Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official clean house thread.. lay out your plan for the future here

crabbypatty

Gibbs was 11 years ago. 

Snyder's interference in the RG3 situation, under Shanahan and beyond, is well known.

25 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

And if he's interfering via Bruce now, they are keeping that well under wraps. 

Yep, that's what Bruce is here for.  But Bruce's time is coming to an end.  The broken tool must be cast aside.  No mercy.

Put me in the blow it up crowd. And to be honest with you... I say for all Redskin fans to cease and desist (if you can) buying anymore season tickets or tickets, merchandise etc. period UNTIL our football charlaton of an owner starts to get down to business and hire a GM (with FULL personnel authority). That's all we ask. It's like he doesn't want, or will not do the one thing that WE want... why should we do ANYTHING he wants. As fans, we are now on strike. Hire a GM.

:P

Get rid of Bruce Allen and hire/promote a GM with total authority.  Skins absolutely need a football guy who can navigate the Cap Hell the team will be under while dealing with Smith's guaranteed contract.  The team's best players on Offense are aging and/or often injured.  There are no real WRs on the team comparable to those in the competitive tier.  One of the starting CBs has a nerve injury and the other is an over-priced vet.  Opponents repeatedly expose the slowness of the ILB group and the team has one reliable but old OLB.  In sum these are MAJOR issues for the franchise and the Skins don't have a track record of being able to handle those decisions.  New head office and a rebuild.  Time to admit that it didn't work.  

Gruden stated several times in the spring and summer that the team was built and was ready to win now. Smith was not playing great, but we were winning, were 6-3 and in first place when he went down for the season. With all the injuries, including losing Guice in the preseason, I think Gruden should get the benefit of the doubt and get another season to see what he can do with a full arsenal. Now, who knows if Smith is able to return, but if he does along with Guice and a new receiver or two, I don't think it's impossible to contend with a healthy Smith in his second year in the system. That's obviously a huge if if Smith can come back healthy, but I'm hoping he can.

Today's NFL is a year to year league and the last three NFC participant's- Carolina, Atlanta and Philly are proof that teams can turn it around in one year and anything can happen. None of them have incredible QB's and quite frankly I think Matt Ryan and Cam Newton are overrated. One tweak I would definitely consider is a new DC. Manusky is okay, but he has been fired from his previous 3 DC jobs for a reason. His defenses are inconsistent and can't be trusted game to game. When he was hired, Jim Shwartz, Wade Phillips and Gus Bradley were all available and we whiffed on all three, promoting Manusky from LB coach to DC. The three aforementioned guys we passed on or didn't hire for whatever reason, would have all been much better hires for our DC than Manusky, in my opinion. Todd Bowles is more than likely going to get fired by the Jets at seasons end and I wouldn't hate it if we got rid of Manusky and hired him to be our DC.

I don't think Gruden is great and even question if he's a good coach. Those guys are hard to find. But I can say the same for Dan Quinn in Atlanta, Ron Rivera in Carolina and Doug Pederson in Philly, and they got their teams to a SB. The dynasty era is no more in the NFL- save for the Patriots- and there is a fine line- injuries, turnovers, penalties and just plain luck- between going 11-5 or 5-11 in a lot of cases. Again, not a huge Gruden fan, but I'm willing to give him another year and hope our offense gets and stays healthy just to see what he can do with the O. DC is another story and I would seriously consider cutting ties with Manusky and get Bowles in here to run the D. 

15 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Get rid of Bruce Allen and hire/promote a GM with total authority.  Skins absolutely need a football guy who can navigate the Cap Hell the team will be under while dealing with Smith's guaranteed contract.  The team's best players on Offense are aging and/or often injured.  There are no real WRs on the team comparable to those in the competitive tier.  One of the starting CBs has a nerve injury and the other is an over-priced vet.  Opponents repeatedly expose the slowness of the ILB group and the team has one reliable but old OLB.  In sum these are MAJOR issues for the franchise and the Skins don't have a track record of being able to handle those decisions.  New head office and a rebuild.  Time to admit that it didn't work.  

They need an owner who is not a tiny handed moron who has single handedly destroyed a franchise. A gm means nothing with the thunderbird pulling the strings

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Gibbs was 11 years ago. 

Snyder's interference in the RG3 situation, under Shanahan and beyond, is well known.

Yep, that's what Bruce is here for.  But Bruce's time is coming to an end.  The broken tool must be cast aside.  No mercy.

actually it's what Shanny claimed after the fact.  I don't trust Shanahan

12 minutes ago, carex said:

actually it's what Shanny claimed after the fact.  I don't trust Shanahan 

I am not giving Shanahan a pass.  He, Snyder, and Allen, all three, were involved in the trade decision and all deserve a share of the blame.

The part in 2013 where Snyder undermined Shanahan at RG3's behest, that part is entirely on Snyder.

If you cant build the house theres certainly no point in cleaning it out. Our own talent evaluators have no idea what they have in their own players and neither do most of the coaches. But I'll play...

Needs to go:

Dan needs to sell

Bruce needs to be fired immediately

Gruden needs to go (our players are not prepared)

Manusky needs to go (too much talent to suck, its obvious teams are picking on Foster and he hasnt benched him. It only takes one weak link to exploit an entire defense, his speed is not starter quality and teams know this. I was keying in on him and he was awful in space, absolutely atrocious)

Plan:

Offer Nick Saban the fattest wad of cash he's ever seen to coach some toughness into the team. 

Get him surrounded by like-minded individuals, but a massive emphasis needs to be put on finding him an OC that can run modern offensive plays. His job is to oversee the operations and ensure this program is operating pristinely with tough practices and a winning attitude. I promise you this guy can win at the NFL level. 

DO NOT MAKE A STUPID TRADE FOR A QB!

Complete overhaul of our training facility and reputable strength and conditioning coach. So tired of the injuries

Hire a real GM

Build the leagues worst offense so we can properly tank while we continue to build our defense. When we get a high pick, use it on a QB obviously. 

Acquire more picks somehow

All I got for now as well

10 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

Well folks, here we are once again with the wheels having fallen off yet another season. The 4-2 euphoria of early October is long gone.

It's the same 'ol story. Poor playcalling, poor execution, poor preparation, gobs of injuries.. stop me if you've heard this one before.

I among many are ready to see old Danny boy bust out the broom and do a complete clean sweep. Not this half assed fire this or that coordinator.. It's time to clean house.. the ENTIRE house from top to bottom.

Does he have the balls to do it? Time will tell. But for the meantime, I thought it would be a fun exercise to see what we could come up with collectively as a future roadmap for this franchise. So with that being said, here's my half baked plan:

*Fire Bruce (duh) Completely gut the FO. Maybe keep the cap guy and the scouting dept, but time to hire a GM with a plan and map out the future of the franchise.

*Can the coaching staff. And I mean the entire staff, from the HC to the strength guy to the nutritionist. Let the incoming regime decide who they want where.

*Return to the ZBS scheme. (This is just a personal wish of mine for the incoming staff) Obviously this is dependent on the coach that gets hired, but I'm convinced all the OL injuries year after year are a disastrous result of Gruden's "power running" scheme, where you've got upwards of 15-20 bodies around the LOS all bunched up between the hashes. Bodies fall everywhere and I think it's directly responsible for all the lower body injuries the OL sustains year after year. I don't recall too many lower injuries when we ran the ball with shanny's ZBS, and the running game was MUCH better back in those days, despite being manned by guys like Lictensteiger and Tyler Polumbus and Will Montgomery.

*Draft a QB. With the albatross of Smith's contract hanging around for the next 2 years, a QB on a rookie deal is important. Not saying they have to trade up to the top 5, but it's important they draft a qb this year.

*Jettison some large contracts. Norman, Reed, love you guys but cya. McGee, Davis and Foster, it's been swell, but bye. Allow P Smith and Crowder to leave via FA.

*continue to build through the draft. We've got lots of good young pieces along the OL and DL, even some youngsters in the secondary I think can do better than the position they're being put in now.  Where we're really lacking is the skill position guys. QB and WR most notably. All we can do on that front is hope we can draft those positions better than the last 25 years. No more Heath Shulers or Rod Gardners please.

That's all I got for now.

No, especially the scouts; they need to be some of the first to go.

Their interpretation of what this team needs and what the team really needs are 2 different things.

We have 1 WR over 6'2 and that's Doctson; in fact, he plays shorter and emotionless. { well, except for that dumb Eagles fly thing he did }.

This team needs 1 or 2 AJ Green-type players, who have the ability to jump up and catch a ball. These current bums run routes that wouldn't shake a grandmother; slow, not even attempting to cut, they just kinda veer into a gradual turn. If they had speed it may be different, but they're not losing anyone in the secondary.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Gibbs was 11 years ago. 

It is? Well known?

Maybe my mind is just blanking out from all of the hatred I have for Bruce Allen, but I was under the assumption that Shanahan didn't care for Griffin much and that's why he insisted on drafting Cousins?

I know MS's hands were tied with the Griffin thing, because Snyder and the FO yes man Allen wanted Griffin to start without any interference or distractions, but it wasn't MS's fault Griffin only knew how to play sandlot football. One positive thing I can definitely say about MS, and that's he knew how to get a running game going, especially with the lackluster o-line we had back then.

46 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I was under the assumption that Shanahan didn't care for Griffin much and that's why he insisted on drafting Cousins?

I think you're confused about what I'm saying.  I'm not here to bash or praise Shanahan.  I'm simply saying that Snyder was involved with the RG3 debacle from start to finish and everywhere in between. March 2012 through August 2015.

Consider this.  

