Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd rather see the Nats keep Soto instead of Turner.  Maybe it doesn't have to be an either/or situation but if they give Turner a bunch of money and can't extend keep Soto?  I dunno, I'd rather have Soto in the end.

And you're not turning into the Pirates, thats hyperbole.

There are several teams (ie LA) that now have 5+ All-stars, why can't we have 2 at a time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

They've given out big money contracts before.  Soto will require a lot but I don't think they can let him walk like they did Harper.

They can't.  But they will.  It will take above market value contract with no deferred money to keep Soto from testing free agency.  Nothing in the Lerner's history has shown that they will do either.

Time to extend Soto was before he hit arbitration years.  

• Like 2

Just now, bearrock said:

They can't.  But they will.  It will take above market value contract with no deferred money to keep Soto from testing free agency.  Nothing in the Lerner's history has shown that they will do either.

Time to extend Soto was before he hit arbitration years.  

I guess time will tell.  I'm remaining optimistic that they'll keep Soto a National for life.  He truly is a generational talent.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CRobi21 said:

They've been playing roulette with big pitcher contracts for years now and it might have bitten them in the ass.  Scherzer's deal was actually a steal for what he was able to provide.  But giving that money to an oft-injured Strasburg was a mistake even though everyone had the warm and fuzzies after the WS.  Corbin looks like a mistake so far.

Giving a $300 million deal to a SS who's speed is a big part of his game and will soon turn 30 has mistake written all over it.  That's $300 million they could give to Soto instead and they should.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I guess time will tell.  I'm remaining optimistic that they'll keep Soto a National for life.  He truly is a generational talent.

You won't find a single soul who disagree.  But if Lerners thought they need to pay whatever they need to keep him, they'd have extended him already.  Because his extension ain't getting any cheaper nor will the temptation of free agency lessen by waiting.

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Because we aren’t in the same class as Dodgers as far as revenue goes.

Not asking for LA roster.  But saying Nats can't pay two superstar bats is bull.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

You won't find a single soul who disagree.  But if Lerners thought they need to pay whatever they need to keep him, they'd have extended him already.  Because his extension ain't getting any cheaper nor will the temptation of free agency lessen by waiting.

Not asking for LA roster.  But saying Nats can't pay two superstar bats is bull.

There might be some merit to this, and you're definitely right that he's not getting any cheaper.  

9 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

That's BS.  No one is paying $300 million to Turner.  That's not a market value contract and if that is what it takes to resign him, yes they should let him walk.  

And by the time 2023 rolls around there would be 2 years left on Corbin and 4 years left on Strasburg.  If that's going to prevent them from paying for another superstar bat in addition to Soto, they might as well full embrace TB/A's method and trade Soto too.

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

And thus why baseball is broken.  You shouldn’t get to win just because you have bazillion dollars. 

Get to win?  Angels haven’t won **** and they paid Trout about a half billion plus Rendon about a quarter billion while still paying Pujol’s massive contract lol

• Like 1

it ****ing sucks that its the ****ing dodgers, but im slowly feeling better about this. max was gone regardless. and Trea was probably gone next year. it'll at least be nice to stop saying "we have the worst farm league there is" every single year. excited for the future, but hope we haven't completely driven Soto away now

1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

From what i've read, Boras won't let Soto even look at a contract until his last year

Make him an offer he can’t refuse I but he looks at something like 15 years 900 million-1 Billion

LOL we got ****ed so hard. 

I guess this is our punishment for winning that World Series...only the Dodgers are going to win two and already appeared in another two. We're not even going to be competitive again for another 3-5 years, if we bother to keep Soto, which we won't, even though he gave our franchise the only championship it'll have in our lifetimes. 

Never been more obvious that we're a B tier franchise at best that got DAMN lucky to even win one. MLB is no better than the NBA. You either root for the winners and enjoy life or root for losers and maybe get lucky one season out of twenty. 

Cheap ****s. I hope the park is empty the rest of the year. 

Edited by Bacon

Quick reading on the return… 

Ruiz- obviously the cornerstone of the deal. Better hitter than defender. Really good bat control and contact hitter. Super low K rate. Lot of upside here. He’s been in the minors forever, time to see if he lives up to the hype.

Gray- he’ll be in the rotation next year. Sneaky fastball that misses a lot of bats. 

Carrillo- Dodgers thought highly enough of him to add him to the 40 man roster to protect him. Seems to have some upside, but speculation is that he might be destined for the bullpen in the bigs. 

Casey- good defender with a cannon for an arm. Strikes out 33% of the time. That will need some work. 

• Thanks 1