Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They need to stop calling it a wall if its not a f'n wall.  Making up your minds!!!

Wall, fence, barrier, force field, etc are just stupid distracting talking points.  Focusing on the exact term is a misdirection.  One that apparently works.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I mean, I think that Chuck and Nancy did a better job of speaking to me than Trump.

Bruh lol

Anyway, this seemed like more hype than anything. I didn’t listen. Was it?

Edited by Llevron

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Wall, fence, barrier, force field, etc are just stupid distracting talking points.  Focusing on the exact term is a misdirection.  One that apparently works.

I warned yesterday that Dems were running out of time before they started getting equal blame regardless of who was right or the BS talking points.  I was not kidding, we stop getting food stamps or no tax refunds, it will happen, watch.  Both sides need to stop treating this like an inconvenience to people.

I'm seriously happy he didn't declare a national emergency and we're talking fence again.  I'm sure some will look at this as we're going nowhere fast, and ya, I still think this goes 30 days, but years or constitutional crises, not anymore.

9 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Oh, what was that stat about drug deaths and Americans killed in Vietnam?  Was that one accurate?

Looks like more than 72,000 drug deaths in 2017.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

58,220 in Vietnam

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics

Ok, I'm turning this off.  I switched to CNN, they aren't focusing on facts, they are throwing jabs with their opinions of the facts.  This is too personal to take either of those channels seriously, I tried.

@TheGreatBuzz you know what else annoys me about this?  Absolutely the number of people dying from drugs is out of control, but a wall by itself won't fix that.  It might help, but this is a bigger problem, and we aren't talking about decriminalizing, legalizing, or going after big pharma at all.  This is not just about what other countries are sending us, this is very much about what we are doing to ourselves as well.

People are losing their **** and now their paychecks over something that might help in complex issue, but won't fix complex issues.

• Like 3

Opioid drug abuse is a genuine crisis in America.  Of course it's not gonna be solved by a dumb ass wall.  If Trump proposed spending 5 billion, hell 500 billion to comprehensively solve this problem, I think he would see a lot more support than a stupid wall.

https://delphihealthgroup.com/blog/where-do-opioids-come-from/

Based on the reports from the 2017 NDTA, there are eight primary Mexican cartels controlling production and distribution through hubs in major U.S. cities. While these illicit opioids are still frequently smuggled across the southwest border of the U.S. in regular cars as well as tractor trailers, it is becoming more common for heroin to be trafficked into the country by air and sea, specifically in the northeast New England area. This is a significant factor in why heroin overdose deaths are clustered in that region since states like New Jersey, Maryland, and New Hampshire are all along major trafficking routes.

While fentanyl can be obtained from health care facilities on an extremely restricted basis and is sometimes diverted for misuse, the CDC reports that this represents only a small fraction of available fentanyl. Instead, the overwhelming majority of fentanyl that is abused in the U.S. comes from China and Mexico and is often either mixed in with heroin or pressed into counterfeit pills meant to resemble prescription opioids.

While is often smuggled into the U.S. across the northern and southwestern borders by way of parcels mailed from China to either Canada or Mexico, through the use of dark web Internet drug markets, fentanyl from China can often be mailed directly to the purchaser’s home.

Large-scale shipments of fentanyl are frequently seized at the border to Mexico, but these are generally very low quality and have an average potency of only seven percent, as compared to the much smaller volumes mailed directly to the U.S. from China, which average a staggering 90 percent purity level.

Fentanyl from China can be extremely difficult for law enforcement officials to properly trace back to the source due to the use of long chains of custody where the package is passed between multiple freight forwarders and often incorrectly labeled and manifested to avoid detection. China and other foreign countries will also supply the pill presses needed to create counterfeit fentanyl pills in the U.S., mislabeling the equipment or sending it in disassembled shipments to avoid having to notify the DEA, as is the law with all purchases of a pill press.

In order to stem the mass quantities of fentanyl being shipped into the U.S., in 2017, Beijing reclassified fentanyl, carfentanil, and several other fentanyl analogs as controlled substances, making it much more difficult to send out of China. This proved to be an effective measure in 2015 when China similarly scheduled more than 100 other synthetic substances, and it resulted in a decrease in availability in the U.S. Hopefully, this will prove to be the case with fentanyl as well.

• Like 1

@Renegade7
Trump spent his time talking about the border crisis. I really didn't turn on the TV in time (moving from car to house after Trump) so I missed most of Nancy but Schumer made a very good pivot to hit the point that the shutdown is the crisis and is hurting millions of Americans.

Trump didn't acknowledge the pain he is inflicting on Fed workers and others (contractors, hello HUD landlords, hello, food stamp recipiences) -- I suppose he believes they are Dems.

The Chamber of Commerce just came out against the shutdown.

