Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

32 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

So the line up tomorrow is going to be:

RF: Soto

CF: Stevenson
LF: Parra
3B: Kieboom
SS: Escobar
2B: Garcia
1B: Zimm
C Barrera
Rotation is Fedde, Lester, Corbin, Ross, and...littering and...littering and?
We're looking at a top-10 pick.

Right now, it;s better to lose 95 than 85

Besides Bell, this was bound to be our lineup for the next couple of weeks anyway. What's up with Robles?

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Seems like we kinda made some good deals.

I'm honestly pretty excited about the future of this team. The more I'm reading the more it seems like a lot of these prospects are pretty close to MLB ready as well. And we have a ton of money at the same time.

• Like 1

Somehow I feel better knowing we did a fire sale instead of just selectively removing two expensive players. We really, truly are unrecognizable now.

Hell, why don't we ship Soto out too? We're too cheap to pay a top 5 player and there's no way this team is competitive until 2024 at the earliest. We're just wasting his youth. 

LMAO this article

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2021/7/26/22593655/tough-week-to-be-a-washington-nationals-fan-trade-deadline

First off, don’t get your hopes too high for a prospect haul for Max Scherzer, Juan Soto, or Trea Turner. If the Lerner family nixed trading Harper, they would be at least as antsy about trading Scherzer.

Although he was scratched from his last start Saturday night and said he’s prepared to make his next start on July 29, a trade it not out of the question, but Rizzo would certainly need to get some serious value in return for the three-time Cy Young award winner.

As a 10-year veteran with five years on his current team, Scherzer also has full rights to reject any deal.

Turner and Soto aren’t going anywhere.

Both are still arbitration eligible and playing at bargain salaries for players of their skill level, through 2022 and 2024 respectively. It would be foolish to trade either for anything less than high-priced, major league-ready talent and cash. Even multiple, low-level prospects would not return anything close to Turner’s or Soto’s current value, let alone what they’ll be worth when they hit their peak in four or five years.

A blockbuster deal like that does not make sense for a rebuilding team.

tenor.gif?itemid=5434278

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

I'm honestly pretty excited about the future of this team. The more I'm reading the more it seems like a lot of these prospects are pretty close to MLB ready as well. And we have a ton of money at the same time.

Man you are the eternal optimist lol.  Joey Sunshine.

Just be grateful for the World Series because its about to get real lean around here.  I love the sport but hate the way MLB operates.  Its an awful system they run but it is what it is.

The vast majority of these prospects never pan out to be anything significant.  Been happening to the O's for decades. Its the right move for this team to ship these guys but man, gonna be a long time before the Nats seriously contend.  That said, its baseball so decent chance they hang around the 65-70 win mark because you can accidentally cobble that together.  

Right decisions were made, but today was a funeral.  No way around that.

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Somehow I feel better knowing we did a fire sale instead of just selectively removing two expensive players. We really, truly are unrecognizable now.

Hell, why don't we ship Soto out too? We're too cheap to pay a top 5 player and there's no way this team is competitive until 2024 at the earliest. We're just wasting his youth. 

They should at this point.  Could get a ton for him.  No half measures.

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Man you are the eternal optimist lol.  Joey Sunshine.

Just be grateful for the World Series because its about to get real lean around here.  I love the sport but hate the way MLB operates.  Its an awful system they run but it is what it is.

The vast majority of these prospects never pan out to be anything significant.  Been happening to the O's for decades. Its the right move for this team to ship these guys but man, gonna be a long time before the Nats seriously contend.  That said, its baseball so decent chance they hang around the 65-70 win mark because you can accidentally cobble that together.  

Right decisions were made, but today was a funeral.  No way around that.

Ha well it's all just entertainment, so why not try to be positive..

This season wasn't going anywhere anyway. And the only guy traded so far that we weren't already losing after this season was Trea. That's a tough loss, but he seemed like he wanted out after next season anyway, and they can get a decent free agent SS this off-season with their new mountain of cash. We'll miss Max, but knew he was gone and only affects 1/4 of games.

Ya we'll suck the next year or 2, but we sucked the last 2 years as well, so it's nothing new. So ya, I'm happy we at least get a lot of potential out of it, and again.. we have $ for free agency if we want to get good fast again

7 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Ha well it's all just entertainment, so why not try to be positive..

This season wasn't going anywhere anyway. And the only guy traded so far that we weren't already losing after this season was Trea. That's a tough loss, but he seemed like he wanted out after next season anyway, and they can get a decent free agent SS this off-season with their new mountain of cash. We'll miss Max, but knew he was gone and only affects 1/4 of games.

