Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

28 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

No idea what the Dodgers or Yankees or Phillies are or aren't trying to do. No clue what the value for Machado is and if teams were turned off by his stint in LA. Seems that he was a good baseball fit for that org.

Not with Seager returning and Turner at 3B. 

Just now, Burgold said:

I thought the Nats said or implied they couldn't afford that offer anymore and took it off the table?

Mark Lerner gave the interview on 106.7 after Fanfest I think, saying that they can't go higher and probably can't do it anymore even if Harper circles back to them.

I doubt Mark Lerner is stupid enough to make inner details of front office thinking public without it being a smoke screen or some other reason.

Either that or Papa Lerner said F it, I'm 92 and I want a ring now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Idk about posturing, if it’s false it would basically be an outright lie; what team would want to work with Boras if he constantly did that?

i think it’s more likely they put out a good offer they knew would be ‘under-market-value’... signed a bunch of other guys with his money, and acted like they couldn’t spend more on him, so they could say they don’t ‘need’ him. 

All the while knwoing they they would come back in with a stronger team, and be able to say, “hey we feel we’ve already got a great team with more weapons, and having you back would put us over the top, so we’re willing to up the offer to make it happen. Let’s win a championship”

that all plays way better than waiting to see if he’ll re-sign before doing anything else, keeping you hostage with the same team he was just on.

hopefully this is a master stroke by the FO; and I don’t sound like an idiot a week from now 😂

Edited by LLandryistheshiz
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I do wonder about Rizzo's involvement here.  I hope he's a part of it, and it's not JUST the Lerner's controlling this.  i'm worried that he's getting over run with this and left and right aren't working together.  

In this case, I don't care.

I NEED a Harper, Robles, Soto outfield. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

at the forfeit of a Rendon / Turner-less infield?

Well, as with all things (Yankees/Dodgers, etc.) that really only depends on your stomach for paying the luxury tax.  They could technically pay out enough to keep everyone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Well, as with all things (Yankees/Dodgers, etc.) that really only depends on your stomach for paying the luxury tax.  They could technically pay out enough to keep everyone.

I agree, which is why I hope Rizzo is part of this.  What I would hate to have happen is the Lerners strike this deal now, then in 6 months Rizzo goes to the Lerners and says "here's the contract for Rendon" and they look at him and say "too bad, we gave that money to Bryce."   Then have the same thing happen in another year or so with Turner.  I'm not saying it's an either / or, but I could see how if Rizzo is not included now... then it could change the dynamic later.  

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

It doesn't have to be that way but yeah, I'll sacrifice one of them IF necessary.

It doesn't HAVE to be, but my personal money is on Rizzo being the smartest person in that front office.  If he's involved, it's very likely that him and the Lerners have discussed Rendon and Turner, and that's all I can hope for.  If they haven't, then my concern is that when those bridges come, we wont cross them and I think that's a huge mistake.  I actually would have a problem sacrificing one of them IF necessary because its a short sided thought process.  If you want to go 'ALL IN' to win, then you do it, but to spend that kind of money on 1 player to further bolster an outfield at the complete expense of potentially one whole side of your infield would be a mistake.   I'm not dense enough to not understand that Rendon / Turner have a say on whether they stay or not and that's yet to be determined either.  I understand that Harper's negotiating NOW so we need to look at the NOW, but I really hope the Lerners don't come out of this telling Rizzo... "too bad" that money is gone now.  If we're willing to go over the Lux tax for Harper, we should be willing to do it for the other 8 positions on the field as well.  

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

at the forfeit of a Rendon / Turner-less infield?

Only people that think we shouldn't spend the money fear that.  This override, and I totally believe that's what it is, is making clear they can and will bring them all back.  If Harper resigns, it means we're all in, and that's what I want.  Boston and New York are just too loaded to try and thrift shop our way past them.

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Only people that think we shouldn't spend the money fear that.  This override, and I totally believe that's what it is, is making clear they can and will bring them all back.  If Harper resigns, it means we're all in, and that's what I want.  Boston and New York are just too loaded to try and thrift shop our way past them.

I hope you're right.  I'm all for going all in, i wasn't saying I don't agree with signing Harper, just that I sure hope Rizzo is part of it.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I hope you're right.  I'm all for going all in, i wasn't saying I don't agree with signing Harper, just that I sure hope Rizzo is part of it.. 

I saw your other post after that, I agree with not getting caught in the moment and getting cold feet when the credit card bill comes in the mail.  There's no cap, either act like it or don't act like it, were competing for rings with team that don't.  

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1

The main reason I would be really happy to have Harper back is that our lineup NEEDS some pop. Without him, it's still a high average club, but HRs would be sparse. 

I'm still concerned about first and second base. I feel like someone needs to be shifted over for the loss we're taking from trading/not retaining Murphy. Dozier would help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Social media:

"Bryce Harper will be a Cub ,Phillie, Dodger, Yankee etc. He's great."

"He might return to the Nationals. Good, he sucks. Let the Nationals handcuff themselves."

You coulda wrote and saved this post 5 months in advanced, this response was so predictable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Social media:

"Bryce Harper will be a Cub ,Phillie, Dodger, Yankee etc. He's great."

"He might return to the Nationals. Good, he sucks. Let the Nationals handcuff themselves."

Also works for Patrick Corbin.

I will say this about all these "reports," how many times have we seen talking heads say "XX team is OUT on YY player." Only for XX team to end up signing YY player--weren't the Red Sox out on Martinez at one point last year?

• Thanks 1