Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Admiring the theme in this thread that young people might make gaffes, so therefore the Dem Party needs to turn to Joe Biden as their figurehead.  

That's a solid misunderstanding of my post.

Like I said before, those two have been front and center of this en passe from the start. Let them lead it. 

And then let AOC and the young lions and lionesses come out and preach the gospel on the talking head shows to move the culture forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Or Adderall.

Doesn't surprise me at all.  It explains quite a bit.  Not just the cracked out rage tweeting from his toilet in the early morning hours but also his Mussolini impression at his little protofascist rallies.

What a ****ing dork.  70 years old and snorting his adderall like a 14 year old edge lord.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

#bothsides

Everyone who knows anything about border security says the same things about what a stupid and useless idea the wall is.

It is nothing more than Trump's pipe dream of building a monument to white supremacy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

The Dem house already voted to end the shutdown.  Skippy the Turtle announced before they even passed it that he wouldn't even allow the Senate to vote on the bills, because he doesn't have Donald Trump's permission to vote on it.  

The Dems would love to end the shutdown.  They just aren't willing to end it by giving in to the demands that Fox News made.  

Donald Trump would love to end the shut down under his terms too. Those talking points mean nothing.

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

And then let AOC and the young lions and lionesses come out and preach the gospel on the talking head shows to move the culture forward.

She's the trendy name, but Dems want to put forward a reasonable, earnest face who can prosecute the case and be taken seriously by people on both sides (or, at least, the left and the middle).  I love AOC, but she has a different role to play.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

She's the trendy name, but Dems want to put forward a reasonable, earnest face who can prosecute the case and be taken seriously by people on both sides (or, at least, the left and the middle).  I love AOC, but she has a different role to play.  

I didn't call her the new face/leader of the party. I just said she is moving it forward on these talking head shows.

And tbh, in American politics of today who actually can be taken seriously on both sides? It's been polarized since Obama won in 2008. That person is a unicorn right now.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I didn't call her the new face/leader of the party. I just said she is moving it forward on these talking head shows.

And tbh, in American politics of today who actually can be taken seriously on both sides? It's been polarized since Obama won in 2008. That person is a unicorn right now.

She was on 60 Minutes to talk about herself.  When i hear "the talking head shows" i think of the Sunday shows, which is where you need experts on whatever the issue is and people with a background in arguing their case.  Not social media phenoms.  

Here are the people I listed, along with their primary credentials:

Ted Lieu - Lawyer for the Air Force. 

Tulsi Gabbard - Military

Joe Kennedy - Harvard educated lawyer and a freaking Kennedy

Conor Lamb - Ivy educated lawyer, Marine, former prosecutor

Abigail Spanberger  - Former CIA agent and expert in national security

Jennifer Wexton - Prosecutor.  

They can all be taken seriously by serious people on both sides, even if there are only a precious few of them on the right.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

She was on 60 Minutes to talk about herself.  When i hear "the talking head shows" i think of the Sunday shows, which is where you need experts on whatever the issue is and people with a background in arguing their case.  Not social media phenoms.  

Here are the people I listed, along with their primary credentials:

Ted Lieu - Lawyer for the Air Force. 

Tulsi Gabbard - Military

Joe Kennedy - Harvard educated lawyer and a freaking Kennedy

Conor Lamb - Ivy educated lawyer, Marine, former prosecutor

Abigail Spanberger  - Former CIA agent and expert in national security

Jennifer Wexton - Prosecutor.  

They can all be taken seriously by serious people on both sides, even if there are only a precious few of them on the right.  

You know who I would want to talk about immigration? A person who is an expert on immigration. None of these people are, and neither are the people on these shows.

Back to the OG point, Chuck and Nancy been leading on this issue from the jump and have made Trump and the GOP look like idiots. Let them continue leading on this issue because what they are doing is working.

• Like 1

I disagree that they made Trump look any worse than he made himself look last night.  They are terrible in that role.  Terrible.  

Edit:  Also, none of this has anything to do with serious immigration policy.  This is about Trump's ego and a stupid wall that no legit immigration expert takes seriously from a policy standpoint.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Donald Trump would love to end the shut down under his terms too. Those talking points mean nothing.

But only side chose to link these two objects.  

And only one side is demanding something change.  

But yeah, we get it.  If Trump were King then there wouldn't be a fight, therefore #bothsides.  

(And I love the irony of somebody trying to announce that the Dems are responsible for the shutdown because they are not complying with the orders of the person who, you know, ordered the shutdown, throwing out the label of "talking points".)  

• Thanks 1

Trump's case for declaring a national emergency keeps getting weaker. My understanding was it is a mechanism to respond rapidly when the legislative process can not work quickly enough. His case is if the legislative process drags on without yielding a resolution he likes he will invoke it. Every day that passes makes his case less tenable.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1083053484054855682

Edited by RedskinsFan44

2 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Trump's case for declaring a national emergency keeps getting weaker. My understanding was it is a mechanism to respond rapidly when the legislative process can not work quickly enough. His case is if the legislative process drags on without yielding a resolution he likes he will invoke it. Every day that passes makes his case less tenable.

He does not care if it's legal or moral.  

And neither do his supporters or his enablers.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

He does not care if it's legal or moral.  

And neither do his supporters or his enablers.  

Hopefully the courts will.

Add: I also think this is not helpful in negotiations, because I bet there are some Democrats who believe that if he does that it would wreck his presidency.

Edited by RedskinsFan44

25 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Don't forget that his response to an urgent national emergency is to build a wall (that will take many years to build).  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Add: I also think this is not helpful in negotiations, because I bet there are some Democrats who believe that if he does that it would wreck his presidency.

You think there are Democrats who think Trump's Presidency wasn't a wreck from Day One?  :) 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

But only side chose to link these two objects.  

Because he wanted to do something and shutting down the government was his only leverage. 

It doesn’t make him solely responsible for it. If Democrats wanted to end the shutdown tomorrow they could do it. So they are responsible for it too.

And only one side is demanding something change.  

But yeah, we get it.  If Trump were King then there wouldn't be a fight, therefore #bothsides.  

The democrats clearly believe that not funding a wall is more important than funding the government. (And vice versa). 

If it makes you feel better, think of it as “democrats deserve credit for the shutdown because they are standing up to Trump and working to ensure that the Statue of Liberty remains the symbol of America, not some expensive ineffective wall”

its the same thing really.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

8 minutes ago, twa said:

Where is urgent required in the authority?

In the word "emergency"?

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If Democrats wanted to end the shutdown tomorrow they could do it. So they are responsible for it too.

Got it.  

If today the House Dems were to announce that they will not approve any federal spending measures whatsoever until Trump and Pence both resign, without appointing any replacements, (thus creating President Pelosi), then the shutdown will be Trump's fault.  Because, hey, he could end it tomorrow simply by doing what the people who actually shut down the government are demanding as ransom.  

The fact that he did not link his resignation to the functioning of the government, nor is he demanding any concessions on his own, are "talking points".  

He's not following orders, ====> his fault.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, twa said:

How long does a emergency last?

Urgent seems to mean a very long time.

I spent some time as a contractor writing computer programs for the Navy in a building called the "Navy Annex".  A temporary government building across the street from the Pentagon created for WW2.  

• Haha 1