Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

From what i've read, Boras won't let Soto even look at a contract until his last year

And Boras will tell Soto to keep looking the other way until FA begins unless Nats offer a contract so clearly above market value with no deferral that it's stupid not to sign.  Only way Soto resigns is if he offers a hometown discount or if Nats overpay.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

And Boras will tell Soto to keep looking the other way until FA begins unless Nats offer a contract so clearly above market value with no deferral that it's stupid not to sign.  Only way Soto resigns is if he offers a hometown discount or if Nats overpay.  It is what it is.

I didn't know Boras was Soto's agent.  That sucks.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I don’t know much behind baseball but it looks to me like we have up 2 of our top 5 players for peanuts and guys who may not ever even make the team.

We got a few guys that are projected to be some of the best players in baseball over the next decade for 2 older guys that we probably were going to lose in free agency for nothing

• Like 1

Just now, mammajamma said:

We got a few guys that are projected to be some of the best players in baseball over the next decade for 2 older guys that we probably were going to lose in free agency for nothing

How soon? I’m all for youth, but when I hear “best players in baseball” I don’t expect projects that are going from one farm system to another for a couple seasons first.

It's as much about our farm system as it is $$. We dealt away sooooooo many prospects since '12 trying to break through in the playoffs. Finally worked out in '19, but our minor leagues are bare bones. No organizational depth.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

How soon? I’m all for youth, but when I hear “best players in baseball” I don’t expect projects that are going from one farm system to another for a couple seasons first.

That's a good question, but these guys seem a lot closer than anybody else we have in our system. It also saves a ton of money for Soto, and we can always try for other rentals sooner if we think we're decent enough

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is the same bill of lies we were fed when they refused to sign Harper and then Rendon. 

Meanwhile the Dodgers have no issues. 

First of all we aren’t in the Dodgers tax bracket. It ain’t even close.  Second, we won a WS AFTER letting Harper walk & Rendon has been a bust so far with the Angels.  ****, so has Strasburg for us.  It works both ways with these massive contracts and to me MOST of the time it doesn’t lead to winning rings just because you’re willing to way overpay for your guys.  

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

First of all we aren’t in the Dodgers tax bracket. It ain’t even close.  Second, we won a WS AFTER letting Harper walk & Rendon has been a bust so far with the Angels.  ****, so has Strasburg for us.  It works both ways with these massive contracts and to me MOST of the time it doesn’t lead to winning rings just because you’re willing to way overpay for your guys.  

Same excuses I hear for Snyder. The Lerners are billionaires. Repeat. Billionaires. If they wanted to be competitive with the Dodgers, they could. They choose not to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thing I'm most mad at is I was so ready to root for Max on the Padres. That would've been such a fun team. Now both him and Trea are dead to me

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Just checking in, we’re keeping Sam Clay, right?  Dude is legit.

That guy for sure has dirt on Davey

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Same excuses I hear for Snyder. The Lerners are billionaires. Repeat. Billionaires. If they wanted to be competitive with the Dodgers, they could. They choose not to. 

Spending boatloads of money doesn't guarantee anything. The Dodgers win because they have a top notch FO and have some of the best analytics people in the business, and then amplify that with their spending, but they were pretty bad for a while.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Spending boatloads of money doesn't guarantee anything. The Dodgers win because they have a top notch FO and have some of the best analytics people in the business, and then amplify that with their spending, but they were pretty bad for a while.

Spending doesn't guarantee winning.  But it becomes extremely hard to win in baseball without spending.  Saying that it's too expensive to keep one of the best shortstops in the league because of you have to pay two other marquee pitchers and hopefully pay a generational talent is BS of the highest order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep, doesn’t guarantee anything. Just makes it WAY more likely.