Redskins need football people. There are just to many ‘executive’ types that lack the required knowledge of the game.  One name that keeps popping into my brain is Bruce Arians.  Not as a HC but as President of Football Operations in a role similar to Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville.  Arians is extremely knowledgeable but also knows quarterbacks which is the most important position in football.  Let Arians set the plan on how the team will be built, pick the HC that fits the style he wants to play and surround himself with people that can find the talent that fits that style..

Arians has stated that there is only one HC job that would interest him and bring him out of retirement and that is Cleveland Browns.  It is interesting because the Browns are almost as dysfunctional as the Redskins.  The Browns may very well be targeting Arians for HC and it would not surprise me in the least if he is announced the day after the season.  But...if he doesn’t get that job...then maybe the Redskins can approach him for the higher position of being in charge of the entire football operations.  He gets to pick his HC and GM. Give Arians carte blanche control over all football related decisions.

I think this would be a brilliant move IMO...because Arians is well-respected, knowledgeable and a leader who is also no-nonsense and players liked playing for him so he would have the respect in order to keep the team focused even without being the HC.  Too many times teams hire the brilliant coordinator that may have been good in his position but doesn’t transition into a HC who is more of a CEO rather than coach of the team.  Arians can fill that void and pick a top coordinator who can then concentrate on doing what he does best which is coach.  So the oligarchy begins with Arians with a GM and HC under him with a separate branch that deals with business related issues like cap space, contracts, stadium, facilities etc.   

This way Arians runs everything football related and people like Schaffer and LaFemina can still stay on working on business related issues.  Whether Kyle Smith and Doug Williams stays will depend on whether Arians deems them worthy.  It will be his call.

I really think this could restore confidence in the team and satisfy the fans while also bring stability to the franchise.  What do you all think?

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't think he interfered with Gibbs and Shanahan much at all.

And if he's interfering via Bruce now, they are keeping that well under wraps.

He's certainly not going on scouting trips any longer.

FWIW I've heard it strongly inferred by hosts on 980 and 106.7 that Snyder forced McNabb on Shanahan.

1 minute ago, Despy said:

FWIW I've heard it strongly inferred by hosts on 980 and 106.7 that Snyder forced McNabb on Shanahan.

Yeah, it's amazing how, after repeatedly claiming he had full control over everything, that everything bad that happened under Shanahan turned out to be something that was forced on him, and he was not allowed to draft all these guys who turned out to be stars elsewhere.

He truly must be the greatest football mind ever. It's a shame that both stints where he supposedly had control of personnel turned out so horribly. If only he hadn't been thwarted by those evil meddling owners!

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, it's amazing how, after repeatedly claiming he had full control over everything, that everything bad that happened under Shanahan turned out to be something that was forced on him, and he was not allowed to draft all these guys who turned out to be stars elsewhere.

He truly must be the greatest football mind ever. It's a shame that both stints where he supposedly had control of personnel turned out so horribly. If only he hadn't been thwarted by those evil meddling owners!

It actually makes sense to me since McNabb burned the Skins so badly in the late 90's. He probably thought he was still a good player and it backfired badly 

33 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Consider this.  

Redskins need football people. There are just to many ‘executive’ types that lack the required knowledge of the game.  One name that keeps popping into my brain is Bruce Arians.  Not as a HC but as President of Football Operations in a role similar to Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville.  Arians is extremely knowledgeable but also knows quarterbacks which is the most important position in football.  Let Arians set the plan on how the team will be built, pick the HC that fits the style he wants to play and surround himself with people that can find the talent that fits that style..

Arians has stated that there is only one HC job that would interest him and bring him out of retirement and that is Cleveland Browns.  It is interesting because the Browns are almost as dysfunctional as the Redskins.  The Browns may very well be targeting Arians for HC and it would not surprise me in the least if he is announced the day after the season.  But...if he doesn’t get that job...then maybe the Redskins can approach him for the higher position of being in charge of the entire football operations.  He gets to pick his HC and GM. Give Arians carte blanche control over all football related decisions.

I think this would be a brilliant move IMO...because Arians is well-respected, knowledgeable and a leader who is also no-nonsense and players liked playing for him so he would have the respect in order to keep the team focused even without being the HC.  Too many times teams hire the brilliant coordinator that may have been good in his position but doesn’t transition into a HC who is more of a CEO rather than coach of the team.  Arians can fill that void and pick a top coordinator who can then concentrate on doing what he does best which is coach.  So the oligarchy begins with Arians with a GM and HC under him with a separate branch that deals with business related issues like cap space, contracts, stadium, facilities etc.   

This way Arians runs everything football related and people like Schaffer and LaFemina can still stay on working on business related issues.  Whether Kyle Smith and Doug Williams stays will depend on whether Arians deems them worthy.  It will be his call.

I really think this could restore confidence in the team and satisfy the fans while also bring stability to the franchise.  What do you all think?

You have to remember that when Arians was asked, the only job open was the Browns job. He's not going to say "I want the Packers job" while McCarthy still had his job. Likewise, he won't say that he wants some other job that already has a coach. Arians will probably have his pick of jobs this offseason.

Archived