Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The rest of the story: It's still in dispute, the money has been put in escrow, but as I said earlier, the Nats haven't seen it yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/22/nationals-masn-award/

Yep, I'm researching the status of the case and you are correct.  Can't find the current status of the appeal without using my firm's system (and then my firm will know I'm goofing off today :) ).  Best I can tell is Angelos is using his extremely high-powered attorneys at Boies Schiller Flexner to just delay.  

Edit:  Most recent publicly available holding is here: https://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/appellate-division-first-department/2020/index-no-index-no-652044-14-appeal-no-12147-12147a-12147b-case-no-2019-05390-2019-05458-2019-05459.html

The cross motions and stuff aren't publicly available so far as i can tell.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yep, I'm researching the status of the case and you are correct.  Can't find the current status of the appeal without using my firm's system (and then my firm will know I'm goofing off today :) ).  Best I can tell is Angelos is using his extremely high-powered attorneys at Boies Schiller Flexner to just delay.  

That's exactly what he's doing. It's probably cheaper for him and it ****s us over so it's win-win for C. Montgomery Angelos.

Edited by Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What's your point? More players than not are accepting deferrals, so what's the problem?

No one does it to the extent that the Nats do.  And they don't reinvest the savings in discount years to spend over the cap either.  And too many fans lap up the illusion created by the cap numbers and don't realize that the Lerners are not spending in amount commensurate with the market size.

MASN volatility could be a big issue for cash strapped owners, but that's not an issue for the Lerners.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, bearrock said:

No one does it to the extent that the Nats do.  And they don't reinvest the savings in discount years to spend over the cap either.  And too many fans lap up the illusion created by the cap numbers and don't realize that the Lerners are not spending in amount commensurate with the market size.

You keep saying this, ignoring all actual evidence to the contrary. What's your evidence? What should they be spending? You're acting like we're the Pirates.

Most recent holding is below.  Angelos moved to start over and completely reargue the case (what an asshole) but thankfully it was denied.  

2021 NY Slip Op 60154(U)

IN RE TCR SPORTS BROADCASTING HOLDING, LLP, Petitioner-Appellant, v. WN PARTNER, LLC, ET AL., Respondents, WASHINGTON NATIONALS BASEBALL CLUB, LLC, Respondent-Respondent, THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES BASEBALL CLUB, ET AL. NOMINAL, Respondents-Appellants.

Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of New York, First Department.

Decided January 7, 2021.

Petitioner-appellant TCR Sports Broadcasting Holding, LLP, and nominal respondents-appellants The Baltimore Orioles Baseball Club, et al. having moved for reargument of, or in the alternative, for leave to appeal to the Court of Appeals, from the decision and order of this Court, entered on October 22, 2020 (Appeal Nos. 12147, 12147A, 12147B).

Now, upon reading and filing the papers with respect to the motion, and due deliberation having been had thereon,

It is ordered that the motion is denied.

• Like 1

Gonna be a rough couple years, but replenish the farm system, go after some big time FA aces, and there's no reason why Rizzo can't turn this around, again.

I'm already assuming that Soto is gone atp tho. Best not do a Harper and let him walk. The MLB will have to give up something for his services.

That leaves Davey:

37 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Feels like a punch to get to the gut and a wake today.  Soto may be the next to go if they don't pay him to stay in order to be the face of the franchise.  2012-2019 was a helluva ride and now comes the rough times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Soto is a Boras client, so I assume he'll be gone once he hits FA.  

I guess we are building around 3 minor league pitchers and a catcher?

Stras is a Boras guy too. If we wanna keep him, he'll stay. But most likely he'll at least test the waters of FA.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Soto is a Boras client, so I assume he'll be gone once he hits FA.  

I guess we are building around 3 minor league pitchers and a catcher?

I want to believe they'll be able to lock him into a deal somewhere between Tatis and Trout, but the team is so transparently awful and will be for a while that it's hard to imagine a player of his talent level wanting to stick around. 

(I know Ruiz and Gray are poised to contribute next season, but considering the circumstances, 2022 and 2023 feel like lost seasons.) 

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I want to believe they'll be able to lock him into a deal somewhere between Tatis and Trout, but the team is so transparently awful and will be for a while that it's hard to imagine a player of his talent level wanting to stick around. 

