Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

There's a few Ols who were drafted high and eventually found some success after a few years, even if it was after a shift of position. Leonard Davis might be the best example of this. Hell, Cleveland seems to think Greg Robinson is finally playable after many years.  There still seems to be a decent chance Ereck Flowers can at least be a usable player, so i understand the interest. It's just a matter of cost.

Brandon Scherff?  He was blasted his rookie year and the pick was deemed a failure by many when he made the move because of the speculation he couldnt play tackle

54 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Is Baker's production gimmicky in any way or is his play style prone to ruining his own career via injury? This sentence you typed is nonsensical to me, unless I'm missing obvious context, in which case I apologize. What did you mean? 

Is Lamar Jackson’s production gimmicky 6 years later? 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Brandon Scherff? 

Possible some misdirection at the combine when Gruden mentioned Scherff and how they 'must' extend him now and that it was a priority. 

I say misdirection because it really depends on what their plans are.  We all know how well Scherff has developed into a Pro Bowl RG.  As well, we know he's not a RT.  So, this year he's costing 12.5M in the final year of his first contract.  Now, his agent would be theoretically be looking for an extension in the range of his possible tag number.  That's 14.2M yr. range.  Can see that here:

2019 Franchise Tags

• Quarterback: $25.103MM
  • Running back: $11.322MM
  • Wide receiver: $16.948MM
  • Tight end: $10.486MM
  • Offensive line: $14.201MM
  • Defensive end: $17.291MM
  • Defensive tackle: $15.355MM
  • Linebacker: $15.591MM
  • Cornerback: $16.175MM
  • Safety: $11.256MM
  • Punter/kicker: $5.018MM

Normally when they look for an extension before the player begins his final year, they'll negotiate a larger Signing Bonus and lower annual cap hit as it benefits both sides.  The advantage to the player is that should they get a larger than Franchise Tag total compensation in the first 1-3 years, then the back end isn't a big deal.  If the player becomes a cap casualty in the back end, then the player gets a shot at a 3rd contract (and another Signing Bonus scenario).  If the player and agent decide they want to see what the market could give them, then the extension will never happen.  Player would get tagged on the 5th year and it's virtually muted situation unless the player refuses to play under the tag.  I don't think OL'men will play that game, but who knows.  Essentially, they'll have Scherff for at least 2 more years if they want him.  He'd be 29 year old FA for the 2021 year.  My point is that unless the Skins want to give him a 72.5M 5yr contract now, it's not going to happen.  He'd be making more then TW by almost 2.5M yr. as a RG.  Doesn't make sense because you can keep him around at less then that and no commitment should he blow out his knee.  Given the current situation,  do you trade him?  He's missed 10 games the last two years.  At that current pace you'd have paid him $9M while he's been on IR.  Smart move is to trade him if that gives you a better situation on a more expensive position (like Edge Rusher, QB, #1 WR).  No brainer.

5 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Who's Nick Easton?

backup RG for the Vikings.

Often injured and originally a 6th rounder.  4 yr vet.

Baltimore Ravens

Easton signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a rookie free agent on May 7, 2015. He was one of the team’s most consistent players during the preseason, earning the Ravens’ top overall grade (+9.1) from Pro Football Focus. His grade from PFF was also the highest of any center in the preseason and the seventh-best grade of any position player in the NFL.

San Francisco 49ers

Easton was acquired by the San Francisco 49ers from Baltimore in exchange for a conditional seventh-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Minnesota Vikings

On October 6, 2015, the 49ers traded Easton and a 2016 sixth-round pick to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for linebacker Gerald Hodges.[4]

Easton made his first-career start in place of starting center Joe Berger in Week 13 of the 2016 season against the Dallas Cowboys. The following week, Easton again filled in for Berger for the second straight game after the veteran was unable to clear the concussion protocol.[5]

Easton earned himself a starting guard spot for the Vikings in 2017, starting 12 games at left guard before suffering a fractured right ankle in Week 16. He was placed on injured reserve on December 26, 2017.[6]

On August 13, 2018, Easton was placed on injured reserve after suffering a neck injury in training camp.[7]

4 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Flowers LOL...

Roses are Brown

Violets are Brown

Hey who **** in my GARDEN?

