mathieu, who is smaller, shorter, slower, older, more injured, who has been to 1 Pro Bowl and named All Pro once, is in the same league as Collins, who is in possession of the inverse characteristic listed for Mathieu, who has been a Pro Bowler three times and All Pro once, in fewer years, who tackles more, and who is "ball park" in passes defensed with Mathieu, given Collins is always in the box and Mathieu is covering slot?   You're solid on all this still, yeah?

A few of the extraordinary athletes that proved more nimble than Collins in the 3 cone. Granted, most of these guys weighed 80 - 100 lbs more, so it’s tough to compare. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=OL

2560112.jpg
OTBRIAN O'NEILLPITTSBURGHTOP PERFORMER IN: 40 YARD DASH | 3 CONE DRILL

2495298.jpg
OLJASON KELCECINCINNATITOP PERFORMER IN: VERTICAL JUMP | 40 YARD DASH

2495137.jpg
OLANTHONY CASTONZOBOSTON COLLEGETOP PERFORMER IN: VERTICAL JUMP | BENCH PRESS

2552360.jpg
OTJAKE FISHEROREGONTOP PERFORMER IN: 20 YARD SHUTTLE | 3 CONE DRILL

2539954.jpg
OGJEFF BACAUCLATOP PERFORMER IN: 3 CONE DRILL | 40 YARD DASH

2558014.jpg
OTGARETT BOLLESUTAHTOP PERFORMER IN: BROAD JUMP | 3 CONE DRILL

2560048.jpg
CJAMES DANIELSIOWATOP PERFORMER IN: 20 YARD SHUTTLE | BROAD JUMP

2495283.jpg
OLBRANDON FUSCOSLIPPERY ROCKTOP PERFORMER IN: BROAD JUMP | 20 YARD SHUTTLE

2557875.jpg
OGDION DAWKINSTEMPLETOP PERFORMER IN: 40 YARD DASH | 3 CONE DRILL

2533043.jpg
GDAVID DECASTROSTANFORDTOP PERFORMER IN: 3 CONE DRILL | VERTICAL JUMP

2543839.jpg
CGABE IKARDOKLAHOMATOP PERFORMER IN: 40 YARD DASH | 3 CONE DRILL

2555184.jpg
CJAKE BRENDELUCLATOP PERFORMER IN: BROAD JUMP | 40 YARD DASH

2539286.jpg
OTLANE JOHNSONOKLAHOMATOP PERFORMER IN: 3 CONE DRILL | 40 YARD DASH

2555207.jpg
OTTYLER JOHNSTONEOREGONTOP PERFORMER IN: 20 YARD SHUTTLE | BROAD JUMP

2540216.jpg
CBRIAN SCHWENKECALIFORNIATOP PERFORMER IN: BROAD JUMP | BENCH PRESS

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's good but with his injury history and the luck of this team on that front, wonder if he's on the table.  Wonder if Collins pushes the FO to bring back his old safety partner at Alabama.  I recall he and Haha are close.   Not sure if I want Haha back personally though -- rather have Gipson if they still plan to add a FS.

In total agreement on Gipson.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Art, from an earlier post you made.  Do you still see us or are you hearing we will still sign 2 or 3 more big named players in FA?  Any more action tonight do you think?

Define big name.   No one we'll sign is as big a name as Collins.   Not even Mosely.   We will sign two or three more players who have some significant ability.   Yeah.   I'm still there on that.   But, remember, in a free agent class Preston Smith ranks 12th according to rankings, it's not likely there are THAT many players out there and if the price goes crappy like with Mosely, I'd look more toward several, say five signings that are players with some upside or something to prove.    In the first category maybe names like Mitch Morse (though his height without Smith is a worry) and in the second category maybe names like Hicks, Coleman or Houston.   

Yes, more is likely to happen in my view.   But, I suspect not until the league year at this point as Mosely would have been the only other one who required some pretty big attention at this point.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's good but with his injury history and the luck of this team on that front, wonder if he's on the table.  Wonder if Collins pushes the FO to bring back his old safety partner at Alabama.  I recall he and Haha are close.   Not sure if I want Haha back personally though -- rather have Gipson if they still plan to add a FS.

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

They have no #1 WR, which negates CK at QB.  Drafting a WR is not going to solve that in 2019 and likely not 2020. 

They have no Edge Rusher outside of Kerrigan and OG issue is paramount. 

Skins can't solve their issues in 2019.  Likely can't do it by 2020.   .500 Team that is doing just enough to stay there. 

Yeah, but they aren't going to find a number one receiver in FA anyway. If you don't bring in players because you have holes that you can't fill, you aren't going to bring in anyone. Since we need a WR the draft is the only way that will be accomplished, not trying to get any talent until then would be unwise and put you behind the 8 ball even more.

