Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

As long as Gruden calls the plays it doesn't really matter. Like it didn't matter for the Browns that they had Kitchens in-house until they booted Hue and gave the guy full reign over the offense. Even if O'Connell is a genius we won't know it. Maybe if Gruden gets canned at the bye. 

I think 50-50 Jay gets fired at the bye.  The problem he has IMO is the expectations that he and Bruce are likely selling Dan.  Jay saying in multiple interviews this team is as good as any in the NFL.  Just listened to a Bruce interview where he talks about competing to win the division next year.   So my prediction is Dan is shocked when they get off to a 2-5 start or whatever stumble they likely have next season.

My point is it might be good for O'Connell to not have his stamp initially on the play calling.  Keim here though says they haven't decided yet about play calling so maybe Hoffman ends up wrong.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25879982/kevin-oconnell-promoted-redskins-offensive-coordinator

It has not yet been determined whether O'Connell will call plays, according to sources. Cavanaugh did not, but McVay did during his three seasons as coordinator.

The Redskins are coming off a third straight non-playoff season. Their biggest issue on offense this past season was injuries. They started four quarterbacks in addition to losing multiple starters. They also finished 28th in yards per game and 29th in points after finishing 16th in both categories the season before.

Even when they had starting quarterback Alex Smith entering Week 12, they only ranked 26th in yards per game and 25th in points.

McVay has energy like he mainlines Starbucks and that's nice to have but I don't think its what makes him a great coach, let's hope if there are any similarities between O'Connell and McVay that it's his attention to detail and ability to scheme, or help Jay scheme. 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

McVay has energy like he mainlines Starbucks and that's nice to have but I don't think its what makes him a great coach, let's hope if there are any similarities between O'Connell and McVay that it's his attention to detail and ability to scheme, or help Jay scheme. 

Everybody is looking for the next McVay but I don’t think there’s going to be another one. I think McVay is unique because he’s the complete package as a coach. He’s a genius schematically and building his system around the strength of his players. He’s charismatic, likable and a true leader of his team. He’s willing to take risks either to get his team back into a game or step on another teams throat. He’s confident enough and comfortable enough in his own skin to hire smart experienced people around him which is a big deal. He is willing to openly admit when he makes mistakes during the course of a game just like the NFCG against the Saints saying he screwed up not getting Gurley more involved. Players will respect the hell out of him for that type of accountability. Teams are gonna have a near impossible time finding the next McVay because he’s the complete package as a coach.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think 50-50 Jay gets fired at the bye.  The problem he has IMO is the expectations that he and Bruce are likely selling Dan.  Jay saying in multiple interviews this team is as good as any in the NFL.  Just listened to a Bruce interview where he talks about competing to win the division next year.   So my prediction is Dan is shocked when they get off to a 2-5 start or whatever stumble they likely have next season.

My point is it might be good for O'Connell to not have his stamp initially on the play calling.  Keim here though says they haven't decided yet about play calling so maybe Hoffman ends up wrong.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25879982/kevin-oconnell-promoted-redskins-offensive-coordinator

It has not yet been determined whether O'Connell will call plays, according to sources. Cavanaugh did not, but McVay did during his three seasons as coordinator.

The Redskins are coming off a third straight non-playoff season. Their biggest issue on offense this past season was injuries. They started four quarterbacks in addition to losing multiple starters. They also finished 28th in yards per game and 29th in points after finishing 16th in both categories the season before.

Even when they had starting quarterback Alex Smith entering Week 12, they only ranked 26th in yards per game and 25th in points.

Thanks for the info! Where did Bruce say this?

EDIT: Just saw you posted the link in another thread. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Everybody is looking for the next McVay but I don’t think there’s going to be another one. I think McVay is unique because he’s the complete package as a coach. He’s a genius schematically and building his system around the strength of his players. He’s charismatic, likable and a true leader of his team.

Both O'Connell and McVay have the Irish surnames, so maybe they are distantly related, and somehow the "complete football package with schematic genius and player strength-building, charismatic, likeable, leader" gene got passed onto each of them through their ancestors.

Yeah we should not join the crazy NFL logic. Just because Sean McVay is a young O mind head coach doesn't mean that every young O coach is a potential amazing coach. 

Every person is unique, you can't just find a copy. Sean is not great HC because his is young or because he is a O coach. It's his vibe & personality. His age has nothing to do with it. He is a great leader, teacher and knows how to make the scheme work for his players. That is what makes him a great coach.

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Put me into the camp that hopes that O'Connell gets a chance to call plays.  Not that I have a reason to think he'll be great at it but I'd just like to see someone else after several years of the same Gruden offense.  Maybe he can mix things up and have more success.

I agree, Trust me when I say this, who am I to judge but I’m in the crowd who thinks that a HC should over see his entire staff and make the final decision but at the end of the day I like when the OC calls the game and has the reins as well the DC should the HC be from the defensive side of the ball.  But it’s more likely a personality thing, cause for me if I hire a guy for a certain job, area I’m expecting him to be what I wanted and feel confident in him doing the best possible job at his craft cause if I had to do his job maybe I didn’t hire the right guy.....just my opinion though

No Joke!

Redskins hired former Bills assistant Rob Ryan as ILBs coach.

Ryan last coached in the NFL in 2016 as assistant head coach/defense on his brother Rex's staff with the Bills. Prior to that, Ryan was the Saints' defensive coordinator from 2013-2015, which was mostly a failure. Ryan has the "name", but he's long overseen some weak defenses. He'll work closely with Reuben Foster and Zach Brown and may have some say in the defensive plan.

4 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

No Joke!

Redskins hired former Bills assistant Rob Ryan as ILBs coach.

Ryan last coached in the NFL in 2016 as assistant head coach/defense on his brother Rex's staff with the Bills. Prior to that, Ryan was the Saints' defensive coordinator from 2013-2015, which was mostly a failure. Ryan has the "name", but he's long overseen some weak defenses. He'll work closely with Reuben Foster and Zach Brown and may have some say in the defensive plan.

I'd be surprised if he ends up working closely with Zach Brown....

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I can definitely see the positive side to that, but the concerning side is the "too many chefs in the kitchen" theory, where maybe egos clash.

Not saying it will happen, but a possibility.

The same thing crossed my mind but the Ryan brothers have been around long enough to know what they are getting into.  Rob's probably trying to rekindle his career so coming in and creating drama wouldn't help his case.

We'll see, who knows if Manusky is even the D coordinator by the time the season starts. 

Archived