Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If you have been witness to something great, you shouldn't cast it aside when it ends. Many aren't so lucky. If anything, use it to strengthen your resolve and belief that maybe, just maybe, you'll see that shooting star again. If anything, now is the time to put your confidence back in Mike Rizzo; he and Juan Soto are the present and future of this team and they are both extremely good at what they do. 

That was beautiful, Bacon. I think this sums up the last couple of days perfectly. I keep telling myself "don't be sad that it's over, rejoice that it happened." 

We got to watch a Hall of Famer every 5 days, and he will go into the Hall in our Curly W.

We got to watch this team grow from losing 298 games across three seasons, to one of the best teams over 9 years. Very few teams can say that at any point in their history.

And, we got to watch the most epic, improbable, unforgettable runs to a title, and that flag will fly for ****ing ever and no one can take it.

Now it's time to do it all over again. I'm ready. Let's go!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Should try to find someone to dump Corbin’s contract on. Nats would have to pay for a good bit of it. But he’d *at worst* one hell of a bullpen addition for the playoffs. 

At this point, hope he rebounds next year. We'd have to include Ruiz to get it done.

30 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Very logical moves, but I am really going to miss those two. I barely got to know Josh Harrison but he seems like an awesome dude lol

he quickly became my favorite (non-superstar) player on the team this year. he was so entertaining the watch, and always seemed like he was happy. definitely going to miss him

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Borgold said:

As a good a GM as Rizzo is, and he is very good, is he a poor drafter? Seems like forever since we've had good farm prospects rise up to be every day contributors (I could be wrong about this. I follow haphazzardly)

Drafting and developing is very difficult especially when you are living at the end of the draft for a very long time.  Take a look at Tampa, a strong organization that can’t really participate in FA, they only have two starting position players that they’ve drafted and developed.

9 minutes ago, Borgold said:

As a good a GM as Rizzo is, and he is very good, is he a poor drafter? Seems like forever since we've had good farm prospects rise up to be every day contributors (I could be wrong about this. I follow haphazzardly)

MLB draft is probably the biggest crapshoot out of any, and after 2012 we were consistently had and thus had consistently lower draft picks.

15 minutes ago, Borgold said:

He focuses his high picks on starting pitching, and those can be crap shoots. They can pay off huge, but the % of drafted pitchers that become productive MLB starters is way lower than, say, first round NFL WR. 

Of Rizzos last 10 first round picks, 8 have been pitchers. 

Theyve also largely been in contention, so young minor league prospects get traded for MLBers looking to fortify the current team. See Giolito, Lucas. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz