Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where do we go from here (QB wise) this year and next?

MCnDaHouse

38 minutes ago, MCnDaHouse said:

We'll certainly be toast by the time Colt is ready. Barring a complete collapse by Dallas and Philly.

Actually, i could honestly see it play out like this:

us: beat giants 

Philly: beats Dallas 

-Philly gets the rams after that. Ouch😂 

-Dallas gets the colts. Colts could win that

-we play the jaguars. 

Yes things look bad now, but if all 3 are tied at 7-6 after Sunday, i could see us back in 1st the weekend after. It wouldn’t take a Philly/Dallas collapse for that to happen

1 hour ago, MCnDaHouse said:

That's a pretty serious break Smith had combined with his age has me wondering if he'll be back.

He'll be back for at least two more years. As long as he can pass a physical, he'll want those dollars.

Colt McCoy has to be done with this team. The backup's number one job is to remain upright, and he can't be trusted to go two games of contact without an injury.

I dunno. I think you draft someone in the third or fourth round next year and - at worst - groom him to be the long-term back up to someone. Maybe that guy can bridge you to the next franchise guy in 2019ish.

Also, just kill me.

37 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Oh I blame them completely. Sure, bad luck as well, but there's no other explanation for two years of being the tops in IR. There has to be accountability for these guys having their bodies prepared, stretched, etc. I just don't see this type of stuff with other teams nearly as much. And when our guys go out with a toe injury, they seem to be out for half a season. Something doesn't add up.

Ask every team and they'll say the same. Atlanta was without their entire secondary for a while and have guys like Freeman always hurt. San Fran, philly secondary... it happens to everyone. Also, Turf Toe is a really hard injury to play through. Just ask AJ Green.

Right now, I think we go into limbo for the remainder of 2018 and 19. If Smith can come back and is a go then I think we'll be a borderline playoff team. If not, I hope we let it fall apart so we can try to get best rookie QB prospect we can. The albatross of Smith's contract will pretty make getting another "good" QB all but impossible.

Funny, my best case scenario may be us tanking 2019 and trying to go 2-14.

35 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Right now, I think we go into limbo for the remainder of 2018 and 19. If Smith can come back and is a go then I think we'll be a borderline playoff team. If not, I hope we let it fall apart so we can try to get best rookie QB prospect we can. The albatross of Smith's contract will pretty make getting another "good" QB all but impossible.

There is absolutely no way smith will be ready to go and even if he is, part of his game is running and scrambling and at best he'll be 50% of what he was. I wouldn't count on him for at least half of the year.

After watching this dumpster fire of an offense the last three weeks and knowing we brought bad press upon ourselves with the claiming of foster why not give Kaepernick a workout?

Honestly we're already at the very very bottom of the barrel, what the hell do we have to lose?

There is an immediate need to a QB off the practice squads or the street as for the draft, that is not until April and we should know more about Smith by then.  Some of you, perhaps many of you, have written off Smith I think that is premature he may be able to play next year.  In any case, I don't accept it as a given they have to draft a QB in 2019.  

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Actually, i could honestly see it play out like this:

us: beat giants 

Philly: beats Dallas 

-Philly gets the rams after that. Ouch😂 

-Dallas gets the colts. Colts could win that

-we play the jaguars. 

Yes things look bad now, but if all 3 are tied at 7-6 after Sunday, i could see us back in 1st the weekend after. It wouldn’t take a Philly/Dallas collapse for that to happen

Whatever it is that you're on, you need to get off of it. It's warping your mind. ;)

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Right now, I think we go into limbo for the remainder of 2018 and 19. If Smith can come back and is a go then I think we'll be a borderline playoff cellar dwelling team. If not, I hope we let it fall apart so we can try to get best rookie QB prospect we can. The albatross of Smith's contract will pretty make getting a another "good" QB all but impossible.

Fixed that for you. :silly:

As for Alex surprising us and coming back for camp or for the start to the season, I'd be stunned.  And no I am not a medical expert but as I've said on different threads, I am watching my kid recover from a milder version of the same broken bones and 8 months later he's not even cleared to play flag football.   Though granted everyone heals differently.  My guess is Alex at best is ready mid season -- on a personal basis I am rooting for the best for him -- as a Redskins fan I can care less if he comes back or not -- bad enough I thought he was without an injury to recover from but definitely not looking forward to a 35 year old who already plays tentatively IMO coming off of that injury.  

https://thefandc.radio.com/dan-snyder-still-furious-with-bruce-allen

People inside Redskins Park have quietly expressed concern that Alex Smith's recovery will take longer than initially expected, Chris Russell tells The Sports Junkies.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://thefandc.radio.com/dan-snyder-still-furious-with-bruce-allen

People inside Redskins Park have quietly expressed concern that Alex Smith's recovery will take longer than initially expected, Chris Russell tells The Sports Junkies.

You don't tug on Superman's cape

You don't spit into the wind

You don't tug the mask off the old Lone Ranger

and you DON'T trade with Andy Reid for a QB and then immediately extend said quarterback.