If the Dems cave, why wouldn't Trump shut government down every month for his demands -- it is not governance. This is a temper tantrum about a wall the GOP wouldnt even fund....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@Renegade7
Trump spent his time talking about the border crisis. I really didn't turn on the TV in time (moving from car to house after Trump) so I missed most of Nancy but Schumer made a very good pivot to hit the point that the shutdown is the crisis and is hurting millions of Americans.

Trump didn't acknowledge the pain he is inflicting on Fed workers and others (contractors, hello HUD landlords, hello, food stamp recipiences) -- I suppose he believes they are Dems.

The Chamber of Commerce just came out against the shutdown.

If the Dems cave, why wouldn't Trump shut government down every month for his demands -- it is not governance. This is a temper tantrum about a wall the GOP wouldnt even fund....

You really don't have to tell me about the threat of him using this tactic over and over again because I felt that way a minute ago and talking to people today that don't know if they'll be working in a week or two, my own co-workers.  

This is the wrong conversation.  We need to get the government open and pass a law that prevents government shutdowns, like putting government spending at same levels if nothing is voted on or agreed to.  Federal Funding should stay static if its not agreed to, not stopped.  Both sides are idiots for not proposing this and fighing for it as a response to now multiple shutdowns in just the last couple years.  This has to be the last straw, this is only about letting Trump do this over and over again if we let him do it over and over again.  

Congress can override vetoes with 2/3rds approval in both chambers, anyone can correct me on this, but do we really need the president to end the shutdown?

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@TheGreatBuzz you know what else annoys me about this?  Absolutely the number of people dying from drugs is out of control, but a wall by itself won't fix that.  It might help, but this is a bigger problem, and we aren't talking about decriminalizing, legalizing, or going after big pharma at all.  This is not just about what other countries are sending us, this is very much about what we are doing to ourselves as well.

People are losing their **** and now their paychecks over something that might help in complex issue, but won't fix complex issues.

Part of the problem is focusing on the shiny object the media gives us.  A while back, someone was talking about the deaths from a certain topic.  I may be off on what the topics were but my point remains.  I think it was someone talking about the number of child deaths from gun violence.  I pointed out that the deaths from drunk driving (again, may be misremembering the topics but I know my topic had far larger number of deaths) were far larger.  But the media focuses on topics that seem more interesting but statistically case less deaths.  Point being, if we care about the largest causes of American deaths, we should have 2r hour coverage of things like a proper diet.  But we don't.  Ever wonder why?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Point being, if we care about the largest causes of American deaths, we should have 2r hour coverage of things like a proper diet.  But we don't.  Ever wonder why?

I do, and I know why.  Government is allowed to do research and pass laws to deal with drunk driving.  They are allowed to do research and pass laws to deal with cancer and poor nutrition.  They refuse to allow research on gun violence or pass any form of gun control.  Its a different conversation because of what we're doing about the primary causes of death in this country.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I thought Pelosi Schumer did better than Trump, though I am definitely biased. Trump delivered tired talking points while sucking air audibly through his nostrils. Pelosi/Schumer,while visually awkward, were at least on topic and comparatively coherent.

Still better than Trump?  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I do, and I know why.  Government is allowed to do research and pass laws to deal with drunk driving.  They are allowed to do research and pass laws to deal with cancer and poor nutrition.  They refuse to allow research on gun violence or pass any form of gun control.  Its a different conversation because of what we're doing about the primary causes of death in this country.  

So you think we talk about gun violence more because lack of research?  But cancer and poor nutrition, which causes more deaths, don't get talked about because they are researched?

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

So you think we talk about gun violence more because lack of research?  But cancer and poor nutrition, which causes more deaths, don't get talked about because they are researched?

Yep, the government refuses to even try to figure out why gun violence is happening the way it is or what to do about it. Bills not even getting a vote.  At the same time they are throwing subsidies and grants to health research to point pharmaceuticals can direct it right to marketing and still turn a profit.  With mass murders going up, yes, more needs to be done about an issue that kills less people when close to nothing is being done about it.  In contrast to how we address some the other ones, trucks loads of money and at least having the conversation about how the government can help or get out the way.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I haven't looked at the numbers but I'm sure there are orders of magnitude difference between the people who served in Vietnam and the US population now. 300 + million people and Trump justifies his policies on a handful of incidents.

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I haven't looked at the numbers but I'm sure there are orders of magnitude difference between the people who served in Vietnam and the US population now. 300 + million people and Trump justifies his policies on a handful of incidents.

Yep, its why I hate statistics, but why we say stuff like "1 per 100,000".

Having said that, one funeral sucks, and that's the card the conservative media is running with.  Most everything else they say is BS, but not that.

Edited by Renegade7

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yep, its why I hate statistics, but why we say stuff like "1 per 100,000".

Having said that, one funeral sucks, and that's the card the conservative media is running with.  Most everything else they say is BS, but not that.

Right, let's talk about gun deaths at the hands of US citizens.

• Like 1