Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I did just want to pop my head in and say "congrats and (sorta) farewell" to Chelsea Janes who will not be covering the team this year and will, instead, be covering the madness that will be the 2020 Election. I know she will do an excellent job on the political desk, just as she did on the Nationals' beat. 

• Like 4

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813919-bryce-harper-rumors-nationals-offered-much-more-than-300-million

Even after signing pitcher Patrick Corbin to a six-year, $140 million contract earlier this offseason, it appears the Washington Nationals still have plenty of money to offer 2015 National League MVP Bryce Harper.

The Athletic's Jim Bowden reported Friday that Washington's latest offer was "much more than the $300 million being reported by the media."

HMM....

apparently I can't read.... 

Edited by OVCChairman

Personally, I think that once Machado signs somewhere, the Bryce deal will fall into place quickly. That's what I've been reading for months and it seems to be heading that way as Machado's suitors become more defined.

No idea where Bryce will go, but it seems common sense that his options will become clearer once the market settles, and that the Nationals could wind up looking very appealing as more teams back out.

Edited by Bacon

40 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Wait, Jim Bowden writes for the Athletic? Who in the holy hell is going to pay for Jim Bowden's analysis??? It's not worth listening to him when it's free!!!

I know, Grant Paulsen too. There are a couple of people I like on the Athletic--but not worth buying. I like Fangraphs just fine, and it's free

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I know, Grant Paulsen too. There are a couple of people I like on the Athletic--but not worth buying. I like Fangraphs just fine, and it's free

Asked my friend about it this morning because he subscribes and I’ve been considering it. He said he’s probably dropping it because they’ve brought on so many new people that churn out content that it’s turning into the same filler trash (power rankings, etc) that ESPN pushes.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Chelsea Janes' farewell to the Nats Beat: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/04/after-four-years-covering-nats-goodbye-now/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f195713e3365

she'll be missed, I loved reading her articles.

Last season she was on 980 when I think Smokin' Al was filling in. The topic of Gio came up and she sounded over all his issues and meltdowns. Was really impressed she just called him out when others kind of danced around how easy it was for him to get off his game. The way a catcher calls the game, an error behind him, the talking to himself on the mound. I really like Gio, but man was that tiresome.

Will miss her coverage of the team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So what is the deal with the Dodgers moving some pieces out and now not making the move?

Ya wonder if that wasn't their plan all along, and getting Harper would be a bonus.  They could have waited til Harper signed to make the room (or some of it).  To do it prior to a contract being signed, then be stuck standing there wondering what happened would be a terrible move.  

• Like 1

Dodgers are idiots for nuking that team without having Harper signed, I don't care what their plan was.

Every time I see this thread get bumped, I expect bad news, but am starting to believe if Manny signs first, the rest of the league will look at Harper and say "hey, you aren't worth that" and he'll come back home.

• Like 2

Only thing that has changed for me is that I believe even MORE than the Nats are making a strong effort to keep Harper here for his whole career.

No idea what the Dodgers or Yankees or Phillies are or aren't trying to do. No clue what the value for Machado is and if teams were turned off by his stint in LA. Seems that he was a good baseball fit for that org.