Hopefully we are the mystery team in on Nick Easton

Flowers cost you nothing to see if you can coach him up for OL depth during OTAs/Camp.  At least he's not often injured and 24 yr old former 1st round pick.  Maybe he's been playing out of position as a tackle.  No risk in signing him to let our OL guru have a crack at him. 

Nick Easton is soft former 6th rounder.  Just not talented. Why would you want less talent?  Not saying Flowers vs Easton is talent vs talent comparison because Flowers hasn't played Guard.  However Nick Easton has only been available for 23 games in 4 years!  Guess he'd fit right in with the Skins OL...what the hell

Skins should bring in Andy Levitre for a visit. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/412/andy-levitre

3/13 One of the most durable guards in the league for nearly a decade, Andy Levitre tore his triceps in the Falcons’ second game of the season in 2018 and landed on IR. That immediately led to speculation

Ranked #66 of the top 100 FAs. 

12 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Flowers cost you nothing to see if you can coach him up for OL depth during OTAs/Camp.  At least he's not often injured and 24 yr old former 1st round pick.  Maybe he's been playing out of position as a tackle.  No risk in signing him to let our OL guru have a crack at him. 

Nick Easton is soft former 6th rounder.  Just not talented. Why would you want less talent?  Not saying Flowers vs Easton is talent vs talent comparison because Flowers hasn't played Guard.  However Nick Easton has only been available for 23 games in 4 years!  Guess he'd fit right in with the Skins OL...what the hell

This is what so many people miss or just plain ignore. It's like if every signing for the 90 man roster is not a ****ing probowler it's a monumental disaster. Bringing Flowers is for OTAs and TC hurts nothing. And the argument that it takes away a spot for someone else is not valid unless you can find another 1st rd draft pick that's 24 y/o and could maybe at least provide depth at a position of major need. Granted the Giants reached, he was probably a mid to late 2nd based on the draft analysis but that's not really the point. 

Not seeing why this would be such a bad thing. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is what so many people miss or just plain ignore. It's like if every signing for the 90 man roster is not a ****ing probowler it's a monumental disaster. Bringing Flowers is for OTAs and TC hurts nothing. And the argument tat it takes away a spot for someone else is not valid unless you can find another 1st rd draft pick that's 24 y/o and could maybe at least provide depth at a position of major need. Granted they reached he was probably a mid to late 2nd based on the draft analysis but that's not really the point. 

Not seeing why this would be such a bad thing.  

Not only is it not such a bad thing, it's definitely nothing to laugh about.  We all watched him play out of position in our NFC East rival games.  Obviously he was over matched. So, after 4 yrs and all things considered, can he play Guard?!  In a pinch, you know he could occupy a tackle spot...it's gonna suck at takle if you get down that far on the depth chart.  Nothing new for the Skins. However...possibly playing next to TW brings out some forgotten talent and upside.  Plus he's cheap as hell right now.  Vet Min no brainer.

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

Not only is it not such a bad thing, it's definitely nothing to laugh about.  We all watched him play out of position in our NFC East rival games.  Obviously he was over matched. So, after 4 yrs and all things considered, can he play Guard?!  In a pinch, you know he could occupy a tackle spot...it's gonna suck at takle if you get down that far on the depth chart.  Nothing new for the Skins. However...possibly playing next to TW brings out some forgotten talent and upside.  Plus he's cheap as hell right now.  Vet Min no brainer.

It would be good to see what he could do at OG.  Writeups, before he was drafted thought he would fit better at OG because of his footwork and say he's a brawler on the OL in the run game.  It would affect our comp pick situation from what I've been told because he wasn't cut/released.  We shall see how IF signed.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

It would be good to see what he could do at OG.  Writeups, before he was drafted thought he would fit better at OG because of his footwork and say he's a brawler on the OL in the run game.  It would affect our comp pick situation from what I've been told because he wasn't cut/released.  We shall see how IF signed.

If anyone can make him a Guard it's Callahan and Co.

Plus TW would be up his ass and mentor him off those stupid False Starts possibly.

47 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I tend to agree with you about the injury issues. The problem is there is just nobody out there that isn't an injury risk. So in Eastons case it's his age that's attractive combined with his versatility at either guard or center. As for less talent between the two, I think the jury is still out on both but Easton has been the better pro. Flowers has the name but has yet to show he is capable at least as a tackle. He is a younger guy though, so so maybe both would be good for back ups.