2 minutes ago, Art said:

Define big name.   No one we'll sign is as big a name as Collins.   Not even Mosely.   We will sign two or three more players who have some significant ability.   Yeah.   I'm still there on that.   But, remember, in a free agent class Preston Smith ranks 12th according to rankings, it's not likely there are THAT many players out there and if the price goes crappy like with Mosely, I'd look more toward several, say five signings that are players with some upside or something to prove.    In the first category maybe names like Mitch Morse (though his height without Smith is a worry) and in the second category maybe names like Hicks, Coleman or Houston.   

Yes, more is likely to happen in my view.   But, I suspect not until the league year at this point as Mosely would have been the only other one who required some pretty big attention at this point.

Didnt mitch morse agree to contract with Bills?

2 minutes ago, Art said:

Thanks Art. :)

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

A few of the extraordinary athletes that proved more nimble than Collins in the 3 cone. Granted, most of these guys weighed 80 - 100 lbs more, so it’s tough to compare. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=OL

So, you think a lineman that gets paid on his short area quickness should be significantly slower than a safety who doesn't?   Do you find great athletes who can't play more compelling than great athletes who are three-time Pro Bowlers and an All Pro at 25?   Again, since it's obvious, I'll ask you how you think the Cowboys will do given you must like them a lot to HATE on a young Pro Bowler universally respected for his play by EVERYONE not you.   

1 minute ago, panahoo said:

Didnt mitch morse agree to contract with Bills?

Don't know.   I was using his name as a "good" player at a position of need -- in that he'd go to center and we'd cover LG from there.   He may have.   No clue.   

6 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

If Collins is all the Skins get. This free agency is a loss. 

Is Collins + someone else > Haha + Swearinger? 

A lot baked into the 'someone else'. I'm completely unsure who that will be. Everett can't stay healthy and Nicholson is a bit of a mess off the field. 

Just now, Art said:

Don't know.   I was using his name as a "good" player at a position of need -- in that he'd go to center and we'd cover LG from there.   He may have.   No clue.   

Got it. He did agree with Bills, but I see your point. Thanks.

Just now, Unbias said:

A lot baked into the 'someone else'. I'm completely unsure who that will be. Everett can't stay healthy and Nicholson is a bit of a mess off the field. 

Nicholson getting into a fist fight with another guy isn't an off field mess.  It's a two dumb drunk guys fighting incident. He'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Collins is a damn good football player but that's a lot of money for a Safety who doesn't take over games the way Reed or Polamalu did. We still need a cover safety because Collin is really more of an in the box guy.

This is just the SnyderSkins MO all over again. Go big on a FA with name recognition to distract an angry fanbase.

Fan base sees through his distractions.  This team will be forever stuck in the 7 to 9 win range; as long as Gruden is here.  

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Honestly, at this point don't you almost HAVE to bring back Ha Ha?   Seriously, we're so in on Bama boys and while I agree with everyone we got nothing from him a year ago, his value has also dwindled because of it.   He's have the most upside out there at the position so I'd lean toward bringing him back at this point.   What do you have to lose really.

10 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

NFL WR's take 2+ years to develop in most cases.  Antonio Brown had a good sophomore year, setback in year 3, then went off.  Draft Position...6th rounder. 

That's the thing about having WR issues.  You've got to add one in FA and hit one in the draft that supplants the FA. 

Skins don't have enough options at WR to make CK the QB he was in 2017 without WR's like Diggs and Theilen.

True Keenum thrives on the deep ball, we have no deep threat, at the same time Doctson is a bust and is awful in all phases of the passing game, even with a Rosen this team would struggle because of how bad the Receivers are

Just now, TheShredder said:

Nicholson getting into a fist fight with another guy isn't an off field mess.  It's a two dumb drunk guys fighting incident. He'll be fine.

Let's just ignore the off field stuff for a bit. The team saw him start 7 games before they traded a 4th for Haha and demoted him to special teams. The current coaching staff probably aren't too sold on him so I'm unsure if he'll be "fine'. 

4 minutes ago, Art said:

Honestly, at this point don't you almost HAVE to bring back Ha Ha?   Seriously, we're so in on Bama boys and while I agree with everyone we got nothing from him a year ago, his value has also dwindled because of it.   He's have the most upside out there at the position so I'd lean toward bringing him back at this point.   What do you have to lose really.

Maybe. I did think trading for a safety mid season is a horrible way to evaluate how they fit. Within a week they are trying to understand the scheme/lingo and develop chemistry with the other DBs over the weeks to follow. 

IMO he'd look a lot better with an offseason to prepare. Maybe a one year, 'prove it' type deal? 

Archived