Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

This team is a deadly combination: mediocre, old, and expensive. Worse yet, there aren't a whole lot of reinforcements in the minors. The closest to the majors are all pitchers. This might get worse before it gets better.

For the 1st time in 10-12 years, I'm more excited about the WFT than I am about the Nationals.

I said this going into the year. The Nationals' front office is wasting our time if they are accumulating old, expensive players without seriously contending. If it weren't for the recent championship, we would be no better than the Angels or Knicks (prior to this season). Watchable mediocrity to keep ticket sales up is poison. 

We're going to have to savor 2019 for a while no matter what, but it could be a long time if Rizzo can't let go of the idea that this roster is a contender. The Cubs have been going through the same thing and could be on the brink of a fire sale.

Edited by Bacon

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

We're going to have to savor 2019 for a while no matter what, but it could be a long time if Rizzo can't let go of the idea that this roster is a contender. The Cubs have been going through the same thing and could be on the brink of a fire sale.

The one saving grace, which is also a problem, is the only real long term commitments we have are Strasburg and Corbin...which are not looking good, moving forward. 

We shed about $60m this offseason. However, Trea's last season is next year, I think. Soto is going to cost a ton to re-sign, if he does, which is questionable at best.

We'll need LF, 3 of 4 infield spots, and catcher next year-much like last offseason. We'll see if they pursue someone like Bryant, but Rizzo has never really gone after free agent position players. We need someone like Drew Mendoza to break out and become someone like Rhys Hoskins (which is his ceiling I think). Most of our position players are several years away, and lottery tickets. I'm not sure what to make of Luis Garcia.

This upcoming draft is very important, we have to hit on the #11 pick--our highest since taking Rendon in 2011. And, no more high schoolers! We've drafted Giolito, Kieboom, and Denaberg out of HS. Giolito finally developed in Chicago, Kieboom is a bust, and Denaberg has thrown about 4 pitches in his tenure so far. Not good, Bob.

So, while I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet and go full rebuild, it's not looking good. I wouldn't trade Scherzer, his value is much higher than anything we'd get back. I'd resign him to a Verlander type deal. 

So...we need to find some hits on position players. We haven't developed a drafted bat since Rendon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This is why I suggested the possibility of trading Scherzer. Obviously if we're contending that's different, but if we're like 5+ games out at the end of July and some team with title aspirations offers a haul? It'd be silly not to consider it.

That's a pipe dream. Greinke and Verlander, in similar situations, didn't net anything of any value for the Dbacks or Tigers. Teams aren't giving up prospects like they used to for aging rentals. We're better off resigning him--he's of much more value here than what we'd get.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's a pipe dream. Greinke and Verlander, in similar situations, didn't net anything of any value for the Dbacks or Tigers. Teams aren't giving up prospects like they used to for aging rentals. We're better off resigning him--he's of much more value here than what we'd get.

Probably, but you never know. All it takes is one desperate team and Rizzo has fleeced teams in the past.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

If we're still in it at the trade deadline, it's all moot.

But if we are out, it all depends on what offer is out there and what effect re-signing Max has on keeping Turner and making a serious offer on Soto.  If they end up turning down a decent offer, let Max walk, and make one of those deferred money heavy offers for Turner and Soto that gets turned down, that's probably the worst case scenario.

23 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

3.5 games out of first place.  No strasburg and no offense.  Someone like Bell or Kyle can get hot and carry this team. Just watch 

seems like the rest of the division is starting to find it's groove too, so better figure it out soon. or we're going to have a lot of games to make up over the summer

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Nats could both deal him this year and resign him next year.

^^^Josh Harrison sounds like a person you want on your team.  That was an awesome Mic'd up!^^^

Hi @Riggo#44, I come in peace!

My guess a series win for the Nats, frankly because the Phillies on the road have been terrible.  But just crazy to see the Nationals record this year, but its way early.  I loved the Bell signing, Zim back - I was for sure thinking they'd be fighting towards the top.  But I'll take it.  

Anyone been to Nats park yet?  Is it limited food options, limited activities?  Phillies have done a solid job with it so far.  All the main vendors are open, but have limited menus.

1 hour ago, superozman said:

Anyone been to Nats park yet?  Is it limited food options, limited activities? 

Yes, yes, and yes.

Some of the concession stands are closed. No eating or drinking on the concourse.  Unused seats are zip-tied off to keep distancing between clusters of people.  Masks are to be worn when up and about and when seated and not eating or drinking. 

But my God it was great to be sitting in the Park with the sun shining, Max on the mound, and a cold beer in my hands.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Yes, yes, and yes.

Some of the concession stands are closed. No eating or drinking on the concourse.  Unused seats are zip-tied off to keep distancing between clusters of people.  Masks are to be worn when up and about and when seated and not eating or drinking. 

But my God it was great to be sitting in the Park with the sun shining, Max on the mound, and a cold beer in my hands.

Same at Citizens Bank Park.  "Mask Up" is the motto for all the Phillies staff when not eating/drinking.

• Like 1

Maybe send Bell to the IL and get his ABs on a lengthy rehab assignment...

Also. Stop hitting him ****ing 3rd in the order while he's in wonderland at the plate.

Wouldja look at Herrera slap that ball down the LF line. That ball must have been talking back again.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

The commentating is painful to listen to. This dude sounds like someone random they grabbed off Half Street before the game

seems like a smart guy and sometimes he actually does say interesting things, but i dont know if ive ever listened to someone talk with less energy in their voice. he sounds bored by himself when he's talking and is completely monotone the whole time. his expertise might be good somewhere, but a job that relies on your voice for entertainment is not for him

going to be interesting to see what davey does tomorrow... i know he loves to stick with guys longer than most would, but this stat is ridiculous

Man, probably only the 2nd game I've watched of the Nats this season and that lineup just looks lost.  The flip side to that, sadly, is at some point they will turn it on.  The Phillies haven't done squat on the road with RISPs, utnil last night.  We shall see what tonight brings! 🍻🍻