Ya we'll suck the next year or 2, but we sucked the last 2 years as well, so it's nothing new. So ya, I'm happy we at least get a lot of potential out of it, and again.. we have $ for free agency if we want to get good fast again

Was with you until the final sentence.  The Lerners are cheap AF and not just with baseball.  I know this firsthand from other business dealings.  They are not going to throw $$ at this thing in the near future following these moves so don't get all hopeful about FA.  Maybe down the road they'll spend but for now you'll have better luck prying open a crocodiles jaws than their pursestrings.

Good on you man.  Hope it all works out.  Im just a very passive fan of the Nats and O's.  No matter what happens next, 2019 will always be real.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Same excuses I hear for Snyder. The Lerners are billionaires. Repeat. Billionaires. If they wanted to be competitive with the Dodgers, they could. They choose not to. 

Business is business.  And please don’t throw Snyder in any conversation with the Lerners ever.

Edited by -JB-

Man, this is seriously depressing.  Good, bad, ugly in the long run...whatever it ends up...it's ugly right now.  Trea in a Dodgers Uni?  I literally can't watch.  If I see him playing I'll turn my head or walk away.  Thought he could be a lifer.

2019 seems like it was a decade ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

All goes to the Dodgers.

This is huge to have all the deferred money go to the Dodgers. Fans need to realize that we are re-stocking out barren farm system while at the same time giving our selves the ability to bring in new star players with the freedom this allows us.  It might not make sense on the surface because fans love Trea Turner (I know fans more understand dealing Max at this stage of his career).  It just makes a ton of sense not to pay a guy in the roughly 300 mill range post 30 years old when you can stock your farm system with blue chip prospects and spend that kind of money to build a core group of guys for your next run instead of on only one guy.  Anthony Rendon getting 245 million and then underperform that contract in the first two years justifies these kind of moves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

This is huge to have all the deferred money go to the Dodgers. Fans need to realize that we are re-stocking out barren farm system while at the same time giving our selves the ability to bring in new star players with the freedom this allows us.  It might not make sense on the surface because fans love Trea Turner (I know fans more understand dealing Max at this stage of his career).  It just makes a ton of sense not to pay a guy in the roughly 300 mill range post 30 years old when you can stock your farm system with blue chip prospects and spend that kind of money to build a core group of guys for your next run instead of on only one guy.  Anthony Rendon getting 245 million and then underperform that contract in the first two years justifies these kind of moves.

What I saw on twitter is the dodgers only pay for the time Max is there. 

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1420927217929003008?s=20

Edited by just654

1 hour ago, just654 said:

What I saw on twitter is the dodgers only pay for the time Max is there. 

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1420927217929003008?s=20

Correct, there’s zero chance the Dodgers were going to pay Max $15m/yr that was accrued for the 6 years he pitched for us. We would have had to ship them prospects for that. They take on the $15m he’s owed in 2028, that’s it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Same excuses I hear for Snyder. The Lerners are billionaires. Repeat. Billionaires. If they wanted to be competitive with the Dodgers, they could. They choose not to. 

This is patently untrue. The Dodgers have a $284m payroll. That's $85m more than the Yankees. They also signed a 25-yr $8.35B television contract--fangraphs lists their TV revenue at $239m. We received $77m, but due to the litigation, I am not sure we even got that. You want the Lerners to operate at a loss.

• Thanks 1

• Riggo#44 changed the title to 2021 Washington Nationals Thread: End of an Era
12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is patently untrue. The Dodgers have a $284m payroll. That's $85m more than the Yankees. They also signed a 25-yr $8.35B television contract--fangraphs lists their TV revenue at $239m. We received $77m, but due to the litigation, I am not sure we even got that. You want the Lerners to operate at a loss.

While no fan would say no to one of the richest owners in baseball sugar daddy bankrolling the team's operations, that's not what people like PB or me are asking for.  But there's a happy medium between being the biggest spender in baseball and trying to wedge in major deferred dollars to every big contact (thus creating the illusion of the contract being bigger than it really is) and saying that you can't afford to keep one of the best players in baseball because you're gonna have 2-4 years left on big contracts for a pitcher and you want to pay another generational talent (whether you actually do is a whole different matter).  

Edited by bearrock

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

If we had a similar payroll to the Dodgers we’d be operating at a $100m+/yr loss. That sure isn’t sustainable.

Root issue of course is MLB’s revenue structure that allows for such a ridiculous competitive imbalance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Nationals lost so much money in the pandemic. Baseball teams receive a tremendous bump in attendance the year AFTER a championship. With that season being a wash and 2021 having capacity limits, covid anxiety plus time away, they really missed out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1