Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see if it goes down this way -- based on what reporters are saying:  Tomsula is being pursued to stay but he either retires or moves on.  Callahan badly wants out, Jay is cool with him leaving because it hasn't been a smooth ride with him but Bruce wants him to stay and is insisting on it. 

Interesting that Jay who typically goes to the Senior Bowl skips this particular one to stay back to interview coaches.  This being the Senior Bowl with arguably the best participation of senior QBs in years where the team is hot for a QB.  Also from what I've heard its common to interview coaches in the Senior Bowl.   Weird.

My early prediction for their next coach in 2020 (don't think Jay survives this season):  Kevin O'Connell or Todd Bowles or Gregg Williams.   Dan might pursue Nick Saban but Saban would likely decline while cracking up after putting the phone down.

If we draft Murray, I would like his coach Lincoln Riley to be hired as HC in 2020.

Would love Bruce to be replaced by Eli Wolf.  I'd take this separately if the above doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

If we draft Murray, I would like his coach Lincoln Riley to be hired as HC in 2020.

Would love Bruce to be replaced by Eli Wolf.  I'd take this separately if the above doesn't happen.

Lincoln Riley supposedly has turned down a bunch of NFL offers over the years, alas I don't see him or anyone of his caliber taking a job here.  Unless maybe Dan really overpays like the Raiders did to lure Gruden back.

31 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Please bookmark this.  Jay will be back in 2020.

I am not one of the Jay haters here so on my end its not about wishful thinking -- but I'd be stunned if he's back from a combination of three factors.

A.  If they wanted to bring Jay back in 2020, you typically give head coaches an extension before it.  My point is I think Jay having 2 years on his contract has contributed to him being back.  For Jay to come back I'd think Dan has to be really sold hard to give him an extension. 

B.  Sounds like behind the scenes Jay-Bruce (and I understand why they'd need to do this so don't fault them for it) bought another year in part by selling Dan that this will be a good year.  I don't think Jay could sell Dan about the 5th time (post 2015) will be a charm as for how things will break their way in 2020 to make the playoffs.

C.  Playing off point B.  Sounds like Bruce sold Dan that the fan apathy was an aberration and they will be back in 2019.  If Bruce is proven to be wrong on that front -- Dan will feel beyond desperate in 2020 for a splash.

Right now, I think the only thing that would save Jay is some young QB who shows promise where the feeling is the team is on the rise and you want Jay to keep grooming him.  So to that point the only thing that would work (if they don't make the playoffs) is lets say Colt starts 2-6 and then is benched for whichever young QB they draft and they go 6-2 or something like that.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:04 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Exactly. This headline may be better and more accurate :

"Against the wishes of many franchises in pursuit of his top tier talent, Horton chose to retire, as calls from all 32 teams poured in begging him to return to football, yet the Redskins were the only team attractive enough to convince him to come out of retirement"

It wasn't about the headline lol...it was about the fan "analysis." That's a level of analysis we see often here, when we sign a free agent or hire someone or what have you.

16 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Oh please, you've got to do better than "I dont like your incredibly rational argument so Ill just say you cant use it".

That you think it's "incredibly rational" kinda says all that needs to be said.

If an NFL team hasnt wanted to hire the guy for years, in the prime of his career, thats about as major a blow as you can have on a resume.

And yet we still hired Scot McCloughan---whoops, sorry, you meant the other guy. My bad.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

It wasn't about the headline lol...it was about the fan "analysis." That's a level of analysis we see often here, when we sign a free agent or hire someone or what have you.

Interesting. How often are the fans wrong, and those hires/acquisitions actually work out? 

This team is on point with the staffing changes. I wonder if we'll find out in training camp that we have a new DC, and that Manusky was fired in December.

This team is going to be such a dumpster fire next season. I hope it's at least a true disaster, 2-14 status, that way some meaningful changes can occur.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

This team is on point with the staffing changes. I wonder if we'll find out in training camp that we have a new DC, and that Manusky was fired in December.

This team is going to be such a dumpster fire next season. I hope it's at least a true disaster, 2-14 status, that way some meaningful changes can occur.

Dumpster fire next season? What do you call the past 20 years?

On 1/25/2019 at 11:00 PM, Peregrine said:

Oh please, you've got to do better than "I dont like your incredibly rational argument so Ill just say you cant use it".

If an NFL team hasnt wanted to hire the guy for years, in the prime of his career, thats about as major a blow as you can have on a resume.  The 32 smartest guys in the industry(or 15 of the smartest and then some schmucks) all decided he wasnt worth having.  Sometimes it makes sense to trust those that actually are experts AND unanimous over the wiseguy on the message board.

Besides, its hard to bring analysis on the past performance of his DB units because I threw away my VHS player, so I cant play his most recent tapes.

I would have to second the thought that simply saying he wasn't in football the past two years so it is a bad hire is not rational. Looking at his resume is more rational. As a DC, he had mixed results. Some good years, some not as good. As a DB coach, much more success than failure. including coaching the unit on the way to 2 SB victories. That stuff matters. And the experts thought enough of him that he was hired as a DC 4 different times in the past 10 years. And interviewed for HC at the end of two of those stints. Who knows, maybe he was holding out for a DC job, or just wanted to take some time off. Or maybe teams didn't think he was the right fit. Who knows. I just don't see how you could say bringing a guy like this is a bad hire. May not be the best, but i can't see it as bad.

And remember, Wade Phillips is on his way to his 2nd super bowl in 4 years. He has sat out a couple of years in the recent past, would you say experts didn't want him? I mean...many didn't want him that badly, we didn't evidently...the Broncos didn't want him badly enough to keep him...experts 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Would he consider coaching here?.. would he laugh about it..either way, again... like I said before, this also would be "bad ass"

Doesn't look like he's been a hot target or interviewed anywhere else... without a job, he may consider a lot of things. Him and hopefully Tomsula would be a good combo for the DL/LB's. 

8 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

How about Joey Porter..... that dude gets it. He'd have these LB's fired up and nasty

I know lots of Steelers fans that sincerely disliked him as a coach, and not bc of the arrest or whatever. He does not instill discipline and isn't really a fine technique guy apparently. 

^

Countdown till we hear the phrase "next Sean McVay", or "next HC of the Skins"

Seriously, what has he done in order to get "interest around the league" and be " high, high, highly regarded, in the NFL, in college football. " ?

Our QB play hasn't been that good, so Is it just an assumption that Gruden is a factory for grooming assistants into coaches ?

Or maybe the other teams are bluffing and trolling Snyder by calling and faking interest in O'Connell ?

Archived