Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

40 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

All in all, i thought the homeplate umpire had a good night last night. I dont remember any egregious misses, although Springer definitely should have been out in the first. We did benefit from a pretty blatant missed catcher's interference

Hopefully the rest of the umps will continue to play the background role.

he seemed to have an excellent sense of the strike zone and he called it consistently.  It was a relief after some of the mess from the NLCS.

11 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Davey did a good job in his postgame presser of not giving the Astros any material, but clearly saying that his guys ain't scared of ****

He comes off as genuine and respectful and very grateful to be the manager of these guys.  I can see why they love playing for him.

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Mr. Sinister go eat a turkey.

would I die if I ate the Turkey giblets raw?  I want to at least see if we win.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Observation: Before game 1 Astros fans were ****y as hell....and they are still ****y as hell.

Whatever.

Tonight we end that ****.

im wondering if them being completely dead last night in the stadium helped relieve some of the WS jitters for the Nats. the crowd was putting me to sleep, so im sure that helped our guys relax a little quicker than usual

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Astros fans complaining about Soto's shuffle are the same ones tripping over themselves defending Osuna and Taubman.

If they want to enforce THE CODE, maybe start with Springer watching his not-dinger instead of running out the shoulda-been triple (which would have then been the tying run).  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If they want to enforce THE CODE, maybe start with Springer watching his not-dinger instead of running out the shoulda-been triple (which would have then been the tying run).  

That was almost point shaving bad. Couldn't believe it.

Meanwhile our boy didn't need to watch as anything, as his ball hit their toy choo choo train.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It is amazing how genuine and intelligent both Martinez and Rizzo sound when discussing the team and MLB. I listen to Rizzo on 106.7 in the mornings when he comes on and he can call-back players, situations, innings, outs, pitch counts, location, speed of pitches and similarly for the other team as well. Compare that to Bruce Allen, who sounds like an idiot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dyst said:

It is amazing how genuine and intelligent both Martinez and Rizzo sound when discussing the team and MLB. I listen to Rizzo on 106.7 in the mornings when he comes on and he can call-back players, situations, innings, outs, pitch counts, location, speed of pitches and similarly for the other team as well. Compare that to Bruce Allen, who sounds like is an idiot.

FTFY

I was thinking the same thing. The professionalism of the Nationals and Capitals compared to the Redskins is night and day. Rizzo answers the questions, diplomatically, but still measured. Allen just insults everyone's intelligence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Do you guys think Davey is managing this like he has to win this in 5 vs 6 and 7.  I'm not sure his strategy to go 1-0 can realy work over a 7 game series. Am i overthinking this?

Precisely what are you referring to that isn't sustainable? Using a rotation pitcher for a single inning of relief, 3-4 days before he's schedule to start? 

15/4 vs 10/5.

That's the baserunners to runs ratio for Game 1. If you are the Astros, that's the saving grace of the loss. Their gameplan really couldn't have gone better except Cole served up three terrible pitches, and Altuve, Brantley, and Bregman left a lot of guys stranded.

That's more baserunners than they had in any win in the Yankees series.

On the flip side, man, you got to freaking Scherzer early and often and still lost Game 1 at home. That hurts.

I do think this is what makes baseball so awesome. I don't think it's controversial to say that on paper - position by position - the Astros are more talented. In most sports, if the more talented team executes its game plan perfectly, it's not really a contest. Yet, in baseball, what happened last night can literally happen four times in a row in a series.

36 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Precisely what are you referring to that isn't sustainable? Using a rotation pitcher for a single inning of relief, 3-4 days before he's schedule to start? 

I think it is possible that Davey isn't planning on Corbin to be the workhorse if there's a game 7.  We're likely looking at the following schedule for games 2-6.

2: Stras

3: Sanchez

4: Corbin

5: Max

6: Stras

If Corbin pitches game 7, it would be on a short rest.  Now, it's entirely possible that the staff and Corbin feel like yesterday's workload isn't enough to prevent a short rest throw on game 7 after a game 4.  But you could also have Corbin in game 3 and that would make him available for full rest game 7 without yesterday's load.  Or Davey could be thinking using Corbin to help secure game 1 was valuable enough to limit him to short rest game 7, especially since you can ride two day rest Max and last game of the season Stras for limited relief (I think Davey was right to take this approach to game 7).  So if there's a game 7, you could have 4-5 inning corbin, inning each from Max, Stras, and Sanchez depending on whether you need 2 or 3 innings to get to 8th and 9th for Doo and Hudson.  

• Like 1

I don't think there is any indication yet that Corbin is getting moved behind Sanchez.  Corbin threw 20 pitches on a day he'd normally throw a bullpen anyways. So just keep him slotted for game 3.  

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Do you guys think Davey is managing this like he has to win this in 5 vs 6 and 7.  I'm not sure his strategy to go 1-0 can realy work over a 7 game series. Am i overthinking this?

I mean, once you have a lead on the Astros in the 5th against Cole, you manage to win that game at all costs no matter what.  You can't give that game back to Houston because you are worried about your bullpen depth in games 6 and 7 (which may not happen).  And hell, Davey brought in Rainey with a 3 run lead, that was him trying to preserve the $$$ arms.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think there is any indication yet that Corbin is getting moved behind Sanchez.  Corbin threw 20 pitches on a day he'd normally throw a bullpen anyways. So just keep him slotted for game 3.  

I would think that you have the luxury to pitch Corbin in game one knowing that he can pitch game 4 on regular rest.  With that said, I don’t think there’s any reason to throw Corbin in game 3 even if he only threw 21 pitches in game 1.  Sanchez has been money.