I actually think that Alex Smith was better for us than we thought. Maybe it was just his professonalism or toughness, but he made just enough plays with his arms, legs, and smarts to get us to 6-3. Non the less, given the injury that was not the Front Office's or Alex's fault... we have been twice burned by Andy Reid ex-QBs. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times???

If Andy Reid had any conscience, he would trade Fuller and Mahomes to us in 2019 for a 7th rounder and a return of Smith. I mean... Smith had to still be on warranty, right?

43 minutes ago, Burgold said:

\

I actually think that Alex Smith was better for us than we thought. Maybe it was just his professonalism or toughness, but he made just enough plays with his arms, legs, and smarts to get us to 6-3.

25th in the league in QBR when he stopped playing sounds about right to me.   He reminded me a lot of Brunell -- like Brunell he was a cool dude and respected and had moments when he was younger for a different team but the 34 year old version of the dude seemed to be a player on the decline and painful to watch when you compared him apples to apples to most starting QBs in the league. Like in Brunell's case, the Redskins had a really strong defense and run game with him being the weak point.  Maybe this year was just an adjustment year for Alex but like Brunell am not excited to find out if he can pick it up at 35 years old let alone doing so after a major injury.  

And he was 6-4 by the way not 6-3.  He was given the loss for his performance in the Texan game versus a pass as if he didn't play -- if you look up his W-L stat on pro reference you'd see that.  Going into the 3rd quarter with about a 25 QBR rating, 2 INTs and a 10 point deficit wasn't exactly him putting the team on course for a win.   They lost 2 out of the last three games he played and it could have easily been 3 in a row, considering they put up a measly 16 points against a wretched Tampa defense and probably even would have hit that mark if it wasn't for the defense handing them good field position.    

But as I said back then when Colt was in the wings -- the dynamic reminded me of the Rex-Beck dynamic (albeit with both Colt and Alex being better than Rex-Beck) where one extreme made people crave the other extreme.  If Colt ended up playing, Id bet it would have been a rodeo up and down with us craving the sugary food and the spicy with neither food been great and at the end of the season we'd know we need to do something else -- as Gibbs ultimately did by drafting Campbell and I presume this FO will do, too.

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He'll be back for at least two more years. As long as he can pass a physical, he'll want those dollars.

Colt McCoy has to be done with this team. The backup's number one job is to remain upright, and he can't be trusted to go two games of contact without an injury.

I dunno. I think you draft someone in the third or fourth round next year and - at worst - groom him to be the long-term back up to someone. Maybe that guy can bridge you to the next franchise guy in 2019ish.

Also, just kill me.

Just to be clear - I agree with your post. The laugh icon was for the last statement. Thanks for the laugh. 

I like the idea of finding a capable backup in the draft next year. The problem is whoever is coaching will be temped to make them the starter. We risk getting into a cycle with an average to below average QB trying to make it work. Just suck at QB next yr and get your starter in 2020. 

29 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Just to be clear - I agree with your post. The laugh icon was for the last statement. Thanks for the laugh. 

I like the idea of finding a capable backup in the draft next year. The problem is whoever is coaching will be temped to make them the starter. We risk getting into a cycle with an average to below average QB trying to make it work. Just suck at QB next yr and get your starter in 2020. 

Unless we could get one of the interesting guys from last yea's draft. Kurt Benkert is on Atlanta's PS, Luke Falk was released and then ended up on Miami's bench. If you could get one of those guys cheaply, maybe you get him some PT next year and see if you come up with a potential young backup/trade chip going forward. Unfortunately, my favorite (Mike White) is in Dallas and no way they give him to us.

Perhaps go into next year with McCoy starting, a Sanchez type and a Falk type. I assume Smith starts on the PUP list.

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Need to stop blaming the staff. Injuries are injuries. The real problem is Bruce keeping guys that have an injury history. When you keep and sign guys with injuries, you have to know they will be injured. And some of them are just fluke injuries - for example anyone blaming anything but bad luck for the two broken legs needs some therapy. 

As for Bridgewater, for me anyone you bring in should be a one year rental. The team should be looking at the 2020 draft for their QB. There is no one in the draft this year that should really excite anyone. So I could care less who they bring in for next year. They should just be keeping the seat warm for the rookie they draft in 2020. 

I give to you Malcolm Blacken, director of player development; um, we're not seeing anyone actually develop into anything good. He had 2 stints here prior, both were times this team was horrible.

Chad Englehart; another " Florida Tuskers" Gruden buddy hire.

Paul Kelly; another " Tampa connection". After Tampa got rid of him he went to work with ESPN with their broadcasting team. Great qualification there!

Kavan Latham; 2nd stint here. Before coming back he was with the Jets; now that's a winner!

Jake Sankal; ass't strength & conditioning & nutritionist.  his 3rd year here after being with the Cleveland INDIANS!  A baseball team! Oh, but prior, he worked with teams like the Mahoning Valley Scrappers,  Kinston Indians { guess he likes working with Indians }, Carolina Mudcats { no, not the SELSU Mud Dogs }, and last but not least the Akron RUBBERDUCKS! No, this isn't a typo.

Yes, my fellow Redskin friends, these are the guys who are keeping our players conditioned and healthy.

Sooo, can you please repeat that first line again, a little slower?

Archived