(I know Ruiz and Gray are poised to contribute next season, but considering the circumstances, 2022 and 2023 feel like lost seasons.) 

I'm not sure. We were god awful in 2009. Two years later, 2011, we finished a game below .500. 2012 we had the best record in baseball.

We'll probably not be very good next year but I think we' can be a fringe Wild Card type team in 2023. And Soto already has a ring so he knows this franchise can build a winner, he might be willing to stick out a couple of losing seasons. Think Freddie Freeman when the Braves were in the midst of their transition as well.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Stras is a Boras guy too. If we wanna keep him, he'll stay. But most likely he'll at least test the waters of FA.

In the past decade, based on quick research, a total of 8 Boras clients have signed extensions.  None of them as big a name as Soto.  I would peg the chances of him staying at 5%.  Would love to have my mind changed on this.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You keep saying this, ignoring all actual evidence to the contrary. What's your evidence? What should they be spending? You're acting like we're the Pirates.

We defer way more than other MLB clubs.  You seriously disagree with this?  We deferred Max, Stras, Corbin, Murphy, Soriano, Wieters.  That's off the top I can recall (did we defer Zimmerman or Werth? Pretty sure at least Werth had some deferred money). LA deferred Betts, but not Kershaw, Bauer, Muncy, etc.  NY deferred  Lindor (relatively small portion) and De Grom, but not Cano (cant remember other big recent contracts).

Deferral can be great if making that last push for contention by going over the cap.  That's not what the Nats have done.  Even with nearly 20% of their cap deferred from 3 players alone, they didn't go over the cap.  It still worked out thanks to unbelievable accelerated maturation of Soto and a gem of a post season from Stras, but they forced Rizzo to leave a lot of unused spending room on the table.  

It will be one thing if they don't count the outgoing deferred payment in the payment years, but that appears highly unlikely.  Time will tell, but we've heard time and time again that they're letting the current star go because they have keep space for the next guy.  I'll happily shut up if Nats pony up to resign Soto.  But nothing the Lerners have done should give people any confidence that's actually going to happen.  And if they won't pony up above market for Soto in 2025, it will never happen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm assuming @PleaseBlitz isn't saying run at a continual lose, but instead dont blow up the team and drop out top 10 in payroll because of the pandemic.  Not when the owners are this wealthy in this large a market.  Correct me if I'm wrong, jus gut it out for a second, damn.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cash/

As bleak as things look here, at least we aren't 4th in payroll and still perennially suck like the Angels. 

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is patently untrue. The Dodgers have a $284m payroll. That's $85m more than the Yankees. They also signed a 25-yr $8.35B television contract--fangraphs lists their TV revenue at $239m. We received $77m, but due to the litigation, I am not sure we even got that. You want the Lerners to operate at a loss.

If you believe BBref, it appears teams are basically guaranteed approx $200 million / year due to revenue sharing, on top of some percentage of local revenue.  Of course teams have other costs besides player payroll …

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm assuming @PleaseBlitz isn't saying run at a continual lose, but instead dont blow up the team and drop out top 10 in payroll because of the pandemic.  Not when the owners are this wealthy in this large a market.  Correct me if I'm wrong, jus gut it out for a second, damn.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cash/

I'm saying they should run it at close to revenue-neutral, much higher (and at a loss) when then are contenders and lower when they aren't.  Everything we've seen from the Lerners is that they are pretty cheap, especially for their vast vast wealth.  They made about $50 million off the team in 2020 (a year without fans in the stadium), and that evidently does not include the millions in MASN money that they are due and will eventually get.  Their investment has also gained another $1.5 BILLION in value since they bought it.  During that time Rizzo has propped them up with some great management, and the Scherzer signing was a huge contract that turned out great.  Outside of Zimm and Strasburg, they've failed to retain all of their homegrown talent, Rendon, Harper, Turner, etc., i.e., the guys that fans tune in to see.  

I'm not mad they traded Scherzer, it was the smart move at the end of a great run.  I am upset they traded away Turner, who was really the only young franchise pillar they had outside of Soto.  

Your link has the Nats as 13th in "cash spending."  If you look at payroll, they drop to 16th and below league average.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3