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't know. There has to be a specific Levitre who would be better than the others.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I tend to agree with you about the injury issues. The problem is there is just nobody out there that isn't an injury risk. So in Eastons case it's his age that's attractive combined with his versatility at either guard or center. As for less talent between the two, I think the jury is still out on both but Easton has been the better pro. Flowers has the name but has yet to show he is capable at least as a tackle. He is a younger guy though, so so maybe both would be good for back ups.

I hear ya.  Just bring them both in.  They're not going to pay them anything.  Need a big gang on hand for some competition for the entire OL. 

5 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

The sentence makes complete sense to anyone logical.

You compared Baker Mayfield and Kitchens to RG3 and Shanahan. Me asking you why that makes sense to you is not illogical. If you say something like that, the burden of proof is definitely on you to back it up or at least provide context. I don't see a connection. 

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You compared Baker Mayfield and Kitchens to RG3 and Shanahan. Me asking you why that makes sense to you is not illogical. If you say something like that, the burden of proof is definitely on you to back it up or at least provide context. I don't see a connection. 

A young OC with a rookie 1st round QB having success compared to a young OC with a rookie 1st round QB having success needs connecting for you?

17 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

A young OC with a rookie 1st round QB having success compared to a young OC with a rookie 1st round QB having success needs connecting for you?

If you think the success RG3 had as a rookie was conventional and sustainable, I guess that would explain thr connection YOU see, even if I don't see it. You're also kind of ignoring the presence of the not-young-at-all Mike Shanahan, not that it matters. 

Nothing about the success Mayfield had as a rookie is really comparable to what RG3 did. It was very different, if equally exciting and explosive. More importantly, everyone on earth knew RG3 would have to grow and change if he was going to continue to succeed. Not only because he was reckless with his body running the ball but also because he wasn't running a "real", sustainable offense. 

Nobody really has similar concerns with Baker Mayfield so idk where the connection is. 

24 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Baker and RGIII are nothing alike.  Also RGIII lost trust in the Shannahans.  That’s not the case with Baker and Kitchens.  Actually the Browns dumped the coaches who had Baker taking deep drops and we’re getting him hit.   Kitchens adjusted those problems.

I think the Browns made the right move with Kitchens.  And he’s got a really good coaching staff to lean on.  Gregg Williams would have been a bad long term choice.  His ego wears on everyone, and Blake has not been well liked everywhere he’s been.  Gregg insists on bringing him everywhere.  

38 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If you think the success RG3 had as a rookie was conventional and sustainable, I guess that would explain thr connection YOU see, even if I don't see it. You're also kind of ignoring the presence of the not-young-at-all Mike Shanahan, not that it matters. 

Nothing about the success Mayfield had as a rookie is really comparable to what RG3 did. It was very different, if equally exciting and explosive. More importantly, everyone on earth knew RG3 would have to grow and change if he was going to continue to succeed. Not only because he was reckless with his body running the ball but also because he wasn't running a "real", sustainable offense. 

Nobody really has similar concerns with Baker Mayfield so idk where the connection is. 

36 minutes ago, drowland said:

Baker and RGIII are nothing alike.  Also RGIII lost trust in the Shannahans.  That’s not the case with Baker and Kitchens.  Actually the Browns dumped the coaches who had Baker taking deep drops and we’re getting him hit.   Kitchens adjusted those problems.

I think the Browns made the right move with Kitchens.  And he’s got a really good coaching staff to lean on.  Gregg Williams would have been a bad long term choice.  His ego wears on everyone, and Blake has not been well liked everywhere he’s been.  Gregg insists on bringing him everywhere.  

The whole conversation is needed to understand. CONNSKINS is compartmentalizing. 

I don’t think the two situations are similar, but the love affair with the Browns by multiple people doesn’t make sense.  The comparison was made to show that a small sample size isn’t enough to show the whole picture. 

Browns turned a 4th place schedule into 7-8-1, overhauled their entire coaching staff, and now “won the off-season.”  

If the Redskins had done the same everyone would be laughing at them. 

Archived